• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls PS5 - Enemy close-ups at higher definition and comparison with the originals

mortal

Gold Member
What I personally liked about original design is that it had over size teeth and eyes and feels like there is something off about him which I really liked.
ds8.jpg

The redesign looks really like just another generic monster.
sQt3CcABq2nsKyMotaDyVi-1200-80.jpg

Same with Flamelurker, if you look at the original design you see the skull of his head but the his skin just melted because of the heat.
maxresdefault.jpg

but in redesign it just looks another fire demon.
NBWpU6Y.jpg
I can see what you mean, although calling it generic is bit of stretch since they're building off the design language of the original.

Actually as of gameplay trailer # 2, Flamelurker was redesigned to be more in line with the PS3 version.

8YXrwm2.jpg

Also I'd argue there were quite a few "generic" designs in the original game, so I don't think that's a fair criticism against bluepoint designs.

I think the criticisms of them making the remake look generic is overblown, even more so when side by side comparisons show BluePoint have done a pretty solid job in finding a balance of honoring the original designs while adding their own unique embellishments.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I like that the criticism led to a much better design for one of the bosses (I think it helps that this one example was utterly extreme), but by and large, I’m kind of waiting to play through the entirety of their vision before getting too judge-y.

I had some serious questions about SotC before playing it, and after... I didn’t really feel that it missed the point in any significant way. I could see someone preferring one version or another, but both felt like a pretty good expression of Shadow of the Colossus to me.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
These aren't ps3 shots.. resolution is way too high. These screenshots are from RPCS3 (emulator). Original was 720p at a botched 30fps (bad framepacing with dips).
First thing that hit me, I played the game to death, it was good looking for it's time but nowhere near that

What bullshit is this?

Why cant I still order a Ps5?

Vae_Victis

Banned
First thing that hit me, I played the game to death, it was good looking for it's time but nowhere near that

See:

The PS3 screenshots I used are simply the best images I could find on Google to show the creatures, since I am not set up to emulate or record the game. Some are definitely emulated, others I believe are promotional screenshots, a few are captured from PS3. The reason is that I wasn't trying to portray the overall jump between the PS3 and PS5 versions, but just analyse the creature designs.

These aren't ps3 shots.. resolution is way too high. These screenshots are from RPCS3 (emulator). Original was 720p at a botched 30fps (bad framepacing with dips).

I was going to say, I don’t remember the game ever looking that good on PS3 and I played it quite a bit. Looks almost or current In some of the screenshots even.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Looking at the latest round, there’s definitely a constant effort by Bluepoint to make everything look more evil and intimidating than the original. Whether that fits or not, I can’t say, but it did strike me. Especially with the miners.

Vtecomega

Banned
What I personally liked about original design is that it had over size teeth and eyes and feels like there is something off about him which I really liked.
ds8.jpg

The redesign looks really like just another generic monster.
sQt3CcABq2nsKyMotaDyVi-1200-80.jpg

Same with Flamelurker, if you look at the original design you see the skull of his head but the his skin just melted because of the heat.
maxresdefault.jpg

but in redesign it just looks another fire demon.
NBWpU6Y.jpg

The flamelurker here looked amazing and menacing. Reminds me of Balrog in lord of the rings which I was super pumped about.

You mother fuckers with your constant bitching and nostalgia made them change the design to the stupid looking original.

And the original design of the other demon above looked like a walrus with 3 eyes. The new version looks way more intimidating and realistic.

Last edited:

Terenty

They either consciously didn't want to keep the same atmosphere as the original or they didn't get it, which is strange, because it's something you don't have to get, it's obvious when you are playing the game.

Original Demon Souls didn't feel like an epic fantasy game with a badass hero saving the world. It was much more subdued than that, creepy and depressing. It was a dark game, almost horror like.

Here with the redesigns, with a lot of lightning everywhere( Tower of Latria seems much more bright now, instead if the pitch darkness of the original) and with this fucking grandiose soundtrack it feels nothing like the original.

At least so far, judging by the footage they released.

borborygmus

They either consciously didn't want to keep the same atmosphere as the original or they didn't get it, which is strange, because it's something you don't have to get, it's obvious when you are playing the game.

