• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] High on Life Comes To PlayStation - PS4/PS5 vs Xbox One/Xbox Series

CryC8w8XgAABv9I.jpg
Sony's most valuable asset

Mr Moose

Been a while since I played it. I do remember it being much sharper at launch on SX but it felt horrible to play. If PS5 feels the same hopefully they should drop the resolution.
It was 1440p back then too.
According to John's cancelled video from the release, it was always running DRS around 1440p on Series X and 1080p on Series S with a fairly close grip on 60fps despite the choppy update.

Lysandros

As an additional info; PS5 pushes ~110% more pixels compared to XSX in quality mode and ~55% more pixels in performance mode currently. I think this big gap should be reduced somewhat to stabilise the performance to XSX levels (edit: in performance mode, quality mode is running fine apparently.)

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I wonder if non gamers ever look at DFs 400 x zoomed pics and think to themselves.. " wow games look like shit these days huh? "

Mr Moose

Thread is pretty funny, lol. Especially the first page. Did more than a few people go through the entire video?

DF: Series X and S are the more polished versions for various reasons.

Thread:

B3l9SbK.png
The quality mode on PS5 is fine (and 4k), the only issue is in the performance mode.
Thankfully, the quality mode - which targets 30fps - doesn't seem to have this issue at all and maintained a locked frame-rate throughout my capture

TrueGrime

There's really never a need to watch a DF head-to-head video tbh. The warriors (either way) will summarize it for you faster than anyone can actually watch it.

Not true. One would think the definitive version was PS5 just off the first page alone and it would be if we're going off pixel count alone, but that's not the case. DF gives their opinion of the best version. However, this is a VS thread and I expected warrior battles to happen when it comes to everyone's favorite plastic box. The sad thing is that it'll just never stay in VS threads, unfortunately.

Amusing to see the die-hard emotions either way. :)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
As an additional info; PS5 pushes ~110% more pixels compared to XSX in quality mode and ~55% more pixels in performance mode currently. I think this big gap should be reduced somewhat to stabilise the performance to XSX levels (edit: in performance mode, quality mode is running fine apparently.)

In performance mode PS5 is running at an average of 1800p in performance mode whereas Series X is at 1440p. But the framerate on the PS5 can suffer from frame rate drops in performance mode whereas Oliver said that the Series X stays at a locked 60fps. Here's an example of the PS5 fps drops:

E4LjgrY.png

Both comments added to the OP.

shamoomoo

Thread is pretty funny, lol. Especially the first page. Did more than a few people go through the entire video?

DF: Series X and S are the more polished versions for various reasons.

Thread:

B3l9SbK.png
Yeah, after being patched for performance problems,with the other consoles being an afterthought.

Last edited:

Venom Snake

It looks sharper yes, but those animation pacing issues along with the fps drops don't make it any better than the Xbox version.

If they can iron it out without changing image quality, i'll applaud them.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
A game that launched on Xbox as a timed exclusive has a higher resolution on PS5 even in quality mode?

Where's your powerful XSX now huh?

Jk lmao. But seriously that is strange.
Maybe they'll update the Xbox and PC versions someday ?
On PC it has not been updated since March it seems.

Version on my PC (from the Windows Store) is 1.11.5668.0

Roberts

They will most likely patch it up very soon just like they did xbox version (day one version ran like crap and on the next day the patch made a whole lot of difference), but right now xbox version is clearly superior even with the lower resolution.

Lysandros

Bigger resolution in expense of framerate is often what XSX does. Complaints are there every time it happens.

When the PS5 does it, it is somehow perceived as a win.

Funny ways for the fanboys to operate.
Just to remark without the win/loose narrative: Quality mode is 2160P at a locked 30 FPS on PS5, it's a 110% higher resolution compared to XSX. So there is no "in expense of framerate" to be found there at least.

Killjoy-NL

I wonder if non gamers ever look at DFs 400 x zoomed pics and think to themselves.. " wow games look like shit these days huh? "
The majority of gamers don't give a sh*t unless things are pointed out and then they still don't really care.

But comparisons are always fun. Especially when a "9 Tflop" console outperforms his "significantly more powerful" competitor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom