• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

GRdjkMG.jpg

This is a big month for comics! DC begins its relaunch titled Rebirth which is aimed to focus on their core titles and to rebuild what has been lost with the New 52. Marvel also continues on with Civil War II which is their biggest event since the last one! This month also sees the return of popular indie books like Casanova and Paper Girls along with the end to the legendary series Hellboy!

This month's books and words are brought to you by veteran member and tumblr user: ElNarez!
SgbIrjD.png

DtUFSVo.jpg

Civil War II #1, by Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez (June 1st) - It's Iron Man versus Captain Marvel with the fate of the Marvel Universe at stake! (probably) Sides will be picked! Heroes will fall! Books will be pulled into tie-ins of questionable interest! It begins here!

Ultimates #8, by Al Ewing and Kenneth Rocafort (June 8th) - As if things weren't already gonna be messed up because of that whole Civil War II thing, Thanos shows up, more pissed and nihilistic than ever! Are the Ultimates gonna be torn apart physically AND metaphorically? Who knows?

Vote Loki #1, by Langdon Foss and Christopher Hastings (June 15th) - Just in time for election season, here comes Loki, ready to make America great again! Why? How? Could he even run, considering I'm pretty sure that this incarnation of Loki was born in France? I don't know but hey, can't get any more stupid than actual politics. Most ElNarez book of the month!

qaugsEU.png

PXU02FE.jpg

Batman #1, by Matt Banning, David Finch and Tom King (June 15th) - Former public sector worker Tom King starts a new era of Batman! Also David Finch is there, so calm down. There's a new hero in town, and his goal? To save the city from the Dark Knight!

Wonder Woman #1, by Greg Rucka and Liam Sharp (June 22nd) - When the lasso of truth stops working, Diana must confont dark secrets from her past. Get ready to have everything you know about the Amazons challenged once again as Greg Goddamn Rucka returns to Wonder Woman, along with Future Superstar Liam Sharp!

Wacky Raceland #1, by Leonardo Manco and Ken Pontac (June 8th) - hahahahaha what is even happening here is that even for real, what the fuck look at that Muttley I'm pretty sure he's gonna bite someone's face off what is that mad max shit doing in wacky races

Pj1YPNh.png

o3tFoHr.jpg

Casanova: Acedia #5, by Matt Fraction, Fabio Moon, Gabriel Ba and Michael Chabon (June 1st) - Casanova is back! I don't remember much about the previous four issues, but I think there's a death cult, and the world might be ending, and it all ties into the secret history of E.M.P.I.R.E.. Feel free to correct me.

Lazarus #22, by Michael Lark and Greg Rucka (June 15th) - Lazarus is also back! It's still the future, and there's still fifteen obscenely rich families in an uneasy alliance controlling the world. It's time for a cull. Which is good, because that's the name of the story.

Paper Girls #6, by Cliff Chiang and Brian K. Vaughan (June 1st) - Paper Girls is back, almost as if it was a theme or something! Same team, same girls, new adventures. We're not in the late eighties anymore. No one is ready.

KXpsLLu.png

Voe8FCu.jpg

Hellboy in Hell #10, by Mike Mignola and Dave Stewart (June 1st) - This is where it ends. Hellboy becomes what he was meant to be. The landscape of Hell is changed. I'm assuming. I'm not big into Hellboy. Sorry. SERIES FINALE!

Weird Detective #1, by Fred Van Lente and Guiu Vilanova (June 15th) - Sebastian Greene is a detective in New York City, protecting the world from the unimaginable horror of the Old Ones from beyond space and time. Here's the thing though: Sebastian Greene is one of them. It's a weird new miniseries from Fred Van Lente y'all!

Cryptocracy #1, by Van Jensen and Pete Woods (June 29th) - Secrets! Time! Shadows! Conspiracies! Van Jensen! Pete Woods! Revelations! These solicits give me nothing to riff on! Sorry!

7XkluQw.png

NE9B8Z7.jpg

TMNT: Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything #1, by Ben Bates and Duestin Weaver (June 1st) - Bebop and Rocksteady come across a time-travel scepter. And then, well, I mean, come on, look at the title, it's not that hard to put it together, you can do it.

Action Man #1, by John Barber and Paolo Villanelli (June 22nd) - Action Man is basically the European equivalent of the G.I. Joe toy line, except it's less military and more super-spy stuff. He fights a guy named Doctor X. Just watch one of the many commercials from my very early youth. You'll get it. I don't even know if it's about the toy actually.

Tales from the Darkside #1, by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez (June 15th) - Locke & Key co-creator Gabriel Rodriguez illustrates four scripts from the attempted reboot of the "classic" "horror" "anthology" "series".

e1ZbXE9.png

HjhxHOY.jpg

Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy #1, by Chynna Clugston-Flores and Rosemary Valero-O'Connell - Get ready for HIJINKS, MISADVENTURES and generally cute times as two series about pre-teens learning about the world and each other collide, in a crossover that no one thought would happen despite it making total sense!

The Sixth Gun #50, by Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt (June 15th) - Things look desperate for John Sixth, as the Seventh Gun threatens to destroy the very balance of the world. How do you kill a gun? Can the world handle more than six guns at a time? All we be revealed in the final issue of a book I have obviously never read.

James Bond #7, by Warren Ellis and Jason Masters (June 15th) - A SPECTRE ghost cell wakes up, and James Bond can't abide by that, because, come on. Things get blowed up good, I bet.

G159DJG.png

New to comics? Check out Zombine's Start Up Guide!
Help support my name is ed! His comic Rage Against the Jackal is available digitally on Comixology!
Also keep an eye out for Bish's upcoming comic Savage Empire featuring art by Jim Roy Jimenez!
Check out The Gamma Gals created by Figboy79!

Members in ComicsGAF are expected to follow the NeoGAF TOS just like everyone else. I know it can be hard, but try and be excellent to your fellow members guys.

SPOILERS: Use common sense and please, mark your spoilers! If you must post a spoilery panel or a page from a comic (recent or otherwise), please link to them with a proper spoiler warning. Everyone has different levels of spoiler tolerance, so please try to be courteous and mark your spoilers. DON'T be that person. Please at least allow one week before posting unmarked spoilers. We had quite a few unmarked Rebirth and Captain America spoilers last month which just isn't fair.

Last month, echoshifting posted a list of female-led comics that will serve as a great entry point for anyone looking to get into the medium!

Comic book legend, Darwyn Cooke, passed away last month. Many fans adored his art across a variety of titles such as The New Frontier, Parker, and Catwoman. He will be greatly missed.
yvuIppP.jpg

The Manhattan Project YESSSSS we made it fam

And Darwyn Cooke tribute

Applause, applause

Wacky Raceland #1, by Leonardo Manco and Ken Pontac (June 8th) - hahahahaha what is even happening here is that even for real, what the fuck look at that Muttley I'm pretty sure he's gonna bite someone's face off what is that mad max shit doing in wacky races

lmao well I guess I have to buy this

edit: hey my female character post made the op! Aw I'm flattered.

Ah that new thread smell.

GROWIN' UP READING COMICS
WITH THE TURTLES, X-MEN AND SONIC
IT HARDLY ENTERS YOUR MIND
THAT THERE'S SOMETHIN' BETTER THAN THIS
But New Thread Power!
A PHOTOSHOP & WORDS DELIGHT!
New Thread Power!
YEAH THAT'S WHAT MAKES US FEEL ALRIGHT!

That TMNT sale everyone said was coming needs to hurry up!

ElNarez

Banned
RIP Superman #1 losing out to Wacky Raceland.

It's not "losing out", it's just it's way easier to goof on Wacky Raceland than it is to explain the new Superman status quo in a snappy way, in case new readers show up and want to see what's hot.

Sandfox

It's not "losing out", it's just it's way easier to goof on Wacky Raceland than it is to explain the new Superman status quo in a snappy way, in case new readers show up and want to see what's hot.

I was joking, because I don't really care for Superman.

Skip to volume three when Johns actually started writing (it's widely speculated that Lee ghost wrote the first year) and the quality starts to pick up.
That makes a lot of sense. The book read like there were plot points or moments that it had to hit and then wobbled its ass from plot point to plot point

Oooh, Weird Detective looks interesting. I should have included Van Lente in my "must try everything" list. I've read three books from him and loved all three.

Marvel above DC in OP even in Rebirth month.

YsFaEJz.png

mreddie

Oooh, Weird Detective looks interesting. I should have included Van Lente in my "must try everything" list. I've read three books from him and loved all three.

Marvel above DC in OP even in Rebirth month.

YsFaEJz.png

Rebirth gonna be dumb anyways, even in light of Civil War Duh

JTripper

Batman Rebirth #1 and ASM #13 for me tomorrow. Tom King pls bring the goods.

Might pick up some of the other Rebirth issues depending on how I feel and if reviews/impressions are good online.

June OT in May?!?

WHAT IS HAPPENING

I WAS NOT EMOTIONALLY PREPARED FOR THIS OUTCOME

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALP

No Valiant in the OP. I was lied to.

YsFaEJz.png

On the plus side, this happened!

Oooh, also, GA/Lumberjanes! WE IN IT NOW.

Oh, and Batman Rebirth, which might interest some people but certainly not me, no sir.

Boogiepop

Okay, on that big bulky comixology sale: Green Lantern is a known (and read, at least to a decent degree I guess) quantity for me thanks to the Johns omnibi, and I know enough on Batman. But is anything from the Green Arrow or Superman stuff worth grabbing? Also, on the Batman, I'm planning on... something waiting those (Absolute, maybe, for maximum niceness). But are they leading meaningfully into anything worthwhile that I could read up to date on (IE anything coming out of Rebirth), or are they pretty much done with and I don't need to hurry to read the stuff I haven't yet?

Sandfox

Okay, on that big bulky comixology sale: Green Lantern is a known (and read, at least to a decent degree I guess) quantity for me thanks to the Johns omnibi, and I know enough on Batman. But is anything from the Green Arrow or Superman stuff worth grabbing? Also, on the Batman, I'm planning on... something waiting those (Absolute, maybe, for maximum niceness). But are they leading meaningfully into anything worthwhile that I could read up to date on (IE anything coming out of Rebirth), or are they pretty much done with and I don't need to hurry to read the stuff I haven't yet?

Lemire's Green Arrow run?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My pulls for the month of June....

Autumnlands #13
The Beauty #8
Birthright #16
Black Road #3
Cry Havoc #6
East of West #27
The Fix #3
I Hate Fairyland #6
Lazarus #22
Manifest Destiny #20
Mirror #2
Nailbiter #22
Paper Girls #6
Revival #41
Shutter #22
Tokyo Ghost #8
The Walking Dead #155
The Wicked + The Divine #20

MG310

Having played only about an hour and only as one character I'm going to nominate Zarya for best Overwatch lady. (Also MG310 on PSN)

I'm all about that Reinhardt/Mercy life.

Wish I didn't suck quite so badly as Hanzo, but I find myself getting rushed and destroyed in close quarters.

Sandfox

I think Tom King is started to get annoyed with the CIA stuff online lol.

Looks like that's included there, yeah. Is that all worth it? And is any of the rest of the New 52 Green Arrow stuff at all worth it, I guess?

I haven't read it, but I don't think people were fall too fond of the other stuff.

Looks like that's included there, yeah. Is that all worth it? And is any of the rest of the New 52 Green Arrow stuff at all worth it, I guess?

Basically just get Lemire's run, and then focus on the extraordinarily pretty pictures. The story is okay, but Sorrentino's work there is what makes the book.

That and Emiko, I guess.

Top Bottom