• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Doesn't Regret Making Cyberpunk 2077 First-Person, but Has Yet to Decide on Cyberpunk Orion

Draugoth

Gold Member
FePA_71WAAEOz4U

CD Projekt Red doesn't regret making Cyberpunk 2077 a first-person only game, compared to the third-person Witcher franchise, but the developer is yet to make up its mind around Cyberpunk 2, codenamed Orion.

There are no regrets on our part. What we wanted was for Cyberpunk to have its own identity and to be noticeable as this different thing. These days it's YouTube, Twitch, and screenshots that sell games, and this is the way one can use to show that identity and individuality to players.

Sasko continued:

I wanted to say that the first-person perspective is the main characteristics for Cyberpunk and its perception by the players too. It's also noticeably different from The Witcher, and this helped us craft the product identity as such.

The quest director didn't give too much away surrounding Orion, but did suggest CD Projekt Red is yet to make its mind up on this front. After explaining why the team only included a first-person mode in Cyberpunk 2077, Sasko added: "But for Orion we're yet to see."

The sequel is still years away, of course, as CD Projekt Red is currently focusing on the next Witcher game, Polaris, which will be released in 2025 at the earliest. Orion will be developed at the company's new North American studios, which are still in the process of being built.

HL3.exe

First person was absolutely the right choice. More Deus Ex style first person action adventure games plz, thanks.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The combat is definitely more visceral in first person especially the amazing reload animations.

However, third person could be used for walking around the city as a toggle or if you do melee combat like in Destiny perhaps.

I’ll say while starfield fumbled a lot the third person shooting there felt aces. Something like that could work.

I don’t think the sequel needs to be both or third, but just more options to see my character like in cut scenes would be nice similar to mass effect conversations perhaps.

Perrott

Gold Member
If it's possible just include a toggle, best of both worlds and will only further compliment Night City.
I don't think that'd be feasible both from a technical and design standpoint.

First, you'd have to spend a lot of time and resources in animations made especifically for each mode and then it comes designing each combat encounter so that it doesn't suck in third-person (since it is highly unlikely that the game would feature cover-based gameplay across the two modes) meaning that a lot of the intimacy inherent to urban FPS combat would be lost. Also, what about the first-person cutscenes & conversations of the first game?

I just feel that there are too many red flags and very little to gain from offering both alternatives. I know that both GTA and Red Dead do it, but they don't feel super great to play in first-person tbh, and that's Rockstar and their infinite development budgets that we're talking about.

proandrad

Making cyberpunk 3rd person would make it a completely different game. Anyone who wants a 3rd person sequel doesn’t want a sequel to Cyberpunk 2077, they just want a 3rd person game in the Cyberpunk universe. That’s not necessarily a bad idea but understand you just want a different game.

Kacho

I don’t care what they choose. I just want more choice and consequence. Not three options that funnel you to the same thing.

Flutta

Banned
Good, only idiots cry for third person.
Eh calling people idiots for wanting 3rd person is a bit too much? Both have their pros and cons.

Example, customization goes out the window when only having a first person view.

Make it so people can toggle between both like in Starfield.

Last edited:

TheMan

Third person games are superior.

Also.. What the fuck is the point of customizing my character if I’m playing in first person

Exactly. At least in COD you can show off to people you’re playing with. In this SP game it serves no purpose at all

bosnianpie

Just having finished Witcher I was sceptical when they announced CP77 would be first person, but in hindsight it was absoultely the right choice. It gave the game additional immersion that I don't think would have been possible without it. I also think it benefits the gameplay.

I know that both GTA and Red Dead do it, but Rockstar games in general don't feel super great to play in first-person at all tbh, and that's Rockstar and their infinite development budgets that we're talking about.
Fixed.

Using Rockstar as a barometer for anything gameplay related(especially tight and responsive controls) is the wrong barometer to use.

Lets not forget what aterrible state CP2077 came out in and they sold that shit for full price and lied about everything. HOWEVER, they actually fixed it and more....3 years later but still...game is actually good so Im pretty sure they are more capable not to fuck up a sequel one day. I just hope they dont get cocky and think their engine is actually OK now that its all fixed and stay on it. Just like Bethesda's, its old shit and just go to U5 and stop this jankiness.

ungalo

First person is fundamental in the first game. It's primarily a narrative game and everything in its staging and scenography revolves around the first person. Gives the game its uniqueness.

Would be a huge bummer if they dump the whole thing, it wouldn't make any sense to me.

Hugare

They either design the game around 1st person or 3rd. Both just doesnt work. And I would choose 1st person for Cyberpunk everyday.

They would have to make unique animations for the playable character for every cutscene, design a combat system that works with 1st/3rd person view and etc. What open world games did that? GTA V and RDR 2.

And how was it? Fucking shit implementation of 1st person view. I bet that not even 1% of the people played the game like that. Total waste of resources.

First person is a must in Cyberpunk, to sell the sense of scale. Walking around and looking up, seeing those huge buildings around you is part of the game's identity.

Flabagast

They either design the game around 1st person or 3rd. Both just doesnt work. And I would choose 1st person for Cyberpunk everyday.

They would have to make unique animations for the playable character for every cutscene, design a combat system that works with 1st/3rd person view and etc. What open world games did that? GTA V and RDR 2.

And how was it? Fucking shit implementation of 1st person view. I bet that not even 1% of the people played the game like that. Total waste of resources.

First person is a must in Cyberpunk, to sell the sense of scale. Walking around and looking up, seeing those huge buildings around you is part of the game's identity.
Actually even in GTAV and RDR2 cutscenes and narrative moments are third person only (and those are the biggest budget ever in games)

It's impossible to do both at the same time with the same level of consistency;

kunonabi

I've found the first person view completely pointless for cyberpunk so far. They haven't tried leveraging it in a compelling way for gameplay or atmosphere. Maybe the dlc area does more with it.

GudOlRub

Neo Member
What is the point of all those customisations for your character, if you can't see your character! Let us have the option for Christs sake.
Immersion, even if I don't see my character I still love to dress up according to what I'm doing, you can also see your character in photo mode, and hopefully in the next entry ray traced reflections will also work for our character.
I truly hope they don't go with a half-assed Bethesda style mix of FP and TP, CP2077 has probably the most immersive dialogue scenes I've ever seen in a game, relic attacks and conversations with Johnny for example wouldn't have had nearly the same impact if they were TW3 style third person cutscenes imo and fine-tuning dialogue to work with both CP2077 and TW3 style scenes sounds like way more work than it's worth.

I use a mod in starfield that switches to first person view when you aim down sights. Best of both worlds.

I want to see my character in cyberpunk and want cyberware to change his appearance.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
ehh idk CybeyPunk is one of the very few FP games that I really like. I think it adds to the immersion of the game. If it was a 3rd person hack n slash it would feel the same.

Flabagast

FYI early prototypes of Cyberpunk were in third person, here is some early footage from the massive 2021 CDPR leak

I absolutely love what they did with FP in the final product though, I hope the sequel will be in first person as well.

Tams

Have both.

Design most of the cutscenes to be first person, but for stuff where things happen to you as player have them designed to be viewed in third person (they never look good). Switch them automatically, but allow players to switch at will.

kiphalfton

I thought people said witcher 3 had floaty animations. So why would anybody want this. So they can play a ice skating sim?

brenobnfm

Everybody complains about witcher 3 movement. That's what I'm talking about, but you're clearly not.

Nah not everybody, vocal minority, taking stats from your ass i see. Most sane and reasonable people understand that a RPG as big as The Witcher 3 will not control like Devil May Cry V.

Top Bottom