• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone else find the alien romance in Mass Effect unappealing?

T'Zariah

Banned
I haven't played as FemShep (no desire really, but I do say I like her with Thane and Garrus), but the alien romances for MaleShep just don't do it for me at all. Something about it is just…blah.

Liara? Hate it.

Samara? Nope.

Morinth? She fucking kills me.

Tali? LOL

I'm on TeamAshley all the way. The haters can suck it. The girl had character development, and I wish you'd stop calling her a racist, especially when she has a LEGIT reason to not like them.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What do you mean Tali, "LOL"? :mad:

Courage

If we're gonna go ahead with this...

TeamMiranda all the way. It was the better scene, after all. Liara's one in the third game is a runnerup.

What? all that analysis and no mention of Male Shepards one, true romance?

Miranda.jpg

Silky

Banned
I'm on TeamAshley all the way. The haters can suck it. The girl had character development, and I wish you'd stop calling her a racist, especially when she has a LEGIT reason to not like them.

I--Nope. You should consider rewording this comment.

I believe Romance in Dragon Age was handled more tastefully than ME.

It always feels forced to me. It felt the same in the Witcher games, too.

Oh, Geralt...please remain faithful to me! I would, baby, if only I didn't have to collect all these tit trading cards!

Every romance is kind of "awkward", I guess it's something to do with facial and body animations or whatever, it just feels fucking weird. I can enjoy the part where we get to know a bit more about the partners, but the going to bed part isn't necessary.

Oh and Tali was the most interesting one OP.

I was a Team Ashley girl in the first game, but she does a heel turn against you for no good reason, and come on... She's a space racist. Don't be crazy. Having a "legit reason" to be racist doesn't make you any less racist. I had a former roommate who claimed a certain ethnic group was not able to raise children properly, and this wasn't in fact racist because he worked with a lot of kids of this race from broken homes. NOPE. Still racist.

Also, Tali all the way.

Turian/Human makes minimal sense. Quarian/Human makes minimal sense. On the other hand, the Asari were designed specifically with romance in mind, and they are so awful as a result. An entire species of bisexual women, and every single one of them is thin, toned, has pretty facial features and a generous bust. They also live for thousands of years and all have psychic powers. This is some next level mary sue / waifu bullshit for the Star Trek crowd. The Drell in ME2 were designed to be romance options too, but are a much better design in general.

Personally I am not into any of it. Then again, none of the romance options in the series were very appealing. Miranda was the one I picked for my main shep, but when the competition are all aliens, racists or C tier side characters, that's not saying much.

What? all that analysis and no mention of Male Shepards one, true romance?

Not safe for anything.

The Tali romance was adorable. I think Jack is probably my favorite option but my main Shepard went with Tali.

I never liked Liara though.

El-Suave

The romance of Tali and my Shepard was one of the highlights of my playthrough, but Bioware totally messed up the ending. I'm not talking about it in context with the game's ending, but the execution of their final scene was super sloppy. Again, not complaining about the character arcs but the awful, lackluster cut scene.

Bioware romances feel too contextualised. That's my main gripe with it. They do try to make it better, by creating some level of longetivity built from prior comradeship ( Tali, Liara ), but it definitely doesn't have a very strong coherence because all of them fall too easily into a 'Bioware Romance Structure.'

As far as a single game is concerned, I still think the way they've handled the romance in KoToR to be the best... despite the horrible lines. There were very context heavy moments that build that core romance into something that feels very well integrated as part of the main story, instead of just a distraction .

I thought the romance in FFX was great, but in Mass Effect it felt forced.

Romances in linear RPGs are definitely easier to tell better, given that the development can happen within the context of how they want to tell it. It can happen in the midst of a major boss fight or cutscene just as it can during a regular city-hub scene.

Bioware romances fall too easily in the structure of 'four-five conversation in-basae pieces => romance.' Because you can determine how you build your story progression + who you bring as your party, it's hard to build in-the-moment romantic development.

Jawmuncher

I actually thought all the romances were pretty good in ME. At least for what they are anyway. Still say Liara has the best path since you can continue going through 3 games thanks to the Shadow Broker DLC which handled her absence in ME2 extremely well. This is coming from a FemShep player though.

Marvel

could never
The Jack romance was good, one of my extra Sheps dated her. I just wanted to protect her and treat her differently to how everyone else did.

Daww.

My true love was Tali though.

VaizardNL

Banned
Every romance is kind of "awkward", I guess it's something to do with facial and body animations or whatever, it just feels fucking weird. I can enjoy the part where we get to know a bit more about the partners, but the going to bed part isn't necessary.

Oh and Tali was the most interesting one OP.

I agree, always enjoyed everything leading up to the romance and especially the one with Tali. The sex-scenes didn't disturb me or felt awkward at all + it's not like you saw anything anyway.

Why no mention of Jack? Arguably the best romance in the Mass Effect series. One that is filled with genuine emotions and actually gives you the feels as opposed to "We'll bang okay?"

Getting the angry Jack to come out of her shell and getting her to a point where she lets her guard down around you is one of the most 'human' moments in the series. Bravo!

If you dislike Jack because of her shaved head or tattoos that just shows you are shallow
Much better than Miranda teeNay Lawson

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I never followed the romance options. In fact, I got super annoyed when my femShep was just talking to Jacob in ME2 trying to, ya know, bond, and so I selected the "how are you doing?" conversation option and she leaned up against a nearby console and was like "so uh....how ya doing?" and from that point on I couldn't talk to Jacob anymore

inky

Fuck romances. The world universe is going to end, it's all about the casual sex.

First game, Ashley, sure. Promise her the world or whatever.
Second game, oh, she's not there? Too bad, there's always Chambers, who, for someone that apparently got passed around on the ship, takes a considerable amount of effort to "romance". When you see her in her "outfit" you know you made the right choice. This girl is a sex fiend.
Third Game, oh I guess Chambers decided to pursue a life in the slums... well tell her to move on or let her die, whatever. Hmm, that robot lady has a camel toe... oh fuck you Joker, I guess you can have that one. Well, everyone is going to die, so you might as well bang Chobot. She'll never tell, so her journalistic integrity isn't tarnished. LOL, everyone knows that's why she got a place on your ship anyway. I'm pretty sure Tali's vagina (if she even got one) is toxic, so I wouldn't recommend her.
Liara is the only real answer. She's the most developed and actually has particularly good scenes that don't always boil down to "look at the naked blue alien from the race of space babes that only exist to fuck".

Yeah, I never followed the romance options. In fact, I got super annoyed when my femShep was just talking to Jacob in ME2 trying to, ya know, bond, and so I selected the "how are you doing?" conversation option and she leaned up against a nearby console and was like "so uh....how ya doing?" and from that point on I couldn't talk to Jacob anymore

Why would you WANT to talk to Jacob?

However I did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars? - Zapp Brannigan

DarkKyo

I don't know what you're talking about. The human characters were so boring. Give me Tali any day... Dat voice.. dem hips...

Calibus

Found the aliens (as love interests) unappealing myself. And yes, I too am Team Ashley all the way. She could really only be considered "racist" in the first ME (and even then that was questionable since you got a cut-scene where she actually defended aliens against racism to that Terra Firma protester on the Citadel). By ME3, her character had developed to a point where she even grew close to some of the non-Human team members.

fernoca

Went with Liara in the first game, and Jack in the second..because I couldn't go with Kaidan (as a male Sheppard) in the first game.

So, went with Kaidan (all the way) in the third game. XD

RoSnvhS.jpg

And turned out his real!!
and gay too!!!

Part of the problem with romances in Dragon Age and Mass Effect is that the end result always seems to be an embarrassing sex scene. Watching two animated characters go at it is not even remotely exciting - in fact, it's the exact opposite, and in some ways, acts to cheapen the romance as a whole. You could have a romance between two characters in a game that doesn't lead to them banging, and reduce the cringe-worthiness of the relationship significantly as a result.

Fox Mulder

The romance stuff was shallow and embarrassing really. Talking to characters like three times in obvious ways leads to an awkward sex scene, how neat.

Top Bottom