• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Ion Fury - Every Console Tested - How An Ancient Engine Stresses Current-Gen CPUs

mr.dilya

Banned
And they have the right to do that. It’s not particularly complicated bro. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thats cool, we agree. So if they have the right to do that why don't you go tell the folks over at resetera to get the stick out their ass and let people enjoy and discuss the games that interest them without having to cater to this or that agenda.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Thats cool, we agree. So if they have the right to do that why don't you go tell the folks over at resetera to get the stick out their ass and let people enjoy and discuss the games that interest them without having to cater to this or that agenda.

Sorry, I’m neither a moderator nor administrator over at Resetera; I don’t have any control of what’s posted there.

mr.dilya

Banned
Sorry, I’m neither a moderator nor administrator over at Resetera; I don’t have any control of what’s posted there.

You not a moderator or administrator over here either but you in here babbling about bigots and whatnot. Nobody asked you for your input just like nobody asked any of you to like or enjoy ion fury and the dev team. Keep that shit over there where it belongs.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I just realised I can double dip to show the devs who is worth listening to.

WEwTROh.jpg

it’s funny because both times I bought the game because of Era screeching. They really are the best viral marketers

dottme

What I like in this video is how it shows something that looks apparently simple can be much more complicated. Some people on forum should learn not to comment too much without knowing the details.

Also, it reminds me of the Crisis issue where the engine was build targeting high performance single thread CPU but, at the end, multi-thread CPU was what happen in real world and so it was tough to run the game fully for a long time.

Last edited:

TaroYamada

I still need to acquire this on PC, the backlog though...... But I really want to be supportive of what they did with this game.

As for D dark10x just wanted to say I'm a sub and I love your videos. I'm not completely following what's going on at Era but I saw some of it on twitter. You're welcome here, we're primarily a community of folks looking for game-centric discussion and discourse -- I think you'll find it's a better fit.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
You not a moderator or administrator over here either but you in here babbling about bigots and whatnot. Nobody asked you for your input just like nobody asked any of you to like or enjoy ion fury and the dev team. Keep that shit over there where it belongs.

So I’m supposed to keep my opinion to myself just because it doesn’t line up with yours?

🤔

Nah I don’t think I will.

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
So I’m supposed to keep my opinion to myself just because it doesn’t line up with yours?

🤔

Nah I don’t think I will.

That's fine. Keep that same energy for DF. They don't have to add pointless disclaimers to their vids of certain games to satisfy your sensibilities. But the fact that you are disingenuously hiding behind the argument of "that's just my opinion..." shows the weakness of your position.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
That's fine. Keep that same energy for DF. They don't have to add pointless disclaimers to their vids of certain games to satisfy your sensibilities. But the fact that you are disingenuously hiding behind the argument of "that's just my opinion..." shows the weakness of your position.

I’ve made no mention of Digital Foundry, so at this point you’re making assumptions about my opinions. I’ve only lamented being unable to play the game due to Void Point’s political and societal viewpoints and nothing more.

yurqqa

Is this kind of humor really offensive to any reasonable human being ?
It's kinda cheesy and stupid - yes, but to be offended by it you have to have no self-esteem really.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I’ve made no mention of Digital Foundry, so at this point you’re making assumptions about my opinions. I’ve only lamented being unable to play the game due to Void Point’s political and societal viewpoints and nothing more.

What are Voidpoint's political and societal viewpoints? If I make a joke about a gay or trans person does that make me transphobic? Please answer, because at this point you're annoying as hell and you keep bringing this shit up but you never seem to back it.

Last edited:

yurqqa

Sorry for the off in the previous post.

DF video is great and helpful as usual,
I still feel that to fully soak in nostalgia you have to play it on PC.

Thabass

These FPS remakes work and should motivate Microsoft to sell Goldeneye.

Yeah I wouldn't expect it. With Activision having the license for James Bond, Nintendo not budging on giving up the publishing rights, this is one of those games that will probably never see the light of day again. Unless Nintendo gives up the publishing rights.

Mochilador

I played it a bit last week and I could notice the framerate problem.
I hope the update becomes available soon.
Also, what an amazing job you did, D dark10x . You brought plenty of good stuff in that video!

Last edited:
What are these view points? Please list them.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Weighing in as a neutral party, you've come across as the worse party in this discussion. NOLA has his views, and whether you agree with them or not they were presented calmly. You jumped in all angry and told him to fuck off just because you disagree, which is what I'm always hearing ResetEra does. So what makes you any better than them?

cireza

How can you not witness the stutter, unless you never actually boot the game on the consoles you are developing for ? Was this even tested ?

Game looks very good though.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned

I am interested in playing the game but don't want to support some terribly awful developer.

What are these objectionable political and societal viewpoints?

Does the entire developer team share these views?

Any links or citations would be particularly helpful, thanks.

Banned
I am interested in playing the game but don't want to support some terribly awful developer.

they made a gay joke in the game, there's a bottle of lotion that say o-gay on it.... I know they're basically hitler

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
yup

Worst thread on this site.

Saruhashi

Banned
they made a gay joke in the game, there's a bottle of lotion that say o-gay on it.... I know they're basically hitler

So if this is true, and that's ALL there is, it seems INCREDIBLY shitty to go on to a videogame forum and imply that the devs have done something so horrendously awful that not only should nobody buy their game but anyone even covering the game from a technical perspective is in need of criticism and harassment also.

Anything to add NOLA_Gaffer NOLA_Gaffer ?

This just seems like a daft joke and not any kind of political or social commentary.
What exactly are the developer's societal and political viewpoints?

Just to be clear I think it is really, really, scummy behavior to allude to some vague idea that the developers are bad enough that people should think twice before buying their game without just coming right out and providing the evidence.

mr.dilya

Banned
Weighing in as a neutral party, you've come across as the worse party in this discussion. NOLA has his views, and whether you agree with them or not they were presented calmly. You jumped in all angry and told him to fuck off just because you disagree, which is what I'm always hearing ResetEra does. So what makes you any better than them?

You aren't neutral at all. He calmly called the developers bigots and was called out on it not only by me but by others as well, but then ofc when pressed he falls back on oh well that's just my opinion. He would be able to do that on resetera because anyone disagreeing with his stance would be banned outright. What makes me better than them is that I have no wish for him to be banned for his opinion. When I told him to take that shit over to resetera I was speaking tongue in cheek.

Mato

I blame this video for reigniting my passion for old-school FPSs that resulted in the addition of 4 new games in my wishlist. Ion Fury, Wrath, Kingpin and Quake II.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

Post #74 ITT has the Discord quotes.

The short version is that a couple of the devs were having a discussion about things they didn't agree with and how insane people doxx and ruin lives over disagreeing with someone, and ResetEra went mental over it.

In Ion Fury there was something with "FAGBAG" written on it which got removed, and a bottle of OGAY instead of Olay. The latter is still in the game.

I don't think Ogay is funny enough to be a joke put in the game, which is the bigger crime here. Comedy is fine if it's funny, and this isn't. Maybe it was an inside joke for the devs.

You aren't neutral at all. He calmly called the developers bigots and was called out on it not only by me but by others as well, but then ofc when pressed he falls back on oh well that's just my opinion. He would be able to do that on resetera because anyone disagreeing with his stance would be banned outright. What makes me better than them is that I have no wish for him to be banned for his opinion. When I told him to take that shit over to resetera I was speaking tongue in cheek.
That's now how it comes across. He wasn't being a prick about it. He simply presented his view, and your response was "More like they came to their senses and told you twerps to go fuck yourselves." Banning has nothing to do with it, you told him to take the opinion somewhere else. Just because you didn't force it with a ban, the end result would be the same - him either not expressing his opinion or immediately conforming to your opinion.

"You not a moderator or administrator over here either but you in here babbling about bigots and whatnot. Nobody asked you for your input just like nobody asked any of you to like or enjoy ion fury and the dev team. Keep that shit over there where it belongs." There's little that's tongue in cheek about that.

I don't see how I'm not being neutral unless I'm missing the word "Bigot" to be hugely offensive to you for some reason.

I'm willing to bet he hasn't responded further because he's not getting the same tone back as he's giving out. If you want a reasonable discussion, a sharing of ideas, don't be a dick about it.

NOLA_Gaffer NOLA_Gaffer , if you do feel like discussing it further, I'd be curious to hear about what you think about the idea of the game vs the team vs the individual devs matter, which is similar to Randy Pitchford and Borderlands 3 when people said they would not buy that because of him. Should we punish the whole company and devs for how one person acts/feels/thinks? I think there's an argument to be made for thinking of the other 99% not being made responsible for the actions of a few.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Man I love Johns work but for Christ’s sake he needs to grow a fucking backbone and tell these people to fuck off. He breaks and bends at the knee far FAR too easily. They’re not going to destroy DF, John. They’re too afraid to even leave their fucking houses. Quit being John Candy from National Lampoons Vacation.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Man I love Johns work but for Christ’s sake he needs to grow a fucking backbone and tell these people to fuck off. He breaks and bends at the knee far FAR too easily. They’re not going to destroy DF, John. They’re too afraid to even leave their fucking houses. Quit being John Candy from National Lampoons Vacation.

Indeed. If you create good content, people will come. Miserable SJW are only a small portion of society, luckily.

Saruhashi

Banned
Post #74 ITT has the Discord quotes.

The short version is that a couple of the devs were having a discussion about things they didn't agree with and how insane people doxx and ruin lives over disagreeing with someone, and ResetEra went mental over it.

In Ion Fury there was something with "FAGBAG" written on it which got removed, and a bottle of OGAY instead of Olay. The latter is still in the game.

I don't think Ogay is funny enough to be a joke put in the game, which is the bigger crime here. Comedy is fine if it's funny, and this isn't. Maybe it was an inside joke for the devs.

That's now how it comes across. He wasn't being a prick about it. He simply presented his view, and your response was "More like they came to their senses and told you twerps to go fuck yourselves." Banning has nothing to do with it, you told him to take the opinion somewhere else. Just because you didn't force it with a ban, the end result to be the same - him not expressing his opinion or immediately conforming to your opinion.

"You not a moderator or administrator over here either but you in here babbling about bigots and whatnot. Nobody asked you for your input just like nobody asked any of you to like or enjoy ion fury and the dev team. Keep that shit over there where it belongs." There's little that's tongue in cheek about that.

I don't see how I'm not being neutral unless I'm missing the word "Bigot" to be hugely offensive to you for some reason.

I'm willing to bet he hasn't responded further because he's not getting the same tone back as he's giving out. If you want a reasonable discussion, a sharing of ideas, don't be a dick about it.

NOLA_Gaffer NOLA_Gaffer , if you do feel like discussing it further, I'd be curious to hear about what you think about the idea of the game vs the team vs the individual devs matter, which is similar to Randy Pitchford and Borderlands 3 when people said they would not buy that because of him. Should we punish the whole company and devs for how one person acts/feels/thinks? I think there's an argument to be made for thinking of the other 99% not being made responsible for the actions of a few.

Thanks.

Yeah, I think the discord stuff is a bit strange but hardly what I'd call bigoted.
Seems they don't like the kind of SJWs who completely overreact to stuff.
On the trans issue I don't know enough to have a solid opinion on mental health etc but it just seems like an opinion, not bigotry.

Regarding the jokes in the game I think they aren't exactly side splitting but you can see it's an attempt to imitate that lame 90s humour.
It's a non-issue.

If anything this whole "controversy" highlights the hyper-sensitive nature of the gaming community and the willingness to go "all in" over the smallest of issues.

VN1X

Banned
For those who have played, does the main character have any personality? Does she have one-liners like Duke?
She has some charachter/one-liners but don't expect much. Actually, don't expect Duke levels of interactivity with the gameworld either. That's not to say there is none but I feel like Duke3D had a lot more silly shenanigans that way.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Some Ion Fury devs posted the following on the 3D Realms Discord:

There was also the word 'FAGBAG' found in the game, accessible in a place only accessible using the Noclip cheat. Additionally, the devs included a bottle of 'OGAY', as a play on Oil of Olay.

Someone screencapped the Discord comments and shared them on ERA, calling for the canceling of the devs and game for these supposed transphobic comments. There were attacks on the devs on Twitter and other social media outlets. They were massively Steam review bombed and people mass-requested refunds on Steam.

The devs responded, insisting they there were being treated unfairly and the in-game items were just jokes and the Discord comments taken out of context.

ERA and other alt-left hive mind havens went berserk again, demanding further mass cancellation, harassment of the devs and an apology for their supposed transgressions.

Voidpoint did come out and issue an apology and removed the 'FAGBAG' word hidden in the game. They also promised to give $10K of the game's sales revenue to below nonprofit:

They said they'd leave the OGAY bottle in the game, which they thought was a harmless joke.

ERA and other alt-left hive mind havens went berserk for a third time, calling this a non-apology and until the OGAY bottle was removed, the devs would continue to be transphobic, homophobic, NAZI supporting, hateful and essentially the incarnation of evil in human form.

OGAY is still in the game.

