• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 |OT| The Future Is Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of "outrage" over NPC dialog being thin.

Do all of you live in the woods? Wtf you doing talking or even making eye contact with people for?

This isn't how cities work. You trying to get your ass kicked?

It's not my fault. The mox receptionist kept flirting with me and when I tried to reciprocate her feelings she just told me to fuck off

Like everyone else in this fucking city

The game seems fairly shallow 10 hrs in.

In Deus Ex you had smaller skill trees but with each one you really felt your character evolving and improving.

Never felt that once speccing my character in this game.

It's fun but disappointing for me so far. Not a patch on the Deus Ex trilogy (IW doesn't exist) yet.

I see a lot of "outrage" over NPC dialog being thin.

Do all of you live in the woods? Wtf you doing talking or even making eye contact with people for?

This isn't how cities work. You trying to get your ass kicked?
I’ve noticed a lot of people squat near my car. I thought it was an event, like they were stealing my rims or something.

I tried to slowly drive away but everyone reacted like I hit someone. Then I realized one of them was underneath my car.

Then I went and took a shower. Good times

teezzy

Banned
pro-tip = if you get stuck in scan mode, just hit Caps Lock, it toggles it rather than forcing you to hold Tab

also booooy is it lame when you get blasted in combat because the game glitched your shotgun out of your hands after you threw a grenade and your arms get glitched in the "shotgun holding" position and start flickering

:messenger_dizzy:

Pantz

Tip/Glitch to remove underwear in gameplay:

Have at least 2 pairs of pants and mash the equip button a bunch so they keep swapping, then quickly go and unequip whichever you are wearing. Go back to gameplay/photo mode and you should see your dong or whatever you have hanging out.
It's unclear if the underwear is intended or not in gameplay.
(It doesn't always work, you may have to experiment/reload game).

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
... Then I realized one of them was underneath my car.

For some reason this gave me Escape From New York vibes, with all the people bursting from the ground. I hope Night City has an underground, lizard people problem. DLC maybe.

On that note, can we get an Escape From New York game, please? If The Evil Dead can do it, why can't we get some Kurt Russell?

TIGERCOOL

My biggest problem with the game is that it's not an RPG. It's a choose your own adventure book with a pre-defined protagonist and a skill system that seems to mostly make you better at the things that you can already do.

V and Johnny are both sides of the broad dichotomy the game presents. One is a materialistic moron who just wants to "make it big" - the other detests the degeneracy and lifestyle inherent to Night City and wants to burn it down. I wish they would have scrapped the whole dynamic and allowed us to form our own opinions about Night City and, more importantly, act on them.

I'll see where they're taking it, but the potential for real, meaningful roleplaying seems very limited going forward. I already know who V is - and I don't like him. Real bummer. I would be able to forgive the poorly thought out open world elements if I felt like this was in any way my story. For now it's just a nice looking hub between fun missions for a character I feel no authorship over or connection to.

I'm enjoying it for what it is, but it's not the game I was hoping for so far.

teezzy

Banned
My biggest problem with the game is that it's not an RPG. It's a choose your own adventure book with a pre-defined protagonist and a skill system that seems to mostly make you better at the things that you can already do.

V and Johnny are both sides of the broad dichotomy the game presents. One is a materialistic moron who just wants to "make it big" - the other detests the degeneracy and lifestyle inherent to Night City and wants to burn it down. I wish they would have scrapped the whole dynamic and allowed us to form our own opinions about Night City and, more importantly, act on them.

I'll see where they're taking it, but the potential for real, meaningful roleplaying seems very limited going forward. I already know who V is - and I don't like him. Real bummer. I would be able to forgive the poorly thought out open world elements if I felt like this was in any way my story. For now it's just a nice looking hub between fun missions for a character I feel no authorship over or connection to.

At the end of the day, I wanted GTA meets Deus Ex... and that's more or less what I got.

Do I prefer it to any of those franchises? Not sure. I haven't spent enough time with the game to be certain of that one way or the other

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Game could absolutely use some side activities that aren't combat focused; I'm not sure if it was just a budgeting restriction or what, but it is really hurting for a Dice Poker or GWENT alternative.

My biggest problem with the game is that it's not an RPG.

. . .definition erases decades of history of RPG's. This is LITERALLY a "roleplaying game." It is not the "silent protag" RPG of Fallout or Elder Scrolls, however it is an RPG nonetheless.

Last edited:

Ogbert

My biggest problem with the game is that it's not an RPG.

Yep.

To be honest, the money involved meant it was never going to be.

You can see what they've done - built an amazing city which they will add to over the next five to ten years. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up like GTA online.

Komatsu

People on Metacritic: The game doesn't work!!

Me:
PvZq8DF.png

(Rig used for this particular capture: Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 2060S)

CloudNull

Banned

How far into the main story are you? Currently my relationship with Johnny is evolving. We are slowly becoming one with the way we think. This seems to be solely from the dialogue options I have selected while interacting with him.

I would love to know if this is an illusion of changing the story... like if you choose the other options does the tension between the two increase or do you always end up at this convergence of views.

Rex_DX

Gold Member

This is my main issue with the game, too. For people who are really in to RPGs the little details are exceptionally important.

All the game had to tell me to know I wasn't really going to mesh with V's provided character was the item "V's favorite shirt" you receive right in the beginning. You get this completely gross, dumb shirt and are immediately told this is your favorite. That speaks volumes to what kind of kind of character the game has decided V is already, without your input and that pretty much killed any expectation I had to role play from the get-go.

I mean, this is fine. It's a minor deal unless you somehow thought the game was going to be this pinnacle of role play. CDPR aren't known for Bethesda's strong suit of giving you a blank-slate character to do anything you'd like with. Chances are if you loved The Witcher 3, Geralt really resonated with you as a character.

Cyberpunk does something kind of in between the Bethesda school of thought and the rigid, set-character in The Witcher and I think it suffers for it both from a writing standpoint and a mechanical one.

But again, given all the marketing material, I wasn't going into this game with assumptions it was going to be GTA meets Baldur's Gate meets DOOM. It's a minor gripe from an RPG-diehard is all.

cormack12

Gold Member
Tip/Glitch to remove underwear in gameplay:

Have at least 2 pairs of pants and mash the equip button a bunch so they keep swapping, then quickly go and unequip whichever you are wearing. Go back to gameplay/photo mode and you should see your dong or whatever you have hanging out.
It's unclear if the underwear is intended or not in gameplay.

I don't have underwear? In fact due to a mishap i spent the first hour walking round starkers with my flaps out

RyRy93

So many whiny babies, it has technical issues that will be fixed but I think the biggest problem is that to some this was an evolution of GTA, to others an evolved Beth RPG and others the definitive immersive sim.

CP2077 was supposed to be so many different people's dream game.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Is it worth buying on PC now? Or is it buggy? I have a i9-10900k and a 3080.

With that setup you're going to be treated to a graphical powerhouse of a game that's -from my time with it- slightly more janky than a Bethesda release at launch. Plenty of bugs, plenty of beautiful moments as well.

The game isn't finished, but it's a matter of how much $60 is worth to you.
Up to you, mate.

iorek21

Just reached Act 2 on PS5, nice experience for now.

Not a mindblowing game at all, but it is good. Don't really got much to say about it though...

Love them or hate them, RDR 2 and TLOU2 got a lot more to talk about, and I think CP2077 is not quite on that level.

DeaDPo0L84

what resolution you playing at? RTX?

i have a 2080, 9900k, 32GB, 2TB WD nvme ssd. i'm playing at 1440p (DLSS balanced) with every thing at ultra preset except RTX (because it crashes my game). not going below ~55fps.

if you have RTX on or playing at 4K then yeah not even a 3090 will be enough.

I play on a 38" ultrawide @ 1440p, everything ultra including rtx, using auto for dlss.

Komatsu

Not a mindblowing game at all, but it is good. Don't really got much to say about it though...

Love them or hate them, RDR 2 and TLOU2 got a lot more to talk about, and I think CP2077 is not quite on that level.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, of course, but I find CP2077 superior to TLOU2 in every single way that matters.

And with all due respect, if you just reached Act 2 you have merely scratched the surface.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Am I fucking retarder or game are switching quests by itself? Few times I went for some quest and somewhat it changed midway and....I don't know. Anyone else?

TrainedRage

Banned

Call me after Act 2

Ogbert

Red Dead yes.

TLOU isn’t in the same ballpark. Naughty Dog have the best animators in video games. Other than that, their games are on rails quick time events.

TrainedRage

Banned
Am I fucking retarder or game are switching quests by itself? Few times I went for some quest and somewhat it changed midway and....I don't know. Anyone else?
Yeah sometimes I feel like if you are really close to a quest it will switch over to it thinking you are doing that one. I must admit sometimes i press the dpad on accident and hit a new quest. Also if you press up or down (cant remember) on the d pad it highlights different parts of the quest.

amigastar

Just reached Act 2 also and i safe to say game is awesome.
I didn't have big expectations though, so i'm pleasently surprised.

TIGERCOOL

How far into the main story are you? Currently my relationship with Johnny is evolving. We are slowly becoming one with the way we think. This seems to be solely from the dialogue options I have selected while interacting with him.

I would love to know if this is an illusion of changing the story... like if you choose the other options does the tension between the two increase or do you always end up at this convergence of views.
I'm a few hours passed the prologue

Komatsu

I have 2 playthrus going at the moment and particularly as the story progresses you can either become close to Johnny or go full-on confrontational.

As for the ending, ooh bot, can’t wait for people to see how their action affect the outcome.

K.S v2.0

Banned
Anyone who says the skill system isn't deep really isn't playing enough, or isn't imaginative enough. For example, try playing a pure melee build or a pure 100% hacking-only build. Its totally doable... but takes significant specialization on the skill tree as well as specific implants and mods.

Currently I'm rolling a blade based netrunner, with primary focus on the netrunner abilities so extremely heavy specialization in increasing my RAM amount as well as cooldowns and cost reduction. Early quickhacks are weak AF and don't actually do much damage but you can get some seriously broken tier powerful ones later, like System Reset (causes target to completely shut down and fall unconscious) or Synapse Burnout (does a large amount of lethal damage based on target's missing HP, basically an 'execute' ability). There's even one called Suicide that basically makes your target kill themselves, straight up.

Once properly levelled and specced, quickhacks become AoE, not just single target... so think about that for a sec. Its also ultimately possible to lower the cooldown of quickhacks to almost nothing, so they can be practically rapidfired. I'm at a point where I don't even need to fire a shot to totally annhilate a group.

There's a lot of ways to play this game other than I HAZ GAN, GAN GOES PEW PEW CAN I HAZ DPS?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom