• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Call of Duty MW: Every Console Tested!

Fake

Xbox One X, Xbox One S, PS4 and the Pro - let's take a look at the key technological achievements delivered by Modern Warfare as they play out on all console platforms... which some surprising results.

Last edited:
Again PS4 Pro not tested at 1080p. I'll keep on complaining about it, especially after BL3 which runs at 900p on Pro with 1080p output and resolution mode selected.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Are they really parity, check out the lights hanging in the distance on X compared to Pro.
at 1.11 for about 5 seconds,

Last edited:

chinoXL

PS4 Pro has the best/most stable performance..i would take that over the minor edge in clarity the X gives...i had it on PC but got a refund, damn game kept error'ng out on me

So nothing has changed in therms of difference between the base consoles since the beginning of the generation.

This game should have been 720p on the base xbox.

I still can't get over how the DF guys could hardly spot the difference between 812p/900p and 1080p (the difference was obvious) before the X was released and now they call any drops below 4k "significant" (the difference is less important).
At this point, the surprising result would be XBX delivering a superior experience across the board without any sort of compromise.
I wonder why devs make those choices (I don't think the X could not be better across the board, or at leas 95% of the time, they could to same resolution but more stable frame rate, or don't hold it high enough to have frame rate drops anyway).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Again PS4 Pro not tested at 1080p. I'll keep on complaining about it, especially after BL3 which runs at 900p on Pro with 1080p output and resolution mode selected.
How is this possible with the system level supersampling enabled?

How is this possible with the system level supersampling enabled?
There is no system level super sampling enabled in Borderlands 3.

Are they really parity, check out the lights hanging in the distance on X compared to Pro.
at 1.11 for about 5 seconds,

That is a problem of dynamic/lower resolution and youtube compression.

In VG Techs framerate test you can see the lights better. I guess DF uses weird settings that don't play too well with whatever youtube does with the video, making it lose way more detail.

Last edited:
In VG Techs framerate test you can see the lights better. I guess DF uses weird settings that don't play too well with whatever youtube does with the video, making it lose way more detail.
thanks for the clarification, I thought that we had a distant light gate on our hands!

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
There is no system level super sampling enabled in Borderlands 3.
How?
If the game outputs on Pro at a resolution higher then 1080p with 4k output.
The system level supersampling will output that higher resolution regardless of the TV it's connect to.
Unless the game has no Pro Enhancements full stop.

How?
If the game outputs on Pro at a resolution higher then 1080p with 4k output.
The system level supersampling will output that higher resolution regardless of the TV it's connect to.
Unless the game has no Pro Enhancements full stop.
Dude, why the fuck are you talking about the system level supersampling?

1.) System level supersampling can't be enabled on a 4K TV, you get an error message when you try to enable it. It only works with 1080p displays. Games however can individually force it but most games do not, hence giving you better performance if the game was struggling with 4K output (like Red Dead Redemption 2, The Last Guardian, No Man's Sky or Borderlands 3 among many others)

2.) Using the 1080p output option with a Pro increases performance in most games that don't force super sampling (and of course you have the option of SSAA disabled on a 1080p display), because they then run at native 1080p... usually, Borderlands 3 is the first game I encountered that behaved weirdly.

Modern Warfare 2019 here is one of the few examples that force Supersampling no matter what you set your PS4 Pro to, hence not increasing performance with 1080p output.

That 1080p output "trick" to get better performance in some games has been known since The Last Guardian, why are we discussing this? Heck, Digital Foundry had a long talk about this

Last edited:

bilderberg

I wanna know what kind of supersampling ps4 pro and X are using, because supersampling on nvidia looks like ass. They have a blur setting and you set it too low; you get noise and a moire pattern, you set it too high and it's blurrier than just native res. The only thing that looks good downsampled on a 1080p screen is 4k.

TUROK

I still can't get over how the DF guys could hardly spot the difference between 812p/900p and 1080p (the difference was obvious) before the X was released and now they call any drops below 4k "significant" (the difference is less important).
You sound unbiased and impartial.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So nothing has changed in therms of difference between the base consoles since the beginning of the generation.

This game should have been 720p on the base xbox.

I wonder why devs make those choices (I don't think the X could not be better across the board, or at leas 95% of the time, they could to same resolution but more stable frame rate, or don't hold it high enough to have frame rate drops anyway).

Richard definitely said the overall clarity between PS4 base and one s is very noticeable...

Top Bottom