• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Ion Fury - Every Console Tested - How An Ancient Engine Stresses Current-Gen CPUs

Bullet Club

Ion Fury pushes the ancient Build engine - powering classics like Duke Nukem 3D - to its very limits, but fundamentally, how difficult can a port to current-gen consoles be? The answer turns out to be more complex than you might think. John Linnemans checks out the PS4, Xbox One and Switch versions of the game, addresses the frame-rate concerns and goes in-depth on the surprisingly challenging process of delivering these console conversions.

VertigoOA

Banned
This should be a fun watch. Saw that it dropped on console. Close to making the impulse purchase.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I'm glad they have a patch ready from the framerate dips on PS4 and XB1. The game may look like a FPS from the 90's,, but its a lot more demanding that that.

Anki

Banned
When I got my gaming PC this was the first game I finished, its really good and I don't have any nostalgic feelings towards build engine whatsoever.

I’m honestly glad all platforms have this awesome game now. Seems like it should perform well everywhere, guess it’s more demanding than I realized, played it on pc

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
+1 on the support for dark10x. Dude continues to do great work.

Just starting the video now, but honestly, I'd love to get this game on something that isn't PC. The stuttering/general performance issues were incredibly annoying, but the core game is sooooo good.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Great stuff D dark10x
Ignore those militant idiots at Era ❤
Go show some love to D dark10x this is great work and ResetEra are too focused on the politics to acknowledge this

Agreed please stop going there. It's not a healthy environment. Your fans don't care about politics. Keep doing your job and avoid all the drama. Never stop and you'll always be welcomed here no matter what. We have the ability to forgive.

xrnzaaas

I'll wait for that patch before playing the PS4 version or maybe even for the retail version to have it on disc.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
lol true. It feels different when done to a industry guy like him though, he seems so nice. I'm sure he will be back

It's a tough world on the internet, especially in the spotlight. It can make you, or break you.

As far as the game, did they still censor patch it from all of that drama last time? Or is it uncensored?

McCheese

Will watch later, but what's the summary? Tempted to pick this up today and own all 3 system

Resetera dogpiling and demanding the video has a "simple disclaimer" added is fucking gross, ignore them please and just focus on the game itself, after all tarnishing a game due to ONE persons comments despite it being a team effort is fucked up. Those idiots would scorch the earth under them if it hurt somebody who dared make a "ogay" soap joke.

Seriously, fuck them.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Will watch later, but what's the summary? Tempted to pick this up today and own all 3 system

Resetera dogpiling and demanding the video has a "simple disclaimer" added is fucking gross, ignore them please and just focus on the game itself, after all tarnishing a game due to ONE persons comments despite it being a team effort is fucked up. Those idiots would scorch the earth under them if it hurt somebody who dared make a "ogay" soap joke.

Seriously, fuck them.
Didn't the publisher cater to that crowd already by donating money to some trans intitative?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Glad to hear there is a patch on the way. I was incredibly disappointed upon booting up the game on PS4. Its such a good looking game that its a crime for performance to not be up to snuff as well.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So is there a plan to patch the frame rate issue on PC, as well? I'll probably end up getting the console version either way, but curious if they'll bother backporting any of the improvements.

Naibel

Great stuff by John, as always ! Era haterz , back off !

Looking forward to play that beauty on my Switch. This is my kind of shooter ! :messenger_fire:

Last edited:

Skeletron

I've been following this and the whole situation at Resetera is so fucking twisted.

The role of Digital Foundry or any tech channel is not to dish out some kind of moral judgement or inform the public whether the developers behind every game they analyze meet some arbitrary politically correct standard of conduct. He's not a ratings committee. You can tell the dude was very excited about this genre making a comeback and Ion Fury was such an authentic re-imagining of the style by utilizing the Build engine to its fullest extent, but you can't breathe a word about this game over there without 100 posters jumping on your shit.

Keep it up, John. Really love your work.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Console CPUs struggle with .ogg files lol, shows how shit they were this gen
This seems like an outliner cause I know a good amount of games that use OGG VORBIS on consoles too, such as Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage 4, etc, seems like an overhead issue really by not accounting for the extra layer of decoding the audio.

Kikorin

I waited so much for this game on Switch, bought day one and not disappointed. Later I'm curious to try it with uncapped framerate, but tbh even at 30fps with motion controls it plays really well.

I can’t imagine why would someone hound DarkX10, the guy seems to conduct himself in a very processional way. Nice video.
DF is on the woke side (at least they used to virtue signal by dedicating paragraphs to diversity and inclusion in their reviews).

However that does not mean that they are off the hook, these people are eating their own all the time, they are hungry for power and taking someone down is just a way to feel kike you have it.

Anyway, I love the dfretro series, this is one of the great things on YouTube.

Xellos

Great video as usual by D dark10x . Was interesting to get some insight into development challenges.

Switch port being capped at 30fps or variable <=60fps is a little disappointing, but I'm still looking forward to playing this. Between IF and W101 it's been a disappointing week for Switch ports. Would be nice if Nintendo gave Switch CPU clocks a little boost while we're waiting for Switch 2/Pro/whatever.

Top Bottom