• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Hold up. There's a dude in Spider-Island whose name is Uatu. Is that an actual name that's just hilariously ironic here or is he related to The Watcher?

Hold up. There's a dude in Spider-Island whose name is Uatu. Is that an actual name that's just hilariously ironic here or is he related to The Watcher?

He's a boy genius who works with Peter. He's named after the Watcher....no relation. Which is kind of unfortunate now that you mention it

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

His folks are big FF fans, so they named the poor kid after The Watcher. His scientific specialty is making stuff to kill supernatural shit. Which just makes me weep at the wasted potential.

CorvoSol

Oh hey Peter I sold our marriage to the devil and it is certainly not the devil at work making me say that the woman who is with you instead of me, despite the fact that I loved you enough to sell reality itself to Satan for you, is "amazing."

I mean come on. It's one thing for Peter and MJ to still be friends, but this is like salt in the eyes.

Oh hey Peter I sold our marriage to the devil and it is certainly not the devil at work making me say that the woman who is with you instead of me, despite the fact that I loved you enough to sell reality itself to Satan for you, is "amazing."

I mean come on. It's one thing for Peter and MJ to still be friends, but this is like salt in the eyes.

C'mon man, if you're going to read every Spider-Man story with OMD in mind you will drive yourself insane.

I have a list!

My BuyList via Comics Day App
Subtotal: $31.93 for 9 items

VEIL #2 (MR) $3.50
ACTION COMICS #30 (DOOMED) $3.99
AQUAMAN AND THE OTHERS #1 $2.99
DETECTIVE COMICS #30 $3.99
GREEN ARROW #30 $2.99
BLACK SCIENCE #5 (MR) $3.50
REVIVAL #19 (MR) $2.99
INHUMAN #1 ANMN $3.99
MOON KNIGHT #2 ANMN $3.99

Read X-Force. Meh. Liked some things but as a majority, it wasn't the best.

Owzers

That , new nick fury, and the new 52 rebooting to make everyone younger and single despite selectively keeping continuity, are my modern grudges. I don't complain about them all the time, but I remember. Just gotta keep on reading if the book is good.

I might pick up Ultimate Spider-Man after hearing some reviews

List
VEIL #2
ACTION COMICS #30
DETECTIVE COMICS #30
GREEN ARROW #30

BLACK SCIENCE #5
PRETTY DEADLY #5
STARLIGHT #2

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN FAMILY BUSINESS OGN HC
BLACK WIDOW #5
CAPTAIN AMERICA #19
INHUMAN #1
MOON KNIGHT #2
PUNISHER #4
SHE-HULK #3

CorvoSol

Spider Island Venom 1 = WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

That THING is Captain America!!

Did not see that coming, no sir I did not.

Also, while Jackal's design initially threw me off, I'm kinda loving his really messed up character. He makes a lot of really bad jokes and he's a total Gwen Stacy stan, and that kinda makes him stick out.

Vibranium

Banned
That , new nick fury, and the new 52 rebooting to make everyone younger and single despite selectively keeping continuity, are my modern grudges. I don't complain about them all the time, but I remember. Just gotta keep on reading if the book is good.

Yeah, I'm really trying to learn to hold my grudges regarding comics back a bit hehe, sometimes I have to rant somewhere though!

SRG01

They literally say "We go forward to chart the unknown". They are literally saying they're gonna go through the multiverse making a map of some sort. This is literally the only way to interpret those events. If you don't get that this particular breed of Adaptoid are supposed to evolve into the Mapmakers, you don't know how to read.

Hey, I missed that too, but I'll blame Avengers being so boring right now that I skipped most of those details. New Avengers is 1000x more interesting.

It's a shame because I feel like I have to read Avengers for New Avengers to make sense. Otherwise I would've dropped it post-Infinity.

So I just read the Noah hardcover that Image put out the other week, and I really liked it. The art was gorgeous, and it was a solid retelling of the story that I'm sure will still piss off some of the more hardcore churchies. But it was a moving story, aside from Noah himself coming off like a real dick in a few parts.

Also, I want to order the TPB's of Brubaker's Catwoman run from IST. They put me close enough to $50 that I might as well shoot for the free shipping. So what's good that I can toss on for about $10? And no, before you say it - I already have that. ;)

I'm starting to find the TV box viewing of alternate realities in NA to be ridiculous. Hickman pls, bring your 'The Manhattan Projects' A game to the Avengers as well.

list time list time

Field #1
Caliban #1
Aquaman and the Others #1

not much time for much else. i bought some comics in that Arrow sale that i have yet to read, and a backlog that sure as shit ain't getting smaller.

I read the the start of the latest Adventures of Superman arc, written by Joe Keatinge, and it's good. never seen Brent Schoonover's art before but he's got that Golden Age style locked down. great to look at, because there's also a few Ming Doyle pages in there as well.

I was continuing to slowly work my way through my Legion Archives yesterday when I realized how much I enjoyed the two issue arcs that they tended to adopt in the early 60s runs. It left you the chance to have the last page shocker while also giving you the pages for longer form story telling. It's an art form that is in rare supply these days of 6-12 issue epics.

Messi

So I just read the Noah hardcover that Image put out the other week, and I really liked it. The art was gorgeous, and it was a solid retelling of the story that I'm sure will still piss off some of the more hardcore churchies. But it was a moving story, aside from Noah himself coming off like a real dick in a few parts.

Also, I want to order the TPB's of Brubaker's Catwoman run from IST. They put me close enough to $50 that I might as well shoot for the free shipping. So what's good that I can toss on for about $10? And no, before you say it - I already have that. ;)

Nocenti's Catwoman a great companion piece.

Any of the 3 original Harley Quinn series books.

lordmrw

I has a list

ANGEL AND FAITH SEASON 10 #1
ACTION COMICS #30
AQUAMAN AND THE OTHERS #1
EARTH 2 #22
GREEN LANTERN #30
BLACK WIDOW #5
CAPTAIN AMERICA #19
INHUMAN #1
LOKI AGENT OF ASGARD #3
MOON KNIGHT #2
NEW WARRIORS #3
PUNISHER #4
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #200
RED SONJA #8

Finished ARGUS. I really enjoyed the interplay between Killer Frost and Steve Trevor. Making Frost more sympathetic was a great move and I think she has great potential as a ARGUS Agent with Steve. The ending was not quite was I expected or hoped for but it has possibilities all its own so I'll forgive it. Crashed the landing but the flight was fun.

Superman heavy month for my votes I think. Superman/Wonder Woman and Action Comics were powerful. Not sure which I liked more. Harley Quinn #4 is probably getting a spot as the best issue yet, imo.

If you haven't read it yet read rat queens. Or look at getting the recent power girl trade

tim1138

I was continuing to slowly work my way through my Legion Archives yesterday when I realized how much I enjoyed the two issue arcs that they tended to adopt in the early 60s runs. It left you the chance to have the last page shocker while also giving you the pages for longer form story telling. It's an art form that is in rare supply these days of 6-12 issue epics.

That's because back then they weren't writing for the trade, you could do more one and two issue stories because you didn't have to worry about making it fit into a six issue paperback.

Laziness pays off! 2 friends of mine have given up on single issues and begun only tradewaiting gave me tons of single issues. Most of the past year's batman, batman and _______ , and batman inc , including 8 villains month issues, 6 of which had the absurd holopraphic covers. The marvel now ff and f4 (it seems like they gave up on ff tho). One issue of satellite sam. Some of journey into mystery w sif. Some batwoman. Some wonder woman. I think every issue of all-new xmen but this doesn't seem like the best entry point for "attempt to get into xmen part 5." There's probably a few more books I'm forgetting. I feel bad for getting these two interested in comics. Too much damn money.

I'm excited to see if zero year was actually able to rebound from death of the family's abrupt and catastrophic trainwreck ending. I'm sad that one of the few issues missing out of these chunks of comics seems to be a zero year issue.

I'm sure I'll eventually wind up buying trades of all the dc stuff anyway if it's worthwhile, though.

Sorting through a stack of floppies is just so much fun, especially with all the strange variant covers. A shame there's so much money to be saved trade-waiting. Maybe I'll subscribe to every half-decent vertigo book or something.... it makes me sad that this is probably among the most concentrated doses of power to actually vote with my dollar in any entertainment medium. Have any of the newer vertigo books been good? I know unwritten is consistently basically the greatest thing on earth, still read fables, and am buying sandman overture in singles.

If i was ghost writing, you would know about it. The book im refering to is, Inhuman.

Mutants Inhumans are going to change the Marvel
Cinematic
Universe forever.

What's the over/under on Inhumans having little to no crossover or even mention of Mutants? Gotta make dat movie script conversion easy.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Laziness pays off! 2 friends of mine have given up on single issues and begun only tradewaiting gave me tons of single issues. Most of the past year's batman, batman and _______ , and batman inc , including 8 villains month issues, 6 of which had the absurd holopraphic covers. The marvel now ff and f4 (it seems like they gave up on ff tho). One issue of satellite sam. Some of journey into mystery w sif. Some batwoman. Some wonder woman. I think every issue of all-new xmen but this doesn't seem like the best entry point for "attempt to get into xmen part 5." There's probably a few more books I'm forgetting. I feel bad for getting these two interested in comics. Too much damn money.

I'm excited to see if zero year was actually able to rebound from death of the family's abrupt and catastrophic trainwreck ending. I'm sad that one of the few issues missing out of these chunks of comics seems to be a zero year issue.

I'm sure I'll eventually wind up buying trades of all the dc stuff anyway if it's worthwhile, though.

Sorting through a stack of floppies is just so much fun, especially with all the strange variant covers. A shame there's so much money to be saved trade-waiting. Maybe I'll subscribe to every half-decent vertigo book or something.... it makes me sad that this is probably among the most concentrated doses of power to actually vote with my dollar in any entertainment medium. Have any of the newer vertigo books been good? I know unwritten is consistently basically the greatest thing on earth, still read fables, and am buying sandman overture in singles.
FBP is easily the best of the new Vertigo series and you should definifely pick it up. Dead Boy Detectives has been awesome and that Buckingham art is spectacular. Hinterkind is all right, nothing special so far.

Also, i totally agree that Death of the Family stunk, but Zero Year is excellent and is putting this Batman run back on track.

Messi

Am I too harsh on Nocenti and her Catwoman book? Is it really as bad as I think it is. I am not even sure I can judge its quality anymore. Maybe its just an average book and thats why it hurts me so much. Not the all encompassing shit show that I say it is. Brubaker has shown me that it is possible for there to be an incredible Catwoman book. Then again Nocenti is nowhere close to Brubaker.

The+devil+s+going+to+be+so+disillusioned+when+he+finds+_0d1cecee5a27a20966cac4427a7a3b95.png

NEO0MJ

Just read a little over 1/4 of the DC one million omnibus. It's a wonderful read, I loved most of the side stories, especially those dealing with 853rd century version of characters/teams.

List:

Caliban 1
Black Science 5
Moon Knight 2
Pretty Deadly 5

Really looking forward to Caliban...I need to catch up on Pretty Deadly before Wednesday to decide if I really want it.

Am I too harsh on Nocenti and her Catwoman book? Is it really as bad as I think it is. I am not even sure I can judge its quality anymore. Maybe its just an average book and thats why it hurts me so much. Not the all encompassing shit show that I say it is. Brubaker has shown me that it is possible for there to be an incredible Catwoman book. Then again Nocenti is nowhere close to Brubaker.

The+devil+s+going+to+be+so+disillusioned+when+he+finds+_0d1cecee5a27a20966cac4427a7a3b95.png

Stockholm Syndrome.

Return of Earth 2 Green Lantern!

I have not caught up with Earth 2 yet.

Mostly excited for Detective Comics with the new creative team, Green Arrow and Moon Knight.

I just started reading my Uncanny X-Force omnibus and OMG the team if characters, the art and the story so far is amazing.

I just sent my top 3. One Image book and two from Detective Comics Comics Incorporated (Although one is from Vertigo).

Anyway, this is a smaller comics week, but I'm really looking forward to it.

DARK HORSE COMICS
Veil #2

DC COMICS
Action Comics #30
Green Arrow #30
Swamp Thing #30

IMAGE COMICS
Black Science #5

MARVEL COMICS
Black Widow #5
Captain America #19
Inhuman #1