I wasn't interested in the game but now imma give it a look and consider supporting it lol. Thanks sjw clowns 👏👏👏

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So if this is true, and that's ALL there is, it seems INCREDIBLY shitty to go on to a videogame forum and imply that the devs have done something so horrendously awful that not only should nobody buy their game but anyone even covering the game from a technical perspective is in need of criticism and harassment also.

Anything to add NOLA_Gaffer NOLA_Gaffer ?

So just so ya'll understand my stance on this, because I'm sure I'll keep getting quoted and tagged for as long as this thread is on the first page.

I'm not saying "nobody should buy their game".

I'm not saying "John should be harrassed for not covering the controversy."

What I am saying is that it's important for this "controversy" be known so that customers can be informed before they make a purchase.

Nothing's worse than buying a product only to find out after the fact that you've given money to a individual, group, or organization that you have disagreements on a policital, societal, or any other level. This is reference to anything, from videogames to food companies and automobile manufacturers and everything in between. For instance, everybody should know that Elon Musk is currently going off the deep end before they purchase a Tesla and everybody should know that Nestle is a garbage company for a whole litany of reasons before giving them money.

It's not John's job to cover the controversy. His purpose his purely on technical analysis of software. I wouldn't expect him to cover the Voidpoint situation anymore than I would expect him to cover Randy Pitchford's various issues. That's the purpose of Digital Foundry's parent group, Eurogamer.

And finally, I don't give a fuck what you spend your money on. Buy the game. Buy twenty copies of it. Buy a Tesla, go buy Nestle products, you do you. It doesn't affect me either way.

I blame this video for reigniting my passion for old-school FPSs that resulted in the addition of 4 new games in my wishlist. Ion Fury, Wrath, Kingpin and Quake II.

I'm personally loving this trend of developers making new games on old engines.

Last edited:
You are also not saying what Void Point’s political and societal viewpoints that you have such a problem with are. You've been asked multiple times.

PanzerAzel

What I am saying is that it's important for this "controversy" be known so that customers can be informed before they make a purchase.

Nothing's worse than buying a product only to find out after the fact that you've given money to a individual, group, or organization that you have disagreements on a policital, societal, or any other level. This is reference to anything, from videogames to food companies and automobile manufacturers and everything in between. For instance, everybody should know that Elon Musk is currently going off the deep end before they purchase a Tesla and everybody should know that Nestle is a garbage company for a whole litany of reasons before giving them money.

Everyone shouldn't know anything other than what they deem relevant and important to them, which is entirely subjective. I can't tell here if you're advocating for a disclaimer before DF's analysis (as ERA is), or a separate article written by Eurogamer as an aside to it addressing the controversy, because those are two very different things that change the equation completely.

But this entire sentiment rolling around ERA now that a disclaimer on this controversy should preface DF's video is incredibly patronizing, condescending, arrogant, presumptuous and downright insulting, because it is predicated upon three assumptions: firstly, that 1) people are too lazy and/or stupid to take initiative and responsibility towards their own lives, beliefs, and actions, 2) it's basically saying, "just because I consider it a pressing issue, everyone should care about is as well", and 3) (and worst of all) that it presumes the superiority of its moral foundation as a given sans prior establishment. All of which are laughably presumptuous. As much as I may care about this controversy, or you may, or ERA may, the fact is, many couldn't give a single fuck less about it. They don't wish to have what someone else deems a moral imperative pushed on them, and even if it's under the seemingly innocuous guise of enlightening the ignorant, it nonetheless tends towards the insinuation that individuals are too dumb, lazy, ignorant, and irresponsible to discover these things themselves. Or even that they SHOULD care about it. Who's the one to determine that?

Now if it were an article that is entirely dedicated to the subject, I have no issue. That's an opinion piece that will make a case for what is viewed as morally repugnant, of which people choose to read about that topic. But to take something that is 100% apolitical and amoral, an objective technical breakdown which is what people are interested in, and preface it with what one deems morally unjust (that another may not) is total bullshit. If DF kowtows to ERA's demands, they'll have immediately lost me as a subscriber.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I just realised I can double dip to show the devs who is worth listening to.

WEwTROh.jpg

it’s funny because both times I bought the game because of Era screeching. They really are the best viral marketers
Same i got it again for the switch.
And bought it day one on pc to make a point to the cucks

Can't wait to see how console-only users get on with this. I had a blast with the early release and even more so when it finally released properly. So fast, sharp and just balls to the wall action that you just don't get in modern FPS titles.

Top Bottom