Original Demon Souls didn't feel like an epic fantasy game with a badass hero saving the world. It was much more subdued than that, creepy and depressing. It was a dark game, almost horror like.

Here with the redesigns, with a lot of lightning everywhere( Tower of Latria seems much more bright now, instead if the pitch darkness of the original) and with this fucking grandiose soundtrack it feels nothing like the original.

At least so far, judging by the footage they released.

I agree. This is supposed to be a medieval horror game. Elements like Yurt taking people out in what is that world's equivalent of a monastery or temple are characteristic of that genre. There is supposed to be an escalating horror as you go through the game and the locales and events get more and more terrifying. Bloodborne takes this element to the next level. This isn't Skyrim.

I don't know what the hell happened to discernment. It feels like nobody appreciates these kinds of details anymore.

It's probably still going to be a great game, but it's just missing something big and it's such a missed opportunity. I guarantee no critics/reviewers are gonna point this out even though it's supposed to be their job. Everyone will pretend everything's great, but these things all add up and lead to gaming deteriorating in general. Years later we'll ask ourselves why the magic's gone and blame it on nostalgia. But the truth is I've played some of the old classics for the first time decades after they came out and their uncompromising quality was still there. We feel like something is missing these days because it really is missing.

old-man-rant.jpg

Last edited:

KRYPT83

Very good thread. It is increasingly clear to me that the graphic jump is minimal, this seems like ps4 pro, if they told me a year ago that this was going to be the difference on PS5 I would have been under no illusions.
I read the only thing they changed was the graphics animations and combat is still set at the values of the og. I will now wait for a sale or psplus game I'm not paying 70 for the same game with just better graphics. They could have atleast made the combat a little bit more fluid akin to BB

Glad for the changes to Flamelurker, though lots of these redesigns still suck. Lots of the new ones lack a certain creepiness that was in the originals. Still have big problems with Vanguard Demon, albeit I understood it needed some changes due to being too derpy in the original, I feel like they went as boring and generic as possible and ruined the really good part of the original, the haunting and almost otherworldly face and eyes.
But with Mind Flayers, Scale Miners and Depraved Ones looking worse, albeit graphically improved. It certainly doesn't instill faith in the game's mood. Maneater also feels like it loses something ethereal from itself.

Yoboman

I think if it was From doing the remake they would have substantially changed alot of the designs as well. A lot of those character designs just haven't aged well

borborygmus

I think if it was From doing the remake they would have substantially changed alot of the designs as well. A lot of those character designs just haven't aged well

It'd be criticized if it were From. DS2 was lambasted for the extreme graphical downgrade compared to previews and for its shoddy game design compared to previous entries.

There are a lot of overly simplistic arguments being made like "it's just nostalgia," "if it were From you wouldn't criticize it" (not saying this is your argument), "people just like to whine." The criticism of DS5's designs has merit. It's not just "I don't like [X];" it's justified with regard to the tone and genre of the game.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I read the only thing they changed was the graphics animations and combat is still set at the values of the og. I will now wait for a sale or psplus game I'm not paying 70 for the same game with just better graphics. They could have atleast made the combat a little bit more fluid akin to BB
They redid all of the animation with all new motion capture. They just made sure it matched the flow and cadence of the original game. They also added quality of life features like 8 way rolling, new camera etc

Vtecomega

Banned

I have to say I agree with this. The original Demon souls combat and animations are dated now. Watching the new trailer I cant help but feel disappointed that the enemies still behave the same as the original. If they are going to put in the effort for a complete remake then why not go the extra mile and re animate enemies with new ai patterns.

Vtecomega

Banned
They redid all of the animation with all new motion capture. They just made sure it matched the flow and cadence of the original game. They also added quality of life features like 8 way rolling, new camera etc

Do you know if they redid all the animations for the enemies and bosses too?

Yoboman

Do you know if they redid all the animations for the enemies and bosses too?
Good question

The interviews I saw only referred to animation in the context of the player character so hard to say

But a look at how the Vaguard moves now vs before you'd have to say yes

Top Bottom