• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Death Stranding PC Tech Review: The Upgrade We've Been Waiting For

Well, why do you think they didn't do that ? That won't go well with their agenda. The aim of DF is not to promote in any way the Playstation consoles, and it has never being since its inception. So if the PS4 punches way above its weight, well, they won't show it.

Why do you think the article is titled: "The upgrade we have being waiting for". Because of better AO, AF and 4K60fps not even stable on a 2080ti ? That's what they were waiting for ?

But when they talk about a switch port with 2x less framerate, 4x less resolution, and all effects reduced significantly (PS2 levels of assets and effects) suddenly the port is a technical achievement and the Switch a miracle of hardware. DF are so transparent.
Show us on your favorite piece of plastic where Digital Foundry hurt you?

And then maybe backup your bullshit with proof?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I saw minor upgrades only over the PS4 Pro, very good but not big at all: Higher resolution and higher framerates. Picture quality is identical. Feels like BC on boost mode for PS5 not even PS5 patch.

llllll.jpg

Last edited:

Shmunter

I saw minor upgrades only over the PS4 Pro, very good but not big at all: Higher resolution and higher framerates. Pictures quality is identical. Feels like BC on boost mode for PS5 not even PS5 patch.
That's all it is really. No excuses for not doing a ps5 patch or some universal back compat tech delivering the same result for PS5.

If Sony doesn't do that, we can start the arrogant Sony conversations again.

I saw minor upgrades only over the PS4 Pro, very good but not big at all: Higher resolution and higher framerates. Picture quality is identical. Feels like BC on boost mode for PS5 not even PS5 patch.

Sure, because PS5 boost mode will magically unlock 21:9 support, up to 240FPS, native 4k support, better shadows, better models, better LOD, x16 anisotropic filtering and DLSS 2.0.

Ability to play this game in 120FPS = "minor update". Go and play it first, then comment.

And here's your identical picture quality:

we0Rjfs.png

I hope all these PC features will be eventually patched in to PS5, otherwise it's a criminal offense. But calling it a "minor upgrade" that can be expected from a freaking boost mode is ridiculous.

imsosleepy

No graphical upgrades can fix this bland, empty world walking sim, boring repetitive gameplay with little actual combat.
Its world is more beautifull crafted then 99% other open world games.
Rocket league also does not have great combat. Are you going to complain about that one to?
Should judge the game for what it is
why is it so hard for others to do that

Last edited:

Shmunter

Problems with waterfalls too, see around 4:00. He blames it on weather so we need a new test

Looks like most detail is lost into a blur. That’s the thing about some AI making reconstruction decisions, results can be varied an unpredictable. Something like checkerboarding may not be pristine, but the consistency may be preferable in some instances.

Last edited:
Finally got 3840x1620 Ultrawide to work using a hex edit. Now I can get 1:1 on my 4K set instead of having to use 1440 with the CAS option. Those vistas :messenger_sunglasses:

Here is the Guide I used to do it, also has hex edits for other Ultrawide resolutions as the game has some odd ones like 3660x1440 instead of 3440x1440.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sure, because PS5 boost mode will magically unlock 21:9 support, up to 240FPS, native 4k support, better shadows, better models, better LOD, x16 anisotropic filtering and DLSS 2.0.

Ability to play this game in 120FPS = "minor update". Go and play it first, then comment.

And here's your identical picture quality:

we0Rjfs.png

I hope all these PC features will be eventually patched in to PS5, otherwise it's a criminal offense. But calling it a "minor upgrade" that can be expected from a freaking boost mode is ridiculous.

That's the effect of higher resolution. And don't zoom in to make it much "bigger" that what it really is at native size. If you wanna play 240fps at low settings that's your freaking choice, we're talking about the highest possible settings here on both.

llllll.jpg

And yes, not impressed. If I saw something better I would rather buy it again on my PC. Native 4K and 60fps is a piece of cake on PS5, and that won't make me visit the game again without upgraded PQ patch.

But here, hope this makes you happy, this is how you see it, I suppose: :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
That's the effect of higher resolution. And don't zoom in to make it much "bigger" that what it really is at native size. If you wanna play 240fps at low settings that's your freaking choice, we're talking about the highest possible settings here in both.

llllll.jpg

No, that's mainly the effect of x16 anisotropic filtering. It's this settings set to x4 on PS4 that makes it look like a blurry mess. You don't have to zoom, ironically it's also clearly visible on the picture you posted.

