• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wtf wheres the Viv avatar? Freeza you do suck!

fd976ff3-fc2a-4d8b-b58c-c741ff9a5814.jpg

We should have a Is There A Comic Cover For Everything thread.

VanWinkle

Just ordered Goon Library Edition vol. 4 (YES). Also got other stuff I'm really excited for! New Teen Titans tpb Vol. 1 (been wanting to start that series forever), Nightwing by Dixon Vol. 2 (read volume 1 sooo long ago and I'm ashamed that it's taken me this long to buy vol. 2), and Superior Spiderman OHC Vol. 2 (can FINALLY read this series now that I'll have all three OHCs).

I'm in the market to buy either a Surface Pro 4 or an iPad Pro (Undecided about the big one and the 9.7 inch). Which do you guys recommend? Which is better for reading comics or are they both about the same? Do apps like Marvel Unlimited and Comiczeal work on Surface?

Messi

I'm in the market to buy either a Surface Pro 4 or an iPad Pro (Undecided about the big one and the 9.7 inch). Which do you guys recommend? Which is better for reading comics or are they both about the same? Do apps like Marvel Unlimited and Comiczeal work on Surface?

I have the big pro and it is absolutely perfect for comics. If you are into that sort of thing. I don't read them, I am not some kind of cretin.

SP4 is full on Windows 10, with all that implies; you won't be reading your comics through an app, but if you can handle the web store you should be okay. It's also a pretty great device for... you know, laptop stuff. As opposed to the Pro, which is just a giant iPad, which is just a giant iPhone that can't call anybody.

VanWinkle

iPad Pro 12.9. Anything smaller is unacceptable. My 8.4" tablet makes me sad when I read digital comics. The 12.9" is like the same page size as a trade paperback (I think. Can you confirm that, messi?).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Comics!|OT| November 2016 - I was wrong, Freeza does suck.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016 - Anything smaller than a 1000 dollar device is unacceptable.

Idk should probably be something about the election.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016 - Like Prez but IRL

Vyer

Surface Pro is pretty bad as a tablet. Horrible App Store so you're often left with regular Windows programs or browser versions that might or might not be (poorly) shoehorned into touch screen use. It's also very clunky and awkward in tablet mode. iPad Pro is infinitely better for media consumption. Their apps are top notch and with excellent support.

SP is a solid laptop replacement though.

Titans #4
As much as I continue to enjoy this book, this issue was all build and no bang. As cool as these fights were (again) and as sick as Wally threats are, it just edged me too much. The next issue will assumedly conclude this arc, though, and based on how this book has been building, it has to be big.

Detective Comics #943
What another great issue. Certainly a good pallette cleanser after NotMM. This issue does a great job of creating psychological tension without any real action.
We have the creepy and foreboding murders and the message attached to them, then we have the red hooded one (I forget the name even though they were released a while back) stalking Stephanie. On top of that, the team is going through a great deal: Steph is struggling with the loss of Tim, feeling isolated and directionless, with being unable to go back to the team due to the loss of her biggest attachment to it. Bruce is pretty much the same, only really stepping forward to proceed to go nowhere in an ongoing war of attrition that is interrogating Kate's dad. While Cass and Basil are bonding, it's clear that the latter is still struggling with his identity issues and how others view him. And then there's Kate who's trying to hold it all together.

It's this tension of everything possibly falling apart at any given moment, and the looming shadow that hangs over an already fragile team. And the ending really pays off of that build up. Another great issue of one of the best books out there.

Question:
Am I to assume that the stuff with Harper and Jean Paul came out of B&R Eternal?

Captain America: Steve Rogers #6
Man oh man Steve is such a shit, but not a stupid one. While he does a great job at playing the bad guy here, nothing he's said in regards to the Civil War has been wrong. Everything
he says to Tony is completely right and we've all asked the same questions, but it's also painfully clear when Steve starts angling towards his own gains.
I think Nick Spencer has been doing a great job at showing how some types of people can get wrapped up in a belief system like the one that's presented by Hydra, even if it is messed up.

I am intensely curious as to what Steve's play is. That's another huge chunk of why this book is as good as it is: it's like a psychological thriller that entirely follows the villain. Like you see what he does and you know it can't be stopped. It's terrifying and enthralling all at once.

Extraordinary X-Men #15
The fall of the mutants begins with Ibañez. Good god is the art in this issue fucking terrible. RAMOS WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!? Not to mention, there's a couple story points that bug me:
I'm a bit spacey on anything Limbo, but Illyana has it inside of herself, right? That's still a thing? So does that really mean that all that's needed is the Soul Sword? I would assume that woukd affecr Illyana in a much grander way. Also, Apocalypse's taunts are weird. The only reason they brought him back was to change Colossus back, and everyone knows it. Especially Kurt. Otherwise, what the fuck was the point? So obviously he's going to get free, either because they let him go or because he breaks out during the attack. Either way works.

Overall a pretty mediocre to bad issue. The art is bad and the writing is okay. The revelations presented don't amount to anything and any other knowledge presented is stuff we already know. Apparently the Omega World arc was too good for this world.

So uh I might have missed something but

Why was Jessica Jones in prison and why does she hate everyone now?
We don't know. It's part of the driving plot of the book.

Mindwipe

The Pro 4 is a much better device overall, but a terrible comics reader. No CMX offline downloads is a bit of a killer.

Deathstroke

Damian was savage as fuuuuuck. Loved this issue because of Damian and the interaction between Rose and Batman.

Batman Beyond

I'm liking this so far and cool to see an explanation for Terry getting his ass kicked. It still felt like set up though. That's my one complaint about Rebirth, it seems like books are forever in set up mode until suddenly their arcs are over abruptly, and this feels like more of that so far.

Titans

This is getting a little too cheesy for me. "Even if we split up we're still together. We're still friends." Really?!

Hellblazer

After not really liking the last issue I really liked this one. I was a little confused by the guy Constantine was talking to, he seemed to come in and out of his ability to comprehend which kind of confused me. Of course Chas was a dumbass and used his regular bookie.

Suicide Squad

God dammit I just want full issues! Yes I like the back-ups but I want more of the regular story.

Ross61

Titans #4
As much as I continue to enjoy this book, this issue was all build and no bang. As cool as these fights were (again) and as sick as Wally threats are, it just edged me too much. The next issue will assumedly conclude this arc, though, and based on how this book has been building, it has to be big.

Detective Comics #943
What another great issue. Certainly a good pallette cleanser after NotMM. This issue does a great job of creating psychological tension without any real action.
We have the creepy and foreboding murders and the message attached to them, then we have the red hooded one (I forget the name even though they were released a while back) stalking Stephanie. On top of that, the team is going through a great deal: Steph is struggling with the loss of Tim, feeling isolated and directionless, with being unable to go back to the team due to the loss of her biggest attachment to it. Bruce is pretty much the same, only really stepping forward to proceed to go nowhere in an ongoing war of attrition that is interrogating Kate's dad. While Cass and Basil are bonding, it's clear that the latter is still struggling with his identity issues and how others view him. And then there's Kate who's trying to hold it all together.

It's this tension of everything possibly falling apart at any given moment, and the looming shadow that hangs over an already fragile team. And the ending really pays off of that build up. Another great issue of one of the best books out there.

Question:
Am I to assume that the stuff with Harper and Jean Paul came out of B&R Eternal?

Captain America: Steve Rogers #6
Man oh man Steve is such a shit, but not a stupid one. While he does a great job at playing the bad guy here, nothing he's said in regards to the Civil War has been wrong. Everything
he says to Tony is completely right and we've all asked the same questions, but it's also painfully clear when Steve starts angling towards his own gains.
I think Nick Spencer has been doing a great job at showing how some types of people can get wrapped up in a belief system like the one that's presented by Hydra, even if it is messed up.

I am intensely curious as to what Steve's play is. That's another huge chunk of why this book is as good as it is: it's like a psychological thriller that entirely follows the villain. Like you see what he does and you know it can't be stopped. It's terrifying and enthralling all at once.

Extraordinary X-Men #15
The fall of the mutants begins with Ibañez. Good god is the art in this issue fucking terrible. RAMOS WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!? Not to mention, there's a couple story points that bug me:
I'm a bit spacey on anything Limbo, but Illyana has it inside of herself, right? That's still a thing? So does that really mean that all that's needed is the Soul Sword? I would assume that woukd affecr Illyana in a much grander way. Also, Apocalypse's taunts are weird. The only reason they brought him back was to change Colossus back, and everyone knows it. Especially Kurt. Otherwise, what the fuck was the point? So obviously he's going to get free, either because they let him go or because he breaks out during the attack. Either way works.

Overall a pretty mediocre to bad issue. The art is bad and the writing is okay. The revelations presented don't amount to anything and any other knowledge presented is stuff we already know. Apparently the Omega World arc was too good for this world.

We don't know. It's part of the driving plot of the book.
Harper stuff probably in B&R Eternal. But Jean Paul was in the earlier issues of last arc.

Harper stuff probably in B&R Eternal. But Jean Paul was in the earlier issues of last arc.

They're both definitely in B&R Eternal, but Azriel was the one that was beat up by the Batmen army crew in the first Rebirth issue of 'Tec. Don't think much was said or done with him other than that in Detective so far.

Ross61

They're both definitely in B&R Eternal, but Azriel was the one that was beat up by the Batmen army crew in the first Rebirth issue of 'Tec. Don't think much was said or done with him other than that in Detective so far.
That's pretty much what I was saying. It seems Jean Paul(Azrael) decided to stay and help the nurse who treated him after he was beat up by The Colony.

That's pretty much what I was saying. It seems Jean Paul(Azrael) decided to stay and help the nurse who treated him after he was beat up by The Colony.

I feel like nothing will actually be done with him but Tynion was just wanting to add one more person to the group that can possibly join the team. Could be wrong though.

Top Bottom