• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-new PlayStation Plus game lineup: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Demon’s Souls, Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut, NBA 2K22, and more join the service

Dick Jones

Gold Member
e9b.gif
tumblr_ozn46898Xb1wd95d6o2_250.gifv

you know what needs to be done
zkh1QZC.gif
TW3dctv.gif

Best/Worst I can do
I like how the arm movement changes him to his Jim Ryan form

Last edited:
At the very least it looks solid, glad Sony is putting a real effort into this so the Sony loyalists can stop pretending like subscription services will be the end of gaming as we know it. As soon as I can find a PS5 I'll probably sub to it depending on what the full list looks like
Depends on how they're done.

You guys realize PS Now predates GamePass, right? That PS+ paid monthly free games predates Games with Gold?

yurinka

Who thinks MLB The Show will be day 1 on the new PS+ service as well?
MLB sells a lot of copies every year. Why would Sony want to reject them?

At the very least it looks solid, glad Sony is putting a real effort into this so the Sony loyalists can stop pretending like subscription services will be the end of gaming as we know it. As soon as I can find a PS5 I'll probably sub to it depending on what the full list looks like
The criticism wasn't about having game subscriptions, Plus and Now were there way before GP and didn't get the criticism. As long as they are something secondary, optional and complementary while devs can focus on their normal business (selling games) it's fine.

The criticism is about wanting to kill/highly decrease the main revenue source of the developers (game sales) by putting the big games there day one, having all players busy there so not buying and playing other games. Revenue from subs for devs is peanuts compared to game sales, and on top of that only a few games get released each month in subscriptions, while in a context focused on game sales there are dozens or hundreds of game released pr month. This means that many devs wouldn't be able to release their games (so would hurt their revenues even more) and the platform holder would gatekeep even more in a subscription focused context than in a sales focused context.

So an environment focused on releasing games directly to a sub where sales would be way smaller than now would be hurtful for many devs, many would be kept out of the loop/business and many would need to scale down their budget to adapt it to the way smalle revenues they'd get in that context. While to continue on a context focused on game sales where the sub is something secondary to get some extra revenue from games that don't sell anymore, the current context would allow more devs to be in the business, releasing more games and since their revenue would be higher than in a sub focused environment, they'd be able to spend bigger budgets on them.

This is talking in hypothetical cases where GP -or a similar day 1 releases focused sub- would highly dominate the business, which as of now it isn't the case at all. Sony always has been more successful with game subs, and more importantly, even if growing game subs are a tiny portion of the global gaming business, and a small one of the console business.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MLB sells a lot of copies every year. Why would Sony want to reject them?
There are rumors that MS is trying to tie MLB to Xbox brand with Game Pass, since supposedly they had higher engagement numbers. And will push that with clever marketing.

Most of their (Sony's) revenue is also made from the DD mode as well.

Last edited:

Camreezie

So you have 120+ 80 or better scored games? Lets take a look at even the past year and thier meta scores:

There is only 6 games with a meta score of 80 or higher.

Maneater (PS5, 71, 0.6 years old)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (75, 2.3 years)
Greedfall (72, 1.3 years)
Destruction AllStars (PS5, 62, day-and-date launch)
Control: Ultimate Edition (PS4/PS5, 85; the Ultimate Edition is a day-and-date launch, the game itself is 1.4 years old)
Concrete Genie (PlayStation VR; 75, 1.3 years)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (87, 0.9 years)
Remnant: From the Ashes (78, 0.5 years)
Maquette (PS5, 70, day-and-date launch)
Farpoint (PlayStation VR, 71, 3.8 years)
Oddworld: Soulstorm (PS5, 66, day-and-date launch)
Days Gone (71, 1.9 years)
Zombie Army 4: Dead War (72, 1.2 years)
Wreckfest (PS5, 82, 1.7 years)
Battlefield 5 (73, 2.5 years)
Stranded Deep (65, 1 year)
Operation: Tango (PS5, 72, day-and-date launch)
Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown (78, day-and-date launch)
Star Wars: Squadrons (79, 0.7 years)
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (83, 2.7 years)
WWE 2K Battlegrounds (60, 0.8 years)
Hunter’s Arena: Legends (PS4/PS5, 60, day-and-date launch)
Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville 77, 1.8 years)
Tennis World Tour 2 (56, 0.9 years)
Overcooked! All You Can Eat (PS5, 84, 0.8 years)
Predator: Hunting Grounds (56, 1.4 years)
Hitman 2 (82, 2.8 years)
Hell Let Loose (PS5, 68, day-and-date launch)
PGA Tour 2K21 (76, 1.1 years)
Mortal Kombat X (83, 6.5 years)
Knockout City (PS4/PS5, 80, 0.5 years)
First Class Trouble (PS4/PS5 79, day-and-date launch)
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning (72, 1.1 years)
The Persistence (PlayStation VR, 78, 3.3 years)
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners (PlayStation VR, 79, 1.5 years)
Until You Fall (PlayStation VR, 85, 1.1 years)
Godfall: Challenger Edition (PS4/PS5, 61, 1.1 years)
Lego DC Super-Villains (74, 3.1 years)
Mortal Shell (76, 1.3 years)

Ok so lets go back another year:

• Goat Simulator (58, 4.4 years)
  • Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (86, 4.25 years)
  • BioShock: The Collection (84, 3.4 years)
  • Firewall: Zero Hour (79, 1.4 years)
  • The Sims 4 (66, 2.2 years)
  • Shadow of the Colossus (91, 2.1 years)
  • Sonic Forces (57, 2.3 years)
  • Dirt Rally 2.0 (84, 1.1 years)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (93, 3.9 years)
  • Cities: Skylines (91, 2.1 years)
  • Farming Simulator 19 (64, 1.46 years)
  • Call of Duty: WWII (79, 2.6 years)
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2 (68, 2.5 years)
  • NBA 2K20 (78, 8 months)
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider (88, 3.7 years)
  • Erica (69, day-and-date)
  • Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered (71, 3.75 years)
  • Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout (81, day-and-date launch)
  • PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (72, 1.75 years)
  • Street Fighter 5 (77, 4.5 years)
  • Need for Speed Payback (61, 2.9 years)
  • Vampyr (70, 2.3 years)
  • Bugsnax (PS5, 79, day-and-date launch)
  • Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition (85, 2.1 years)
  • Middle-earth: Shadow of War (80, 3.1 years)

Ok, so we have 10 more, we are at 16 total here now. But you mentioned the plus collections, so lets add that too:

THE PLAYSTATION PLUS COLLECTION

• Batman: Arkham Knight (87, 5.39 years old at time of offering)
  • Battlefield 1 (89, 4.06 years)
  • Bloodborne (92, 5.64 years)
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 3 — Zombies Chronicles (78, 5.02 years)
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (80, 3.37 years)
  • Days Gone (71, 1.55 years)
  • Detroit: Become Human (78, 2.47 years)
  • Fallout 4 (87, 5 years)
  • Final Fantasy XV (81, 3.95)
  • God of War (94, 2.57 years)
  • inFamous: Second Son (80, 6.65 years)
  • Monster Hunter: World (90, 2.80 years)
  • Mortal Kombat X (83, 5.58 years)
  • Persona 5 (93, 3.61 years)
  • Ratchet & Clank (85, 4.59 years)
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard (86, 3.80 years)
  • The Last Guardian (82, 3.93 years)
  • The Last of Us Remastered (95, 6.29 years)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (93, 4.51 years)
  • Until Dawn (79, 5.22 years)

So 15 more games (duplicate Uncharted 4 removed), that's 31 total. I'm not seeing a 120 games 80+ here, how far back do I have to go?
Oh shit mans coming for the receipt 😂

yurinka

There are rumors that MS is trying to tie MLB to Xbox brand with Game Pass, since supposedly they had higher engagement numbers. And will push that with clever marketing.

Most of their (Sony's) revenue is also made from the DD mode as well.
Sony doesn't want "engagement", Sony wants profits and revenue instead. Going multi with MLB meant the series gave them more money than ever before, so they are happy with it. They don't care if the ones who pay them that money are the players or MS.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony doesn't want "engagement", Sony wants profits and revenue instead. Going multi with MLB meant the series gave them more money than ever before, so they are happy with it. They don't care if that money comes from the players or from MS.
They make most of their profit and revenue from DD mode sales. If they put it on PS+, even more would day 1 dive into it and boost baseball's FUT/MUT digital crack mode. You are already starting to see fans asking Sony what gives over the GP thing, they will do that even more so when the new service launches.

yurinka

This list makes it very clear that Sony doesn’t give a fuck about legacy titles.

Very disappointed.
They said there will be up to 340 (the number will vary a bit per country) legacy titles at launch. The ones they listed are only a portion of them, the full list per each country/psn store region will be revealead as they keep releasing it in each region.

