• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro on water rendering

Portugeezer

What was the first game which impressed you with its water? For me it was Mario Sunshine, followed by Halo 3. Amazing water for the time.

Shoutout Wii U water guy

oP9yX7N.png

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Freaking loved reflections and water in games when i grew up, morrowind was amazing in this after that what impressed me was half life 2.

Last edited:

solidus12

The music that plays during the 23 minute mark, I’m pretty sure it’s from Tekken 4 or 5, but I can’t remember.

Can someone help me find it?

There’s no mention of Tekken at the end of the video.

For me the 1st time I was blown away by a Water Effect was in Revenge Of Shinobi on the Waterfall stage. In terms of 3D Panzer Dragon series on the Saturn just blew me away with each entry in the series, the world wind-water effect in Saga in particular was incredible

Skifi28

Wait, is this a new video or a reupload? I could have sworn they already did a video on water rendering.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I still don’t think I’ve seen water as impressive as Mario Sunshine ever since. I’m not talking about large bodies of water (that’s been done to death and with incredible realism); I’m talking about the water gun mechanics. Not only are the physics awesome, but the visual effects it produces still astound me to this day for a game released in 2002. Shooting the Fludd directly into the camera absolutely never gets old for me.

TVexperto

First one that really left an impact on me? Probably Wave Race 64:

814582-941722_20070810_001.jpg

OIP.FP2t8Mz2dxxQ96kYB13UoQAAAA

Best today? Sea of Thieves still holds that crown:

main-qimg-1507c21b7994e9f38e88c48a28d02747

f6c70af75bbf86655cd23671a5dc6681.gif

giphy2.gif
I remember when MIcrosoft was buillshitting us and saying things like this:

Yonyx

It is a re-upload.

The best is still Wave Race 64, especially because of its physics.

Nintendo 64 launched in 1996 in Japan, not in 1995 how it says in the video.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It is a re-upload.

The best is still Wave Race 64, especially because of its physics.

Nintendo 64 launched in 1996 in Japan, not in 1995 how it says in the video.
Blue Storm does everything 64 does water-wise, but way better. Which really shouldn't be a surprise considering it's much more powerful hardware.

As with so many things, though, it seems that we haven't advanced much beyond graphically since. That's a 2001 game.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sigh, this is one thing Saturn has many great examples of in 3D games yet all they show is the first Panzer Dragoon which was the crudest of the series and Tomb Raider on Saturn. Zwei and Saga have even better and more varied water effects and stuff like Powerslave do water at least as good as Quake they show on PC, especially the underwater lighting/caustics. Edit: ok so they do show more Saturn stuff like this, I thought they weren't gonna go backwards in time again after the intro skips them all and goes to later more modern stuff. My bad.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
For me, it was probably Far Cry 3.

12806950-1424452858.jpg

It's nothing special nowadays, but back then, I thought FC3 had the prettiest water and beaches and grass dunes I had ever seen in a game.

Hunnybun

I think the first game to impress me must've been Mario 64, but I can't say it made that vivid an impression, really. At the time Wave Race was the one everyone talked about, but for me it was always more just technically impressive rather than actually beautiful.

I think the first game where the water was actually positively beautiful rather than just technically impressive was probably Mario Sunshine, though. It just looked gorgeous in some of those areas.

Three

Crysis was the first time I was seriously impressed with water.

Video was poor, it spent way too much time with HL and Fear and didn’t cover much the great looking water in Sea of thieves, Horizon FW, and didn't do the ship level for UC3 because he "didn't have a save file"? Really?

Last edited:

Yonyx

Blue Storm does everything 64 does water-wise, but way better. Which really shouldn't be a surprise considering it's much more powerful hardware.

As with so many things, though, it seems that we haven't advanced much beyond graphically since. That's a 2001 game.

I've played a lot of both games and I prefer the physics of WR64 and how they interact with the jet ski controls. However, the sad part is that those two games have not been clearly surpassed in terms of water physics.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President

Nah, the water in BS is ugly.

Top Bottom