Too bad that you're not happy with the upgrade, I hope PS5 patch mill meet your "expensive" taste.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No, that's mainly the effect of x16 anisotropic filtering. It's this settings set to x4 on PS4 that makes it look like a blurry mess. You don't have to zoom, ironically it's also clearly visible on the picture you posted.

Too bad that you're not happy with the upgrade, I hope PS5 patch mill meet your "expensive" taste.

Not sure if you read my prior post properly:

I saw minor upgrades only over the PS4 Pro, very good but not big at all: Higher resolution and higher framerates. Pictures quality is identical. Feels like BC on boost mode for PS5 not even PS5 patch.

If it was like BF5 or COD then yes, every minor upgrade, every input lag/latency counts. And yes, the PS4 Pro is slightly blurry, due to being 1440p. And guess what, native 4K on PC is still slightly blurry compared to fake effects of DLSS:

zzzzzzz.jpg

Yup, it's even funnier without fake DLSS sharpening.

Not sure if you read my prior post properly:

If it was like BF5 or COD then yes, every minor upgrade, every input lag/latency counts. And yes, the PS4 Pro is slightly blurry, due to being 1440p. And guess what, native 4K on PC is still slightly blurry compared to fake effects of DLSS:

zzzzzzz.jpg

Yup, it's even funnier without fake DLSS sharpening.

Depending on one's taste. Some will like DLSS "sharpening" effect. Some will not. The choice is there.

Just out of curiosity: what's your ideal list of upgrades for potential PS5 version?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Depending on one's taste. Some will like DLSS "sharpening" effect. Some will not. The choice is there.

Just out of curiosity: what's your ideal list of upgrades for potential PS5 version?

Who said I would waste my time on last gen games? It should be too good to skip to push me back into it. I would play new games designed around PS5. If The Crew 2 gets a patch then I might visit it, because it's a nice game with all its flaws but looks like crap and has good replayability with its massive map. I'm among the majority of gamers who give zero fucks for BC.

Well, I'm waiting for a PC exclusive like Star Citizen to play on my PC. If I'm a hardcore shooter gamer then yes I would rather game on my PC more often, but having 120-180ms ping in Euro servers already puts me in a very bad position even with 100-1,000Mbps speeds. Used to play a lot BF and COD and pretty competitive even with that major ping flaw but now I'm more into singleplayer games as you can't pause when your kids are pulling the wires or climbing you while online gaming. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I love this, DF on here have been accused of being biased towards Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and PC! Perhaps the issue lies with you if you get offended by these videos?

Their technical head2head videos are legit, their own opinions are not. Alex is the worst, Richard is a great guy and manages to keep it as professional as possible even if he admits that he prefers xbox in older videos. John seems like neutral.

Who said I would waste my time on last gen games? It should be too good to skip to push me back into it. I would play new games designed around PS5. If The Crew 2 gets a patch then I might visit it, because it's a nice game with all its flaws but looks like crap and has good replayability with its massive map. I'm among the majority of gamers who give zero fucks for BC.

Well, I'm waiting for a PC exclusive like Star Citizen to play on my PC. If I'm a hardcore shooter gamer then yes I would rather game on my PC more often, but having 120-180ms ping in Euro servers already puts me in a very bad position even with 100-1,000Mbps speeds. Used to play a lot BF and COD and pretty competitive even with that major ping flaw but now I'm more into singleplayer games as you can't pause when your kids are pulling the wires or climbing you while online gaming. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
You can try The Crew 2 on your PC but be warned that it still doesn't look impressive even at max settings / 4K / 60FPS. Next-gen patch is possible knowing Ubisoft and how they love to milk their "live service" games...

I'm surprised you don't care about BC since you got so involved in this topic and brought up PS5 patch / boost-mode!

waylo

Banned
4x Anisotropic Filtering? What year is it 2002?
I mean come on AF isn't so taxing at all.
I've never understood this either. Consoles have always used shit AF. Never made sense considering you can always crank it to 16x on PC and watch your FPS literally stay the same. I've been gaming on PC for over 20 years and AF has always been the thing you can crank and not worry about it effecting FPS at all.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You can try The Crew 2 on your PC but be warned that it still doesn't look impressive even at max settings / 4K / 60FPS. Next-gen patch is possible knowing Ubisoft and how they love to milk their "live service" games...

I'm surprised you don't care about BC since you got so involved in this topic and brought up PS5 patch / boost-mode!

Yup, The Crew 2 looks much better on PC than PS4 Pro, if I'm like so much invested into it might I've bought it on PC, but would rather get FH4 which was in my plan before but somehow didn't buy it. Might upgrade from Radeon VII to Big Navi down the line, Radeon VII is a freaking beast for productivity but lacks raytracing. If the rumors are true that Big navi will be a cluster of 36+36/40+40 CU's, 24GB HBM2E VRAM, 2TB/s bandwidth then that's a behemoth that I need for future-proofing for 8K video editing (Radeon VII can do it though) and possible high bitrate 4K video editing. Most GPU's with DaVinci Resolve can do it, but when you crunch a 4K video from 60fps to around 1000-2000fps for timelapse that when less capable GPU's with small VRAM might snap.

Tried 8-bit 4K@1200fps on current set, can't preview it before rendering though but never freezes or crashes. Instead of paying ridiculous amount of money on workstation GPU's, AMD's GPU's are kinda hybrid and it's good to have it gaming-ready. Was considering 2080Ti and it would be the best for gaming so far. To me, I still think PC gaming is wasteful if you don't have other useful stuff to do with your PC or you're not a hardcore shooter/sim gamer, but people mod their cars as well which is even much more wasteful most of the time, right? Well, did both. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Yup, The Crew 2 looks much better on PC than PS4 Pro, if I'm like so much invested into it might I've bought it on PC, but would rather get FH4 which was in my plan before but somehow didn't buy it. Might upgrade from Radeon VII to Big Navi down the line, Radeon VII is a freaking beast for productivity but lacks raytracing. If the rumors are true that Big navi will be a cluster of 36+36/40+40 CU's, 24GB HBM2E VRAM, 2TB/s bandwidth then that's a behemoth that I need for future-proofing for 8K video editing (Radeon VII can do it though) and possible high bitrate 4K video editing. Most GPU's with DaVinci Resolve can do it, but when you crunch a 4K video from 60fps to around 1000-2000fps for timelapse that when less capable GPU's with small VRAM might snap.

Tried 8-bit 4K@1200fps on current set, can't preview it before rendering though but never freezes or crashes. Instead of paying ridiculous amount of money on workstation GPU's, AMD's GPU's are kinda hybrid and it's good to have it gaming-ready. Was considering 2080Ti and it would be the best for gaming so far. To me, I still think PC gaming is wasteful if you don't have other useful stuff to do with your PC or you're not a hardcore shooter/sim gamer, but people mod their cars as well which is even much more wasteful most of the time, right? Well, did both. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

No point in upgrading at the moment to be honest. 2080Ti was an amazing buy ~1.5 years ago, now it's better to wait for 30XX series. Is PC gaming wasteful? I don't know. I was a happy gamer 6 years ago playing on used base PS4 on a shitty small 1080p screen. A lot has changed since then, I started my own company and got quite successful to the point I can afford no problem a PC rig for 4000 EUR and a nice HDR OLED TV. Does this makes my gaming experience that much better? Probably not. The Witcher 3 is a great experience on base PS4 and on god-tier PC. Some things are not necessary, they are just VERY NICE to have...

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No point in upgrading at the moment to be honest. 2080Ti was an amazing buy ~1.5 years ago, now it's better to wait for 30XX series. Is PC gaming wasteful? I don't know. I was a happy gamer 6 years ago playing on used base PS4 on a shitty small 1080p screen. A lot has changed since then, I started my own company and got quite successful to the point I can afford no problem a PC rig for 4000 EUR and a nice HDR OLED TV. Does this makes my gaming experience that much better? Probably not. The Witcher 3 is a great experience on base PS4 and on god-tier PC. Some things are not necessary, they are just VERY NICE to have...

Yup, your case isn't wasteful at all. Built my PC for $4300 (1300 OMR), and paid me back $4680 (1800 OMR) (should've been $5720 "2200 OMR" but made rookie mistakes) in few months. Last time hired a videographer and a montage guy, that would shed that into half. Now learning to be a one-man studio, and maybe as well use it for others and bring back some money:messenger_winking:.

But honestly, after seeing iPad Pro 2020 (getting one for my wife, an insane tool for graphics design and pretty versatile) and how Lumafusion is insanely good in video editing, this might be my last desktop PC since 1996. DaVinci Resolve costs around $300 (a wonderful program), Lumafusion $20:messenger_unamused:. Same goes to things like Lightroom is expensive on PC and can't buy it in one time, monthly/annual payment, yet it's free without the cloud on iOS! I'm not a fan of Apple at all, but for such things their prices make so much sense, except the $700 wheels.:lollipop_downcast_sweat:

LordOfChaos

Ec_EHL_XsAADh4-.png

This can actually use a lot of threads, past most games stopping scaling past 8T. Same processor capped to different thread counts continues to see scaling up to the full 24. More of this pls.

Tiamat2san

Well better resolution + dlss + better details + better frame rate.
Beautiful!
Still not fan of the character Waxy skins.
Might be an artistic choice.
If they patch it for PS5, I’ll replay the entire game.

OK, so I played the game for "few" hours now and by far the biggest improvement over PS4 is not picture quality or frame-rate. It's mouse and keyboard controls. Especially when it comes to cargo management. It's just so much quicker, more intuitive and fun. I found myself taking more orders, a big ass truck and loading / unloading things more often then when I played on PS4. Upgrading structures etc. is also a breeze. Loving it.

DeaDPo0L84

I'm 36 years old and have owned every every console,for better or worse. I had always been turned off by PC gaming even up until early last year. I played the usual suspects like the original Doom and Wolfenstein but never really built or bought a PC with gaming in mind.

Summer last year I went to a friend's house who has a mid tier gaming PC, he would always mention buying new parts when we got to talking and I always picked on him for it. This time I went over he let me play Destiny 2. This is a game that between 1 & 2 I have put close to 800/900 hours into. I had a very good pulse on how the game felt/looked/played.

From the character selection screen I just sat there and no shit was like "wtf?". It felt extremely different, I loaded into the tower in what felt like 1/10th of the time I was so used to. My character looked smaller but it was just cause the fov was pulled back which I wasn't aware of being strictly a console gamer.

I then went into one of the planetary destinations and messed around for a bit. I finally stopped playing and when I got home we got to talking,he introduced me to pcpartpicker, and the rest is history.

I was nervous considering we had no clear indication of what the next gen consoles would offer. Now with everything we know I feel absolutely satisfied with my decision. It's odd cause I was kinda hitting a dead end with Destiny 2 around the time I finished my build but because of how much more fun it is to play it's become a daily part of my gaming routine.

It's kinda ruined my console interest. Games I was super interested in like LoU2 and Ghost were my most anticipated titles this year but at this point I haven't even purchased them just cause i have so much shit im playing on PC now.

Sorry for the long post, realizing how special PC gaming can be (also expensive) is still fresh to me so its fun to discuss.

Some really try their damndest to downplay DLSS.

I suppose this and Geralt of NVIDIA building a brand new rig was too much to stomach in a single week.

It's kinda ruined my console interest. Games I was super interested in like LoU2 and Ghost were my most anticipated titles this year but at this point I haven't even purchased them just cause i have so much shit im playing on PC now.

I can relate to this. I was hyped for Ghost of Tsushima but I'm just too lazy to go my local MediaMarkt to buy it (I never buy PS4 games digitally, since there's no guarantee these games will work on PS5 / PS6 / PS7 / PS...). Like you said, there's so much shit to play on PC these days, it's insane.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I’ve been playing in 4k at 60fps. Performance has been good but tbh it was rock solid on PS4 Pro where I see many hitches and pauses on PC. Glad I was an early adopter!

What am I looking at here?
the particles when the character run

with DLSS they leave bold trails and when disabled there is tons of particles and they dont leave those trails

DLSS require to know the direction of things apparently some particles dont provide it in this game

Last edited:
Looks like most detail is lost into a blur. That’s the thing about some AI making reconstruction decisions, results can be varied an unpredictable. Something like checkerboarding may not be pristine, but the consistency may be preferable in some instances.

AFAIK DLSS is available per game because they require a neural network to make the model per game to be used in the tensor cores if you are an indie dev DLSS may never come to your game and then CB is the only way to go until this situation changes

Top Bottom