• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Sinthor

Gold Member
I played DS1 right after beating Bloodborne back in 2015. My first proper souls game and man it was janky even on PC with the DSfix at 60 fps. It's a great game and perhaps even a classic but it has so many bad levels lol. Everyone hates blighttown, but i hated the level thats pitch black so much more. I also hated Sens Fortress on my first playthrough because of all the damn environmental traps. Anor Londo is amazing, but those damn archers made me rage quit the game so many times. The lack of shortcuts in some of the levels, especially the one where you go down to the ghost area and fight the kings was really really lame.

That said, a full blown remake that fixes those issues would probably make it a lot more fun like DS3. Blighttown is actually a great level when you can see whats going on, and other areas with some shortcuts wont be too bad.

DS3 was easily my favorite until i played Demon Souls. It has no bad levels and a lot of great levels and boss fights.
Well, the remake DOES fix a lot of issues. You can see now and in blight town you no longer get stuck mysteriously or slide off of branches to your death for no reason. The hotboxes are still messed up which makes PvP a bit frustrating at times (at least for me) and you can still only do the 4 direction rolling...they didn't fix that like this Demon's Souls remake did. But it's much more enjoyable than the original, IMHO. Just think it could be disappointing for someone going from this Demon's Souls remake and looking to play the others. DS 2 gets a lot of hate, but I think it's good and with the DLC it's HUGE. DS 3 is just definitely the best one in my opinion. I wish it had the updated graphics and effects that this Demon's Souls remake has, but it's still VERY good. Probably my favorite of all. This remake makes Demon's Souls go WAY up on my favorites list, but it feels very short in comparison to DS 2 and 3.

Cyborg

Guys, Ostrava isnt showing up in 1-4. Ive defeated his phantom but no key drop. He isn’t on the stairs either. What did I do wrong and is there a way to get the key?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well, the remake DOES fix a lot of issues. You can see now and in blight town you no longer get stuck mysteriously or slide off of branches to your death for no reason. The hotboxes are still messed up which makes PvP a bit frustrating at times (at least for me) and you can still only do the 4 direction rolling...they didn't fix that like this Demon's Souls remake did. But it's much more enjoyable than the original, IMHO. Just think it could be disappointing for someone going from this Demon's Souls remake and looking to play the others. DS 2 gets a lot of hate, but I think it's good and with the DLC it's HUGE. DS 3 is just definitely the best one in my opinion. I wish it had the updated graphics and effects that this Demon's Souls remake has, but it's still VERY good. Probably my favorite of all. This remake makes Demon's Souls go WAY up on my favorites list, but it feels very short in comparison to DS 2 and 3.
Is there some consensus what version of Dark Souls1 is better? 360, pc with dsfix but locked 30 or remaster? I know dsfix 60fps version have wonky jumping, some animations and player can slide more easily

Last edited:

Paulxo87

Guys, Ostrava isnt showing up in 1-4. Ive defeated his phantom but no key drop. He isn’t on the stairs either. What did I do wrong and is there a way to get the key?

Better luck in NG+ Did you run into him all the times in the previous levels? He likely died that's why you fought the phantom. Best to kill him in 4-1 when you first see him and just take the key

Sinthor

Gold Member
You either didn't rescue him successfully in 1-1, 1-2 or 1-3. Once you've killed his black phantom in 1-4 it's over. You can't get him again and get the key until New Game. Sorry.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Is there some consensus what version of Dark Souls1 is better? 360, pc with dsfix but locked 30 or remaster? I know dsfix 60fps version have wonky jumping, some animations and player can slide more easily
I think the PS4 DS remaster is best. 60fps and has more fixes than the PC version does, as far as I know.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think the PS4 DS remaster is best. 60fps and has more fixes than the PC version does, as far as I know.
More fixes than pc version? Interesting.
I've seen the DF video and the consoles versions have parallax mapping on the ground while pc does not so that's already something

Sinthor

Gold Member
More fixes than pc version? Interesting.
I've seen the DF video and the consoles versions have parallax mapping on the ground while pc does not so that's already something
By fixes I mean things like blight town, where you don't mysteriously get stuck on a piece of wood or slide to your death for no reason. Better lighting as well. I'm sure the PC version is the superior "old" version, for sure.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
DS2 gets a lot of hate but i liked it for what it is. played it right after ds1 and bloodborne on my 4 month souls games marathon and had a lot of fun basically co-oping through the entire game and all the DLC. never actually got around to beating the final boss and got burned out on the dlc, but i was level 172 when i stopped playing lol. I really liked how you could transfuse the bonfires and get into ng+ and NG+2 difficulties. Not only do you get to help people with NG+ bosses and get more souls, but you could also get NG+ rings. the game was very popular when the ps4 version came out and i remember cooping with like 4 people on every level. it was great.

i cant remember how many times i beat the chariot boss fight. great fun.

DanEON

I accidentally attacked Patches at 2-2 and he went aggro on me. So I seeked Forgiviness for the statue, but now Patches disappeared. What do I need to do to get him back?

Sinthor

Gold Member
I accidentally attacked Patches at 2-2 and he went aggro on me. So I seeked Forgiviness for the statue, but now Patches disappeared. What do I need to do to get him back?
Did you kill Patches? If so, seeking forgiveness won't bring him back. If you DIDN'T kill him when he went agro, see if you can find him in 2-2 or 4-2. Maybe it's possible you have to interact with him again so he comes to the Nexus? But this sounds like you may have killed him before you went to seek forgiveness.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The Remastered version is far and away the best version of the game. I am curious what would give you the idea that that wouldn't be the case.

DanEON

Did you kill Patches? If so, seeking forgiveness won't bring him back. If you DIDN'T kill him when he went agro, see if you can find him in 2-2 or 4-2. Maybe it's possible you have to interact with him again so he comes to the Nexus? But this sounds like you may have killed him before you went to seek forgiveness.
No. I didnt kill him. I found him at 4-2, then he went to the Nexus. So I started 2-2 and accidentally attacked him, but I didnt kill him. And now he is gone after I seeked forgiveness.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I agree. Dark Souls 3 is my favorite of all the Dark Souls games. Dark Souls 3 has been done wonders with the modding community. Cinders is one of the best mods I have ever seen. Watching FightinCowboy do a playthrough of both versions was a true joy.

Demons Souls, Bloodbone and Dark Souls 3 are mt

Nymphae

Banned
Everyone hates blighttown, but i hated the level thats pitch black so much more. I also hated Sens Fortress on my first playthrough because of all the damn environmental traps. Anor Londo is amazing, but those damn archers made me rage quit the game so many times. The lack of shortcuts in some of the levels, especially the one where you go down to the ghost area and fight the kings was really really lame.

Is this shit still an issue in Dark Souls Remastered? I am playing it right now, and I don't know if I feel like doing levels that are entirely pitch black, I was reading about levels in a guide last night and I didn't know about this stuff, that sounds completely unfun even for Souls games.

DS3 was easily my favorite until i played Demon Souls. It has no bad levels and a lot of great levels and boss fights.

I played DeS when it came out originally, and again with the PS5 version, and I just love the level designs across the board in Demon's Souls. I have never been able to get into and enjoy Dark Souls though despite trying a few times, and I just never understood the praise it receives for it's large interconnected world. I actually more or less hate all of the levels I've played in the game, it feels super cramped and designed with the specific purpose of screwing you ever as much as possible. Which is fine I guess, but Demon's Souls did the same things better imo, Boletaria will always be more memorable to me than Burgs and Parishes

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What people? I've never seen anyone criticize it whatsoever.
up until this point, like everyone I've encountered on forums and in yt comments ;P
but nevermind. Good to see it's not universally bad afterall
(info for context - we talk about ds1 remaster, not des)

Last edited:
Is this shit still an issue in Dark Souls Remastered? I am playing it right now, and I don't know if I feel like doing levels that are entirely pitch black, I was reading about levels in a guide last night and I didn't know about this stuff, that sounds completely unfun even for Souls games.

I played DeS when it came out originally, and again with the PS5 version, and I just love the level designs across the board in Demon's Souls. I have never been able to get into and enjoy Dark Souls though despite trying a few times, and I just never understood the praise it receives for it's large interconnected world. I actually more or less hate all of the levels I've played in the game, it feels super cramped and designed with the specific purpose of screwing you ever as much as possible. Which is fine I guess, but Demon's Souls did the same things better imo, Boletaria will always be more memorable to me than Burgs and Parishes
Tomb of the Giants took me less than fifteen minutes on Xbox 360 over ten years ago, so it's always weird to me that people yell about it "still being an issue". The developers put something in to make the area arbitrary, but apparently a lot of people literally walk right past it.

Before the "pitch black" level is the catacombs. You can't get to the Tomb of the Giants without going through the catacombs. In the catacombs is this immobile guy who just throw fires at you. Just tosses fire. He does one thing. He takes two or three hits and down he goes like he wanted it that way. Kill him and he drops his shield. Equip it and now whatever room you're in is illuminated. Tomb of the Giants is a short, short, extremely short level. It's short because when you wear that illuminated shield (don't upgrade it) everything becomes lit up. No more darkness. The level was so short that I was pissed on Xbox 360 when I kindled the bonfire to max and then never went back. I beat it in less than 20 minutes and then 10 years later people are still complaining about it, which boggles my mind. No, it's not still an issue. It was never an issue if you killed the catacombs fire guy. Who you can't miss.

Last edited:
I agree. Dark Souls 3 is my favorite of all the Dark Souls games. Dark Souls 3 has been done wonders with the modding community. Cinders is one of the best mods I have ever seen. Watching FightinCowboy do a playthrough of both versions was a true joy.

Demons Souls, Bloodbone and Dark Souls 3 are mt
Everyone has an opinion, because opinions are free. Lots of bad opinions out there so when someone has the RIGHT OPINION, it just warms my soul...borne. Now, I'm gonna head over to YouTube and decipher what this "cinders" thing is you've been preaching about. Thanks, Mr Football!

Last edited:

Cyborg

Can I just kill Ostrava in 1-1 for the key? Like I said he didn’t show up in my NG+ on the stairs. So im going NG++ for the last ring

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Everyone has an opinion, because opinions are free. Lots of bad opinions out there so when someone has the RIGHT OPINION, it just warms my soul...borne. Now, I'm gonna head over to YouTube and decipher what this "cinders" thing is you've been preaching about. Thanks, Mr Football!
FightinCowboy has done two playthroughs. One last Year, which was a Dark Magic build and one this year which was a strength build. Very different playthroughs in each instance. Both worth watching!

First playthrough

Lastest version of the mod

Last edited:

Raven117

Yeah, I prefer Demons as well. It’s focus is on level mastery not really on boss fights (which I prefer).
Because of that, the rythmn of the game is different than the others.

I love dark souls 2, but demons is very special. (Played at original release)

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah, I prefer Demons as well. It’s focus is on level mastery not really on boss fights (which I prefer).
Because of that, the rythmn of the game is different than the others.

I love dark souls 2, but demons is very special. (Played at original release)

I agree, I prefer DeS's rhythm overall, I prefer the From games that have a hub area like Bloodborne and DeS. I don't need constant unrelenting pressure from every facet of the game design, I like the momentary relief you get from the Hunter's Dream and Nexus.

Raven117

I agree, I prefer DeS's rhythm overall, I prefer the From games that have a hub area like Bloodborne and DeS. I don't need constant unrelenting pressure from every facet of the game design, I like the momentary relief you get from the Hunter's Dream and Nexus.
Yeah, same. That break in the pace makes it feel all the more special.

SlimySnake

Thanks, gonna chees him with Stormbringer and let the gravity do the work 😅

Edit: Stormruler I think😅
something you can try that ive always wanted to try but never got around to it, is using the acid spell on him and break his armor and weapons. See if completely breaking down his armor lets him take more damage. if his sword breaks thats fine too because then you wont take any damage.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

owns cristiano ronaldo GIF

Jimmy_liv

Just finished this. My first souls game (I did play Bloodborne)

Amazing game but I hated the Maneater fight. The amount of times he pushed me off the ledge to my death!!!!!

SlimySnake

Just finished this. My first souls game (I did play Bloodborne)

Amazing game but I hated the Maneater fight. The amount of times he pushed me off the ledge to my death!!!!!
congrats. maneaters are awful. they are glitchy and just plain cheap. you beat them by cheesing them with firestorm. one hit kill. maybe 2 if you dont have good magic stats. cheap sure, but give them a taste of their own medicine.

DanEON

yep, magic is OP in this game. Already killed half of the bosses, all of them in first attempt (only died for 2-3 Boss, but its more like a puzzle than a battle).
I killed 1-3 Boss with one Firestorm :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Cyborg

yep, magic is OP in this game. Already killed half of the bosses, all of them in first attempt (only died for 2-3 Boss, but its more like a puzzle than a battle).
I killed 1-3 Boss with one Firestorm :messenger_grinning_sweat:
How many points in your magic?

FrankWza

congrats. maneaters are awful. they are glitchy and just plain cheap. you beat them by cheesing them with firestorm. one hit kill. maybe 2 if you dont have good magic stats. cheap sure, but give them a taste of their own medicine.
How many points in your magic?
Wooden Catalyst + Kriss Sword+1
Yeah that crazy. I couldn’t even kill one with firestorm during my first run. I still has to have them hang by the fire and not lock on. When you get down to one you can use arrows on the other though if you face the second fog gate and he kind of loops. You just have to shoot to a spot because he doesn’t stay long

Rolla

Banned
QwuzxRs.jpg

Demon's Soul is my first Souls game I've completed. I tried Bloodborne at launch but the long load times inbetween deaths eventually pulled me out of the game with the self promise that I'd get back to it at some point. But I didn't have that excuse on the PS5 with load times being 2/3 seconds max I had no choice but to go "Get Good."

And for me, there was a point where the game just clicked. That moment where you go from cautious play, with your shield up around every corner, blindspot, and every turn. To being able to maneuver and punish. There are thousands of build guides online but what worked best for me was a mix of damage and magic.

In short I had an absolute blast with Demon's Souls. In part due to the early advice I got in this very thread. So to my DS aficionados on gaf... Thank you.

You've opened up an entire new genre for me and I truly hope Bluepoint get the green light to make a sequel.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
You know, I just have to say- the PS5 is amazing. This generation is going to be WILD. Just with Demon's Souls...the quality of the reflections in the occasional pool of water and the shadows...I can easily see why people were assuming it used ray tracing before that final interview and release confirmed RT was NOT present. Even saw another article more recently that pointed out some reflections and had it labeled "ray tracing" which gave me a chuckle.

Bottom line, this is a damn beautiful game...and it's a LAUNCH TITLE, not to mention that, no matter how talented BP is, they are not Insomniac or Naughty Dog. When THOSE devs roll out their PS5 only titles, we are going to just freak out! :)

Oh and I have been drawn back into Demon's Souls WAY too much. I did finish Spider Man and Miles Morales. I though the original SpiderMan remaster was just AWESOME. Beautiful and that ray tracing...plus the story made the whole package the best movie and story of Spider Man that I've seen yet! Just my opinion. Just really great overall. And that was a REMASTER!

Godfall. I'm only at like the 3rd main boss I think and I need to get back into it. I haven't not played it because it's not good. DS just keeps pulling me back in. But if people like 3rd person fighting games like Demon's Souls...I think you should take a look at Godfall. It's gotten hammered by reviews for some reason, but I'm seriously enjoying it. I can tell you that you can't just muscle past the bosses either. Sure button mashing will get you a decent ways. I mean, that works even in Demon's Souls. But it appears that Godfall is more dependent on what specific abilities you bring into a fight and also what special things you are capable of (e.g inflicting bleed or poison, etc). So...just might want to check that out folks. I think it's a shame the game isn't doing better and isn't getting better reviews. Maybe that means it will be highly discounted or on PS+ soon. Shame as I'd like to see new IP's like this be developed and improved over time. Oh well...looks like we'll be getting Elden Ring pretty soon!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Anyone else get a ce-107101-0 error while trying to pick up items? The game doesnt crash and i can continue but the only fix was fo restart the PS5

Unknown?

I have a question. What's the point of leveling up dexterity? When leveling up strength or endurance and I believe vitality they all increase physical defense stats as well as other stats. Dexterity only levels defense and seemingly doesn’t level up in larger amounts than the others.

Grinchy

Banned
I have a question. What's the point of leveling up dexterity? When leveling up strength or endurance and I believe vitality they all increase physical defense stats as well as other stats. Dexterity only levels defense and seemingly doesn’t level up in larger amounts than the others.
So that when you use weapons that scale with dexterity, they do crazy amounts of damage. Something like a sharp secret dagger will do massive damage on a riposte and a lot on a backstab. Any weapon that you make scale with dexterity will do damage based on your dexterity level.

You make the weapon a "sharp" weapon by using bladestone at the blacksmith.

Last edited:

Unknown?

So that when you use weapons that scale with dexterity, they do crazy amounts of damage. Something like a sharp secret dagger will do massive damage on a riposte and a lot on a backstab. Any weapon that you make scale with dexterity will do damage based on your dexterity level.

You make the weapon a "sharp" weapon by using bladestone at the blacksmith.
Oh gotchya. I've just been leveling up a long sword. What does that scale with?

Grinchy

Banned
Oh gotchya. I've just been leveling up a long sword. What does that scale with?
Strength, mostly. But if you're just upgrading it with regular sharpstone or hardstone, it only gets up to a C rating for strength. If you want it to really scale well with strength, you have to make it a Crushing type. Get the weapon to +3 and then start upgrading it with greystone.

There are wikis that have all this kind of information that will be useful because it is not exactly intuitive right out of the gate.

AlexEdokkoMX

Neo Member

Vaati made a nice video guide about overpowered items / spells that you can have in the first hours. They really remove most of the game's challenge, so I won't recommend to follow the it in your fist play playthrough.

Top Bottom