• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Riverdale is a TV Bomba.

Archie Comics right now

simpsons-awkward-collar-pull-o.gif
Ratings weren't good?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
but I thought people would go for dark/edgy/sexy archie???

It's important to keep in mind that good ratings for CW aren't the same as good ratings for other networks. Hell, they're bringing Crazy Ex-Girlfriend back for a third season when other networks wouldn't have given it a third episode.

It's important to keep in mind that good ratings for CW aren't the same as good ratings for other networks. Hell, they're bringing Crazy Ex-Girlfriend back for a third season when other networks wouldn't have given it a third episode.

Even on CW getting a .4 for your first episode is pretty damn bad. Riverdale would have to stay flat for here on out, or even go up a tick, to get renewed.

Ross61

Didn't the president or CEO of CW already say that they would keep a showing going on just because of great reviews. Don't think we have a problem really.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Even on CW getting a .4 for your first episode is pretty damn bad. Riverdale would have to stay flat for here on out, or even go up a tick, to get renewed.

Definitely not ideal, no. But a 0.4 on CBS would mean that we never heard about the show again. On CW it'll be fine for a while, because of this:

Didn't the president or CEO of CW already say that they would keep a showing going on just because of great reviews. Don't think we have a problem really.

And the fact that it retained so much of Supernatural's audience. That's a big deal for a new show.

I work for a cable network, I know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Think they've said that they care more about other things than ratings. I think it was on some TV podcast with Allen Sepinwall and Dan Fineberg that isn't around anymore that they basically explained they have some kind of metric that they're going on that no one really seems to know. Sometimes it can be awards, sometimes deals like Netflix or sometimes it's stuff like advertising, but they said guessing on what they will cancel and keep is hard to predict.

Which I'm thankful for with something like Crazy Ex-Girlfriend or Jane The Virgin.

I wanna say it came up around the time where something like their Beauty and the Beast show got renewed with shit ratings and some show got cancelled(maybe Tomorrow People?) with better ratings.

Dark Horse library editions are so good. I still need to get those ones, though. Just a big cost.
I think you'll really love the series when you get to it. All of the short stories mixed with the longer arcs are fantastic.
Back from travels! Can read comics again...

Will push batman v9 Bloom to the bottom of the pile. The first couple of issues were dire. Next three reads will be

Black Widow v1
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur v1
Black Panther v1

With this, I think I can push my MU resub to later in the year.
I need to catch up on Black Widow but I really liked what I read. Samnee is at the top of his game in it.

Someone's review of Ether. A part about the lettering that jumped out at me:
Unfortunately, Rubín also letters the dialogue himself. It’s fine, perfectly readable (if occasionally disrupted by a barred “I”, inevitably a product of hastily cut and pasted dialogue from the script word doc), but it’s a symptom of a more widespread assumption that as long as you can read the dialogue and it fits in the word balloon, a letterer’s job is done. I know comics are getting harder and more time consuming to produce every day, and that the revenues of all the artisans involved have ever-shrinking margins, so if you can cut out someone from the proceedings, it’s more money for the people who are left. I certainly don’t begrudge Kindt or Rubín for wanting to maximize their revenue. But it’s disappointing to see it done at the cost of a key component of the artform. Comics dialogue should be more than readable, it should be as carefully considered as everything else on the page.

It's Birdie review.

Vyer

I need to stop reading the news. This Trump shit is getting insane.

it's best to step away from it from time to time. it's only been a week lol

...am i remembering incorrectly freeza, but weren't you really not feeling one way or the other about trump but really disliked clinton back during the election? maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

I need to stop reading the news. This Trump shit is getting insane.

Today on the way home two women pointed at me and one of them said I was "so straight white male it sickens me." They thought I didn't hear, but oh yeah, I heard.

In IRELAND.

"Clowns to the left of me.
Jokers to the right.
Here I am, stuck in the middle with EU."

Messi

Today on the way home two women pointed at me and one of them said I was "so straight white male it sickens me." They thought I didn't hear, but oh yeah, I heard.

In IRELAND.

"Clowns to the left of me.
Jokers to the right.
Here I am, stuck in the middle with EU."

Just perfect.

it's best to step away from it from time to time. it's only been a week lol

...am i remembering incorrectly freeza, but weren't you really not feeling one way or the other about trump but really disliked clinton back during the election? maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

I wasn't crazy about either one. Neither one was what I would call a viable candidate. The thing is that Trump has since only surrounded himself with more idiots and yes-men, which only compounds the problem. He's trying to run a country like a business. The US is almost done with its heel-turn. We Axis powers now. :(

Something interesting happens everyday now.

You mean horrifying. I mean, Trump having his tiny hands Photoshopped is a legit news story.

IN 2017.

Retailers talk relaunches. They wish Marvel did a Rebirth pretty much. They have done so many renumberings that readers start to see new #1's as jumping off points instead of jumping on spots.

As a fan, this is where I'm at right now. The last time I was pulling so few books, I was not reading comics at all. It depresses me. It's fun to be armchair pundits and say "Well they do it because it sells." but how much of that is to speculators and people who'd buy it anyway even if it was blank or glued together with dog doo? What is the floor for a Batman or Amazing Spider-Man book?

It honestly depresses me. Part of me feels like I'm finally growing out of these books, and that only depresses me more. Yeah, I like Image and stuff but it's not the same, at least not to me.

Sandfox

As a fan, this is where I'm at right now. The last time I was pulling so few books, I was not reading comics at all. It depresses me. It's fun to be armchair pundits and say "Well they do it because it sells." but how much of that is to speculators and people who'd buy it anyway even if it was blank or glued together with dog doo? What is the floor for a Batman or Amazing Spider-Man book?

It honestly depresses me. Part of me feels like I'm finally growing out of these books, and that only depresses me more. Yeah, I like Image and stuff but it's not the same, at least not to me.

Relaunches are a necessary "evil" for modern mainstream comics. We'll see what happens in the future though.

Top Bottom