• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

I would feel less bad about the state of Marvel is there was a single DC Rebirth comic I read that was better than "that was ok...ish...I guess".

ElNarez

Banned
oh, I should've added: 350k so far, first printing

as a follow-up, though: who in them has the energy to give a fuck about a Marvel Comics relaunch today?

I think Green Gunman is supposed to be Solo, one of those 90s mercs with pockets everywhere and guns who helped out Spider-Man sometimes

367.jpg

so that's an encouraging character to bring back

Moved across country for a new job. Live 500m from a comic store. There goes all that extra money.

New Midnighter and Apollo series announced. Happy fucking days. Huge Authority fan. Have all the trades at home from years but caught sight of them in the store today, what brilliant creative teams that book had.

Moved across country for a new job. Live 500m from a comic store. There goes all that extra money.

New Midnighter and Apollo series announced. Happy fucking days. Huge Authority fan. Have all the trades at home from years but caught sight of them in the store today, what brilliant creative teams that book had.

is 500m close?

america-wise?

kmfdmpig

Batman, Arrow and Wonder Woman are honestly the best books in Rebirth so far. Superman is okay. Flash is eh.

Green Arrow has been very good. Aquaman has been solid as well.

500 meters = 1/2 a kilometer
1 kilometer = .62 miles (1 mile = 1.61 kilometers)
So 500 meters = .31 miles.

Hellers

I'm trying my best to read the first volume of the Spidey Clone saga but it's not making it easy. Jesus wept it's awful. Terrible dialogue, a plot that makes zero sense and oh the angst.

I did enjoy Squirrel Girl this week though. So all is well.

E the Shaggy

Wow, I don't think I've ever been so bored with Marvel and I lived through Secret Invasion.

I mean Slapstick and Gwenpool are the "next big thing"? Fucking seriously?

Um, how's that?

The logo itself tells you this is against the very idea of cohesion. It says "DIVIDED".

I don't care if there are forty different takes on the MU as long as they're by 40 different visionaries. These past few months have shown that marvel has like three. All the Inhumans books stink, the X-books suck. DC has realized that they can take a 60% B, 35% A List set of creators and turn out a cohesive line because there's one person's creative vision behind it. Johns changed how the entire line is developed creatively.

Marvel has never done that and never proposed to do that but it used to not matter because Remender and Hickman drove the whole line forward through sheer force of will. They're gone. Ewing and Waid are killing all their books but they aren't running shit. Bendis is still half amazing, half wack but has never been able to direct an entire line. If anyone has been given that role it's, shudder, Soule. And I like 10% of his books. (To be fair, that's like 49 comics).

Jason Aaron has been slowly walling himself off in his books so the whole thing is just sinking into the sea, now that he's the best writer they got left. Wilson is developing a great stable of writers, but then their books get their legs cut out by event fatalities.

I like MUs approach theoretically more than DCs because theoretically it leads to a more diverse stable of books. But a diverse array of garbage is still garbage. At least if there was some thought behind it all that garbage would feel like it added up to something.

This could all change if they come out and have a cohesive vision for Avengers and X-Men at least, but all the "cohesion" I was hoping for from CWII is just Ulysses popping his head in and making a prediction and then popping off to the next book.

I'll see, though, as I haven't read this week's crossovers yet.

Though I agree with you in the broad sense, I do feel your garbage comment is unfair to a lot of Marvel's solo book, especially those under Wil Moss. David Walker, Ryan North, Chelsea Cain and Hopeless (on Spider-woman, I don't read them filthy mutants) are putting in the work. I do agree a line wide marketing hook would benefit a book like Spider-Woman, but "Divided" doesn't seem to be it.

That said, I'm not sure what the line wide hook of DC is outside of calling a mulligan. It's strange to praise the strong editorial hand of Johns when a) he was also the strong editorial hand back when the new 52 started b) is leaving to help with the DCCU. That's not to say I'm looking forward to diving into Rebirth. Prez made me a huge fan of Benjamin Percy, but I'm worried DC might be leaning too hard on him. He's got like 4 books in the line.

Also in other news, this last two parter in Unbeatable Squirrel Girl may be the funniest comics ever. Straight up.

squadr0n

What all comes with the Marvel Unlimited Annual Plus? Does anyone here have it and if so was it worth the extra $30?

Do you get extra read offline spaces? That is pretty much what I really want.

Are there any active Coupon Codes for MU, IST, or anywhere else for Omnis/Trades?

