• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

FrankWza

i tried playing the original DeS in 4K with RPCS3. it was very very rough! going back to 4-way directional controls is not easy. just as well, my i7 7700K with a GTX 1060 was not quite up to the task. i got 60fps if i stared at the ground, but otherwise, it was in the mid-40s and even lower during gameplay. after the buttery smoothness of the PS5 version, that's going to be tough. Bluepoint are wizards.

tell that to the morons who saidRemake is the ps3 version with a paint job.
then they can go fight storm king with ruler and watch and listen to next gen happening to blind and deafen them.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
This is by far the most cruel thing that's ever happened to me in a souls game. I've died with the boss down to a silver of health before but not like this like.

What's worse is the i had to use curse weapon three times for the second maneater because he went completely nuts and refused to land on the platform for a good 2 minutes. Had my 50% bonus not run out seconds before he finally landed, i wouldve easily killed him. My crushing claymore was doing like 700 damage per hit with the curse weapon spell.

I think it's just payback for the countless times i have killed these guys in one hit with the firestorm. I never got to see how glitchy this fight can be if it goes longer than 2 seconds. He just wouldn't land.

LOL! ROFL! Sorry, brother, but THAT is the EPITOME of the Souls games! Just...too...funny! And a lot of that is because shit like this has happened to me several times in various Souls games as well. :) Just kinda comes with the territory.

I love all the new players playing this game because when I'm summoned by them and we're talking and then something like this happens, I can commiserate with them and tell them 'Welcome to Demon's Souls!' :)

Sinthor

Gold Member
is there an option to silence player moans in des remake ?
Why would they even add that
Uhhhhh....realism? ;)

No, I get what you mean. I suppose it could be an option. Maybe an option for the enemy noises too while they're at it? I think they added significantly to the game with all the new player animations and sounds though.

I mean they always had player sounds it's just that the most noticeable sounds the character made were their death screams. I sounds more like a realistic and lived in world now with the increased ambient and emotive sounds...IMHO anyway. But...I'm all good with options. The more options, the better!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PSA to everyone farming for chunks and bladestones:

Do NOT use the Providential Ring OR the Ring of Avarice. They will increase your shard drops and drastically reduce your chances of getting chunks and pure stones. I kinda knew about the Providential ring dilluting the loot pool, but didnt realize the damn Ring of Avarice was also doing the same. I was getting 1 chunk for every 30 shards when farming for greystones.

I switched those two out and boom, one chunk for every 5 shards. I now have 8 pure greystones.

Now, something weird is that the silver bracelet that also increases your souls also might actually help increase your drops. But I have not really confirmed this. I would say keep this off if you are farming for chunks and struggling to get them to drop.

Of course, you should only be farming in pure black, but after accumulating over 200 greystone shards, (99 in storage, another 99 in inventory) i can safely say that the two rings only hurt your chances for chunks.

If anyone wants, i can drop you guys some shards. they are taking up like 30kgs and I am gonna have to discard them all.

Last edited:

Do NOT use the Providential Ring OR the Ring of Avarice. They will increase your shard drops and drastically reduce your chances of getting chunks and pure stones. I kinda knew about the Providential ring dilluting the loot pool, but didnt realize the damn Ring of Avarice was also doing the same. I was getting 1 chunk for every 30 shards when farming for greystones.

I switched those two out and boom, one chunk for every 5 shards. I now have 8 pure greystones.

Now, something weird is that the silver bracelet that also increases your souls also might actually help increase your drops. But I have not really confirmed this. I would say keep this off if you are farming for chunks and struggling to get them to drop.

Of course, you should only be farming in pure black, but after accumulating over 200 greystone shards, (99 in storage, another 99 in inventory) i can safely say that the two rings only hurt your chances for chunks.

If anyone wants, i can drop you guys some shards. they are taking up like 30kgs and I am gonna have to discard them all.

Are you SERIOUS?!? Well, no wonder and I now feel significantly less unlucky.

Thanks, Snake.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Kept up my recent tradition of taking a break from whatever else I’m playing on Sundays ro get back to Demon’s Souls. Played through 3-1 today. Wasn’t that hard a level, just big and took a while to learn the layout and explore. Boss wasn’t too bad, but still took 10 or so attempts. Run back to it was easy, but over long IMO. Checked to make sure I didn’t miss a shortcut and I hadn’t.

Saved Freke and learned soul ray from him and hit soul level 35 after leveling. Will do 4-1 next time I play (may be a bit since we’ll be gone the 24th-2nd). Maybe I’ll take another break from Cyberpunk one night this week. First part of level should be smooth as I got the crescent falchion and farmed the skeletons to grind some levels in last week’s session.

Last edited:
My first FROM game that I've finished!
What a magnificent game. Will start new game+ immidiately.

I just wish Sony/FROM/Bluepoint would update Bloodborne to run 60fps and at a higher resolution. I can't go from Demon's Souls Remake super smooth 60fps to Bloodborne's choppy framerate.
Never finished BB and would like to do so.

I think you are wrong on the Ring of Avarice. I've spent way too much time farming with it both in the original and in the remake for me to believe that it reduces the drop rates of Chunks and Pure stones. And your post is the first time I've ever seen it even conjectured.

I think you just got unlucky and are blaming it on the ring.

Ar¢tos

I think you are wrong on the Ring of Avarice. I've spent way too much time farming with it both in the original and in the remake for me to believe that it reduces the drop rates of Chunks and Pure stones. And your post is the first time I've ever seen it even conjectured.

I usually farm souls at the same time as materials, so I use avarice + (sometimes) providential*, soul thirst and, when possible, soulsuck, with a base luck of 7 I get a good amount of chunks and sometimes even pures. The only one I find harder to farm chunks is Dragonstone.
*Providential ring doesn't change quality of loot, only chance of loot being dropped, so for enemies with 100% drop rate it does nothing. What increases the chance of higher quality loot is pbwt, and luck stat.

Cyborg

Yeah finished the game, such an amazing experience! Never played it on PS3.

Btw why are the regular enemies in NG+ harder than the bosses? :D Whats the deal with that? Haha!

BGs

Industry Professional
I leave you the custom filter configuration that I use to play, in case anyone is interested.

Here is a quick comparison.

No filter (default)
Demon-s-Souls-20201218201109.jpg

With my filter (custom)
Demon-s-Souls-20201218201005.jpg

FILTER
Filter - Custom
Persist In Game - Use In Game
Filter Intensity - 1.00

PICTURE
Brightness - 0.00
Contrast - 1.25
Exposure - 2.25
Saturation - 1.00

COLOUR
Colour Balance
Shadows RGB - (1-1-1)
Midtones RGB - (1.05-1-1)
Highlights RGB - (1-1.1-1.05)
Tint RGB - (1-1-1.25)

BLOOM
Threshold - 1
Strength - 1
Fall-off - 0.5
Saturation - 1
Lens Debris - 1.25

Keep in mind that these settings are adapted for my television and could differ from yours, but by changing these settings a little you could achieve something similar.

If someone wanted to put their custom filters I would be happy to try them.

For those who do not know yet, you can play with these filters, they are not only for photo mode, they are also in-game.

UMBASA

Demon-s-Souls-20201215204109.jpg

SlimySnake

Yeah finished the game, such an amazing experience! Never played it on PS3.

Btw why are the regular enemies in NG+ harder than the bosses? :D Whats the deal with that? Haha!
i think the game expects you to run a +10 shield or something. the miners were completely depleting my stamina with just one hit. i had the flame shield equipped. NG+ is really hard in this game.

i had the same issue with farming bladestones. i always had the Ring of Avarice equipped because I like to farm souls, but the ninja knight in 4-2 behind the hidden wall kept dropping soul remains. made no sense. it took me over 2 hours to get enough chunks to get one +5 sharp weapon built. and I only got it after i switched out the ring to the magic sharpness ring so i can kill him with the flame spell quickly.

give it a shot next time you try. maybe they did something in this remake. i know there was a patch to increase the pure bladestone drop rate so maybe something is messing with it since the patch.

DanEON

Hey guys, it probably have already been talked here, but I just received my PS5 and I am going to start DS in 30min and I would like to know which is the easiest class of the game? I heard Royalty is the best start class, but is it good until the end?
Should I go magic only or melee + magic?

Last edited:

Nakasan

Hey guys, it probably have already been talked here, but I just received my PS5 and I am going to start DS in 30min and I would like to know which is the easiest class of the game? I heard Royalty is the best start class, but is it good until the end?

I started with Temple Knight when I bought my PS5. Worked a treat for me!

Cyborg

I dont think it matters, later on you can go whatever way you want. I started with Royalty and ended up a STR build.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I forgot to kill myself in the nexus after 3-1 and I am doing 4-1 and died in human form and not I am getting red skeletons and harder mobs in the tendency. Anyway i can reverse this back easily?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
royalty comes with magic right out the gate. imo you are going to want magic eventually no matter what, Royalty is a good first step towards that.

Nakasan

yep, I think I will start with Temple Knight and make the Gloom Knight build that I saw in Fextralife. I think it suits better my playstyle.

And, if I may, don't overlook ranged options if/when you come across them. Other than that, I went in totally blind and enjoyed the HELL out of it. Enjoy!

SlimySnake

I forgot to kill myself in the nexus after 3-1 and I am doing 4-1 and died in human form and not I am getting red skeletons and harder mobs in the tendency. Anyway i can reverse this back easily?
nope. you will have to beat the boss or get someone to invade you using a password and then kill them.

you can also try dying a couple more times in human form to get to pure black. that will spawn a red phantom by the bonfire. you will have to kill it and it will put it closer to neutral.

or you can just use the adjudicator skip to skip the entire level, kill the boss and that should put it back up to neutral and get rid of the red phantoms.

i had the same issue with farming bladestones. i always had the Ring of Avarice equipped because I like to farm souls, but the ninja knight in 4-2 behind the hidden wall kept dropping soul remains. made no sense. it took me over 2 hours to get enough chunks to get one +5 sharp weapon built. and I only got it after i switched out the ring to the magic sharpness ring so i can kill him with the flame spell quickly.

give it a shot next time you try. maybe they did something in this remake. i know there was a patch to increase the pure bladestone drop rate so maybe something is messing with it since the patch.
If you want to go by anecdotes, I had 3 Pure Bladestones drop in 4 kills of the pure black phantom at the end of 4-2, with the Ring of Avarice equipped.

I got astronomically lucky either way, but even more so if the RoA actually made it less likely to drop.

Sinthor

Gold Member
So, real quick, can I raise the white world tendency to pure white by helping folks kill the black phantom Old Monk?
The Old Monk counts like a normal boss and doesn't seem to affect your tendency. I won't see not at all, but very little. From what I've seen doing a pure black character tendency invasion build...beating one of your bosses doesn't shift character tendency to white (verified using Northern Regalia damage as the metric). What DOES move you towards white, is being SUMMONED and helping a host kill a boss. Any boss. Shifts you by just a little. Now, killing an invader for your host (YOU have to get in the killing blow) shifts you quite a bit in character tendency, but the bosses shift you just a bit. Old Monk is not an exception. He shifts you a tiny bit like a normal boss...he doesn't count as a black phantom invader.

Also, "regular" black phantoms like the crossbow chick in 3-1 or the twin wanderers in 2-2, they don't count for your character tendency. Only PvP invaders and "named" black phantoms like Mirenda the executioner in 1-1, Scrivir in 2-2 and so on.

Tip- As Snake mentioned..the EASY way to shift your character tendency to pure white is to find someone and use a password to have them invade you and let you kill them a few times. I believe it's 3-5 kills depending on how black your tendency is. Or...get the spell resurrection, which allows you to 'banish' blue phantoms you have summoned- it sends them back to their worlds and makes them human like a successful boss run. A few resurrections and you'll be in pure white character tendency.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Ok, so the blueblood sword is easily the best DPS weapon in the game. I was going to do a NG run, but realized I already had it on my NG+2 run where i had all the stats spread out and was able to start using it right away even with my luck at around 10 it was doing pretty decent damage.

Then i started upgrading luck. every level up gives you 4 damage points. by the time i hit 25, i had around 330 damage which doesnt sound a lot on NG+ but with the Light weapon enchantment, my damage went up to 490. With luck at 30, and casting Light weapon with the infinity catalyst, my damage went up to 561. Higher than the Northern Regalia which is a big sword. And all this with magic only at around 23. even with pine resin, i was doing well over 450 damage.

It has great stagger potential despite being a regular sword and at 30 endurance, i can get like 8 swings in. Poor King Allant was taking almost 1500 damage in one combo. on NG+2 no less. the fight lasted just a little over a minute.

It's probably not a great weapon to use on NG, but on NG+ cycles with everything at 18, its dps is the best ive seen outside of firestorm.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So, real quick, can I raise the white world tendency to pure white by helping folks kill the black phantom Old Monk?
Helping others doesnt influence your own world tendency.
The host however will get extra world tendency for helping you as phantom regain body form.

Raven117

The Old Monk counts like a normal boss and doesn't seem to affect your tendency. I won't see not at all, but very little. From what I've seen doing a pure black character tendency invasion build...beating one of your bosses doesn't shift character tendency to white (verified using Northern Regalia damage as the metric). What DOES move you towards white, is being SUMMONED and helping a host kill a boss. Any boss. Shifts you by just a little. Now, killing an invader for your host (YOU have to get in the killing blow) shifts you quite a bit in character tendency, but the bosses shift you just a bit. Old Monk is not an exception. He shifts you a tiny bit like a normal boss...he doesn't count as a black phantom invader.

Also, "regular" black phantoms like the crossbow chick in 3-1 or the twin wanderers in 2-2, they don't count for your character tendency. Only PvP invaders and "named" black phantoms like Mirenda the executioner in 1-1, Scrivir in 2-2 and so on.

Tip- As Snake mentioned..the EASY way to shift your character tendency to pure white is to find someone and use a password to have them invade you and let you kill them a few times. I believe it's 3-5 kills depending on how black your tendency is. Or...get the spell resurrection, which allows you to 'banish' blue phantoms you have summoned- it sends them back to their worlds and makes them human like a successful boss run. A few resurrections and you'll be in pure white character tendency.
Helping others doesnt influence your own world tendency.
The host however will get extra world tendency for helping you as phantom regain body form.
Thanks for the tips!

DanEON

I saw someone mentioning this on Era and I just tested it myself, and I can confirm that Demon's Souls doesn't use the PS5 HDR calibration. With my OLED C9, no matter how I calibrate the HDR on PS5, the game will always clip the highlight details if I use the TV's HGIG. So the best setting for LG OLED owners is to set DTM off, since it uses an 4000nit roll off, and then it wont clip the hightlight details. You can test this by looking at the clouds at the first area of the game.

FrankWza

I saw someone mentioning this on Era and I just tested it myself, and I can confirm that Demon's Souls doesn't use the PS5 HDR calibration. With my OLED C9, no matter how I calibrate the HDR on PS5, the game will always clip the highlight details if I use the TV's HGIG. So the best setting for LG OLED owners is to set DTM off, since it uses an 4000nit roll off, and then it wont clip the hightlight details. You can test this by looking at the clouds at the first area of the game.

looks pretty good on mine. Good test spot is upperLatria after the phantom before the boss area behind the steps along the edge. HGIG on, brightness 51 and black level low. Tower knight arch stone for light detail.

DanEON

looks pretty good on mine. Good test spot is upperLatria after the phantom before the boss area behind the steps along the edge. HGIG on, brightness 51 and black level low. Tower knight arch stone for light detail.
It seems good with HGIG, but it have some clipping on highlight details. Thats because the games seems to ignore the PS5 calibration.
Try a different HDR calibration on the PS5, set the peak brightness very low (first and second screen), where you can clearly see the sun in the middle. Then go back to the game and you will see that nothing changed.
Toggle HGIG on and off, and you will see that with off it has more details.

FrankWza

It seems good with HGIG, but it have some clipping on highlight details. Thats because the games seems to ignore the PS5 calibration.
Try a different HDR calibration on the PS5, set the peak brightness very low (first and second screen), where you can clearly see the sun in the middle. Then go back to the game and you will see that nothing changed.
Toggle HGIG on and off, and you will see that with off it has more details.

I went over the sun appearing.Try going one over where the sun disappears.

Bartski

Gold Member
The Fractured mode was literally making me nauseous at times. Did anyone play it and actually liked the experience?

I think it might be even more disorientating if you know the game very well, I somehow couldn't play it more than necessary to get those ceramic coins...

I think what really makes it difficult is how it switches your main weapon to the left hand while you still control it with the right bumper/trigger... so all of your natural gameplay instincts of dodging and circle-strafing directions, the directions of attacks from enemies, stuff you stop thinking about then you play the game a lot, it all starts working against you the more it feels "natural" to you during normal gameplay...

DanEON

If you recalibrate your c9 settings as well?
what do you mean? My TV calibration is the same. I just change the DTM between HGIG and Off, and I do the PS5 calibatrion again with each. But like I said, the game ignores the PS5 calibration.

FrankWza

what do you mean? My TV calibration is the same. I just change the DTM between HGIG and Off, and I do the PS5 calibatrion again with each. But like I said, the game ignores the PS5 calibration.
I don’t think it is that simple. You have to adjust brightness, contrast and black level when you change dtm

DanEON

I don’t think it is that simple. You have to adjust brightness, contrast and black level when you change dtm
You can test it with HGIG on, without changing it to off. Just test different calibrations on PS5 and you will see that no matter what you set it, the game will look the same. Then you just decide if you want hgig with some clipping or dtm off.

Last edited:
Did you reset your PS5? That happened once for me, where the game just seems to load indefinitely. Rebooting the PS5 fixed it and hasn't occurred again since.
That bug is wierd. I'd get it every time I turned the console off overnight but if I left it in rest mode with the game closed it'd launch just fine. How does turning a console off and on agian (overnight) cause a bug that is solved by turning a colsole off and on again?!??

FrankWza

You can test it with HGIG on, without changing it to off. Just test different calibrations on PS5 and you will see that no matter what you set it, the game will look the same. Than you just decide if you want hgig with some clipping or dtm off.
I’m saying, when you calibrate or use the console hdr calibration you need to do it all with HGIG on.

DanEON

My set never looks the same when I switch it on and off. All the settings need to be readjusted. Console and tv. That’s weird
This is starting to get repetitive. I dont know if you are understanding what I am saying.
Ofcourse it dont looks the same between On and Off. But it looks better with DTM off, because the Game has its own tone mapping and is not using the PS5 calibration, so with HGIG On it will clip highlight details, because the game tone mapping probably has higher peak brightness than what the TV can display (800nits).

FrankWza

This is starting to get repetitive. I dont know if you are understanding what I am saying.
Ofcourse it dont looks the same between On and Off. But it looks better with DTM off, because the Game has its own tone mapping and is not using the PS5 calibration, so with HGIG On it will clip highlight details, because the game tone mapping probably has higher peak brightness than what the TV can display (800nits).
I get it. Totally misunderstanding each other. I use HGIG on during demons souls after console calibration. Then, I calibrated the tv. I mentioned the 2 spots, upper latria and knights arch stone for a dark and light spot. Then go to the bridge and check for clipping

Top Bottom