• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty | Review Thread

Buggy Loop

It’s absolutely hilarious to me that the other forum isn’t even ALLOWED to talk about what will likely end up my two favourite games of 2023: Hogwarts Legacy and Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty. They are truly morons.

They/their/zeir probably was given a "gift" of the DLC to play it, but to support that they/their/zeir doesn't buy the game to support TERF DEVSSs REEEEEEEEEEeeeee

nowhat

I'm sliiiightly concerned that there doesn't seem to be any console footage out there... Oh well, I guess I'll take 2.0 for a spin and see how it runs first, need a PS5 save for this expansion anyway. Last I played Cyberpunk was during the launch month, on a Pro, wasn't a huge fan. While there were technical issues (oh lordy were there) and the game could crash frequently, those really weren't my main complaints. Patch notes for 2.0 (and for previous major patches too) at least on paper seem to address many issues I had with the game, so who knows, maybe I'll really get into it this time. Downloading right now.

Topher

Gold Member
Would you mind summarizing their general thoughts?

I wouldn't do either of them justice, but I will say they are very positive about both the update and the expansion. MattyP is really excited about the cyberware changes and the skill perks. Karak talks a bit about the verticality and extreme movement. Those points stood out, but seriously these guys really go into some detail with likes/dislikes and there is way too much to unpack in a forum post. Highly recommend giving them both a watch.

Last edited:
I have ps5 and series X but I’m so glad I built a gaming PC with a 4090. I can’t wait to play this and Alan Wake 2 on it. Excited to see the positive reviews.

EDMIX

Reviews from our own Karak Karak and Mattyp Mattyp

I like the honesty.

The world size being smaller and more to do is how i hope the next game goes about creating that world. I don't give a shit how big it is, function. All I ask is for some things to actually do in this world and its size will be irrelevant to me.

I also like that they make a point to state that if you don't like the lack of RPG type things in the original, that the expansion doesn't change that too much, but the interaction with cops with the new AI is a sign of what might come with a sequel. Only time will tell if they'll continue the Far Cry route or if they'll make it much more an actual RPG. (CDPR needs to take like 1000x notes from Larian Studios)

As its shaping up, I'll pick it up next year when I have the time, but I've decided to not replay the first game. I'll just play the expansion and move on.

Its crazy to think, that a sequel to Cyberpunk merely having the features promised in the very first game is even a hopeful thing lol or even copying Watchdogs features as some saving grace lol

Let that be a lesson to the publisher about rushing games out.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I like the honesty.

The world size being smaller and more to do is how i hope the next game goes about creating that world. I don't give a shit how big it is, function. All I ask is for some things to actually do in this world and its size will be irrelevant to me.

I also like that they make a point to state that if you don't like the lack of RPG type things in the original, that the expansion doesn't change that too much, but the interaction with cops with the new AI is a sign of what might come with a sequel. Only time will tell if they'll continue the Far Cry route or if they'll make it much more an actual RPG. (CDPR needs to take like 1000x notes from Larian Studios)

As its shaping up, I'll pick it up next year when I have the time, but I've decided to not replay the first game. I'll just play the expansion and move on.

Its crazy to think, that a sequel to Cyberpunk merely having the features promised in the very first game is even a hopeful thing lol or even copying Watchdogs features as some saving grace lol

Let that be a lesson to the publisher about rushing games out.

Yeah....these guys keep it real. Appreciate what they do. For me, I stopped playing Cyberpunk 2077 after 20 or so hours the first go and feeling massively disappointed. So I'm going to start over from scratch tomorrow and try to have a completely open mind. As a long time CDPR fan, I really hope they got it right this time. Thankfully all indications from reviews seem to say they have. But going to be my own judge.

EDMIX

Yeah....these guys keep it real. Appreciate what they do. For me, I stopped playing Cyberpunk 2077 after 20 or so hours the first go and feeling massively disappointed. So I'm going to start over from scratch tomorrow and try to have a completely open mind. As a long time CDPR fan, I really hope they got it right this time. Thankfully all indications from reviews seem to say they have. But going to be my own judge.

Truth.

I hope the give that team time, increase its size and move on with Unreal Engine 5.

I care more if they are able to craft a world with many features and options, then merely a bigger world.

I want factions where joining them actually does something.
The ability to buy property in all the areas.
Working train station lol
Many choices that alter the world ala Fallout / BG3 etc.

