• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Cyberpunk 2077 Next-Gen Patch: The Digital Foundry Verdict

Lysandros

I was slightly surprised to see him arrive at the conclusion that PS5 was the better performing out of the two, the way he talked about them led me to believe Series X was performing slightly better on average.

Well, FPS>Resolution in my book. Too bad I don’t wanna give CDPR my money. Might check out the demo, though.
Yeah, he likes to adjust the stage lights a bit when it comes to XSX in his videos, he is quite the performer.

When it comes to resolution he found a slightly higher ceiling on performance mode for XSX contrary to Michael's analysis but RT mode is the same for both (1440P) with performance and input latency edge for PS5.

Edit: Sorry about the misunderstanding, there is no latency difference.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Did Series S push PS5 pretty hard in this game or do we have to wait more time?

IUAXWFr.png
This quote never fails to amaze me. Was a weak trolling attempt full of ignorance and it's haunted this valiant warrior ever since. Pity.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

God I find Tom's videos so hard to watch. The guy can't read from a script to save his life. It's pathetic - he puts the wrong stress on like every third word or so.

He'd be better off just writing down some bullet points and just talking off the cuff.

Lysandros

Will the PS5 perform worse when the VRR update comes out? Cuz if it does I don't want it.
Yeah, i also feel the slightly lower DRS bounds thus more stable framerates in some games is partly due to (current) lack of VRR. I think it's very possible that it happens when it's introduced.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If this is so "fixed" why do I still get ridiculous and retarded NPC pop-in right in front of my face? Does that happen to anyone else? I stopped playing the game near the beginning and every time it gets patched I turn it on at the spot where the pop-in occurs to see if it is gone. That is my barometer to determine when the game is fixed.

Bojji

Bro how loading are faster on Xbox Series X than PS5? Doesn't make sens. Guess CDPR are still salty at Sony for removing the game from PSN.

Good improvements overall, and also on laoding times, but still can do better on PS5, those 13 seconds need to go down to 4-6 seconds on PS5.

Loading was always super fast on PC with SSD and without direct storage support it was determined by CPU speed. Exact same thing probably happens on consoles now and XSX have slight advantage in CPU clock so...

Anyway PS5 has more stable framerate in the city, they have the same conclusion as I had when 1.5 version was released.

anthony2690

Banned
VRR seems more of a curse for Xbox really as devs seem to be pushing rez higher, causing slightly more frame drops, but devs seem to think it doesnt really matter because of VRR.
I mean it sucks for those without VRR displays, but this has been a thing since the one X as well.

As a owner of a TV with VRR I would prefer they continue to do this, as it benefits me. (Selfish I know) haha

Last edited:
Just played a bit of the new update last night.

If the game had launched in this state. Just wow. It's a far cry from the Cyberpunk I played on launch day.

Just drop old gen and focus all efforts on PC and next gen. That's the best decision CD Projekt Red could make right now.

Really enjoying this right now.

Crm114

Wait so the only difference between performance and RT mode is the bare bones RT they added? Nothing else???

How is that possible ,theres gotta be some more going on with the RT mode to account for a 30fps difference. Higher res, better textures/assets or something?

Darsxx82

Yeah, he likes to adjust the stage lights a bit when it comes to XSX in his videos, he is quite the performer.

When it comes to resolution he found a slightly higher ceiling on performance mode for XSX contrary to Michael's analysis but RT mode is the same for both (1440P) with performance and input latency edge for PS5.
LOL. NXG say XSS is 1440p locked and, for XSX vs PS5, also says that in moments of driving the framerate is practically the same with a little more stutter in XSX (You even have in his analysis the moment of the PS5 version at 47 fps) and that in shooting scenes even XSX has a slight advantage according to his analysis .....

That part sure shouldn't be mentioned and you only focus on questioning the part that doesn't interest you. It's ridiculous what you do just because of your hatred of DF and your thought that they are biased.... And suppose, according to you, that NXG is totally impartial.... 🤔

The reality is that the analysis of NXG patch 1.5 left much to be desired because it did not go into depth at all (it only mentions resolution margins and from few captures). It does not include proof of what it describes and it did not even coincide in time what it described and what is seen on the screen. But of course... it's NXG and it doesn't need your hate and yet you are only complaining and questioning the work of DF, which in this case is making a more elaborate and complete analysis.Which is even more favorable for PS5 than that of NXG itself.

That said, if you have doubts that XSX has a resolution advantage, just wait for VGTech and then ask for an explanation. It is not that it is always DF that is wrong, far from it.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Bro how loading are faster on Xbox Series X than PS5? Doesn't make sens. Guess CDPR are still salty at Sony for removing the game from PSN.