They make most of their profit and revenue from DD mode sales.
I won't believe this until I see the receipts. Diid Sony say it was the case?

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
The desperation to downplay this service is pretty sad, especially the ones coming from "legitimate" media sources.
Exactly...this is a subscription service. They are never at their best on day one. Even the all-mighty Gamepass.
This is the beginning and they will be building it from there... i'm actually surprised at the PS4 and PS5 offer tbh.

It's the older games that for now i'm underwhelmed. But i have a feeling Sony didn't reveal the biggest older titles because some will differ depending on region...

johnjohn

Exactly...this is a subscription service. They are never at their best on day one. Even the all-mighty Gamepass.
This is the beginning and they will be building it from there... i'm actually surprised at the PS4 and PS5 offer tbh.

It's the older games that for now i'm underwhelmed. But i have a feeling Sony didn't reveal the biggest older titles because some will differ depending on region...
You'd expect them to try to make a bigger splash at launch though. It'll be really interesting to see what their July lineup is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They said there will be up to 340 (the number will vary a bit per country) legacy titles at launch. The ones they listed are only a portion of them, the full list per each country/psn store region will be revealead as they keep releasing it in each region.

I won't believe this until I see the receipts. Diid Sony say it was the case?

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Can't reveal them sources (I've spent time at that studio and was one of the first to see the mode back in its inception over a decade ago by the designer), but let's just say, there is a reason that mode gets 90% of the attention every year over other modes. It is their money maker, and one of the many reasons they too wanted the 3rd party license upon renewal, more revenue the more places the game can be played.

scydrex

I'm surprised with the PS4/PS5 games. If they do a good job and keep adding games that I want to play or would play. That would make me rethink my preferences of buying game in physical. If with this service i will still play the games i want to play and save money then awesome. Right now with the list of PS4/PS5 they release i will save almost $200 if I play 1 year and if i pay 3 month will save around $260 and still play those games.

About the legacy games those who are interested in that will have to wait until june to see the full list.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
You'd imagine they would want to lead/announce with the good ones first to make it appealing instead of holding them back, no ?
Because there's nothing good in that list, right? I guess it's missing those no-name indies you can get on Steam for $3. You guys are always so excited for them 🙄

A bigger splash than including games not even a year old, most of their own PS4 catalog, multiple exclusive PS5 games, etc?
They only missed the legacy content IMO. At least for now. We'll see monday what asian countries get.
They lost their shit when Guardians of the Galaxy was announced and Assassin’s Creed Origins too. GOTG is also on PS+ and not even a mention.

Valhalla, Returnal, Demons Souls, Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales etc is not good enough for some reason. Who wants to play recent AAAs? It's all about indies and niche stuff now.

The reactions in this thread is completely different. No hype at all about any games, they just ask about PS2 🙄

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Because there's nothing good in that list, right? I guess it's missing those no-name indies you can get on Steam for $3. You guys are always so excited for them 🙄

Did you even read the post and context I was replying to ?

Swift_Star

Banned
That was a given, they said they’re investing in this service and only CONCERNED CITIZENS were trolling about it.
You won’t see first party games day one there though.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
You'd imagine they would want to lead/announce with the good ones first to make it appealing instead of holding them back, no ?
The list is pretty appealing to me since I haven’t played some of the first party games that are on the service and have also not played guardians of the galaxy. Since I assume most gamers don’t buy as much games as I do, I expect the list is appealing to the broad audience too.

Banjo64

cumsessed
So you have 120+ 80 or better scored games? Lets take a look at even the past year and thier meta scores:

Control: Ultimate Edition (PS4/PS5, 85; the Ultimate Edition is a day-and-date launch, the game itself is 1.4 years old)
Hitman 2 (82, 2.8 years)

• Vampyr (70, 2.3 years)

Ok, so we have 10 more, we are at 16 total here now. But you mentioned the plus collections, so lets add that too:

So 15 more games (duplicate Uncharted 4 removed), that's 31 total. I'm not seeing a 120 games 80+ here, how far back do I have to go?
Did you go and search for the MC score for every game?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The context was about PS5 games so which "good ones" are missing?

K7PpZWC.jpg
g4qJlHg.jpg

The context is a user asking why the PS5 versions of the Uncharted games aren't on the list and the chain being "more games will be added" which led to my reply.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The context is a user asking why the PS5 versions of the Uncharted games aren't on the list and the chain being "more games will be added" which led to my reply.
That doesn't change the context at all, tho? Which "good ones are they holding back to make it appealing" 🤔

This reads to me like you don't think the list is appealing. There is no other way to read it actually.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Hitman 2 (82, 2.8 years)

• Vampyr (70, 2.3 years)

Well, he said "since launch" which was in 2010. I doubt you would have to go back that far though. PS+ used to have much better games that they have been getting the last few years.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well, he said "since launch" which was in 2010. I doubt you would have to go back that far though. PS+ used to have much better games that they have been getting the last few years.

But then your talking about an investment of $600 vs $15 to get to today.

Topher

Gold Member
But then your talking about an investment of $600 vs $15 to get to today.

No, I get it. I was just answering your question. Most gamers are not going to have accumulated every game PS+ ever offered so it doesn't really matter. PS+, as it has been, and Game Pass are very different services.

T-Cake

Hmm, I don't know what most of these PS1/2 classics are as I never had one. Could be interesting if they've got some trophies now.

skit_data

Hmm, I don't know what most of these PS1/2 classics are as I never had one. Could be interesting if they've got some trophies now.
Same here. PS2 is the only Playstation console I have never owned, which is ironic because it’s their most succesful console and it’s very easy to find both the console and games for it for a pretty small amount of money.

kyliethicc

Some more old games are popping up.

Seems like they’ll be available for individual purchase, around $5.

Might vary by region.

Ridge Racer 2

Experience "Ridge Racer 2" originally released on the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

Enjoy the thrill of the race once again! The hit PSP™ title "Ridge Racer 2" returns on the PS4™ and PS5™! Turn corners at blinding speed and savor the rush of drifting to victory in this exciting racing game. Use drifting techniques and nitro boosts to pull ahead of the competition in this white-hot race!

This title has been converted from the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) version to the PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 consoles and provides newly added features. Consequently, there may be times where the title plays differently from the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) version, or where some features may cause the title to not function properly. This version does not support the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system’s peripherals, therefore some functionality may not be available.

https://store.playstation.com/en-my/concept/10005097

Oddworld

https://store.playstation.com/en-my/product/UP4134-CUSA33999_00-3720818447088678

Experience Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee originally released on the PlayStation® console, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.

Selected by the fickle finger of fate, Abe, floor-waxer first class for RuptureFarms, was catapulted into a life of adventure when he overheard plans by his boss, Molluck the Glukkon, to turn Abe and his fellow Mudokons into Tasty Treats as part of a last-ditch effort to rescue Molluck's failing meat-packing empire.

Flee the Industrial mega-complex and guide Abe on an adventure through ancient ruins and mysterious temples as he discovers his destiny and saves his species from the clutches of Molluck and their fate as a tasty food filling!

This title has been converted from the PlayStation® version to the PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 consoles and provides newly added features. Consequently, there may be times where the title plays differently from the PlayStation® version, or where some features may cause the title to not function properly. This version does not support the PlayStation® console’s peripherals, therefore some functionality may not be availabl

Last edited:

skit_data

Some more old games are popping up.

Seems like they’ll be available for individual purchase, around $5.

Might vary by region.

Ridge Racer 2

https://store.playstation.com/en-my/concept/10005097

Oddworld

https://store.playstation.com/en-my/product/UP4134-CUSA33999_00-3720818447088678
I was just about to say, I saw this:

Hmmm… I think I actually own Abes Oddysee digitally from the PS3 era. Will be sweet if I can play it on my PS5. Let’s hope Abes Exoddus is there as well.

Some high profile games not included in the previous lists. Very promising, and further underlines that there is indeed many games not included in the PS+ Premium list from the blogpost.

Last edited:
I was just about to say, I saw this:

Hmmm… I think I actually own Abes Oddysee digitally from the PS3 era. Will be sweet if I can play it on my PS5. Let’s hope Abes Exoddus is there as well.

Some high profile games not included in the previous lists. Very promising, and further underlines that there is indeed many games not included in the PS+ Premium list from the blogpost.

Sony will always want to spread out the games so they can have some releasing every month.

I'll say this though... it's still surreal to me this is happening lmao. Is there a way to find out which PSOne games I bought back on PS3 without using it?

I only remember purchasing the ps one Resident Evil's digitally I'm glad we don't have to repurchase these hopefully Sony can release a steady flow each month. I was way more interested in the PS5 games but I'm actually getting excited for the classics especially if they have trophies good stuff Sony!

Top Bottom