• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline: Disney Eyeing Chris Pratt For Indiana Jones Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want him in everything but simultaneously don't want him in everything
They should just make two versions of every film, one with him as the lead and one without

Seems awful for the part, but that's probably because I can't imagine anyone but Ford being Indy.

Maybe he is a little too goofy though? I mean in the sense that the Indiana Jones stories themselves are pretty goofy, and it is the contrast of that with Ford's ability to play it dead serious when he has to which makes it work.

btrboyev

Like I said earlier...he may be able to pull off some of the look, but the man does not have manly voice at all. I can't really see or hear it.

I love Chris Pratt but I don't think he has the gruff man quality of an Indiana Jones. More like "goofy boy"... I realize he has range but I feel like he doesn't even have the natural voice to pull it off. Then again I could be completely wrong and there would be far worse options.

I don't know how I feel about a total reboot. I'd be OK if they make another movie with him, but I need Ford in it and Pratt can't be Indy. If he were another archaeologist that takes up the mantle and maybe Ford passes the mantle as "Indy" then maybe that would work, but Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones.
That's nostaglia talking. Ford was perfect for Indiana but that was 34 years ago. He's old and just doesn't have that aura that made Indy so cool. Crystal Skull is proof of that

You want to see Indy like this again?
Indiana_1214139c.jpg

I'd much rather see a young guy like Pratt take the character back to its roots. Capture that vibe that the original movies had

That's not really the right thing, though. Which is borne out by the end of the movie. Nothing about Indiana Jones' character suggests he'd be fine with taking a bazooka to an artifact that important/valuable, either. That'd be absolutely the WRONG thing for Indiana Jones to do. Which is why he can't do it.

But this is a weird nitpick guaranteed to derail the thread down a rabbit hole of letters-to-the-editor Wizard Magazine theoryfighting, so let's not get into that if we don't have to.

I always hate when someone continues the argument but then says lets not continue the argument. If you weren't interested in derailing then why did you offer a rebuttal?

The reason it works out by the way was in the second part of my post you cut out. Literally God Almighty has to descend from Heaven to clean up Indy's mess.

The conflict he has on that cliff top is between saving the world from a terror the likes of which it has never known and his own selfish archaeological curiosity, which he ultimately surrenders to. I mean, that is literally what Belloq is saying during this scene. "we're not so different you and I Dr Jones" and Indy proves it by dropping that bazooka.

Indy pulls through though, because in the end of course he's different to Belloq. He has faith and humility and thus he is rewarded by God. Belloq in turn is undone by his own hubris, appearing before God in the dress and with the rituals of God's chosen people, as if God could be tricked by a bunch of Nazis.

God saves the world at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. That is literally what happens at the end of the movie. Then he gets locked up in a warehouse. I'll admit that last part is a little bit confusing theologically.

Contrast it to GotG where Starlord saves the world because he's SpaceJesus. It's not really the same at all. At least not from Indy's perspective. Maybe from the Ark's.

Now that I've had my say let's stop talking about this.

xandaca

Too young and his features are too soft. If Dennis Quaid weren't already 60, I'd be looking more to someone like him.

Kanyon

As much as I would hate the Indiana Jones movies to be rebooted/continued, I would definitely be okay with this... Chris Pratt is awesome in pretty much everything he's in, would definitely like to see where this goes.

Blader

The problem with doing a pass the torch movie with Ford and the new guy is that they wouldn't be able to call him Indiana Jones. I mean, it's not a code name, it's his real name!

squidyj

I don't see Pratt as Indiana Jones.

Pratt has played a lot of goofy roles, I mean he was the whiny kid all of Guardians of the Galaxy and that's fine for Peter Quill but it's not who Indiana is, Indiana's more condescending and surly, almost perennially dissatisfied with everything.

I look at pratts face and I don't see the guy who's too tired to get into a swordfight so he just blows a dude away.

Jarmel

Banned
Pratt isn't a bad pick but ugh unless they get a really good director, I can't see this turning out all that well.

Maybe too old now, but a younger Karl Urban could have worked.

4nyPMCU.jpg

KPs1aLT.jpg

He can pull off a serious or wild eyed look in a goofy character or situation.

temp

posting on contract only
Maybe too old now, but a younger Karl Urban could have worked.

4nyPMCU.jpg

KPs1aLT.jpg

He can pull off a serious or wild eyed look in a goofy character or situation.

To be fair you can't see his eyes in that Dredd picture. He might be making that face.

Fantomex

What will it take to make you people happy? lol. You built up the guy!!! He was bound to be a hot property. Idris Elba will be the next guy people hate for getting all the big blockbusters.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I don't like the idea. I don't give a shit if James Bond has been played by a dozen different actors, Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford and Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones. Just come up with a new franchise for crissakes.

Love Chris Pratt but I'm kinda iffy on this. Indiana has a sarcastic, dour sense of humor, Pratt tends to be much more goofy and upbeat. He's really going to have to tone it down several levels if he lands this role.

No. I like Pratt, but no.

Do nerds really need him toplining three franchises? I mean, seriously, he's super awesome I get it, but holy shit, this reminds me of how everything was TOM HARDY TOM HARDY TOM HARDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY during TDKR.

Honestly, I think he would have been a better fit for this than JW but it's a bit too late for that.

Flappy

Banned
It seems like an okay idea until you hear Pratt's voice in your head saying famous Indi lines....

"It belongs in a museum, bro"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom