• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] High on Life Comes To PlayStation - PS4/PS5 vs Xbox One/Xbox Series

Bo_Hazem

Banned

image.png

image.png

Performance mode:

XSS: ~1080p
XSX: ~1440p
PS5: ~1800p

As an additional info; PS5 pushes ~110% more pixels compared to XSX in quality mode and ~55% more pixels in performance mode currently. I think this big gap should be reduced somewhat to stabilise the performance to XSX levels (edit: in performance mode, quality mode is running fine apparently.)

Quality mode is 2160P for PS5 compared to XSX' 1440P, maybe to be precised as well.

In performance mode PS5 is running at an average of 1800p in performance mode whereas Series X is at 1440p. But the framerate on the PS5 can suffer from frame rate drops in performance mode whereas Oliver said that the Series X stays at a locked 60fps. Here's an example of the PS5 fps drops:

E4LjgrY.png

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Why does the PS5 IQ look better? More time as it cane out later? Not my type of game so never gonna play it, just asking out of interest. Do they conclude why in the video?
I'm assuming it could be the cache bandwidth being higher because of the GPU frequency and this particular game not pushing stupid effects.

Zuzu

Why does the PS5 IQ look better? More time as it cane out later? Not my type of game so never gonna play it, just asking out of interest. Do they conclude why in the video?

In performance mode PS5 is running at an average of 1800p in performance mode whereas Series X is at 1440p. But the framerate on the PS5 can suffer from frame rate drops in performance mode whereas Oliver said that the Series X stays at a locked 60fps. Here's an example of the PS5 fps drops:

E4LjgrY.png

Robb

Gold Member
Just based of off those screens the Ps5 version seem to look nicer. Not that this game is much of a looker either way though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They must go back to some baseline when porting to other platforms and have to play catchup.
It's probably similar to how sports games are done on a short 10 month dev cycle each year.

You go to a stripped down baseline and have to add systems/modes/assets back one by one. You don't start with the previous year's version, it's not how it works since the code is locked in gold master. You have to use a stripped down core of the game.

Which is why sports games would benefit more off a two year cycle of every other year, and the off year have a smaller new schedule patch. But, licenses and publishers would not go for that.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I liked the game, didn't love it. It deserves a wider audience as we should encourage more risk, and we should support AA development (IMO).

It seems both consoles have their wins and losses. I wonder why they chose a static 1800p if it introduced performance hickups. Maybe they can clean it up with a patch.

Edit: a few people have mentioned that the game does have DRS which makes the situation even stranger.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
That option exists.

"Thankfully, the quality mode - which targets 30fps - doesn't seem to have this issue at all and maintained a locked frame-rate throughout my capture, but obviously, a higher frame-rate benefits a first-person shooter."
Been a while since I played it. I do remember it being much sharper at launch on SX but it felt horrible to play. If PS5 feels the same hopefully they should drop the resolution.

Top Bottom