• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone else find the alien romance in Mass Effect unappealing?

HoosTrax

Cringeworthy and unwatchable. I'd much rather we go back to the days of BG2, where the sexual component of the romances was implied and left up to the player's imagination.

We haven't nearly gotten to the levels of animation quality to make those scenes not janky.

flkraven

Liara T'Soni is the sexiest video game character of all time, and anyone saying they wouldn't marry her in a heartbeat is an outright liar.

Glass Rebel

Seeing how the human interactions in ME are similarly unappealing, I don't think it has anything to do with the characters' races.

ref

All the romances are terrible.

Was just about to say this.

None of the romances in the ME series are done particularly well, however if I had to choose which game in the series did them best, it'd be ME1 (amongst many other things, but that's just me).

I also just didn't care for the personalities of the alien characters post ME1, mostly Liara.

Liara was a character who was forced on Shepard, romance or not. Also seemed like a bit of a stalker to me.

Also this.

I tried it once in ME1 and that was enough for me to never pursue that shit in other games. Quite frankly it's embarrassing and you want it to be over as soon as possible, before someone walks into the room. I can't imagine any adult not being embarrassed by the sex scenes.

Taker34

Banned
The Tali romance impressed me. Never thought a video game could make me care about virtual characters that much. Really emotional. I also thought the alien romances were the best because you can date (real) women in real life at any time... so that was too ordinary for my playthroughs.
Talimancers unite!!!

thatJohann

Nothing beats this hotness
tumblr_m15d9m8c5D1rn4yl3o1_500.gif

Ashley IS a space racist/spacist and so are you OP, you two deserve each other.

Doesn't Ashley get over her prejudices in ME3? I can't remember

Mononoke

Banned
I mean, did anyone find the romance stuff fulfilling anyways? I mean from a plot perspective. I never really felt like it carried through in the three games, so it didn't really matter. Plus, IMO BioWare has always been pretty bad at establishing relationships in their games. It always feels clunky and forced.

Ishida

Banned
I did. I mean, who the fuck would ever consider stuff like this attractive?

mass-effect-liara-gif-h1n-net.png

Blue skin, and some tentacle-like stuff instead of hair? No fucking thanks. Some people are sick.

It was written like fanfiction by a 15-year old trekkie, and I play VNs so I know bad romance plots. "Oh, human commander, let's engage in the act of mating which is so different for us aliens. We still get to make out though. Did I mention I was an alien?"

Ogimachi

I don't think it could ever be good, really. EDI and Joker was probably one of the worse lowest points in Bioware history, and that's saying something.

KORNdoggy

I went liara first (because i liked her character and she wasn't a racist)
But then I went for tali for game 2/3 because again, i liked her character (it was better developed then most) and she wasn't a complete bitch like miranda.

I like that the romances are there since it's something to do and builds the characters up more. But i could do without the cheesy, awkward "sex" scene once you reach the "climax" of the relationship. It just kind of cheapens it all.

Taker34

Banned
29121lue3f.gif

I've got this feeling, so appealing,
For us to get together and sing. Sing!

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring banana phone

How can that be unappealing?

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Yeah, it was so forced.

Saints Row IV did a good job at making fun of that aspect of the game.

No issue with them being alien - that's a bonus more than anything. Their personalities just weren't appealing. Mordin and Garrus were the only good characters in the whole franchise.

zma1013

In Mass Effect 2, romancing Garrus lead to what is perhaps the funniest line in the entire Mass Effect series ever.

If you talk to Mordin about it he goes through this whole speech about the dangers of cross species intercourse and eventually pulls this out:
"Turians based on dextro-amino acids. Human ingestion of tissue could provoke allergic reactions. Anaphylactic shock possible. So don't, ah, ingest."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLWzmeI1QWc

Top Bottom