• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibranium

Banned
I honestly don't think there is even very much to him beyond his defining hatred of Spider-Man, is all.

Which is why it would be fun to do more with the character, to push boundaries. We've had decades of him being defined by Spidey hatred and it's really tired.

But we'll have to wait and see who the new writer on Spidey is after Slott leaves though I guess.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Spider-Island is funnily enough the last Slott stuff I actually enjoyed.

Pro-Tip: The Avengers Spider-Island tie in is mandatory.
KcvCQdx.jpg

FrogMandatory. HAYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Has this been hinted at or are you just talking about hypotheticals?

No hintings as far as I know. Would like to see Fraction doing something with Spidey. Or maybe Brubaker.

I also would like to see what Bendis would do with the 616er Spider-Man, but after reading Spider-Man in his Avengers Stuff, I am not sure if I really want him as a regular writer...

Make sure you read that Shang-Chi Spider-Island one, too. The kung fu shit is pretty fun.

As for Slott leaving, with how successful his run has been, the only way he'd go is if he decided to leave, and considering this is basically his dream job, lol at that happening any time soon. You know dude got plans well into 2015 already. I mostly enjoy his stories, though

Speaking of Mark Waid and Spider-Man, he got an OGN coming out next week, Gabriele Dell'Otto painted all 100+ pages. Apparently, its already out at Books a Million, so if you still have one of those you're in luck!

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
No hintings as far as I know. Would like to see Fraction doing something with Spidey. Or maybe Brubaker.

I also would like to see what Bendis would do with the 616er Spider-Man, but after reading Spider-Man in his Avengers Stuff, I am not sure if I really want him as a regular writer...

brubaker might do something great with spidey but he would need some help with the dialogue.

Brubaker is Image exclusive

Speaking of Mark Waid and Spider-Man, he got an OGN coming out next week, Gabriele Dell'Otto painted all 100+ pages. Apparently, its already out at Books a Million, so if you still have one of those you're in luck!

I've been looking forward to Spider-Man: "There's no way my little sister is an Agent of SHIELD"

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I've been meh on Empire of the Dead after the first issue, but I've been going along with it because somewhere I got the notion that it's only 5 issues? I figured I could stick it out that long to see how it wraps up.

If that's true (5 issues) then I may stick with it since they're at 3 already.

Toa TAK

Banned
Make sure you read that Shang-Chi Spider-Island one, too. The kung fu shit is pretty fun.

As for Slott leaving, with how successful his run has been, the only way he'd go is if he decided to leave, and considering this is basically his dream job, lol at that happening any time soon. You know dude got plans well into 2015 already. I mostly enjoy his stories, though

That looks fantastic, almost forgot about this coming out.

frye

lol

Slott probably has 3 more years

Probably another relaunch or two as well (Marvel Comics: Fuck Numbers). Really though, it's kinda weird that Slott has had 4 Brand New Directions between BND, Big Time, Superior, and Amazing spread out over 6~ years at this point.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Slott and his "dream job" has followed the path of Official Ice Cream tester quite closely.

Some great stuff, some great enthusiastic work there at the first half. Now he's got a seemingly constant brain freeze and is just throwing up everywhere. Time for a new dream job/getoutGetOutGETOUT.

Aaron's free. Astonishing Spidey and Wolvie should have basically been the equivalent of him putting coins up on the pool table edge for both those bastards. Done his Wolvie, now its time to tango with the spider.

Probably another relaunch or two as well (Marvel Comics: Fuck Numbers). Really though, it's kinda weird that Slott has had 4 Brand New Directions between BND, Big Time, Superior, and Amazing spread out over 6~ years at this point.

Well, you also gotta consider how many issues were written during those 6 years. 100 ASM issues from BND, about 8 years of stories in 3 years. Then Big Time/Superior were double shipping.

Put it like this, Dan Slott wrote both ASM 600 AND 700 within a couple years of each other.

CorvoSol

Comic Book names are the dumbest names after Anime names.

"May Reilly-Parker-Jameson"

Swear I had a teacher in elementary school who had at least this many hyphens in her name. Dude forgot "Octavius" anyway.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

frye

Well, you also gotta consider how many issues were written during those 6 years. 100 ASM issues from BND, about 8 years of stories in 3 years. Then Big Time/Superior were double shipping.

Put it like this, Dan Slott wrote both ASM 600 AND 700 within a couple years of each other.

Yeah, that's true. I think Slott is going for the "dude who wrote the most Spider-Man issues" title too so we probably aren't getting a new writer until then.

kswiston

This is the biggest thing. I'm not sure how many of the brand new day issues Slott wrote himself (20 or so?), but he wrote 52 issues of ASM and 30+ issues of Superior. That's at least 100 issues of Spider-man, which would have been an 8 year run back in the good-ol days of once a month shipping.

Yeah, that's true. I think Slott is going for the "dude who wrote the most Spider-Man issues" title too so we probably aren't getting a new writer until then.

He's got a long way to go, unless Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man doesn't count.

Slott said he does the navel method for his scripts . So thy is part of his productivity .

Spider universe seems like a good jumping off point for him .

Man it's a shame the MU app's guided view is broken. I'm so used to it in all my digital reading. Why can't other devs do as good as comixology? I have to go to full page view and that's not as enjoyable

Edit: hmm it seems much better with newer releases. So maybe when I read the defenders it was early version of them figuring it out

Vibranium

Banned
So he left Marvel? Thats sad, loved his work :(

OK, thanks for the explanation. Can you give me a link to a shop were I can buy this? Del Otto alone let me want to buy this.

It's coming out next week, it should be on internet sites like Amazon, etc. I hope you enjoy the story!

Yeah, Bendis is coming up on 200, huh? That dude has been written Spider-Man every month since 2001.

If we're talking about just the 616 books, Gerry Conway has written 134, JM DeMatteis has 125, Stan Lee has 117, I think Michelinie is well past 100 as well. He's definitely breezed past JMS' 60 something. I think he's at about 110-115 now.

ASM isn't double shipping anymore(probably because he's writing Silver Surfer now too), but there are those five issues of Learning to Crawl he's doing with Ramon Perez, so he's on his way.

It was a dumb one note revival of a long since dormant plot point because what else are you going to do with Tony Stark. As a concept sentence, sure, the idea makes you go "OH WOW, THEY REALLY DOING THIS?!". In its actual execution and the rest of that fucking garbage event, it was a blip against a whole wall of white noise. Tony getting fucking blind piss drunk with a bunch of dwarves and building a one-time power-up is not important character development, its some truly dumb shit.

Tony Stark getting carried away with big brother leanings, the stress of trying to run the world through SHIELD and more were far more interesting and important roads the character traveled down compared to a quick and easy shock shlock panel.

Fast forward to current day however and the worst run of Iron Man since Teen Tony! Hurrah!

Long since dormant???

500.1, where Tony shares at an AA meeting, came out BEFORE Fear Itself.

I mean, look, yes, it was ass ridiculous the way every death was reversed immediately, and a case could be made that you shouldn't have to have read Invincible to get the weight of Fear Itself, but calling it one note after Fraction painstakingly established and illustrated his sobriety for like two years at that point is...well, I mean it's actually clear after "long since dormant" that you hadn't even read the Invincible stories so man I don't even know.

Pie and Beans

I read them. I enjoyed them, particularly the mind wipe saga's franticness, because they weren't lazily falling back onto old plot points for a shitty event bullet point. TONY STARK GETS DRUNK as some headline to a terrible event is just that. What did they do with it? Got drunk with dwarves, jokes m8. Hell, the absolutely stupid Mandarin/Stane/Hammer long con of a publically crappy Iron Man is actually when that book began to fall apart and get boring too.

Fear Itself was trash. You must exist in this reality along with the rest of us until the next slide.

CorvoSol

Finished the first Spider-Island issue. A LOT of things that are way different than the standard Spidey set up in there, haha. Flash is Venom but not Bad Venom. May married Jameson's dad. Jameson is mayor. Parker is apparently not with MJ but for some reason they still call and talk and I guess like always Marvel wants to play the "MJ is a bitch who bosses Peter around" angle. Carlie is Perfect Fairy Girlfriend Princess and not secretly Mephisto in drag.

What struck me the most though is that I don't know how Peter finds time for it all. He's on like, 3 super hero teams apparently, plus his solo gig, plus his job, plus he has a girlfriend.

Messi

How long do you guys think Snyder will want to write Batman and Capullo will want to be on art duties? They are on an impressive run.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Finished the first Spider-Island issue. A LOT of things that are way different than the standard Spidey set up in there, haha. Flash is Venom but not Bad Venom. May married Jameson's dad. Jameson is mayor. Parker is apparently not with MJ but for some reason they still call and talk and I guess like always Marvel wants to play the "MJ is a bitch who bosses Peter around" angle. Carlie is Perfect Fairy Girlfriend Princess and not secretly Mephisto in drag.

What struck me the most though is that I don't know how Peter finds time for it all. He's on like, 3 super hero teams apparently, plus his solo gig, plus his job, plus he has a girlfriend.

A lot of this stuff happened during the Brand New Day era.

How long do you guys think Snyder will want to write Batman and Capullo will want to be on art duties? They are on an impressive run.

If I remember right they both signed some sort of contract with DC to keep doing the book for the foreseeable future.

Pie and Beans

Fraction has bursts of goodness and then just totally peters out.

Fraction X-Men was interesting for a time. Utopia stuff for instance, but honestly all the Hope stuff left me dead cold. This is back when X-books just seemed lost in a wilderness.
Invincible Iron-Man was good for the first half, then as above, went to shit with the Detroit Steel stuff.
Hawkeye was good when it had momentum, then he started circling the houses for tons of issues and I've grown too bored of it to really care.

Then his FF run was just shit with no redeeming qualities so... the end? I haven't read Sex Criminals yet though.

They are signed on til issue 50.

I just read Daredevil which was pretty cool and I'm on board. Not much to say about the issue as it is a number 1 and pretty much an introduction. The art is not my style but it was serviceable. Waid writes well. It's amazing how you can easily spot a good writer even though the issue doesn't really stand out as being amazing. It was a solid 8.5/10.

Also read Secret Avengers and this is the first work I have read from Kot that I really enjoyed and made the art more enjoyable to look at. I'm also on board with this.

Wife read Captain Marvel and liked it so the new Marvel pull looks like this.

Superior/Amazing Spider-Man
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
Captain Marvel
Fantastic 4
Secret Avengers
Daredevil

I think that's a nice quality list.

Fraction needs to write books in the vein of isolated indie style books and not big team books.

His UXM suffered heavily from Cyke wank and had no idea of how to write any character outside of Cyke and Kurt.

His Emma and Mags was cringeworthy.

But his Hawkeye and IF is where his strength lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom