• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: "People are gonna lose their f*****g minds!" About a New PlayStation Game He's Been Told About

MiguelItUp

The IP is phenomenal on the big screen mostly because of Hugh Jackman. Video game-wise, Wolverine has been utter shit with movie tine-in games that were utter ass.
Wasn't the Wolverine Origins game very well received? I still wanna play it one of these days.

I adored Wolverine as a kid, so a solid game could be really cool. But I'm by no means an Insomniac fanboy. Just hoping it does go with a mature approach.

MrSec84

I agree with Jaffe, if he was talking about Wolverine, I'm people, I'm among many others who went crazy for seeing that Insomniac Games are making a Wolverine game or maybe he was talking about Spider-Man 2, because that looked amazing.
Getting Venom voiced by the original actor who played Candyman is insane IMO, because that voice just sends chills down my spine and Venom should definitely be a freaky character.

Jaffe could have even been talking about God of War Ragnarok, it looks amazing, Freya gunning for Kratos and Atreus like that has such an awesome impact and the looming presence of Ragnarok happening within the Norse setting, I can't wait to play that on my PS5 next year.

Sony's 2022 line-up of PS5 releases is crazy, I'm stoked I've got my console to play these amazing games.
Hopefully I can afford a better TV by the time Horizon releases, because I want to see that game in the best possible fidelity I can.

O-N-E

Yep, I'm very happy.

image.png

Who'da thunk it.

Wolverine is one of the most ultra popular marvel heroes ever. Hell, he's much more interesting than Spider-Man has ever been as a character on the whole in my opinion. I won't just assume this will be spider-man just with a wolverine skin.

This game can truly turn out to be something special, and I'm really excited to see what Insomniac does with this game. What design direction they go in will be super interesting.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wolverine by Insomniac is a big fucking deal.

Maybe if you're a huge X-Men fan. For the rest of us, it's pretty meh. Spider-Man is different, everyone knows that character and thinks he's cool with the swinging and shit. Stuff that has fun gameplay written all over it even if you don't know that much about Spidey otherwise. Wolverine is just a dude with claws, really, and it's hard to imagine the gameplay being much more than a brawler. That's just not very exciting.

DarthPutin

Wolverine plus Insomniac is what's hype and will get people talking. Super popular character plus mark of quality by the studio. Jaffe said it will be combination of studio and IP I believe, or something along those lines.

I'm pretty cold about american comics, but then I'm a weirdo (and Venom is still pretty cool)), most normals will be hyped.

Spider-man two short trailer is already two mil.

Wasn't the Wolverine Origins game very well received? I still wanna play it one of these days.

I adored Wolverine as a kid, so a solid game could be really cool. But I'm by no means an Insomniac fanboy. Just hoping it does go with a mature approach.
yeh i picked it up on ebay a couple months ago. Its pretty decent. very violent

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like he called the Wolverine game a few days early. "Bub" is a Wolverine link.

And unless that tweet makes his ad click revenue go up so he profits off it, who cares.

A game employee beating his chests with cryptic messages to prove to world they are relevant is pretty stupid.

That would be like me knowing a basketball player is getting traded for real, I do a cryptic tweet, and then after the news is public I tell the world I was right the whole time, but couldnt tell you directly what it was.

Who cares.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And unless that tweet makes his ad click revenue go up so he profits off it, who cares.

A game employee beating his chests with cryptic messages to prove to world they are relevant is pretty stupid.

That would be like me knowing a basketball player is getting traded for real, I do a cryptic tweet, and then after the news is public I tell the world I was right the whole time, but couldnt tell you directly what it was.

Who cares.

Who hurt you? Dear God...

Life

It's probably just gonna have cartoon violence like Spidey. Meh. Should be something gorey and dark - not that lighthearted superhero shit.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

Wolverine Origins was good for a movie tie in game but very mediocre by any other standard. I played it for work back in the day it wasn't great.

But I wouldn't assume from past games that Insomniac can't do something great with the character. This is a top tier dev at the height of their powers and an iconic character. I think if they take a vaguely God of War approach to it, something story driven with brutal action, it could be really good.

Maybe if you're a huge X-Men fan. For the rest of us, it's pretty meh. Spider-Man is different, everyone knows that character and thinks he's cool with the swinging and shit. Stuff that has fun gameplay written all over it even if you don't know that much about Spidey otherwise. Wolverine is just a dude with claws, really, and it's hard to imagine the gameplay being much more than a brawler. That's just not very exciting.

He has an absolute legendary healing ability, he has an incredible sense of smell, things that certainly have gameplay potential. There are many directions they can take this game. Wolverine himself is also pretty damn agile. He has claws that can slice through almost anything. That's another cool element they can play on.

ParaSeoul

Wolverine game? I mean I like Wolverine but did anyone lose their minds over this? Feel like Jaffe is stuck in the 2000s. Insomniac will probably do a good job but one dev making all these games doesn't seem like the ideal situation.

aclar00

Spiderman and Wolverine are tied for my number 1 superheroes. Wish it was a 2022 release. I cant wait until 2024 or beyond

My imagination kind of sucks, so i keep picturing the Spider-Man game setting just replacing Spidey with Wolverine.... but then I also think 2018 God of War and replace Kratos with Wolverine and speeding it up 25% and maybing adding a jump mechanix.

I agree with Jaffe, if he was talking about Wolverine, I'm people, I'm among many others who went crazy for seeing that Insomniac Games are making a Wolverine game or maybe he was talking about Spider-Man 2, because that looked amazing.
Getting Venom voiced by the original actor who played Candyman is insane IMO, because that voice just sends chills down my spine and Venom should definitely be a freaky character.

Jaffe could have even been talking about God of War Ragnarok, it looks amazing, Freya gunning for Kratos and Atreus like that has such an awesome impact and the looming presence of Ragnarok happening within the Norse setting, I can't wait to play that on my PS5 next year.

Sony's 2022 line-up of PS5 releases is crazy, I'm stoked I've got my console to play these amazing games.
Hopefully I can afford a better TV by the time Horizon releases, because I want to see that game in the best possible fidelity I can.
Excuse me, I didn't see a 2022 release date in the trailer. Did I miss it?

vpance

My imagination kind of sucks, so i keep picturing the Spider-Man game setting just replacing Spidey with Wolverine....

That would be terrible, lol. It should be like Ninja Gaiden mixed in with survival elements. Maybe partly open world.

Claws is not even Wolverine's power. It just an implant
Regeneration is his power, the claws are part of his bone structure which he was given when experimented on. He also has strong senses, helping him sniff out his prey, which he learned himself overtime in the wild.
His claws were a result of the mutant gene. They were part of his skeletal structure before the adamantium infusion. So, technically, the claws are part of his superpowers along with super healing and heightened senses.

I’m very excited for this game, but far from blown away. Was hoping for Silent Hill.

bitbydeath

His claws were a result of the mutant gene. They were part of his skeletal structure before the adamantium infusion. So, technically, the claws are part of his superpowers along with super healing and heightened senses.

I’m very excited for this game, but far from blown away. Was hoping for Silent Hill.
Was not aware of that.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
WTF is people ranting about? It´s FUCKING Wolverine FFS.
Can someone order a basket full of all the worlds most luxurious edibles. Before anyone even have released any PS5 exclusives, they have brought Spidey PS4 remaster, Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank and now FRIGGIN Wolverine AND Spider-Man 2.
Insomniac is like standing on that hill and crying out «All your base are belong to us» Do they get any sleep over there???

Bashing Jaffe for being hyped about Wolverine just because it´s a good time off and being a CGI trailer? WOW.. You have no imagination do you…

Both Spiderman 2 and Wolverine looked like in-engine trailers.

McCheese

Wolverine was not in-game footage or running on PS5, was made specifically for the reveal. Spiderman 2 was in-engine.

I mean he wasn't lying. go on YouTube and you'll find a ton of reaction videos of people absolutely going nuts when watching it live. literally people jumping out of their seats. what he said doesn't apply to us as gaffers. or atleast some, not the majority and then YouTube content creators.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Feel like Jaffe is stuck in the 2000s.
What millennia do YOU live in?

Also, Wolverine remains one of the most popular superheroes in the world. Once he joins the MCU in the next year, he'll be bigger than IRON MAN.
Insomniac is one of the- if not THE- very best game devs on the planet.
They also have the Spidey license. And Marvel loves them.
There's an argument to be made that they could be semi/sorta building a game version lite of the MCU (aka Spidey appears in Wolverine's game, vice versa, sharing locations and perhaps even story points).

If that doesn't excite you, that's more of a you problem, sir :).

Top Bottom