• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe: "People are gonna lose their f*****g minds!" About a New PlayStation Game He's Been Told About

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
So Jaffe is either full of shit or he's completely out of touch with what people would be losing their minds over. My mind is disappointingly intact.
AGreed, I saw some games to be pumped for but nothing really "shit your pants" level.

NickFire

Kind of surprised at the backlash. Is Wolverine not cool anymore? Insomniac is about as good as you could hope for the IP.
People are lashing out at the pain of it being exclusive. Wolverine will always be cool. And when the Xmen start showing up in MCU and this game is out, that’s when the real rage will start.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Kind of surprised at the backlash. Is Wolverine not cool anymore? Insomniac is about as good as you could hope for the IP.

Wolverine? Pff
Wolverine is an overused character and it's "awesomeness" in conjuction with his attitude is tiring. I totally trust Insommiac can bring something good out of it, but for me the problem is the character itself.

You know what would be freaking awesome? X-men game, with all X-men characters. Wolverine stands out when he is a part of X-men, whether he is fighting alongside a team or just having disagreement with them. Not when he is vangloried and badass as shit.

RaySoft

WTF is people ranting about? It´s FUCKING Wolverine FFS.
Can someone order a basket full of all the worlds most luxurious edibles and deliver them to Insomniac asap. Before anyone even have released any PS5 exclusives, they have brought Spidey PS4 remaster, Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank and now FRIGGIN Wolverine AND Spider-Man 2.
Insomniac is like standing on that hill and crying out «All your base are belong to us» Do they get any sleep over there???

Bashing Jaffe for being hyped about Wolverine just because it´s a good time off and being a CGI trailer? WOW.. You have no imagination do you…

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
WTF is people ranting about? It´s FUCKING Wolverine FFS.
Can someone order a basket full of all the worlds most luxurious edibales. Before anyone even have released any PS5 exclusives, they have brought Spidey PS4 remaster, Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank and now FRIGGIN Wolverine AND Spider-Man 2.
Insomniac is like standing on that hill and crying out «All your base are belong to us» Do they get any sleep over there???

Bashing Jaffe for being hyped about Wolverine just because it´s a good time off and being a CGI trailer. WOW.. You have no imagination?
Superheroes are overused and I love wolverine.
They nerfed ratchet and filed all the edge it had. I am not confident they can make a brutal game.
Even if it's great... it's still a super hero game... I wish we got something original

bender

What time is it?
Wolverine? Pff
Wolverine is an overused character and it's "awesomeness" in conjuction with his attitude is tiring. I totally trust Insommiac can bring something good out of it, but for me the problem is the character itself.

You know what would be freaking awesome? X-men game, with all X-men characters. Wolverine stands out when he is a part of X-men, whether he is fighting alongside a team or just having disagreement with them. Not when he is vangloried and badass as shit.

I've never been a comic book person so that's an interesting perspective. I'm hoping for something over the top and fun like Hulk Ultimate Destruction.

Great Hair

Banned
I'm guessing it was Wolverine.
John Candy Reaction GIF
Well Done Yes GIF by Practice English with yadada

Hawk269

I think it would of been different if the game was shown and let's say was a year or so away....a short cgi trailer and a name is not going to do it for most people. We have no idea what type of game it is going to be. I am sure in the future when they show some gameplay it will get people excited.

For me NOTHING they showed really blew me away....it did solidify that the PS5 will have some good/great games in the future and in many cases, the far, far future.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's a tired shtick whether Jaffe had inside info on a cool game or not.

It doesn't serve any purpose but his own to do these "i can't tell you what it is but get hyped!" things.. it's just click bait.. "look at me" and "looking at him" is how he makes money these days.

It doesn't anger me or anything it's just corny.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It's a tired shtick whether Jaffe had inside info on a cool game or not.

It doesn't serve any purpose but his own to do these "i can't tell you what it is but get hyped!" things.. it's just click bait.. "look at me" and "looking at him" is how he makes money these days.

It doesn't anger me or anything it's just corny.
He has tweeted before with hints. He did an e3 one where every third word was the real message. Bub was the clue for tonight

bender

What time is it?
I think it would of been different if the game was shown and let's say was a year or so away....a short cgi trailer and a name is not going to do it for most people. We have no idea what type of game it is going to be. I am sure in the future when they show some gameplay it will get people excited.

For me NOTHING they showed really blew me away....it did solidify that the PS5 will have some good/great games in the future and in many cases, the far, far future.

The CGI thing is fair.

I know I gave the conference an F because of no HSG, but I think the showing was fine. Ghostwire looks really cool and if that GT date holds, that's about as good as I can expect. And that's coming from someone who is completely over most of Sony's blockbuster IPs. KOTOR was a nice surprise.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People lost their minds because the game wasn't there. Go home Laffy Jaffe, you're... you.
Video game social media guide to getting clicks

Tactic 1: Claim OMG, I heard an awesome rumour, but cant tell you what it is yet!

Tactic 2: Claim OMG, there's an awesome game you'll never believe at the next show!

Replying to users about your claims

Tactic 1: If you never stated the game name, wait for footage and news to be shown and then take credit that was the game!

Tactic 2: If you stated the game name and it didn't show, claim it was pulled at the last minute!

Tactic 3: If you stated the game name and it showed, claim it as insider credibility even though it was the first time in 15 tries you were right!

DeepSpace5D

If it was Wolverine I don’t see why Jaffe should take heat. If he cryptically capitalized BUB in his tweet, then kudos Jaffe! I’m not a huge comic fan but I’m sure there are quite a few who were very excited with this announcement.

IntentionalPun

He has tweeted before with hints. He did an e3 one where every third word was the real message. Bub was the clue for tonight
Well the point of that post was you don't have to doubt Jaffe knows things in order to think this is all lame.

The man created God of War among other things... he likely knows things, particularly inside the PlayStation sphere.

He pats himself on the back like he'd never actually ruin a team's reveal, while doing this click bait hype "I know things" streams/podcasts.

It's... CORNYYYY

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

As far as Wolverine goes.. It doesn't excite me more than any other random game. I enjoyed Spiderman, but honestly the story aspect of it was the worst part. The fun I had was with clearing the rooftop bases, pretty much everything else was rather ho hum for me, and the lame unskipable sequences grated on me...

Wolverine I like as a character a bit more, not a comic book guy.. but he's way less corny than Spider "man" who acts like a child.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

Why would anyone get excited about NOT IN GAME FOOTAGE from a game with NO DATE.
Maybe because there are fans of Wolverine and the announcement that Insomniac is developing gives the prospects of it turning out good a high likelihood? First announcement of a game doesn’t necessarily have to have gameplay footage or a release date does it? It doesn’t look like it’s coming out anytime soon.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Why would anyone get excited about NOT IN GAME FOOTAGE from a game with NO DATE.
CGI announcement trailers do tend to be lame.

In this case people are excited because of the combination of the property and the people making it. Insomniac makes good stuff. People like Wolverine. It's obvious why people would get excited for that. It's not quite the same as a CGI trailer from a new studio on a new property where we have no idea what to expect.

Still would have been better if they had something playable to show but ... that's your answer.

Shaukdotdj

Personally, for me it was KOTOR. Im sure Wolverine will be a fun romp but insomniac has too many plates to keep spinning right now for that to ever see the light of day before 2024(or even 2025)

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I don't find that character very interesting, no. And I'm picturing some slow brawler type game, which is just not up my alley. That's what he does right, fight people with his claws? I like the acrobatic combat in Spider-Man, but more than that I like the traversal, and I just don't see how a Wolverine game could be as much fun.

Maybe the game won't actually be like that, but they didn't show it, so there's nothing to be excited about.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Because super heroes whoaaaa same stuff again and again. Give it's what we know.
Where is the new original stuff... And I like wolverine

AJUMP23

Gold Member
If it Wolverine, then that is a good property but not mind blowing. Just oversold like Jaffe does. But that is his nature selling the game.

I feel like Wolverine will be even more of a reskin of the Rocksteady Batman games than Spider-Man was - at least Spidey had the webslinging and wisecracking to set it apart.

Unless they go in a completely different direction with it to Spider-Man what's going to make it different? Wolverine doesn't even have Batman's gadgets... I know we have to wait and see, but for Marvel IP suited to Insomniac, I'm not sold. Usually I'm a sucker for a CGI reveal, but this is definitely one I need to know more about.

Most exciting thing was... KOTOR I guess? GT7 looked good, but I'm not a sim racer. Slim pickings today, but unlike for many, not all that surprising to me. Sony's good stuff is still a way off.

Fake

For me is just a shame Insomniac are reducted to just make Marvel games. I really wish a new IP from their hands. From everyone actually.

They are just sitting into the safety IP zone.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I think Insomniac is a solid and interesting dev.. make polished games, but they aren't all amazing.. and to me that includes Spiderman. Ratchet and Clank do very little for me.. they've clearly got some graphical prowess chops though and have since Resistance, but polished graphics aren't what makes games fun to me.

Maybe I'm the odd man out.

*Waits for metacritic scores*

Top Bottom