• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| January 2017 This is the Dawning of the Age of Apocalypse

UQk5j11.png

omg thank you!!!

ElNarez

Banned
Riverdale is a show that I hate because it looks like I've forgotten my glasses except I didn't and this is Blur Hell World.

TheFlow

Banned
Are we going to have a betty vs veronica waifu and best/worst girl wars. It would be entertaining if we do.
I don't think this is that type of community to debate over best girl.

We do have some posters who will fight you over certain characters though

The one that got delayed? Pfft, we're more likely to see one when The Button crossover starts or when Injustice 2 finally release some Flash gameplay.

(I'm waiting on KH2.8 and Y0 to both install before I go to sleep)
Fuuuuck I forgot those dropped. And here I am, still playing Bloodborne. And this is why gaming lost me.
Been working my way through a bunch of stuff on Marvel Unlimited. What are some "required reading" events or runs that don't require bouncing between five books just to keep up with the plot?

Spider-verse and Original Sin were good for this to me. AvX and Fear Itself, not so much.
There is no "required" reading. That said, do you want some short runs or something long and meaty?

Riverdale is a show that I hate because it looks like I've forgotten my glasses except I didn't and this is Blur Hell World.
tumblr_inline_n5o2dp4y0b1r75tzg.gif

Fuuuuck I forgot those dropped. And here I am, still playing Bloodborne. And this is why gaming lost me.

There is no "required" reading. That said, do you want some short runs or something long and meaty?

tumblr_inline_n5o2dp4y0b1r75tzg.gif
Let's just say I was really happy to get a paycheck the same week my bank sent me the money for some old stock I had in a company that got bought out. I'm fine with games now until NieR, Injustice 2 and KH1.5+2.5. :)

Vibranium

Banned
Resident Evil Final Chapter: Who would have thought the last film would be shit the same week the games got good again.

Well, now is the perfect time to reboot the movies. Full on Resident Evil set in the Spencer mansion, directed by a good director with a better script. Make it like the original Alien movie. Or just redo Raccoon City and follow the storyline closer to tie in with the game remake. Just no Alice crap and have Claire/Leon team up.

I still think Capcom should license out RE to comics again, even though all of the past ones (Wildstorm, etc) weren't great. A lot of potential for a horror comic.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well, now is the perfect time to reboot the movies. Full on Resident Evil set in the Spencer mansion, directed by a good director with a better script. Make it like the original Alien movie.

Or just redo Raccoon City and follow the storyline closer to tie in with the game remake. Just no Alice crap and have Claire/Leon team up.

RE7 is already a mishmash of various horror movies, and as a game it works as a homage, as a movie it would just be a rip off.

Vibranium

Banned
RE7 is already a mishmash of various horror movies, and as a game it works as a homage, as a movie it would just be a rip off.

Well, yeah the series as a whole has always been B-movie tier, inspired by horror flicks. I'm not saying to do a RE7 movie. Just shift the tone of the movies towards tension and more horror.

Anyways, I am reading more of Hydra Cap. It's decent, but I would love for a few years where Steve is not killed, brainwashed or loses his powers.

I feel like DC is struggling closing stories and seems too worried about setting up the next thing rather than spending time having a good conclusion. It's starting to be a trend.

JL vs SS

This final issue of the event seems so forced and fast that it makes the whole event seem backward constructed even more than it already seemed.
The fact that it comes down to Lobo, Batman and Frost being the only ones not taken control of just seems hokey. Especially the fact that Eclipto could have taken all of them as soon as he came about but he said he had no interest in the SS when he had the JL. Which I guess can be answered by Eclipto not completely taking over yet, but to have them all taken, excluding those three, immediately after just makes it all seem hokey and just to lead to JLA.

I think that stuff only largely annoys me because I like a lot of this issue. Pretty much everything except the conclusion aspect.

Action Comics

Kind of the same story with Action Comics, but it was less that it was rushed and more that it was just boring and anti-climactic. "Hey uhhh quit looking into his future and look at mine." Ok, done. What?! ZZZzzzzzZZzz

Curse Words

I feel like I'm being all negative this morning, but damn did I not get all the love for this book I was seeing last week. I didn't dislike it, but I just didn't find it all that funny or even interesting.

Doom Patrol 4

Read this issue a second time and I just have to go back into it.
The idea of Danny as a brick being used to beat people to death as Jane huddles on the ground scared and the guy taking pictures of the dead bodies is so goddamn unsettling. Also that cassette player location in Fugg was grooooooosssssss.

Love this book.

dan2026

When did Constantine become a poor mans Doctor Strange?

I feel like dc have no idea what this character is supposed to be anymore.

God Deathstroke was eloquent as all hell. Still a good as hell book.

Does everything wrap up nicely at the end of the arc(s)? I read the first three issues and I seemed to have more questions than answers as I was reading. I liked it, but at the same time, I was kind of like "what exactly is going on?"

Timo

Dan Clowes is so fuckin good. Just read Mister Wonderful, great little book. Ive read 3 or 4 things by him now, all quality. Hes at least in my top 10 for quality creators. Dan Pussey was a great collection lampooning comic culture (which i cant get enough of that, Etingville Club by Dorkin was good for that too).

Does everything wrap up nicely at the end of the arc(s)? I read the first three issues and I seemed to have more questions than answers as I was reading. I liked it, but at the same time, I was kind of like "what exactly is going on?"

No, the newest issue was a completely separate single issue story which made me like it even less because it interrupted an already convoluted and confusing overly long story.

Im so tempted to get all the hellboy comics for me and the kids (for when they grow up) but man is it both hard and expensive. The library editions are sold out and those babies are cheaper than the trades, also, the trades are not easy to find either. The ocassional one being gone.

Come on dark horse, let me give you money. Like, just give me a "HELLBOY PACKAGE DEAL"

Im so tempted to get all the hellboy comics for me and the kids (for when they grow up) but man is it both hard and expensive. The library editions are sold out and those babies are cheaper than the trades, also, the trades are not easy to find either. The ocassional one being gone.

Come on dark horse, let me give you money. Like, just give me a "HELLBOY PACKAGE DEAL"
Same. :)

Never posted my new non-digital books from yesterday:
Is a Book 4 on the way for the Flash or should I seek out older collections later?

If you're in the US, you can get the first two LEs off of InStockTrades and the rest off of Amazon. Dark Horse does a good job at keeping them in print.

They are a bit pricey but they are so worth it. Out of all of my books they are by far the nicest ones I own. The book has large dimensions, the pages are really thick, and the binding is good too. They feel like premium books.

Alternatively, if you just want to try out the universe without dropping so much money, I'd recommend looking into the Hellboy and the BPRD 1950s series. It's a book set in the past and very self-contained. There are trades out for 1952 and 1953 right now.

VanWinkle

If you're in the US, you can get the first two LEs off of InStockTrades and the rest off of Amazon. Dark Horse does a good job at keeping them in print.

They are a bit pricey but they are so worth it. Out of all of my books they are by far the nicest ones I own. The book has large dimensions, the pages are really thick, and the binding is good too. They feel like premium books.

Alternatively, if you just want to try out the universe without dropping so much money, I'd recommend looking into the Hellboy and the BPRD 1950s series. It's a book set in the past and very self-contained. There are trades out for 1952 and 1953 right now.

Dark Horse library editions are so good. I still need to get those ones, though. Just a big cost.

Back from travels! Can read comics again...

Will push batman v9 Bloom to the bottom of the pile. The first couple of issues were dire. Next three reads will be

Black Widow v1
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur v1
Black Panther v1

With this, I think I can push my MU resub to later in the year.

Top Bottom