Considering all the titles that have been able to achieve all of that, I don't think the idea of what they are trying is impossible, merely that they are under a publisher that seems to think shortcuts can help their reputation.
Maybe Rockstar is really on to something, maybe it really does take a large team and a deep amount of time to create these types of concepts as the amount of time they spent on RDR2 and they are spending on GTA VI, doesn't seem all that crazy considering all the train wrecks we've seen of titles chasing those concepts by rushing games.

So if Cyberpunk 2078, Cyberpunk 2, (what ever they wish to call it lol) really takes some years and comes out 2032 on PS6 and XeXBox180over360Days...then so be it.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
If I shilled Cp2077 for years I'd be pissed right now, CDPR is just outright saying "yea this is the game you should play lmao, we redid everything"

But, ultimately, on some level, water under the bridge, the game is done. I bought the game for like $15 from eBay so I spend $30 more to get it finished and it's still less than a new game. I don't trust the reviews though, because like I said they sold out in 2020 to fuel the hype machine.
Or they just fucked up, people fuck up. Also they paid for it too every moron with a keyboard said something about them, their never recovered to its pre-Cyberpunk days, I feel like you prople should move on.

I played Cyberpunk after the first big patch, and I found it to be an enjoyable "GTA tier" experience. Liked the world, story was interesting enough, good characters.

Complete opposite experience recently with Starfield, which has failed to engross me into the world or characters and seems like a massive step down for such a game.

Interested to actually try out the DLC for this eventually, seems like it's good. The game got a lot of hate early on, and rightfully so, but the patched version is quite good even if still not perfect in many ways

Woggleman

I still don't know what issue the other forum has with Cyberpunk. Judy is one of the best LGBT characters in a game do what is their problem?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What you mean is "gun feel". "Mechanics" is a different thing entirely.
I've meant FPS mechanics as awhole during combat, be it guns, swords, blades and even wire. The animations of some guns are cool, but they feel like toys when you're using them. When you use guns for example, after pulling a trigger and everything after that, you feel nothing, enemies just turning off after HP bar reaches zero and fall to the ground. As I've said before, they don't react to your shots and depending on condition and situation like in Far Cry 6 or Rage 2 (for example). Enemies in CP just eating ammo and overall gunplay and shooting is lifeless and dead (aside from some cool gun animations). What's even more stupid is that you can just throw a bunch of grenades (of which you have thousands) and kill huge number of enemies much faster than if you'd tried to kill them using guns which don't even feel great to use. You feel nothing from headshots as well, there's no satisfying sounds, impacts, animations and just about anything else you can see in Rage 2, Far Cry 6 or even Destiny 2. Gunplay was never a good aspect of gameplay in CP, not at launch and not even now in v1.63. We'll see if they've changed something in 2.0.

As for swords, blades, melee weapons etc.. Mantis blades look ridiculous and stupid in 1st person and I just don't like how they work and function. Swords are a bit better, but there's not a lot you can do with them, there's no dismemberment like in MGR, where you can slice the hand off and prevent enemies from using guns etc. It gets old very quickly which is why I stopped using swords and pretty much every other melee weapons. There's so much they could've done with melee weapons and they just didn't at the start and up until this point in time. And wire.... what a huge disappointment. They don't let you use it in stealth and what they're allowing you to do with it in combat is shit, in comparison to what you can see in anime.
You mentioned FC 6 and I dont remember it having any really interesting mechanic in terms of gunplay. It's as mediocre as it gets.
I'm sorry, but I have to call BS on this. I've litterally played Far Cry 6 recently for over 45 hours and tbh, blowing shit up and killing dudes was kept me going cuz all of this is satisfying af. There's nothing even remotely the same in CP. I haven't played Far Cry games after Blood Dragon and it looks like I've made the right choice.
And I agree, "gun feel" is bad in Cyberpunk, but specially now with the Relic abilities, you have tons of options in combat. Much more than your average 1st person open world game, imo.
We'll have to wait and see about that, 2.0 is not out yet. You have to play the game yourself to get the feel of everything.

You can literally feel and see after finishing CP (v1.0-1.63), that all the effort was put into story, stuff around it and the world when it comes to visuals and design, while everything else is either extremely underdeveloped or simply not good or mediocre to say the least. Deus Ex HR and MD had miles better stuff you can do outside of the story content (especially MD), not to mention even their own game, The Witcher 3. There's so much cool stuff in the story for example which you can only see once and never again in any way shape or form in any of the side stuff in open world. There's some cool side stuff here and there for sure, but it's like 10% out of 90% of bs.

I'll be replaying the game with 2.0 update, we'll see.

Last edited:

nowhat

I still don't know what issue the other forum has with Cyberpunk. Judy is one of the best LGBT characters in a game do what is their problem?
There's at least that one advertisement that can be found around the city (the chick with the dick) that for $REASONS irked some. And then a CDPR community manager or such posted a few tweets that were deemed inappropriate.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Cyberpunks got gameplay now saaaayyy whaaaaaattt

but does it still have that stupid noise everytimes they see you made me want to punch my monitor??

FeralEcho

All this stuff is too long. I thing games are too long
What do you expect,from the responses here it's apparently "in line" with their expectations,expectations for an expansion to be 40-50 hours long,jfc and then the same fucking people complain about crap like AC Valhalla being too bloated and long... You'll soon get one release every 10 years cuz games need to be 200 hours long so it can be "in line" with these people's garbage expectations.

I miss 2009 and the 7-12 hour long games....But hey I guess people were more rich back then and bought and played more than 1 fucking game a year.

As for Cyberpunk, I'm excited for the dlc,loved the vibe of the trailer for the story, that's what's important to me,story,gameplay mechanics not fucking length.

Raven117

Well, they patch their games, their games still come with complete concepts day 1.

My only point is that what was promised regarding that concept, is what Starfield is, lol loading be damned lol

lol so....nothing then? So...I know bud, I looked thru a lot of those videos too hype for the game, but they never really give some absolute statement on some magical feature that isn't present in the game. At most, you have them not being 100% transparent regarding how the worlds load when you are in them, but thats really about it.
I'm not saying the game is perfect, shit I was the one telling folks it feels like it really is a 7/10 (which isn't bad btw), but they are not really giving some false statement or fake promise about some concept or feature.

The deep lolz, sure Raven just follow me on GaF

(Me telling ya'll for the 2077th time how CDPR scammed ya'll) lol
giphy.gif

"states customizable parts, lies"
"has star system to lie to you"
"shows car combat in CGI trailer...lies"
(CDRP adds car combat)
"ohhh but yea, they are not chasing GTAZ" lol
I never paid much attention to any of that. Picked up the game last year. Had a great time with it. Great quests and cool vibe. Looking forward to new content and some reworked systems.

It’s really that simple for me. I’m not being scammed. I’m getting the content I expect if not exceeding my expectations.

EDMIX

I never paid much attention to any of that. Picked up the game last year. Had a great time with it. Great quests and cool vibe. Looking forward to new content and some reworked systems.

It’s really that simple for me. I’m not being scammed. I’m getting the content I expect if not exceeding my expectations.

True, it may depend on the gamer.

I was thinking of all of those things as it is a open world game. I'm sure over time those features will find their way to the series regardless if it takes several titles or something.

If you went into it without much reservation, i can never say that is scam, but if someone goes into it looking at those trailers, I'd say 100% they are being led to believe a lot. The fact that some of those features are returning years later thru updates sorta proves there was an intent to show someone that stuff in those trailers based on it being in the game (or planned on or something).

Conceptually anyway, you can see the design was made with some of those features in mind as in the overworld you can see some elements of it. I think they can make it some action, open world thing ala Far Cry or Borderlands, while still making it more of an RPG for those who wish to play that way, but if you went into it without seeing any of those previews, you view of the game will be based on what you played vs what was promised.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What do you expect,from the responses here it's apparently "in line" with their expectations,expectations for an expansion to be 40-50 hours long,jfc and then the same fucking people complain about crap like AC Valhalla being too bloated and long... You'll soon get one release every 10 years cuz games need to be 200 hours long so it can be "in line" with these people's garbage expectations.

I miss 2009 and the 7-12 hour long games....But hey I guess people were more rich back then and bought and played more than 1 fucking game a year.

As for Cyberpunk, I'm excited for the dlc,loved the vibe of the trailer for the story, that's what's important to me,story,gameplay mechanics not fucking length.
Nothing beats 10 hours right game. I’ve replayed gears game plenty of times and always has great time and found new stuff.
Replaying modern games… even Elden ring, you have Wade through sea of bloat, empty caves, mmo quests like in ff16 and so on.

nowhat

If you went into it without much reservation, i can never say that is scam, but if someone goes into it looking at those trailers, I'd say 100% they are being led to believe a lot. The fact that some of those features are returning years later thru updates sorta proves there was an intent to show someone that stuff in those trailers based on it being in the game (or planned on or something).
CDPR released a trailer about vehicle customization in October 2020, a month before release (at the time, it was delayed one final time for almost a month shortly after). Apparently this expansion/2.0 will also bring new vehicles, but I don't think the customization is still there? (just googled it, nope, you can get a PC mod though) Not a feature I'd be personally interested in, mind you, but one example among many, CDPR is definitely to blame for people having too many expectations.

Having said that, I'm actually looking forward to revisiting the game, with many of the technical issues being resolved and knowing what I'll get. It's not the Cyberpunk RPG I wanted/hoped for (and if there's a sequel, I hope CDPR puts much more emphasis on that department), but it may be among the better Cyberpunk action/kinda-adventure games out there (not that it's a very contested market).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This year is packed so I got to skip it as I'd rather support the developers that made complete games this year, I hope you all enjoy it though!
I put 53 hours into CP2077 at launch. It was more playable then it was for consoles. The game is great but bugs ultimately held it back and once they had announced DLC I decided to shelf it until the game was complete since CDPR overhyped their own game to the point of looking like clowns.

I'll probably take a crack at it after RE4: Separate Ways. Unless I get distracted by Skyrim again. Could play Skyrim forever and not get bored.

artsi

CDPR's horrible sin was that they tried to be trans inclusive:

- include dick options in character creation
- include a trans NPC in game
- cater to LGBT audience in romance options
- putting trans people in ads to normalize being trans

But apparently they did it wrong with the last one, so they got cancelled.

But only this game because they make too good games.

Embearded

Ah yes, the Orwellian wet dream.

Cyberpunk doesn't exist when Witcher is discussed.
CDPR is public enemy no 2 (JKR will forever be 1), only when Cyberpunk is mentioned.

Riky

$MSFT
Looks promising just don't think I've got the time with Starfield and Forza, especially because I feel like I've got to start from scratch.

Hestar69

are they really mad about that? I swear people over on that forums have to be the stupidest ppl on earth.

Varteras

Gold Member
WOW!!!! That's nuts! Do you need to beat the regular game to play this? If not, would you guys still suggest we beat the original CP2077 game first?
According to a friend of mine, who loves the game and has been eagerly awaiting this, he said he heard it was recommended to just start from the beginning.

mckmas8808 mckmas8808 To expand on that, CDPR themselves have recommended it. The expansion takes place partway through the game and unlocks a new ending you can only get if you play through Phantom Liberty.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lol fc6 is not even on the same universe as rage 2 or destiny 2 gunplay wise, it's decent at the very best.

Cyberpunkd

According to a friend of mine, who loves the game and has been eagerly awaiting this, he said he heard it was recommended to just start from the beginning.

mckmas8808 mckmas8808 To expand on that, CDPR themselves have recommended it. The expansion takes place partway through the game and unlocks a new ending you can only get if you play through Phantom Liberty.
Ok, so it's better not to finish the main game before (which will still put you back before the point of no return) - I understand the extra option will unlock at the end of the MQ once PL is finished?

Gudji

So what would one be missing if they only bought the main game? The relic skill tree is one of those things I guess (assuming it can be used on the main game). What else?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm sliiiightly concerned that there doesn't seem to be any console footage out there... Oh well, I guess I'll take 2.0 for a spin and see how it runs first, need a PS5 save for this expansion anyway. Last I played Cyberpunk was during the launch month, on a Pro, wasn't a huge fan. While there were technical issues (oh lordy were there) and the game could crash frequently, those really weren't my main complaints. Patch notes for 2.0 (and for previous major patches too) at least on paper seem to address many issues I had with the game, so who knows, maybe I'll really get into it this time. Downloading right now.
May as well set your expectation more realistically and other than the improvements on the gameplay level or additions to the mechanics, the visuals are more or less a PC feature that is making the more incremental upgrade. I don't even know if they've gone around showing those versions since the PC version is so striking that I wouldn't want to show anything else other than that anyway given the advancements they've been making with Ray tracing and DLSS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom