• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island 2 Gamescom 2022 Trailer (EGS exclusive on PC)

Aure

Banned
Looks amazing and that gameplay seems pretty solid. The location is on point, finally out of the typical caribbean.
Sucks about EGC, i haven't had any problems with it but i prefer to have all the DI game in one place, either way i'm looking forward to it, it's been quite a while.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
This looks really good.

Hate the fact it is EGS exclusive. This wouldn't be such a terrible thing if the Epic Games Store was horribly designed with such limited information.

I'll wait for the Steam release in a year.

Gambit2483

2Qblor0.jpg

Dead Island 2: Judgement Day

JonSnowball

Yager - > Sumo Digital - > DamBuster
I believe that was the trail, correct? (Deep Silver was Dambuster; I don't remember another internal studio being involved?)

Trends kind of came around, Grimdark was right for Dying Light, but by the time of the sequel it was too serious (plus other problems.) Now feels like a good time for a game that's just pure nonsense.
Deep Silver is the publishers/sub-operating group of Embracer. So this is accurate. Dambuster under Deep Silver is developing it.

CamHostage

Deep Silver is the publishers/sub-operating group of Embracer. So this is accurate. Dambuster under Deep Silver is developing it.

Right, but just 3 studios, not 4, correct?

Techland left before they started DI2 (I don't know if Techland was ever interested in that kind of sequel, but Deep Silver got busy making a bunch of crappy spin-offs with various developers with or without them and also eventually commissioned this proper sequel,) so then Yager Development did the first version, and then Sumo Digital (who is also an Embracer studio, BTW, but only recently) tried to salvage Yager's version but that didn't work out, then finally it was given to Deep Silver Dambuster Studios and I don't know if they ever tried to salvage the salvage of Yager/Sumo but ultimately they restarted the project as it is now.

(It was always being published and produced by Deep Silver; they also did the first one and the spin-offs.)

Barakov

Looks pretty good, I guess? I liked the first Dead Island but it wasn't I got super hyped for. It was something I play when I had nothing else to play. This coming out in the middle of Feb 2023 seems like the perfect time for it.

Kupfer

This looks better than I expected. The zombies are more classic and grounded, no weird comic monsters. That's good for now.
The fact that the game is really nice and brutal and gory is also nice to see.
Unfortunately, it looks like the mutilation / dismemberment technique is scripted instead of real time calculated.

Here you can see 4 thrown razor blades hitting the zombie on the forehead, cutting off the head at the neck. This doesn't fit.

A hit to the side of the head from a very short distance from a shotgun "cuts" the head off at the neck. This does not fit.

A blow to the temple with brass knuckles immediately exposes the brain, the whole skull is cracked open, the shoulder and collarbone are exposed. This does not fit.

The transition from intact skull to lumpy slush is somewhat rough.

To emphasize something positive, after a blow the jaw breaks, bones look out, half the jaw bone hangs out of the face, one blow later the lost piece has fallen off. Details like this have a dynamic effect and feel right.

As another postitive example I would like to mention this punch that completely deforms the body, muscles and tendons seem to be torn and there is no body tension anymore. Nice, more of that!

I really hope that there will be some tweaks and we have more influence on the damage that can be inflicted, this has to be more realistic and not only after the scheme "568 damage to the head trigger the beheading". Gore was one of the game's unique selling points in the first game, which is why I enjoyed it so much. It was fun to mess around with the zombies. That was back on the PS3 and I hope that with the power of the current generation way more is possible. Not only visually, but deeper woven into the gameplay, physics-based stuff, broken bones, torn muscles and tendons, depending on the angle and force of impact, a differentiation between sharp and blunt objects and so on ...

I am curious! Looks in any case now already way better than the competition, I hope that the game will at least live up to what we've seen so far, better would be welcome.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Looks nice, but they need to show more, especially how big the map is going to be and what areas will be available for exploration.

Kupfer

Kupfer Kupfer if you want real time slicing you literally have only 2 games that does that, mgs rising and shadow warrior 2.
I want what Dead Island 1 promised back then, "real" damage, not scripts à la "do X damage on location Y to display texture Z".

Bodies consisting of individual layers that react accordingly to their environment.

It's not just about slicing, it's about the general feeling of depicting "real" zombies. Zombies don't care about pain, if you break their shin with a hammer they should try to take another step, the leg should kick over at the spot, the zombie falls down and crawls on.

An explosion should not directly tear or not tear zombies, it can also just hurt the zombie badly, depending on the previous injury status of the zombie, and e.g. tear off arms, without the zombie being directly *dead*.

Zombies have been walking around in their world for days / weeks, maybe they have been attacked, got stuck somewhere, fallen down ... they can also have the worst injuries from the start that limit them. I don't see that here either. You always start fights against zombies that are 100% ready for action, even if they are a little bloodied here and there.

I've been wishing for a zombie game for two decades, which depicts zombies to my liking and represents a zombie playground. Dead Island came the closest so far, at least at the beginning of the game, in the later course with the superzombies and bulletsponges it was already a completely different story. Dead Island 2 also looks promising, as I said, but there would be sooooo much more potential if they would go the extra step and implement things that the player might not even see or notice at first, but that would serve the game and the presentation, because it would be "the special extra", the unique selling point, a benchmark of zombie games.

GymWolf

I want what Dead Island 1 promised back then, "real" damage, not scripts à la "do X damage on location Y to display texture Z".

Bodies consisting of individual layers that react accordingly to their environment.

It's not just about slicing, it's about the general feeling of depicting "real" zombies. Zombies don't care about pain, if you break their shin with a hammer they should try to take another step, the leg should kick over at the spot, the zombie falls down and crawls on.

An explosion should not directly tear or not tear zombies, it can also just hurt the zombie badly, depending on the previous injury status of the zombie, and e.g. tear off arms, without the zombie being directly *dead*.

Zombies have been walking around in their world for days / weeks, maybe they have been attacked, got stuck somewhere, fallen down ... they can also have the worst injuries from the start that limit them. I don't see that here either. You always start fights against zombies that are 100% ready for action, even if they are a little bloodied here and there.

I've been wishing for a zombie game for two decades, which depicts zombies to my liking and represents a zombie playground. Dead Island came the closest so far, at least at the beginning of the game, in the later course with the superzombies and bulletsponges it was already a completely different story. Dead Island 2 also looks promising, as I said, but there would be sooooo much more potential if they would go the extra step and implement things that the player might not even see or notice at first, but that would serve the game and the presentation, because it would be "the special extra", the unique selling point, a benchmark of zombie games.
I know dude, but it must be pretty taxing to have real time detailed damage etc with the visual fidelity we have today, i'm an absolute sucker for realistic gore so i understand the feeling.

Keep a look to the creator of the Ill tech demo on yt, he is doing his own game and the guy seems like the best hope for some next gen gore.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I know dude, but it must be pretty taxing to have real time detailed damage etc with the visual fidelity we have today, i'm an absolute sucker for realistic gore so i understand the feeling.
I think that can no longer be an excuse, as I said, that what you see here, I already know from other games that came out 3 generations ago, now the game looks overall just better, but the mechanics are still "old". There simply has to be a new approach and some innovation brought in. If it is really so taxing, there must be cuts somewhere else. But honestly I just think that the effort would be very large to implement such a system and many developers shy away from this effort.

TLOU2 has reached a milestone in this respect, I have been able to discover new details in my 60 hours. After a fight lasting several minutes, I looked at the aftermath and every corpse, every wound looks realistic according to the forces acting on it. Of course, the skull that is deformed by a hammer has not been deformed in real time, but a huge effort has been made to deliver credible results down to the smallest detail.

Keep a look to the creator of the Ill tech demo on yt, he is doing his own game and the guy seems like the best hope for some next gen gore.
Yes I have that on the screen, but I am cautious about this game. It is much more difficult to develop a game than to create nice render sequences in an engine to an atmospheric and detailed "trailer".

Kupfer

gore analysis

Valentin was fast this time.
And first time I saw the uncensored version of the trailer. Popped out and dangling eyes are a nice touch.
But well... he tells me nothing new now and even goes a bit too postitv there.
Anyway, the gore system still looks like one of the better ones, even if it still doesn't live up to my wet dream of real-time damage.

Valentin was fast this time.
And first time I saw the uncensored version of the trailer. Popped out and dangling eyes are a nice touch.
But well... he tells me nothing new now and even goes a bit too postitv there.
Anyway, the gore system still looks like one of the better ones, even if it still doesn't live up to my wet dream of real-time damage.
Thanks for writing up your analysis, Kupfer. Like you seem to, I love Dying Light and liked Dead Island because of the seemingly system-driven gore. And Dying Light 2 was a HUGE step back. Glad to see there's a little more detail in this game, but its not near where it could be, which is disappointing.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Day fucking 1!!! I love zombie games. Q1 2023 looks stacked, Starfield, RE4 remake, Forza Motorsport and now this? I'm hyped.

Kupfer

Thanks for writing up your analysis, Kupfer. Like you seem to, I love Dying Light and liked Dead Island because of the seemingly system-driven gore. And Dying Light 2 was a HUGE step back. Glad to see there's a little more detail in this game, but its not near where it could be, which is disappointing.
The game didn't appeal to me at all after DL1. After everything I saw before the release, it looked like a downgrade through and through, kind of loveless and pretty shallow, with the focus on the wrong aspects of the game.

But the interview from Eurogamer reads quite well, maybe we will be surprised after all
We had a lot of fun hacking away at the undead and discovering different and bloody ways to inflict damage. Tell us more about the 'gore tech' you've implimented.

James Worral:
It's just fully anatomically correct models, we've basically done everything from hair, skin, fat, muscle, bones, and all the organs are stuffed in there. It's all procedural. Melting is our favourite. Sometimes when you hit two or three zombies with a serious caustic melting attack or something like that, they stagger towards you and you can see them falling to bits, and they don't quite make it because they've dissolved before they get to you. It's really rewarding.

It's all part and parcel of making sure that our monsters are monsters, but there's enough humanity left in there that when you see them staggering around after explosions or hopping along because I've only got one leg, you have that moment of humour. But, you know, morally there's still clearly monsters and humans against monsters. I guess that's another difference between us and other zombie games is you're never fighting other humans, it's not about the factions, it's not. I find with a lot of IPs and this is a clear decision we made about two and a half years back. We didn't want to go down the route of the zombie virus becoming like a wallpaper in the background that just becomes a backdrop for intra-human battles. We want it to be that classic 80s horror sci fi movie feel which is all about the monsters, and every story beat is about you finding out more about the monsters the virus, how it's affecting you and where all this might be leading.

David Stenson: We've been working on this stuff for years and years and years. We love those 80s horror films, pulp horror films - our aim was to make it absolutely the goriest game out there. But it ties into the gameplay, with dismemberment and melting and electric charging and burning the zombies and all, so it's not just there as sort of window dressing, it genuinely ties into the way that you play the game.

Last edited:

H4ze

Fuck yeah, day one! I loved the first game and the trailers really make me wanna play the second right now.

Too many people on this forum tend to bitch about everything... These are video games, it's totaly fine to play them for pure braindead fun sometimes, you know?

Danknugz

i got a zombie army and you can't harm me

who do you voodoo bitch

drink blood like a vampire without warning

who do you voodoo bitch

Danknugz

The game didn't appeal to me at all after DL1. After everything I saw before the release, it looked like a downgrade through and through, kind of loveless and pretty shallow, with the focus on the wrong aspects of the game.

But the interview from Eurogamer reads quite well, maybe we will be surprised after all
the quote didn't work but what the dev said about the gore system, this should be in every game. i think mortal kombat came close with the x rays and maybe even the old school kreate a fatality from mk armageddon, where you could make literally performance art out of a fatality by ripping out specific organs from the victim.

Shamefully, every time I try and bring up how awesome kreate a fatality was, I get ten people telling me how bad mk armageddon was and how kreate a fatality should never come back. Don't understand the beef with it maybe they just had it done to them too many times.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In this Dead Island 2 interview, we talk to the game's Creative Director and Art Director at Gamescom 2022 about Dead Island's procedural FLESH system, balancing comedy and horror, and why they want to make zombies monstrous again.

Winter John

My main memory of the original was opening luggage every 5 yards. I'm pretty sure people were actually calling it a luggage simulator

Top Bottom