• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

Zombine

Banned

And that's all I have to say about that.

giphy.gif

LProtag

Alright, so I started a Comixology free trial to look at some vol 1 trades to start thinking about making a pull list at my local shop. I'm looking to follow ~5-8 comics or so, and here's what I'm looking at so far:

Maybe:
Bitch Planet
Black Science
Casanova
Deadly Class
Rat Queens
Southern Bastards
Lazarus
The Manhattan Projects

In Progress:
East of West
Sex Criminals

Pull List:
Paper Girls
Saga

Basically stuff in my pull list is what I've caught up on, stuff in my in-progress is what I've started catching up on, and stuff in my maybe is what I'm going to look at the first few issues of. Anything I should add to the list or look at first from my maybe list?

Obviously I'm not super into cape stuff, but I did enjoy Hawkeye, and I read all of Ultimate Spider-Man a long time ago.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Alright, so I started a Comixology free trial to look at some vol 1 trades to start thinking about making a pull list at my local shop. I'm looking to follow ~5-8 comics or so, and here's what I'm looking at so far:

Maybe:
Bitch Planet
Black Science
Casanova
Deadly Class
Rat Queens
Southern Bastards
Lazarus

The Manhattan Projects

In Progress:
East of West
Sex Criminals

Pull List:
Paper Girls
Saga

Basically stuff in my pull list is what I've caught up on, stuff in my in-progress is what I've started catching up on, and stuff in my maybe is what I'm going to look at the first few issues of. Anything I should add to the list or look at first from my maybe list?

Obviously I'm not super into cape stuff, but I did enjoy Hawkeye, and I read all of Ultimate Spider-Man a long time ago.

I vote for the bolded!

LProtag

I vote for the bolded!

I'm pretty sure I can get the trades of East of West through my library, and after having read the first volume I'm like 80% sure I'll add it to my pull list.

I'm waffling around about which of the ones in my maybe list to start the first volume of.

TheFlow

Banned

Maybe:
Bitch Planet
Black Science
Casanova
Deadly Class
Rat Queens
Southern Bastards
Lazarus
The Manhattan Projects

In Progress:
East of West
Sex Criminals

Pull List:
Paper Girls
Saga

Saga

East of west

Deadly class

The rest is just filler to hold you till those 3

mreddie

Marvel Now 2016 is confusing as fuck and more importantly awful name

Shattered Dreams

Marvel has a lot of good female characters, so I don't understand why they are so committed to the infinite vacuum that is Carol Danvers

I've heard people say "Well, you can't do Kamala unless you do Carol first," but is that really true? Carol is never gonna be Ms. Marvel anyway

Edit: lol I like how the answer to the second question is the pictured character

The moment Edgar Wright dicked around with Janet not being in Ant-Man and the movie rights of X-Men and Ike being a dick about Black Widow, yeah, that's how we got here. And then Bendis thought she would fit into CW2.

Sean C

I was reading Wonder Woman #15 and was extremely confused by it, before gradually realizing that for some reason my comics store never set aside Wonder Woman #13 for me, so there's a good reason for that.

Also, Saga #42 --
now that's a pretty merciless ending, and it's hard to imagine the Gwendolyn character coming back from that.

Vibranium

Banned
Marvel Now 2016 is confusing as fuck and more importantly awful name

And "All-New, All Different" as well as "All-New Marvel Now". Who comes up with this stuff? Axel Alonso's son?

Speaking of which, I really hope Marvel get an new EiC in the next few years. They need someone to come up with better event formats and book organization for the line.

Zombine

Banned
And "All-New, All Different" as well as "All-New Marvel Now". Who comes up with this stuff? Axel Alonso's son?

Speaking of which, I really hope Marvel get an new EiC in the next few years. They need someone to come up with better event formats and book organization for the line.

They won't learn until something dramatic happens. Companies are almost always reactive.

Nudull

Banned
Marvel could use a Rebirth-style relaunch. Give equal room for the classics alongside the more diverse options, and a decent and balanced amount of books, so everyone walks away happy.

Marvel could use a Rebirth-style relaunch. Give equal room for the classics alongside the more diverse options, and a decent and balanced amount of books, so everyone walks away happy.

Marvel is too afraid to let go of the status quo to attempt something like that. They looked like they had something with All-New All-Different, but the books pretty much fell right back into the same routines within a couple arcs.

Sandfox

Marvel is too afraid to let go of the status quo to attempt something like that. They looked like they had something with All-New All-Different, but the books pretty much fell right back into the same routines within a couple arcs.

Not from what I've seen. I may be forgetting about some books though.

Also, wouldn't a Rebirth style relaunch be moving closer to the status quo, while ANAD and some parts of Marvel Now were moving away from it?

Alright, give it to me straight folks, are Batgirl and Batgirl co-starring Birds of Prey worth reading?

I skipped that whole Burnside run and I hear this might be more of that...?

ElNarez

Banned
I mean the new arc of Batgirl seems to be about Burnside turning to shit because of gentrification, and to do that it introduces
the Penguin's son as a techbro
, which is about as On Point as it gets.

Today on the way home two women pointed at me and one of them said I was "so straight white male it sickens me." They thought I didn't hear, but oh yeah, I heard.

In IRELAND.

"Clowns to the left of me.
Jokers to the right.
Here I am, stuck in the middle with EU."
Because that helps everything
Ah, lighten up. I'm only messing.

And it could be worse. It could be Zenescope.

The first step to bringing back the glory days of ComicGAF is getting back the guy who posted his list in picture form and 90% of it was Zenescope and old Archie books.

Also the guy who asked for hentai and wasn't even subtle about it. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=141093070#post141093070
The only Zenescope book I ever read was Death Squad, which had the main character's pregnant wife getting brutally raped and murdered in front of him because they needed to be bad guys and he needed to be angry enough to come back from the dead and be a good guy.

I didn't read past #1.
people praising a Scott Lobdell book is heck of suspicious
I know right?

Alright, give it to me straight folks, are Batgirl and Batgirl co-starring Birds of Prey worth reading?

I really enjoy Birds of Prey. It's fun book, though it seems like it can't really find it's tone. Sometimes it's very light, and other times it's dark, but it never quite seems to find a good balance and ends up coming off a bit tone deaf. That and some of the panel work is choppy. Like, it feels like shit just happens, though there's enough context to know why it happens.

Every time I re-read Azzarello's WW run I like it more and more.

I'm not even that mad about the amazon rape stuff and Aleka's bitch ass anymore.

Nudull

Banned
Every time I re-read Azzarello's WW run I like it more and more.

I'm not even that mad about the amazon rape stuff and Aleka's bitch ass anymore.

Does it actually legit improve as it goes on? Azzarello himself has been side-eye worthy as of late, but people have praised that book up and down.

Does it actually legit improve as it goes on? Azzarello himself has been side-eye worthy as of late, but people have praised that book up and down.

I'm up to issue #15 and I personally feel it has. Azzarrello's usage of WW's supporting cast (specifically the greek gods) is really well done imo, though I do remember my interest at the end of his run slacking somewhat in my last re-read. The First Born business just got boring.

Nonetheless his run is part of my WW trinity with Rucka's first run and George Perez taking the other two spots. William Messner-Loebs' run deserves an honorary mention but it starts going steeply downhill when Diana manages to locate Themyscira tbh.

kmfdmpig

RHatO is the biggest surprise of Rebirth after Green Arrow.

It is a big surprise, considering the writer.
For me though, Superman's main title becoming a top-tier book for the first time in my lifetime is an even bigger surprise.

It's not terrible, but not special at all. If you haven't read the original run of Birds of Prey (at least through the end of Simone's run) then that's definitely much much better than what we're getting now.

bronson

What comic sites do y'all read these days? The big ones I used to be into (CBR, Newsarama, ComicsAlliance) seem like PR feeds.

mreddie

None. But CBR does get the news fast. (Wonder why?)

Meanwhile, sucks GLA is ending but what a shock, Marvoo barely promoted the damn thing.

VanWinkle

It is a big surprise, considering the writer.
For me though, Superman's main title becoming a top-tier book for the first time in my lifetime is an even bigger surprise.

The only reason that wasn't a big surprise to me was because it was Tomasi and Gleason. I knew there was a very good chance it would be great.

shingi70

Banned
Just Newsarama and Cbr and that's mostly when solictations are out.

I dont really know if any comics websites that do long form features or op Ed's.

VanWinkle

Finished Alex + Ada Complete Collection. It was good. I just feel like it could have been soo much better with good art. I felt like the art did such a disservice to it.

Top Bottom