• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro on water rendering

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Horizon FW currently has the best water.

Yv73iLz.gif

MujkicHaris

SlimySnake SlimySnake Those look more like flowmaps which give good results and are super cheap. Fluid simulation is a lot more chaotic and still quite expensive for large environments. I could be wrong though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Haven't watched yet, but I always think of Super Mario Sunshine. You just wanted to drink that water.

Edit: I guess I have watched this last time they posted it, lol. But I'll watch it again. Water is cool. And refreshing.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yep. Ironically it was really kind of an ugly game overall, though. Has to be the ugliest of the 3d Mario games imo.

I like how the environments look (even though they're a bit samey), but there are some god-awful character designs in that game.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Crosspost
I started replaying F.E.A.R. yesterday on my Deck and just had to record a video :

I'm stunned.
In the game, water has no important role at all, and yet F.E.A.R. manages to present water in a more interactive and interesting way than most of today's games.

And let's face it, the game is from 2005, so it's almost 17 years old.

SjCG2xY.jpg

By the way, it runs on just under 8watts on the Deck, absolutely amazing when I consider that my 600watt PC was really struggling back then.

The game and this sequence in particular just blew me away.
How good it looks, how well it plays and what technical finesse it offers, all with minimal power consumption.

First water to blow me away was the Ico demo. Jumping into the pool under the windmill was something else. I even called my dad in to look at it and even he was impressed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom