• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls 60fps w RPCS3

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Now that Demon’s Souls is getting a remake many are wondering what the game is like and we are at a point where PC emulation makes a 4K 60fps experience easily within reach. A copy of the original PS3 game can be purchased for around $30 and with minutes of setup you can have it up and running in high def.

I’m playing it now and it is glorious. Only takes around 5 minutes to set up the patch once you have the emulator installed.

The 60fps patch was released last year and has to be installed separately. You can follow the instructions here:

Not that my experience has been perfect. The game was running twice as fast so I had to turn cpu clock back down to 100%. Also some of the sound effects seem to be doubled. But it is a small price to pay for a high def version of this masterpiece.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I was trying to run it but it somehow fals to cooperate with my graphics card, all suggested settings tested

Bartski

Gold Member
8 gig radeon 380, the rest should be fine. The game launches but I see no in-game graphics (everything is black just some shades and particle effects) in glorious 10fps.

Bartski

Gold Member
I have no choice, it's a Hackintosh I need for work and there are no NVIDIA drivers for macOS anymore

Graciaus

Does the emulator let you download someone else's shader cache? When I played it annoyed the hell out of me building my own.

PhoenixTank

8 gig radeon 380, the rest should be fine. The game launches but I see no in-game graphics (everything is black just some shades and particle effects) in glorious 10fps.
Which renderer are you using?
Config/Settings -> GPU -> Renderer dropdown.
Vulkan should be your best bet, if you're not on that already, but can try OpenGL if not. OpenGL is older and performance will suffer comparatively but possibly more compatible if there are edge case bugs.

oh you're running on MacOS for this? I don't think they even allow Vulkan on there :messenger_sad_relieved:
I fear you're going to have a bad time regardless. Get yourself a Windows or Linux partition to boot into?

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
thanks. I tried that and many other configs according to various tutorials, same results. Ended up buying a second-hand PS3 just to play this game. Will do for now until the remake arrives

Edit: no it's WIN10 but I need every piece of my PC to be macOS complient, to run Hackintosh on the second partition, which means I'm married to AMD for better or worse. Anyway, thanks for the tip :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned

Select Write Color Buffers in GPU settings and switch to Vulcan from OpenGL.

REason why everything is black is because of that Write Color Buffers. AMD has terrible performance with OpenGL use Vulcan.

Bartski

Gold Member
tnx yeah I had them on, the menu help even says you can't run Demon's Souls without them. No change. I'm not a fan of AMD at all.

ethomaz

Banned
If they doesn't add a lot of new content there is no reason to buy again.
A new entry level is welcome.

Life

Does the emulator let you download someone else's shader cache? When I played it annoyed the hell out of me building my own.

Exactly - no one talks about this HUGE flaw - regardless of what system specs you have. Literally unplayable unless you go through the game bit by bit and annoyingly getting shader cache

Last edited:
once the shader cache is fully compiled it's a non-issue. but yea, you have to run around a lot to cache everything. on top of that, the hack feels like a hack in many places.

it's still the best way to currently play Demon's Souls, but man am i pumped for an officially supported way to play the game without the jankiness of emulating it

PhoenixTank

Edit: no it's WIN10 but I need every piece of my PC to be macOS complient, to run Hackintosh on the second partition, which means I'm married to AMD for better or worse. Anyway, thanks for the tip
Bless you for editing in that you're on Win 10. I nearly posted again to ask!

FWIW, RPCS3 is still under heavy development. I know you've opted to play on hardware, but I imagine they'd appreciate people filing bugs if they're getting issues like yours even after going through the motions.
There are a lot for just Demon's Souls.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Does the 60fps give some sort of gamplay bug?
I have not seen any. Killed three bosses so far and it’s pretty good.

Only problem for me is the doubled audio, which is inconsistent. Sometimes it doubles everything as long as I am under the bridge in Boletaria do instance. once I go outside or back to the main floor the audio issues go away

Reactions: Fuz

ACESHIGH

Banned
Yep. I played it on an FX6300. It's a bit under the recommended specs for the emulator, but other than some stuttering and low fps here and there I was able to play 2 entire runs of the game.

Top Bottom