• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crystal Dynamics has announced it is now developing the next TOMB RAIDER

Crystal Dynamics are talented developers, that have great games in their past.
Don't understand why Sony or Microsoft didn't purchase them for cheap when they had the chance...
My understanding is that MS couldn't purchase them. The reason being that they needed to wait until their purchase for Activision was approved. I'm not sure if they weren't legally able to make the purchase but it would have looked bad considering so many in the ignorant media thinking MS will take over the world because they own call of duty.

MS has a great relationship with CD and would have been a strong studio purchase.

As a guy who loves solo games, gamepass and enjoys everything from CD, I think it was a huge loss for MS.

Valt7786

No, thank you. They are going to make Lara all ugly and butter face. Her character model in the Definitive Edition, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider are unattractive in the latest iterations. They literally hit her with a woke bat.
I'll give you that they fucked up the Definitive edition face, but Rise and Shadow? Nah, she smokin' in those games.

TheGecko

Banned
Yeah, we want racism in our games!
What a loser.

This is what woke imbeciles like you do soon as an opinion based on the norm and the average appears. You probably relished in that game that featured incest in it.

Woke games aren't just weird, they are shit. This is a fact.

The less it infects future releases the better, and if it pisses off brain dead morons like you that think you can just go call someone racist for not wanting it the better.

The modern world has got too comfortable with scum like you spouting that vile, you're taking away the real meaning of it as if its just normal to call it anyone that has a differing opinion.

You make my skin crawl, and yes I'm a person of colour myself.

Don't understand why Sony or Microsoft didn't purchase them for cheap when they had the chance...
Considering that they cost 300m and nobody aside Embracer paid more (with IP and stuff), tells me that they were not that great at all.

My understanding is that MS couldn't purchase them. The reason being that they needed to wait until their purchase for Activision was approved. I'm not sure if they weren't legally able to make the purchase but it would have looked bad considering so many in the ignorant media thinking MS will take over the world because they own call of duty.
Considering that Square Enix West was on the market for some time and MS decided to go after a partnership rather than acquisition (while being in negotiation with Bungie) suggests that CD was not that great purchase at all regardless of ABK deal. Microsoft does not buy stuff randomly despite having money.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

I'd rather play this than whatever bullshit they're cooking up:

If that leak is real then it sounds like shit. I barely had any interest in that recent reboot series because of the direction they took with it so if now they're gonna go even further in that direction then good fucking luck but I ain't playing it, lol.

Bruh... this looks too good...

Rat Rage

We’re never getting anything like that again, because that kind of considered, thoughtful gameplay that Core perfected is anathema to modern, fast paced, microtransaction favouring gameplay style.

Tomb Raider is Uncharted but worse now. That’s all it is.

Sadly true... :messenger_neutral:
This is why the golden age of gaming in the 90's was so awesome. Dev-teams were smaller, and there was much less corporate bullshit around. Basically the games back then were made BY gamers FOR gamers - that's why the games had so much "soul". Gameplay first > everything else.

Shout-out to Core Design!

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

While no details have been revealed yet, Crystal Dynamics' recent investor meeting revealed that it is planning to release more information by next year. When asked about the upcoming Tomb Raider game, Crystal Dynamics CEO Phil Rogers said that while they can't divulge specifics just yet, he teased that he's excited about the direction the team has taken for the next game. Players might expect details on the new Tomb Raider to come out during 2023.

Deerock71

From that 100,000 plus signature petition, it will be a Tomb Raider/Legacy of Kain crossover game. Believe.

Actually, this sounds kind of cool.

-Zelda-

Banned
I want fun cocky no shits given lara back. Acrobatic and graceful lara, globe trotting gun toting, sassy lara. not this perma depressed lara that needs 40 years of intense therapy and medication "lara".

Save that overly depressing type stuff for TLOU series.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
2013 and Rise were the best TR games since the original.

Agreed, utter nonsense that noramlguy09x is spouting. Destroyed a franchise, sold millions of copies, were fun to play, and had a metascore of 86, 86 and 75. I mean I wouldn't even use them as a coaster. Compleeeeeeetly destroyed the whole franchise. Right.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This "Destroyed the franchised" from the "everything is woke" crowd is utterly retarded.. What does "woke" even mean in 2022? Y'all say everything is woke. Seriously. Unless it's The Northman (google it) its woke. You see the same complaints with TLOU 2. Somehow it ruined the franchise - Even though its literally the most awarded game of all time, and is receiving what will easily be the best, and probably most successful, Hollywood video game adaption of all time, and sold millions.

Its frustrating because it makes no sense.

Looking forward to the next TR. Only if its next gen only. No buy if its more cross gen trash. Im done supporting non next gen games. Ragnarok was my last.

Last edited:
Agreed, utter nonsense that noramlguy09x is spouting. Destroyed a franchise, sold millions of copies, were fun to play, and had a metascore of 86, 86 and 75. I mean I wouldn't even use them as a coaster. Compleeeeeeetly destroyed the whole franchise. Right.
They turned Lara Croft into a whimpering, whiny, annoying b****. Yes they ruined her character as well as the franchise.

Orta

Banned
They turned Lara Croft into a whimpering, whiny, annoying b****. Yes they ruined her character as well as the franchise.

the-office-steve-carell.gif

We’re never getting anything like that again, because that kind of considered, thoughtful gameplay that Core perfected is anathema to modern, fast paced, microtransaction favouring gameplay style.

Tomb Raider is Uncharted but worse now. That’s all it is.
seriously. hell, i'm playing rift beyond, & while i'm looking around for gold bolts even ratchet keeps reminding me what i'm supposed to do next...

Majormaxxx

To the people complaining about the 'ruined the franchise' comment:

Did you not notice that new Lara's personality was completely changed? One of the staples of OG Lara was her wit, confidence and attitude. New Lara is like a sensitive scared tree hugging little kitten. This totally clashes with the gameplay. In the words of the most annoying Adam in the gaming world, "LuDoNarRaTiVe DiSsOnaNce".

And, she has a sidekick in the friend zone.

Obviously the gameplay is fun. The games look great. But something is off.

Old Lara was cooler and more bad ass, while at the same time killing less enemies than the new hippy dippy emo Lara who massacred 100s.

Last edited:

deeptech

To the people complaining about the 'ruined the franchise' comment:

Did you not notice that new Lara's personality was completely changed? One of the staples of OG Lara was her wit, confidence and attitude. New Lara is like a sensitive scared tree hugging little kitten. This totally clashes with the gameplay. In the words of the most annoying Adam in the gaming world, "LuDoNarRaTiVe DiSsOnaNce".

And, she has a sidekick in the friend zone.

Obviously the gameplay is fun. The games look great. But something is off.

Old Lara was cooler and more bad ass, while at the same time killing less enemies than the new hippy dippy emo Lara who massacred 100s.
OG Lara was so cool, they complained it's male fantasy, no representative of real women (as if it has to be), then they make her sensitive and "realistic" and at same time complain women are strong and capable, THE nonsense.

Top Bottom