• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

LivingD3AD

IGN - 4 out of 10, PS4 and Xbone versions
Please don't play Cyberpunk 2077 on a base Xbox One or PS4. It is a shockingly bad way to experience what is a fantastic RPG on better hardware.

what about hello game reputation. was it fucked when no man sky launched? how about now?

can you sit on every chair in animal crossing? how is the police ai do they just spawn behind you? how about the random npcs do they have a work life cycle can i follow one for hours and have meaningful conversations about their life that go on for hours? is the shooting better than cod? can i gamble? have sex? what about the driving is it better than forza? what about the driving ai? are my choices and the rpg system deeper than a pen and paper rpg? do they have a voice actor for every gender and race to choose?
i'm sorry but these are the things that make a good game. i don't care about anything else

giphy.webp

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I just finished it, not sure if I am doing another playthrough right now, when it's really like, not that varied. Damn that was SHORT... I mean with Witcher you would be like at half or maybe in 1/3....

Also lot of garbage fetch quest. Game was good but I honestly expected something really different, not sure if I did not even liked Deus Ex: Mankind Divided more 🤔 Because it's what this game is, it's not open world like GTA, but more day Deus Ex, almost like an immersive sim, but far more janky than other games in this genre.

I even feel, like I barely scratched the surface of what the city and outback has to offer. Hell Doom Eternal took me longer. I don't mind shorter game,s but fuck me this was touted s this second coming RPG.

Last edited:
The technical issues in this game is very ...... shocking like they didn't even bother to optimize for the base consoles at all despite being the largest platform where the users purchasing the game.

base

Banned
The technical issues in this game is very ...... shocking like they didn't even bother to optimize for the base consoles at all despite being the largest platform where the users purchasing the game.
And that would be pretty stupid since the ps4 and xbox one got millions of users.

JayK47

So far I am enjoying it. No major bugs. Hard to put down even. Wish I had more time to play it. Too bad the console versions are not better. Figured using their engine, they would have done better with the older known hardware.

ethomaz

Banned
Dropped again on OC.

It will probably end on low 80 or even high 70 there... there is a lot of reviews to come yet.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Dropped again on OC.

It will probably end on low 80 or even high 70 there... there is a lot of reviews to come yet.

Good. They need to get got for their shit.

Also, even if it would run perfectly, without bugs, it still is not worthy of all the hype. Just a prettier, bigger Deus Ex, not the revolution everyone hyped it up to be. Open World is just window dressing with barely any interactions. Busted AI and more.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The ways these reviews are coming, this game got to be the biggest spread between review scores for PC/next gen, vs. sites doing separate last gen reviews.

I think PC is around 90, and the handful of last gen reviews aggregating around 50 I think.

ethomaz

Banned

Cyberpunk may drop to 88
Usually big AAA games have 100+ reviews (over 120 in some cases) so I believe there is over 40 reviews to be posted yet with some that hold more weigh like Edge.

Let's see how it turn out... I don't think it will reach 90 again.

Open Critic will suffer more... probably below 80... it is already in 84 and dropping like a rocket without gas.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Usually big AAA games have 100+ reviews (over 120 in some cases) so I believe there is over 40 reviews to be posted yet with some that hold more weigh like Edge.

Let's see how it turn out... I don't think it will reach 90 again.

Open Critic will suffer more... probably below 80... it is already in 84 and dropping like a rocket without gas.
That Edge score is gonna be brutal. I don't expect anything higher than an 8/10 from edge

Dampf

The last gen console versions kill CDPRs entire reputation. What were they thinking releasing for current Gen in the first place? This should be a next gen only game.

I seriously hope Rockstar won't make the same mistake with GTA 6.

cebri.one

The fextralife review should be of particular interest to fans of the RPG genre:

Yeah, good rpg lite on rails, horrible open world RPG. Specially when the expectations were so high, one can only wonder if the playerbase will stick around long enough for CD to support the game and add proper depth to the game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
bugs are just bugs... I have almost none aside from occasional jerky npc animations.
What is bad is police spawning out of nowhere and performance when driving.

THEAP99

Banned
Great read:

CD Projekt Red had nearly a decade to architect the great Cyberpunk 2077 mythos. Game reviewers had just a couple of days to assess it, and were hamstrung in how they could portray it. Gamers who had dropped $60 on this cyberpunk pleasure palace back in 2019 reeled; all the hot air came whizzing out. One professional reviewer, Kallie Plagge, gave Cyberpunk 2077 a 7/10 on GameSpot—not even a pan—criticizing it for one-dimensional world building, disconnected side quests, and large-scale technical issues. Mass harassment attended the review. Reactionary YouTubers, who did not have access to the game, dedicated long videos to dismantling her critique, dissecting her playtime and playstyle. But just days later, once gamers had finally played Cyberpunk 2077 themselves, many did a 180. “Everyone talked shit about her, but I’m starting to agree with Kelly [sp] Plagge,” read one popular post on /r/cyberpunkgame.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
I tell ya about 6 months ago no-one would have believed you if you said one of the most hyped games of all time would not break 90 on MC...

I had an inkling something might be up that it was being hyped way too far but I thought it'd do better than that.
It's crazy but it's truth. At the end of the day, GameSpot reporter Kelly Plagge
&
@MichaelDoesLife
will both two forever be considered martyrs in the gaming industry for their bravery towards honestly criticizing #Cyberpunk2077
prior to launch despite harassment from CD RED zealots.

EpUJr4LXMAIj9Xr

Beelzebubs

I'm looking at the Metacritic review for the XBox One versions and the Daily Star with it's 4/5 and XBox Achievements with it's 85 aren't even reviewing the base model version of the game. In fact the XBox Achievements review specifically mentions you should not play it on a base model.

Why the fuck are these scores included in the metacritic?

ethomaz

Banned
I tell ya about 6 months ago no-one would have believed you if you said one of the most hyped games of all time would not break 90 on MC...

I had an inkling something might be up that it was being hyped way too far but I thought it'd do better than that.
To be fair it is a solid 90 title... it is just too bugged to deserve it and I think the early reviewers should take some time to think about that.

The reviewers should call out that shit to not happens anymore.

Last edited:
It's crazy but it's truth. At the end of the day, GameSpot reporter Kelly Plagge
&
@MichaelDoesLife
will both two forever be considered martyrs in the gaming industry for their bravery towards honestly criticizing #Cyberpunk2077
prior to launch despite harassment from CD RED zealots.

EpUJr4LXMAIj9Xr

What a silly take yours is.
Just your luck I actually read the Gamespot review.

Absolutely, Gamespot have the right to criticize Cyberpunk 2077. Just like anyone has the right to criticize Gamespot for their review - an ostensibly ideologically-driven review - which in the written summary managed to place bugs as the last Con. Before that The Gamespot writer went on an excursion about Trans -representation and cultural representation so that everyone knows where the priorities of this journalist lie.

Activism and journalism are incompatible, even if you wear a cape.

If criticizing the journalist's review is "harassment" and those carrying the "harassment" are CDPR zealots, are people allegedly saying unpleasant things to CDPR developers on Twitter, are these people Gamespot-zealots as well?

Ah!
That's what I thought!

Last edited:
I'm looking at the Metacritic review for the XBox One versions and the Daily Star with it's 4/5 and XBox Achievements with it's 85 aren't even reviewing the base model version of the game. In fact the XBox Achievements review specifically mentions you should not play it on a base model.

If true Metacritic has fucked up hard there, or the reviewers have. Daily Star is an absolute joke of a British tabloid with 99% clickbait and dumb trash in it. It's beyond belief MC are allowing sn outfit like that to have bearing on any score.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Because there's so many Xbox and PS versions now, they are allowed to play on BC on XSX and it's still in the ecosystem?

Is there a rule that they "must play on all versions of the hardware for score to be valid"?

Beelzebubs

Because there's so many Xbox and PS versions now, they are allowed to play on BC on XSX and it's still in the ecosystem?

Is there a rule that they "must play on all versions of the hardware for score to be valid"?

I'm talking specifically about the metacritic of the XBox One version which is what I linked..... One of the reviews there has this quote in it even though it's a multiplatform review.

How the hell does it score and count as an 85 for the XBox One when this is at the very start of the review...

ahoPfYb.jpg

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned

prior to launch despite harassment from CD RED

Did you even read her review?

You might think the score is fair now after the console version is out BUT her reasoning had nothing to do with the gameplay or the bugs. It was all trans, racism and political shit.

That's her shtick and she's been going at it for years. Fire her.

Last edited:

Dane

Did you even read her review?

You might think the score is fair now after the console version is out BUT her reasoning had nothing to do with the gameplay or the bugs. It was all trans, racism and political shit.

That's her shtick and she's been going at it for years. Fire her.

Scoring right for the wrong reasons

Hugare

That Edge score is gonna be brutal. I don't expect anything higher than an 8/10 from edge
Edge is going to give a 5 or 6

They are very gameplay focused. The game's presentation and writting, arguibly its most relevant aspects, will only impress them so far.

And that being the PC version, mind you

Gold help CDPR if they decide to review the consoles versions

JonkyDonk

The developers care a lot about it too
They only care because the public care about it and it affects sales. Bad metacritic scores or even just a bad IGN score can kill a game, especially for traditional AAA games. It's the reason why most of the big games these days pander to reviewers; their tastes, their politics and their playstyles.

Top Bottom