That said, I'm not sure what the line wide hook of DC is outside of calling a mulligan.

Also in other news, this last two parter in Unbeatable Squirrel Girl may be the funniest comics ever. Straight up.

"Conservative" seems to be the big hook

Also good post about Squirrel Girl, Marvel's best comic

tim1138

That said, I'm not sure what the line wide hook of DC is outside of calling a mulligan. It's strange to praise the strong editorial hand of Johns when a) he was also the strong editorial hand back when the new 52 started b) is leaving to help with the DCCU. That's not to say I'm looking forward to diving into Rebirth. Prez made me a huge fan of Benjamin Percy, but I'm worried DC might be leaning too hard on him. He's got like 4 books in the line.

I hate to be that guy, but I guess I will.

The New 52 was very much the brainchild of Didio and Lee, Johns was not a fan of scrapping the legacy of the DCU. As an executive he obviously couldn't speak publicly against when it launched, but he was much more open while doing press for Rebirth, stating he felt the N52 was directionless and he found it hard to care about the characters he wasn't writing. I know a lot of people don't like his writing, but the man is a living, breathing DCU encyclopedia. There is no better person to have spearheaded a relaunch whose purpose was to restore the lost legacy than Johns.

Mark Russell wrote Prez, not Ben Percy. Percy did a short stint on Detective and the widely panned DCYou Green Arrow run. Which is why it's so remarkable that the new book is so good. His only other announced book is Teen Titans, which doesn't launch until September.

Mindwipe

What all comes with the Marvel Unlimited Annual Plus? Does anyone here have it and if so was it worth the extra $30?

Do you get extra read offline spaces? That is pretty much what I really want.

No, the service is identical. You just get a discount on buying issues and some physical merchandise (a few variant covers, a Rescue toy, a pin badge etc).

I would settle for them making the twelve read offline spaces they've already got work. I am honestly fairly sure at the moment that the Android app cannot deal with issue #2s. They never work offline.

I hate to be that guy, but I guess I will.
Mark Russell wrote Prez, not Ben Percy. Percy did a short stint on Detective and the widely panned DCYou Green Arrow run. Which is why it's so remarkable that the new book is so good. His only other announced book is Teen Titans, which doesn't launch until September.

Jesus...Thanks for the correction. I have no idea why in my head Benjamin Percy wrote Prez. Alright, I just want another book by Mark Russell, so get on that DC.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
No, the service is identical. You just get a discount on buying issues and some physical merchandise (a few variant covers, a Rescue toy, a pin badge etc).

I would settle for them making the twelve read offline spaces they've already got work. I am honestly fairly sure at the moment that the Android app cannot deal with issue #2s. They never work offline.
Just imagine Netflix would work that bad

tim1138

From Issue #1.

On one hand, it wasn't necessary. On the other hand, yes it was.

Oh right, my mind immediately jumped to the newest issue.

Jesus...Thanks for the correction. I have no idea why in my head Benjamin Percy wrote Prez. Alright, I just want another book by Mark Russell, so get on that DC.

No problem. I hope that didn't come across as antagonistic, because that was not the intention at all. I just hate seeing folks with bad or misinformation, it's like the one part of my job that has seeped over into my personal life.

Mindwipe

Just imagine Netflix would work that bad

Amazon Prime Video makes it work, as do lots of other offline services.

It's not easy - I know, I built a VOD service with offline downloads and it's a pain in the arse to get it right, but MU has been a shambles for far too long.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with the sentiment that I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be excited about in that Marvel Nah teaser. The whole heroes working against each other thing has been done and wasn't very interesting the first time and that lineup on the left is snore central.

I don't usually mind Marvel's reboots because they usually lead to enough things I enjoy, but this one, coming out of an event that hasn't proved to be anything special, just makes me more annoyed than excited.

Oh right, my mind immediately jumped to the newest issue.

No problem. I hope that didn't come across as antagonistic, because that was not the intention at all. I just hate seeing folks with bad or misinformation, it's like the one part of my job that has seeped over into my personal life.

Not antagonistic at all. Really appreciate it. Now I'm hunting down the brain cells that betrayed me and waterboarding them with alcohol on a Thursday late morning.

In Squirrell Girl realted news, Oliver Sava at AV Club is doing a big writeup on Squirrel Girl tomorrow.

VanWinkle

I honestly don't care about Marvel at all. I just happen to like a decent amount of their books, characters, and their movies. I don't care about the Marvel Universe, with their constant events and crossovers and nonsense.

Top Bottom