• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Actually, since I got a bunch of money back after taxes, any non-Big Two books that started in the last 2-3 months that I should check out before going on vacation and to NYC for a week(which is kinda big for me since I've never been in America and it's kinda far from Stockholm, Sweden)?

Actually, since I got a bunch of money back after taxes, any non-Big Two books that started in the last 2-3 months that I should check out before going on vacation and to NYC for a week(which is kinda big for me since I've never been in America and it's kinda far from Stockholm, Sweden)?

4 Kids Walk Into a Bank is one of the best books anyone is publishing right now

I realize this is GAF and everything is all reactionary all the time, but DC is not eating Marvel's lunch. Yes, they should have a nice sales lead in June, the month where they launched TWO separate #1s of all their marquee books. If they don't, then DC has no hope of ever catching them.

The true test will be the numbers a few months from now. DC has hopefully brought back relapsed readers who jumped ship for New 52 (I'm one of those). How many of us will be pulling their titles six months from now? That should be their focus with Rebirth.

mreddie

That 2-3 month limit doesn't help.

onhwOvX.png

Soule too, man. I swear some of these motherfuckers working in New 52 era DC were being graded on the most generous curve in existence

You do a few decent issues of Swamp Thing and everybody loses their minds

Sandfox

I should clarify I unequivocally love:
Squirrell
Howard
Spider-Gwen
Spider-Woman
Spider-Man
Iron Man(s)
All New Wolverine
Old Man Logan
Gwenpool
Deadpool
Uncanny Avengers
All New Avengers
Ultimates
Black Panther
Doctor Strange
Ms. Marvel
Thor
Daredevil.

I am actually considering going through the whole line and figuring out how many books I actually love. I think the cesspool of X-Men and Inhumans makes me think the whole line stinks when most of it is actually amazing. Iunno.

But comparing it to Rebirth, ALL is better than MOST, math-wise.
While I think DC is putting out good books I don't see how you can say the entire line is amazing when they've only released like 9 books which is less than a third of the line.
Dc is already lighting a fire under that ass.

marvel just keeps doing the same heroes against heroes bit.
the side on the right isn't getting ready to fight the side on the left this fall—but rather, to suggest who's going to be relevant after the current company-wide crossover is done.
http://www.fastcocreate.com/3061358...onso-announces-divided-we-stand-for-the-fall/
Um, how's that?

The logo itself tells you this is against the very idea of cohesion. It says "DIVIDED".

I don't care if there are forty different takes on the MU as long as they're by 40 different visionaries. These past few months have shown that marvel has like three. All the Inhumans books stink, the X-books suck. DC has realized that they can take a 60% B, 35% A List set of creators and turn out a cohesive line because there's one person's creative vision behind it. Johns changed how the entire line is developed creatively.

Marvel has never done that and never proposed to do that but it used to not matter because Remender and Hickman drove the whole line forward through sheer force of will. They're gone. Ewing and Waid are killing all their books but they aren't running shit. Bendis is still half amazing, half wack but has never been able to direct an entire line. If anyone has been given that role it's, shudder, Soule. And I like 10% of his books. (To be fair, that's like 49 comics).

Jason Aaron has been slowly walling himself off in his books so the whole thing is just sinking into the sea, now that he's the best writer they got left. Wilson is developing a great stable of writers, but then their books get their legs cut out by event fatalities.

I like MUs approach theoretically more than DCs because theoretically it leads to a more diverse stable of books. But a diverse array of garbage is still garbage. At least if there was some thought behind it all that garbage would feel like it added up to something.

This could all change if they come out and have a cohesive vision for Avengers and X-Men at least, but all the "cohesion" I was hoping for from CWII is just Ulysses popping his head in and making a prediction and then popping off to the next book.

I'll see, though, as I haven't read this week's crossovers yet.
You're assuming that "divided" means there's no vision when we in fact know nothing about the post CW2 world.
Ewing is really good but none of the ex-DC superstars they poached are cutting it except King and DC made him exclusive.
Lemire and Walker(Cyborg is a superstar in DC's eyes lol) are killing it IMO. Spencer seems to to be conflicting for people while people seem to be mixed on Soule's current output.

Spencer's Ant-Man has been pretty disappointing, I'm close to dropping it, but he's killing it on the Cap books. I really like where both of those books are going.

Lemire has been mixed. Hawkeye is a shit book. Extraordinary is pretty good. OML and Moon Knight are great.

Soule is pretty mixed too. Uncanny Inhumans is a solid title, and Daredevil seems to be recovering from its disastrous first arc. All-New Inhumans did nothing for me.

TheFlow

Banned
While I think DC is putting out good books I don't see how you can say the entire line is amazing when they've only released like 9 books which is less than a third of the line.

http://www.fastcocreate.com/3061358...onso-announces-divided-we-stand-for-the-fall/

You're assuming that "divided" means there's no vision when we in fact know nothing about the post CW2 world.

Lemire and Walker(Cyborg is a superstar in DC's eyes lol) are killing it IMO. Spencer seems to to be conflicting for people while people seem to be mixed on Soule's current output.
they are divided because of the falling out among each other. Civil war 2 is still ongoing. I don't expect a Marvel editor say anything negative about what they are doing and have planned so meh.

Benje has another good point, a lot of dc titles are ending to make wave for more rebirth. DC is setting that ass on fire which is true, but July is the true test since they are releasing part 2 of the launch. Rebirth and those hannah titles are the only thing to really compare. Comparing whats out right now.

The Fix is good so far

That 2-3 month limit doesn't help.
Hey, I haven't checked out any new books since Rebirth started and I'm excited to try new ones out that people like. A man can't survive on just DC+2 or 3 old Marvel books when he has time to read a lot.

Edit: Even Marvel is speaking about it as a fact now. We can probably drop the spoiler tags.

The Fix is good so far

Yeah, that's the only other book I can think of that just launched and has been great so far

edit: Oh! Weavers! I think I'm the only one reading this and that is a crime
edit: Also House of Penance
edit: Also also Black Road
Also possibly Hillbilly, haven't read it yet but it's been getting good reviews here.

Okay I guess there were a few ;p

a) So far, every rebirth book has been amazing, 9 or 900
b) See my follow up post about Divided that everyone ignored.

Yeah, that's the only other book I can think of that just launched and has been great so far

edit: Oh! Weavers! I think I'm the only one reading this and that is a crime
edit: Also House of Penance
edit: Also also Black Road
Also possibly Hillbilly, haven't read it yet but it's been getting good reviews here.

Okay I guess there were a few ;p
Thanks! :D

Sandfox

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=poll&id=443&view=results&msg=voted

64.2% are not excited about marvel now. yeesh.

I love how all the black heroes gathered together for James death in CAPTAIN AMERICA: SAM WILSON #10.

of course not many people liked the idea of the black heroes gathering to mourn for him without inviting Tony/cap
I saw someone using the newest issues of both Cap books in an argument to suggest that Marvel/Spencer is trying to turn us against their white character so that the black characters could "take over".

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I saw someone using the newest issues of both Cap books in an argument to suggest that Marvel/Spencer is trying to turn us against their white character so that the black characters could "take over".
White People are stupid. My fucking god. Thats so 🙄

TheFlow

Banned

sigh, the comments are even worse mane. Moderators had to step in on comicbook sub reddit.

I support marvels changes as long as it makes sense.

That's incredibly fucking dumb and such arguments shouldn't even be given the time of day

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I'm going to go just past your 2-3 month limit so feel free to ignore me.

Monstress is up to #6
I Hate Fairyland is up to # 6
Cry Havoc is up to #6
Paper Girls is up to #6

All well worth your time.

Sandfox

sigh, the comments are even worse mane. Moderators had to step in on comicbook sub reddit.

I support marvels changes as long as it makes sense.

That's incredibly fucking dumb and such arguments shouldn't even be given the time of day

This is why I don't read the comments on certain comic sites anymore. I like seeing the diversity push going on from both Marvel and DC, but the first reactions online are toxic.

It's really weird to me that so many seem to judge how things are going at Marvel and DC based on the hype they can generate from their line refresher marketing things. Like the only thing that matters is new books. I like long runs that take their time and build towards interesting things. So fuck these refresh stunts. What excites me is more Cap from Nick Spencer and more Thor from Jason Aaron. Sure, it's fun to see these new books from DC, but there's no substance to first or second issues. They're always exciting unless they just completely shit the bed, because they're so full of promise. It's so easy for first issues to be exciting hat I don't get too excited off a good launch. I don't give a shit until it's two years down the line and those promises are being delivered on. That's when you'll see me singing the praises of something. Old, reliable books aren't exciting, but they're what I'm here for.

No Power Man and Iron Fist? For shame!
That book's portrayal of Jessica Jones is so shitty.

I'll be picking up the new books this weekend after/during work(I work at one of the big cinemas in Stockholm and have it all to myself due to only 1 cashier being needed during the summer.

@Brian: Following two of them but will check out I Hate Fairyland and Paper Girls!

@Cap: Didn't Spencer encourage his twitter followers to harass his critics which ended up causing multiple people to get death threats?

New Landis book.

Sandfox

It's really weird to me that so many seem to judge how things are going at Marvel and DC based on the hype they can generate from their line refresher marketing things. Like the only thing that matters is new books. I like long runs that take their time and build towards interesting things. So fuck these refresh stunts. What excites me is more Cap from Nick Spencer and more Thor from Jason Aaron. Sure, it's fun to see these new books from DC, but there's no substance to first or second issues. They're always exciting unless they just completely shit the bed, because they're so full of promise. I don't give a shit until it's a year down the line and those promises are being delivered on. Old, reliable books aren't exciting, but they're what I'm here for.

That book's portrayal of Jessica Jones is so shitty.

I haven't gotten to the two latest issues for some dumb reason, but I remember someone in this thread saying they liked how Jessica was written in comparison to the earlier issues.

arkon

I'm also reading Weavers. I'll read anything with Spurrier's name on it. Anything.

I can also confirm 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank is good based off of issue 1.

Hellers

First world problems.

I have an iPad Air. It's amazing for reading comics. DRM free stuff (God bless you Humble bundles and 2000AD subscription) I use Comicglass and I also have Comixology for my DRMd stuff.

The problem I have is that it's too big to carry around. No problem. I have a Nvidia Shield Tablet. Shit fast and a lovely screen size. The problem is Android fucking sucks for data storage.

Let me explain. My Shield has two areas of storage. 16gig internal and a 64gig SD card. For my non-drmed stuff this is fine. I just create a directory on the sd card, copy the files over and tell ComicRack where to look. Comixology however has no way to save its data to anywhere but internal storage. I've asked them a number of times but currently there's no word on if or when a feature like this would be added. Given the amount of Android tablets that are on the market with only limited internal storage this is pretty bad. It wouldn't even be so much of an issue if my Comixology downloads weren't so utterly dog slow. Even on our blazing fast internet at work download speeds are pitiful. If downloads were nice and speedy I'd just store less CMX comics locally. A regular occurance (No matter IOS or Android) is I queue up a load of CMX comics to download and when I come back later find the download has just hung part way through. This happens over and over again as I fight to get my stuff downloaded. Kindle downloads (Even of comics) work perfectly.

There is one solution. Android Marshmallow has adoptive storage. You format the SD card to be used as internal memory. The downside? It cripples the speed of your tablet.

Grrr. Makes me almost long for paper again

How large is a mini screen? I've been very happy with the image quality on my Kindle Fire (I have the largest model) and those are much cheaper. Sucks for spreads but it's hard to find a good tablet for spreads outside of the very best iPads.

I agree that storage is a problem though, and it sucks because yeah CMX downloads are fucking slow. Still, I typically only keep one issue per book on my tablet. I don't have the same issue with downloads hanging as long as I make sure the device stays awake.

I just carry a bag. I don't ever want to be without my iPad, and it's nice to have space to always have your charge cables and headphones and everything at all times. Got my 2DS in there too.

Hellers

How large is a mini screen? I've been very happy with the image quality on my Kindle Fire (I have the largest model) and those are much cheaper. Sucks for spreads but it's hard to find a good tablet for spreads outside of the very best iPads.

I agree that storage is a problem though, and it sucks because yeah CMX downloads are fucking slow. Still, I typically only keep one issue per book on my tablet. I don't have the same issue with downloads hanging as long as I make sure the device stays awake.

I think the Mini is going to be my ultimate solution. Not yet though. I need to save up for a PSVR :)

I try keeping my devices awake and see if that makes any difference. Cheers

arkon

First world problems.

I have an iPad Air. It's amazing for reading comics. DRM free stuff (God bless you Humble bundles and 2000AD subscription) I use Comicglass and I also have Comixology for my DRMd stuff.

The problem I have is that it's too big to carry around. No problem. I have a Nvidia Shield Tablet. Shit fast and a lovely screen size. The problem is Android fucking sucks for data storage.

Let me explain. My Shield has two areas of storage. 16gig internal and a 64gig SD card. For my non-drmed stuff this is fine. I just create a directory on the sd card, copy the files over and tell ComicRack where to look. Comixology however has no way to save its data to anywhere but internal storage. I've asked them a number of times but currently there's no word on if or when a feature like this would be added. Given the amount of Android tablets that are on the market with only limited internal storage this is pretty bad. It wouldn't even be so much of an issue if my Comixology downloads weren't so utterly dog slow. Even on our blazing fast internet at work download speeds are pitiful. If downloads were nice and speedy I'd just store less CMX comics locally. A regular occurance (No matter IOS or Android) is I queue up a load of CMX comics to download and when I come back later find the download has just hung part way through. This happens over and over again as I fight to get my stuff downloaded. Kindle downloads (Even of comics) work perfectly.

There is one solution. Android Marshmallow has adoptive storage. You format the SD card to be used as internal memory. The downside? It cripples the speed of your tablet.

Grrr. Makes me almost long for paper again

I'm in more or less the same position except the downloads work for me, which is weird because we don't have a particularly good internet connection. I suspect it's because I mostly stick to single issues on comixology. So I can queue stuff up and when I've finished reading one issue the next one is usually done and so on. Also tend to delete once I'm done. That does the trick for me.

It is annoying though and if I ever upgrade again I'll go for the tablet with the most internal storage available.

Hellers

It is annoying though and if I ever upgrade again I'll go for the tablet with the most internal storage available.

That's becoming a serious issue in the Android market. Manufacturers seem to be preferring to ship with very low amounts of internal and expecting it to be made up with aftermarket sales of SD cards which unfortunately for Comixology users is the worst of both worlds.

Top Bottom