• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

yeah, got her with the meat clever yesterday on NG+ and it was much easier than trying to kill her with smaller swords and katanas. shes very easy to kill mid range. Her dagger is very deadly up close and her arrows hit hard.
I held my knight's shield+10 up and waited for an opening. One heavy attack, roll, shield up and repeat. Also warding was a huge help against her.

Guys, I think I'm too retarded to play this game. After the first two bosses of the first world I just can't progress at all. All the other worlds are too hard for me.
Just stick with it!
Demon's Souls Remake is my first FROM game that I've finished (still waiting BB to get 60fps..)

I first got really frustrated with this game, but once you "get it" it doesn't lose it's grip. It's one of the best games I've played in a long time.

Just try other worlds and be patient! Play some other game when it's getting too frustrating/hard. The return upon it the next day and you'll be kicking ass!

Last edited:
Guys, I think I'm too retarded to play this game. After the first two bosses of the first world I just can't progress at all. All the other worlds are too hard for me.

2-1 should not be too hard, especially if you managed to beat 1-2.

Try upgrading your weapon a bit in the Nexus with the ore you find around 2-1.

Last edited:

FrankWza

You just have to get some items and level a bit. Get crescent falchion in 4-1 and go back and level behind the knight archstone. That will even things out a little and you’ll be able to kick some ass

FrankWza

I held my knight's shield+10 up and waited for an opening. One heavy attack, roll, shield up and repeat. Also warding was a huge help against her.
Warding totally. Her bolts are annoying . They’re basically the bolts that come out of the statue you have to disable

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Intentions GIF by Justin Bieber

Mr Hyde

I love the different backstabbing animations Bluepoint has done for all weapon classes. Makes parrying and backstabbing so much more fun. It's a satisfying weight to it, smacking a big ass two handed sword right in the back skull of a dregling, or punching his teeth out with God's Hands, never gets old. It's also funny when you do it to the miners in Stonefang because their pickaxes and molten swords fly straight up in the air. It looks really brutal sometimes, and with that cracking sound effect upon impact, it sounds like you are crushing their spine or skull.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
go to 4-1 and get the crescent falchion.

then do world 2.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think it has more to do with you give up too easily. I’m myself not exactly high skill player, if I can beat this game so everyone else.

Last edited:

Fuchalmania

Claimed the platimun trophy last night. It now sits next to my Bloodborne platimun.

Going to take a break from it for a while, as it's all I've played since the PS5 launched. Will jump back in later in the year when there are more players for invasion and co-op, and when they patch it so we can delete un-wanted characters.

Really happy with From, Bluepoint and Sony for making this game happen.

Thanks to all the players I've come across in my travels. Thanks also for the GAF Soulsborne community.

Sorry for the slight derailment, but I'm in the middle of an earth shattering crisis.

Currently playing Dark Souls 3, and I have no idea what weapon to use. Currently level 74, I'm terrible at point allocation. It's a mess, and badly unfocused I feel. Strength 34, Dex 20. I'm all about PvE, and keep seeing an infused Astora Greatsword as a good all around unless I could get that concaved looking axe (forgot the name). I'm running around with a basic hand axe that I got near the beginning and having changed lol. What should I use?

SlimySnake

so I did a +10 claymore knight build and a super magic build.

Any other fun build/weapon ideas?
I did one run per class. Did a Dex build with a Sharp Uchigatana and a Sticky bow. Lots of fun, but required a lot grinding for bladestone shards. Then did a Moonlight Sword faith build. Not an OP build because the moonlight sword isnt exactly powerful in this game but i had a great time just destroying knights in world 1 since the moonlight sword goes through shields. Istarelle is a great faith based weapon so I would recommend that as well. But it needs colorless demon souls to upgrade iirc. Blessed weapons that heal you are great for Faith Builds because you can pair them with the adjudicator shield, the regenerator ring and the regenerator spell and basically play this game like cod.

A +10 claymore is powerful but i thought the crushing claymore with cursed weapon was super OP as well. On NG+, turned my str build into a str+dex+faith build and played with the Meat Clever which gets S scaling for both STR and DEX and A for Faith. At 45 STR, 33 Dex and 25 Faith, it's at 470 AR and thats before the 50% bonus with cursed weapon. it also launches enemies on a hit which makes it a lot of fun to use. its dual wielding 3 hit combo does insane damage to bosses while staggering them.

But by far my most favorite build is the Luck build which i started on NG+2 after completely messing up my NG run by distributing points in every skill and ending up in a really bad situation where no weapon was powerful enough for NG+ or the final bosses. Luckily there is a weapon for just this scenario, the Blueblood sword which has 18 str, dex, faith and magic requirements but scales with Luck as well. My AR is 380 with Luck at around 40 and with the Magic enchantment, it goes up to 610 higher than the Northern Regalia and on par with my Meat Clever build which is insane because its just a straight sword.

Rolla

Banned

Don't progress through the world that way. Try this path.

1. Gates of Boletaria (1 - 1)
  2. The Lord's Path (1 - 2)
  3. Smithing Grounds (2 - 1)
  4. Prison of Hope (3 - 1)

1. Island's Edge (4 - 1)
  2. Depraved Chasm (5 - 1)
  3. The Tunnel City (2 - 2)
  4. Underground Temple (2 - 3)

1. Upper Latria (3 - 2)
  2. The Ritual Path (4 - 2)
  3. Inner Ward (1 - 3)
  4. Swamp of Sorrow (5 - 2)

1. The Ivory Tower (3 - 3)
  2. Altar of Storms (4 - 3)
  3. Rotting Haven (5 - 3)
  4. The King's Tower (1 - 4)

Hey everyone,

I’ve been working my way through the platinum and I’m the tail end of getting the last few rings and spells. A question has a raised since I think I made an error on my play through and I had to save scum my play through through psplus.

I noticed that when I killed the Old King and got his ring, my pure white tendency went back to neutral. As such, I was locked out of the gate in the very beginning of Boletería where an npc woman with an axe is waiting to kill you (it only opens with Pure white). However, don’t I need to kill her Black Phantom in pure black world tendency? But the gate is still locked??

I downloaded a previous save and actually killed her this time, and it went to neutral now, and I killed the old king again which was annoying and boring. The gate stayed opened this time so I guess that answers that. However, I’m wondering since I’m in NG plus do I have to do the side quests for the NPCs that become BP in DWT? For example, do I have to bring the sword again to Mokoto in shrine of storms? Do I have to show the dragon sword to scriver? ETC. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Ixion

Beat this game once already and now a decent ways into my NG+ run. This is one of the best RPGs I've ever played for a few reasons:

• This game looks, sounds, feels, and plays like butter. The top-notch detail in the visuals, the smooth framerate, the crisp sound and rumble effects.....just straight butter.
  • I love how this game is entirely made up of hand-crafted, well designed levels that have cool weapons/items/secrets in set locations. Too many RPGs are just all about wandering around open worlds, doing collectathons, overcomplicated crafting, unlocking everything through menus, etc. In this game it's mostly about exploring the levels and simply finding powerful stuff in tucked away locations. It makes the game feel a bit more mythical, and it also promotes community engagement since we can help each other find useful things instead of everything being procedural or mapped out in a collactathon skill tree.
  • The complete lack of music during the levels is something that gives the game a unique feel and atmosphere. It makes for almost a meditative experience as you progress through the levels, and of course it amplifies the ambience.
  • The choices you have in how to build out your character are very wide, which can really change your experience with the game. I've barely scratched the surface here obviously since I'm just taking my same strength character into NG+.
  • The story is minimal and non-intrusive, but pretty badass and interesting to learn about from the NPCs.

The only Soulsborne game I ever played significantly before this was the original Demon's Souls back when it came out, but I dropped it about halfway through because I had zero clue what I was doing and just rage quit after dying so much. This time I made sure to stay in soul form for my first playthrough and I also picked up some of those powerful early game weapons to get me going. That made the game a lot more manageable, but still a very solid challenge. Not to mention the quick load times make dying less painful in this version. All in all this is definitely one of the best launch games ever. Well done to all involved.

IMO the easiest path to take is to stay in 2-1 and try to get a mirdan hammer that drops from the peaceful miners near the elevator shortcut. It's a rare drop though. But if you get it, its one of the best weapons in the game if you 2 hand it and it's OP against the skeletons in 4-1 which you can farm for souls to gain early levels fast.

If you really want to make the game easy, dragon mirdan hammer +5.

Last edited:

DrDamn

• I love how this game is entirely made up of hand-crafted, well designed levels that have cool weapons/items/secrets in set locations. Too many RPGs are just all about wandering around open worlds, doing collectathons, overcomplicated crafting, unlocking everything through menus, etc. In this game it's mostly about exploring the levels and simply finding powerful stuff in tucked away locations. It makes the game feel a bit more mythical, and it also promotes community engagement since we can help each other find useful things instead of everything being procedural or mapped out in a collactathon skill tree.

The crafted level design has always been the star of the show for the Soulsborne games with me. Adds so much to the games that people can often miss and under appreciate. The interconnected worlds of Dark Souls onwards build on this nicely too.

I'm coming to the end of my first playthrough now, my usual default build of shield and quick weapon + bow has been augmented with a strong magic focus this time round. Next run I'll try miracles or knight + big sword.

Mr Hyde

NG + finished. My third playthrough with a second character. Maneater and Allant was pretty challenging but overall, this run was manageable. One trophy left for platinum, it's collecting all sorceries, which I'll be able to do on NG+2.

However, I'm gonna take a small break, continuing with other games in the backlog before attempting a new run. Wanna create a new character too, going for strength and high vitality, with axes and possibly Penetrator Sword as main weapons. Gloom Set or Binding Cross as armor choice. Want something hard hitting, brutal and punishing. Thinking about modeling him after the famous French executioner Charles-Henri Sanson and go all pure black in both world and character tendency.

DanEON

Guys. I am about to start the Mephistopheles quest, but I just noticed that Ostrava is not in the Nexus. I did save him at 1-1 but he didnt went to the Nexus and I cant find him anywhere. In 1-4 there is only his Phantom. Does this means he is dead?

My fear is that I start the Mephistopheles quest and
she asks me to kill him and then I cant find him and get stuck in the quest. Or will she just skip his name? I just need the Foe's Ring for the Trophy

FrankWza

Guys. I am about to start the Mephistopheles quest, but I just noticed that Ostrava is not in the Nexus. I did save him at 1-1 but he didnt went to the Nexus and I cant find him anywhere. In 1-4 there is only his Phantom. Does this means he is dead?

she asks me to kill him and then I cant find him and get stuck in the quest. Or will she just skip his name? I just need the Foe's Ring for the Trophy
If he’s not on the steps after blue dragon perch hes dead

I’m on NG++ and still loving this game. I’m not playing it often but I did a few levels last night.

Fantastic game and remake. I now have 4 Demons Souls platinums.

Ar¢tos

Ostrava RIP
His quest is the most demanding one. You need to save him in every area of world 1and talk with him in the Nexus after each save. Its either do that or kill him if you want the Mausoleum key.
For Mephistopheles quest you CANNOT talk with him in 1-4.
If he is already dead she will just skip him. You just miss the rewards for npcs that are already dead.

Last edited:

DanEON

Ostrava RIP
His quest is the most demanding one. You need to save him in every area of world 1and talk with him in the Nexus after each save. Its either do that or kill him if you want the Mausoleum key.
For Mephistopheles quest you CANNOT talk with him in 1-4.
If he is already dead she will just skip him. You just miss the rewards for npcs that are already dead.
ok thanks.
Thats not a problem if he is dead. I already got all I need from him in my first playthrough, I am at NG+ now.

Sinthor

Gold Member

Whether he's actually dead or not (probably is) once you get to his black phantom in 1-4 it's all over. You'll have to go to a new game in order to encounter him again. Sorry!

The good news is you can still get the foe ring. Mephistopheles will skip over any NPC's that are already dead. You just don't get the reward for killing him which I believe is the Talisman of Beasts (which you can get by making 2-2 go pure black world tendency as well). Now, if you needed to get the Mausoleum key to kill old King Doran and or get Soulbrandt...you're hosed until you go new game.

Last edited:
Question: does the CHARACTER tendency change in small spurts like the WORLD tendency? For example, when going towards white world tendency, the eyeball stages go from neutral looking, to slightly light looking, to light looking, and then to full blown white light with particles coming out denoting pure white tendency.

i ask this bc I’m going for pure with Character tendency and I killed all 5 BP npcs but I didn’t get full white (it looked king half white and half dark); I then looked up and found out that killing BO Scriver through falling doesn’t affect Character tendency so I lucked out on that. I’m killing the npcs again through cloud save and I’ve killed 3 now but I noticed the Character tendency isn’t changing. does pure white look like pure white like in world tendency with the sparkles coming out?

I hope I didn’t luck out in this run cause I’m really starting to get annoyed with this tendency crap in an otherwise amazing game.

SlimySnake

Quick tip for people struggling with the 3-3 boss run against the Mind Flayers. Use the anti magic miracle to completely nerf those mother fuckers. they will not be able to use any magic spells and even the PvP boss fight wont be able to summon the honing magic darts. those guys are my most hated enemy type in the game and I cannot believe i beat the game almost 10 times before i found out about this.

FrankWza

Quick tip for people struggling with the 3-3 boss run against the Mind Flayers. Use the anti magic miracle to completely nerf those mother fuckers. they will not be able to use any magic spells and even the PvP boss fight wont be able to summon the honing magic darts. those guys are my most hated enemy type in the game and I cannot believe i beat the game almost 10 times before i found out about this.
So they can’t do the one hit ray or the paralyzed shot? What do they do? Do they still try to stab with their tentacles or is that magic too? I spend so much time shooting them with arrows...

I know this isn’t the thread but wanted to report back to EviLore EviLore because he’d suggested I give Dark Souls Remastered a go since I’d platinumed demons souls remake. Boy oh boy DSR is so good so far. Have acquired the lord vessel, demon fire sage, centipede demon. Ceaseless discharge, seath scaleless, bed of chaos are all down 🙏 what a terrific game!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

So they can’t do the one hit ray or the paralyzed shot? What do they do? Do they still try to stab with their tentacles or is that magic too? I spend so much time shooting them with arrows...
That's right. They will keep trying to do the magic attacks but the only thing you will see is the animation.

They can supposedly still grab you but i didn't experience that. They typically only do that if you are stunned but without magic they can't stun you.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I know this isn’t the thread but wanted to report back to EviLore EviLore because he’d suggested I give Dark Souls Remastered a go since I’d platinumed demons souls remake. Boy oh boy DSR is so good so far. Have acquired the lord vessel, demon fire sage, centipede demon. Ceaseless discharge, seath scaleless, bed of chaos are all down 🙏 what a terrific game!
Awesome, great to hear. Make sure you know how to access the DLC areas and do those before you finish your run. They're a real treat. Otherwise, enjoy. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

FrankWza

That's right. They will keep trying to do the magic attacks but the only thing you will see is the animation.

They can supposedly still grab you but i didn't experience that. They typically only do that if you are stunned but without magic they can't stun you.
Good stuff. When I have to go back for BP rydell I’ll give it a go. They never stop being creepy and I’m on NG+

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Question: does the CHARACTER tendency change in small spurts like the WORLD tendency? For example, when going towards white world tendency, the eyeball stages go from neutral looking, to slightly light looking, to light looking, and then to full blown white light with particles coming out denoting pure white tendency.

i ask this bc I’m going for pure with Character tendency and I killed all 5 BP npcs but I didn’t get full white (it looked king half white and half dark); I then looked up and found out that killing BO Scriver through falling doesn’t affect Character tendency so I lucked out on that. I’m killing the npcs again through cloud save and I’ve killed 3 now but I noticed the Character tendency isn’t changing. does pure white look like pure white like in world tendency with the sparkles coming out?

I hope I didn’t luck out in this run cause I’m really starting to get annoyed with this tendency crap in an otherwise amazing game.
Yes it changes one step towards white or black depending on your actions. And i think just one step at a time.

It does look exactly the same like the world tendencys.

I messed up too in my first run by killing the normal npc Scirvir.

You can still kill an invader to up character tendency!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Realistically, how long will it take me to get Pure Bladestone?

Cuz I been trying for a couple hours now...

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

Took me about 40 min with pure black world tendency.

I say between 5 min and an hour everything is possible.

Just be sure to have black world tendency and do not use the providential ring!

FrankWza

The one behind the hidden wall dropped for me pretty quick. 15 tried and it’s a quick run if you drop and sprint left you don’t have to engage the reaper

Top Bottom