Good improvements overall, and also on laoding times, but still can do better on PS5, those 13 seconds need to go down to 4-6 seconds on PS5.
Given they are only filling 16GBs maximum - in reality a few GBs less - and the drive can read at 5.5GB/s IIRC, even if the IO complex is just buffering the SSD access to remove request bandwidth wastage the load times should always - without exception - be less than 3secs on all PS5 versions of games - HFW included - and less than 2 secs if the IO complex is decompressing textures too from what Cerny designed and said.

Riky

$MSFT
We will all die but there will still be at least one person screen capping Riky's posts forever.

Pity they can't read what it actually says properly, too triggered to think.

You expected to have around 10% of more pixels via DRS with worse fps performance? :messenger_grimmacing_

They both drop with screen tearing, only one machine can offset that with VRR, like I said best console way to play.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
If he would man up and admit he was wrong.... it would go away.

Read what it actually says and then read the rest of the thread where I said "at a lower resolution"
When we see games with Tier 2 VRS, SFS and Mesh Shaders then it will either match the PS5 settings at a lower resolution or it won't, we'll see. If I'm wrong I'll "man up" when that day comes, no problem.
Basically trolls just like to derail every thread with the same screen grab as bait, it's pretty sad really.

Last edited:
Read what it actually says and then read the rest of the thread where I said "at a lower resolution"
When we see games with Tier 2 VRS, SFS and Mesh Shaders then it will either match the PS5 settings at a lower resolution or it won't, we'll see. If I'm wrong I'll "man up" when that day comes, no problem.
Basically trolls just like to derail every thread with the same screen grab as bait, it's pretty sad really.
GZwgXcP.jpg

S0ULZB0URNE

I read what you posted and you was wrong but won't admit it.

PS5 tools will improve as well.
I will give you a easy spoiler...
PS5 will continue to put out more better looking games.
I am talking comparing exclusive vs exclusive and the reason is its overall a more powerful console.
Unlike you I aint afraid to say this and you or anyone else can bookmark it.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If that's the case:

the thing I don’t get with this Matt guy is he was the one who was saying that the series X favours last gen engines and will shine vs the ps5 but the reality is that every single last gen and cross gen engine has the ps5 usually taking an fps lead in many circumstances so I don’t know whether I’m supposed to believe the guy.

Riky

$MSFT
I read what you posted and you was wrong but won't admit it.

PS5 tools will improve as well.
I will give you a easy spoiler...
PS5 will continue to put out more better looking games.
I am talking comparing exclusive vs exclusive and the reason is its overall a more powerful console.
Unlike you I aint afraid to say this and you or anyone else can bookmark it.

You read it but didn't grasp it, ok.
PS5 will put out better looking games than Series S? Congrats on the hot take.

skit_data

the thing I don’t get with this Matt guy is he was the one who was saying that the series X favours last gen engines and will shine vs the ps5 but the reality is that every single last gen and cross gen engine has the ps5 usually taking an fps lead in many circumstances so I don’t know whether I’m supposed to believe the guy.
He never said that IIRC, all he said was that some older engines favor wide and slow and some older engines favor fast and narrow. He made no definitive statement on what future engines will rely on more heavily either.

Edit:

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Weve already seen big resolution differences between the two, Doom Eternal, Metro Exodus, Far Cry 6 I could go on, plus Dying Light 2 running 20-60fps faster on Series X.
Once all the RDNA2 features get used the gap will widen, bookmark that.
Go back and read what I said.

Nobody is talking cross gen games riky.

Hey how long do think it will take XSX to match this gens best visuals which are on PS5?

Romulus

Just played a bit of the new update last night.

If the game had launched in this state. Just wow. It's a far cry from the Cyberpunk I played on launch day.

Just drop old gen and focus all efforts on PC and next gen. That's the best decision CD Projekt Red could make right now.

Really enjoying this right now.

what mode are you playing in and what makes it that much better? The vids I don't see a massive difference but welcome upgrades to be sure.

Is not that VRR is an "advantage" on the SeX, what it actually is is an "necessity".
In these topics we masturbate to the strongest console and more often the not it's the PS5 with the bigger stick.
VRR is something that needs to become a universal standard already, that's why it's coming too for the PS5. But until it arrives it's omission is less felt on the PS5 than it would on the SeX.

Seems like devs are really relying on VRR on SeX to deliver "a bit more", but this more is simple too little. 120p extra lines of resolution and not all the time? Not that this is the reason for such massive drops anyway, but devs should lower quality a bit more to ensure 60fps because after all, not all gamers still have a TV that supports VRR. Many people still owns older TV that don't support the spec.

VRR is a very good plus, but I don't want to see developers relying on VRR to justify major drops.

Could be very useful for minor dips, but the developers always need to work to deliver as 30, 40 (on 120hz screen), 60, or 120fps locked as possible.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
One area and I think NXgamer said it actually runs better on Series X in combat anyway, when you need a better framerate. But VRR deals with that anyway and you have the higher resolution.
You don’t need to invent a reality so you can sleep at night. It’s just a game that runs better on PS5 in stress points. It’s ok.

Last edited:
Any new TV that supports the HDMI 2.1 spec has built in VRR. So, in most cases unless you're specifically looking for a cheaper TV like the TCL. It should.

Even TCL's will start adding HDMI 2.1 from what I recall reading last year.

But both I and DF clearly state that non issue point for VRR only. The labeling couldn't be any clearer.

It *is* a non issue for Series X owners with VRR displays. Whether HDMI 2.1 or Freesync.

I'm not really concerned with consistency in experiences here.
This TCL has 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs and supports VRR up to 120fps. Was on sale a good bit for $649.99 for X-Mas and last month + it has pretty solid reviews from quite a few reputable sources/outlets(And some rough ones)

television.jpg

We have a couple OLED's in the house for the consoles/watching content, but seeing a set for that price with those reviews + features was intriguing. It's a low adoption rate for the feature I'm sure since the marketing for it videogame wise is really just now starting to(or barely starting to) kick up. Like the other guy said tons of folks still are on 1080P Sets and the average consumer won't be replacing them until they absolutely have to. But it's still a cool feature indeed and it being supported is a positive.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You don’t need to invent a reality so you can sleep at night. It’s just a game that runs better on PS5 in stress points. It’s ok.

He's not wrong, NXGamer does outright say that. Basically he said the frame rate trades places and in some places SX runs better than PS5 too.

It's a big open world game, minor variances will and should be expected. Safe to say PS5 probably has a higher average frame rate but not by much, especially after how bad SX version dipped in the 1.25 patched version.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Given they are only filling 16GBs maximum - in reality a few GBs less - and the drive can read at 5.5GB/s IIRC, even if the IO complex is just buffering the SSD access to remove request bandwidth wastage the load times should always - without exception - be less than 3secs on all PS5 versions of games - HFW included - and less than 2 secs if the IO complex is decompressing textures too from what Cerny designed and said.

I think it's much more complex than that. There are so many factors that determine load times. It very well could be that the engine itself is too slow to reach the I/O speeds of current consoles, as was the case with Insomniac/R&C for certain sections of the game. Game engines need to be optimized to reach the ideal scenarios Cerny was discussing in the presentation.

S0ULZB0URNE

This TCL has 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs and supports VRR up to 120fps. Was on sale a good bit for $649.99 for X-Mas and last month + it has pretty solid reviews from quite a few reputable sources/outlets(And some rough ones)

television.jpg

We have a couple OLED's in the house for the consoles/watching content, but seeing a set for that price with those reviews + features was intriguing.
If I'm not mistaken it has issues running VRR as does Sony and Hisense.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

television.jpg

We have a couple OLED's in the house for the consoles/watching content, but seeing a set for that price with those reviews + features was intriguing.

My primary gaming screen is a 32 inch 4K monitor (with VRR of course), but I have a TCL in the family den. The only issue I've seen is picture degradation if you look at from extreme sides but otherwise for the price to feaeture set ratio, these things are fucking amazing.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken it has issues running VRR as does Sony and Hisense.
I seen some folks on reddit saying that too. And the Sony sets doing that thing where it messes with the resolution and causes blur is a problem too. I seen a good bit of people upset with Samsung only including 1 port for their prices, but from what I've read they seem to be okay. Edit: I actually know someone with the QN85A 65 inch and they say it performs pretty well.

Last edited:
My primary gaming screen is a 32 inch 4K monitor (with VRR of course), but I have a TCL in the family den. The only issue I've seen is picture degradation if you look at from extreme sides but otherwise for the price to feaeture set ratio, these things are fucking amazing.
Yup you're right. For the price and what the TCL's can do it's great. I'm sure it has it's issues at times with some of the more premium features it's advertising...but you got people who paid twice as much for the same size set and they're waiting for firmware upgrades that don't have a solid release date of any kind. I think it's just going to take a few more years before its common/reliable

If anything it looks like they got to where they should have been at launch/shortly after launch performance wise and hopefully they stay dedicated to improving it going forward like they did with Witcher 3. I reinstalled it on Series X and PC to check out the patch for a little while and it does look better/run a helluva lot more stable...I feel like the lighting and colors look so much better, especially when driving and it's raining or when you're in the more wide open areas. .the PC version seems to have actually taken a slight hit in performance at times and im on a beast of a card/system. Like the guy was hinting at in the video you can tell they put a ton of work into the PS5 version, players on that console who experienced it already are definitely going to see the bigger leap cause of the situation with the version it was running before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom