• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNET: Interview with PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan

49996480302_215e4b707a_k.jpg

Q: Talk me through the design of the PS5 and the look you showed off today.

Ryan: For us, tonight was important because we wanted to demonstrate that what we're doing with PS5 really represents a quantum leap over the current generation. And the intent was to have the games do that for us...

Q: The disc version will also obviously offer backwards compatibility with those old discs too.

We said that the PS5 has been designed to play PS4 games. We're going through the process with the publishers and developers testing that rather exhaustive library of over 4,000 games. We're happy with the progress that's been made.

Q: What's the difference between the all-digital PS5 and the standard one? Obviously there's a disc, but are you focusing on more storage?

As you saw, there is a small difference in the form factor of the two consoles. I'm sure you also observed, the basic design aesthetic is consistent between them. So there is that and the fact that the digital edition does not have a disk drive. That is it. Other than that, they are identical products.

We're just acknowledging here that as time passes our community is becoming more digitally orientated. In the first quarter of this year, two thirds of new games purchased were digitally downloaded. People increasingly, as they are with their music and their video, they prefer digital and we want to recognize that.

On the camera, am I buying that separately? And what's going on with your PSVR virtual reality headset?

All that we have said to date, and we're not adding to it tonight, is that the current PlayStation VR is compatible with PS5. The camera that we demonstrated tonight will be available as a peripheral, it will not be in the box at launch.

This interview confirms that the digital version will be identical to the standard model with the exception of the Blu-Ray disc drive. That means no bigger storage for either model as some have speculated.

Matt_Fox

No difference in storage between disc and digital models... I presume they wont be releasing a premium version with more storage as they did with previous PlayStations.

Objectively I don't think they demonstrated the games are a "quantum leap" over this current gen. In fact, TLOU2 and Ghost Of Tsushima really rivalled and in some cases exceed what we saw yesterday.

No difference in storage between disc and digital models... I presume they wont be releasing a premium version with more storage as they did with previous PlayStations.

Objectively I don't think they demonstrated the games are a "quantum leap" over this current gen. In fact, TLOU2 and Ghost Of Tsushima really rivalled and in some cases exceed what we saw yesterday.
Ratchet & Clank demonstrated what the SSD can do when going through different portals/worlds with no load times. That's about the only thing I've noticed that's "next gen" besides the lovely graphics on the first party games shown.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

I think both look better than anything we saw yesterday if I'm being honest. But that actually gives me hope.

I mean they can't go backwards at this point.

Ratchet & Clank demonstrated what the SSD can do when going through different portals/worlds with no load times. That's about the only thing I've noticed that's "next gen" besides the lovely graphics on the first party games shown.
They missed an opportunity to have the GT7 reveal start on the map, have them move around to the different sections like they did to show off the parts etc, then go start a race and have it load up in a couple seconds.

Honestly the only thing they missed out on in general during that presentation is that they didn't convey the SSD enough. I mean it was mostly trailers so I guess that's how it would have to be, but still.

Aidah

I guess It'll be $50 cheaper or so. I don't see why it would have more storage anyway, i mean a disc version isn't going to save you any storage space, you still have to install the game.

yurinka

If you watch the 4K version of the videos you'll see that Horizon, Ratchet or GT7 are way beyond of what we have now: almost instant teleport between insanely detailed stages, raytracing reflections and stunning lighting, insane detail... we only saw a small glimpse of the first generation of games for the console and there was already many things we couldn't have before.

Obviously they'll need to learn and practice to take full advantage of the console as always, adapting more their engines to take more advantage of the new stuff that the new console offers. Things we'll start to see probably in the second generation of games for the console.

This is wihout considering stuff they didn't have time to show there properly like the almost instant loading of games, haptic feedback, adaptative triggers, 3D audio, stuff that may come from the OS like AI hints, guides, personal assistant, being able to load the game directly in a specific mission skipping menus, etc.

I'm pretty confident that this will be the biggest generation leap we'll have since PS started.

I guess It'll be $50 cheaper or so. I don't see why it would have more storage anyway, i mean a disc version isn't going to save you any storage space, you still have to install the game.
I bet it will be:
Normal PS5: $499
Discless PS5: $479

They will be selling the consoles at a loss, and the disc drive should cost like $10 or $15. I wouldn't expect a $50 cut.

Last edited:

Entroyp

I don’t agree with the quantum leap comments (at least not from what I’ve seen so far) and also the implications of both versions being the same price.

Other than that I’m ready to pre-order.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They will be selling the consoles at a loss, and the disc drive should cost like $10 or $15. I wouldn't expect a $50 cut.

It's not about the disc drive price. Sony will give consumers a decent discount on digital-only boxes because it means the people using them aren't contributing to the used game market any more.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
the portal section was the loading screen, a very small loading screen. also if you watch the video there is a slight pause after the portal each time. the game looks insane though

Aidah

If you watch the 4K version of the videos you'll see that Horizon, Ratchet or GT7 are way beyond of what we have now: almost instant teleport between insanely detailed stages, raytracing reflections and stunning lighting, insane detail... we only saw a small glimpse of the first generation of games for the console and there was already many things we couldn't have before.

Obviously they'll need to learn and practice to take full advantage of the console as always, adapting more their engines to take more advantage of the new stuff that the new console offers. Things we'll start to see probably in the second generation of games for the console.

This is wihout considering stuff they didn't have time to show there properly like the almost instant loading of games, haptic feedback, adaptative triggers, 3D audio, stuff that may come from the OS like AI hints, guides, personal assistant, being able to load the game directly in a specific mission skipping menus, etc.

I'm pretty confident that this will be the biggest generation leap we'll have since PS started.

I bet it will be:
Normal PS5: $499
Discless PS5: $479

I'm not "expecting" anything in particular in terms of price difference. I would imagine though digital edition is preferable to them since their store will be the retailer for every game you buy, so I don't think a $50 is out of the question.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
the portal section was the loading screen, a very small loading screen. also if you watch the video there is a slight pause after the portal each time. the game looks insane though

Literally 2 seconds between entirely different playable worlds is still ridiculous and couldn't be done on current gen. I think people are really underestimating that demo because it looks pre-rendered thanks to no UI.

Yeah I caught the slight delay in the portal between worlds but it was so miniscule that I let it slide lol

Going to watch the video again to see what you mean about the slight pauses.

Blond

Banned

This is what I was going to say, I personally would love a remastered God of War 18 that would get rid of the ridiculous "fast travel"

AV

This is what I was going to say, I personally would love a remastered God of War 18 that would get rid of the ridiculous "fast travel"

Oh god I forgot about the circular hallway of loading. I get what they were doing but it got old fast.

yurinka

It's not about the disc drive price. Sony will give consumers a decent discount on digital-only boxes because it means the people using them aren't contributing to the used game market any more.
The SKU with disc drive it's already being sold at a loss. Not sure how much more they will be able to cut for a discless SKU. If being generous the disc drive is like $10-$15, then remove maybe $2 in plastic and related stuff, to remove $20 from the final price would be a good effort for them.

I think it's more related to the aesthetics and to acknowledge the fact that digital games are becoming more and more important. And also an effort for trying to have a slightly cheaper sku, a sign of that the normal SKU will be maybe too expensive for many people ($499 according to my prediction).

AV

The SKU with disc drive it's already being sold at a loss. Not sure how much more they will be able to cut for a discless SKU. If being generous the disc drive is like $10-$15, then remove maybe $2 in plastic and related stuff, to remove $20 from the final price would be a good effort for them.

I think it's more related to the aesthetics and to acknowledge the fact that digital games are becoming more and more important. And also an effort for trying to have a slightly cheaper sku, a sign of that the normal SKU will be maybe too expensive for many people ($499 according to my prediction).

I don't believe it would even be worth it to them to bother making two for a $20 difference. It's about getting people into digital. They're going to give people more of an incentive than $20 for that. Microsoft gave them $50, right?

The amount of money Sony will make from one average customer in the long run by forcing them to buy directly from their digital market and not eBay will be greater than the money they lose on a discless box, no contest.

yurinka

I don't believe it would even be worth it to them to bother making two for a $20 difference. It's about getting people into digital. They're going to give people more of an incentive than $20 for that. Microsoft gave them $50, right?
Microsoft made the $50 cut on an old console that wasn't being sold at a loss. It's a very different case. Sony is doing it at launch, in a very different point of the generation where the console components still didn't highly reduce their cost.

Last edited:

AV

Microsoft made the $50 cut on an old console that wasn't being sold at a loss. It's a very different case. Sony is doing it at launch, in a very different point of the generation where the console components still didn't highly reduce their cost.

While it's a good point regarding when the boxes are coming out comparatively, again, the actual component cost is moot. A higher discount on the digital only version is Sony saying, come on over, join the revolution, save fifty bucks. They're not here to make money on hardware, they're here to get people in.

Kyle Bosman just made a good point on YouTube, the disc version is considerably uglier. The discless is symmetrical and sleek and doesn't look like it's got a tumour growing out of the top. I'd be stunned if it was only $20 more.

Arkam

If the optical drive and shape is the only difference then I don’t expect a price difference. Also a place to make up little of the loss over all by saving a few bucks on each digital version (which will be a big seller)

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah I caught the slight delay in the portal between worlds but it was so miniscule that I let it slide lol

Going to watch the video again to see what you mean about the slight pauses.
did u notice it? just after each portal section?

Cobenzl

They missed an opportunity to have the GT7 reveal start on the map, have them move around to the different sections like they did to show off the parts etc, then go start a race and have it load up in a couple seconds.

Honestly the only thing they missed out on in general during that presentation is that they didn't convey the SSD enough. I mean it was mostly trailers so I guess that's how it would have to be, but still.

That was shown in the demo. They go from the map, through car selection into the race selection screens.

Starts around 1:52

Agent X

Q: The disc version will also obviously offer backwards compatibility with those old discs too.

We said that the PS5 has been designed to play PS4 games. We're going through the process with the publishers and developers testing that rather exhaustive library of over 4,000 games. We're happy with the progress that's been made.

They should have also asked about backward compatibility with other Sony systems besides the PS4. This was a great opportunity for someone in the media to put the question to him, and they totally missed it.

They should have also asked about backward compatibility with other Sony systems besides the PS4. This was a great opportunity for someone in the media to put the question to him, and they totally missed it.
Probably wouldn't have been answered anyway since they haven't said anything official in regards to it themselves. In other words, they'd prefer to open up about that themselves the to have it answered during an interview. Typical PR fashion.

Bartski

Gold Member
I've never yet had the pleasure of being in a situation where we've had this much software of such quality at this stage prior to the launch.

What bugs me is there is still no information about what is going to be available at launch. The article only points at Spider-man which turns out to be an expansion/DLC type of thing to the original, cool I played that the hell out of it in 2018.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

Glad to know that im not the only one who noticed this. When Ratchet goes into a rift, there's a few seconds before he comes out of the rift and to me, that's a loading screen. Looks cool and whatnot but still a loading screen.

If the optical drive and shape is the only difference then I don’t expect a price difference. Also a place to make up little of the loss over all by saving a few bucks on each digital version (which will be a big seller)

Why would anyone buy the digital version if the price was the same? People are not THAT stupid. There’s no downside to having that disc drive you know.

Glad to know that im not the only one who noticed this. When Ratchet goes into a rift, there's a few seconds before he comes out of the rift and to me, that's a loading screen. Looks cool and whatnot but still a loading screen.
We complaining about 2 seconds now? Lol and this is at the beginning of next gen so imagine what they'll be able to do 1-2+ years from now with that SSD. Sub second, easily.

Banned

it had load times tho. he got teleported into some void with almost nothing in it in between these worlds.
so the transition between worlds was not instantaneous. it had at least 1 second of loading time masked by that void

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
We complaining about 2 seconds now? Lol and this is at the beginning of next gen so imagine what they'll be able to do 1-2+ years from now with that SSD. Sub second, easily.

It's just funny because all I keep reading and hearing about is the SSD. Don't tell me. Show me. Ratchet should go into the rift and immediately come out into a brand new world. That would impress me. Five second hidden load screen, not so much. Game itself looks amazing and by far the most impressive game of the showcase.

it had load times tho. he got teleported into some void with almost nothing in it in between these worlds.
so the transition between worlds was not instantaneous. it had at least 1 second of loading time masked by that void
Read my post above this one.

Arkam

Why would anyone buy the digital version if the price was the same? People are not THAT stupid. There’s no downside to having that disc drive you know.
Aesthetics. The digital one looks much better. And if someone went all digital on PS4, or didn’t own one it makes sense.

Banned

well I'm not complaining about it. it's just that you said it had no loading times, which is factually wrong.
it has load times, even if they are only 1 to 2 seconds long.

Last edited:
It's just funny because all I keep reading and hearing about is the SSD. Don't tell me. Show me. Ratchet should go into the rift and immediately come out into a brand new world. That would impress me. Five second hidden load screen, not so much. Game itself looks amazing and by far the most impressive game of the showcase.
Wait, now it's 5 seconds. I literally JUST counted 2. Heck, even if it was 5, that's something we can't do now so it SHOULD impress you, no? But yeah, it's 2 secs, not 5 lol and as I said, it'll get better with time. With each new gen the learning dev curve decreases and as Cerny talked about in his tech talk, we'll definitely see devs taking advantage of these next gen goodies sooner rather than later. We can't expect everything to be 100% from the start of the gen, it's never like that.

What I'm saying is, if they can do 2 secs now in that particular game then it's safe to assume they can and will do sub second transitions.

Last edited:

Yeah plus upgrading the storage would mean they'd have to double it and that would cost a lot more than removing the disc drive saves. I'm hopeful that MAYBE it'll actually be $100 cheaper because all of the games will have to be digital purchases and they get a bigger cut from the 3rd party titles that way than they do from physical discs. I'm expecting $50 cheaper but hoping for $100.

Sounds like they're keeping VR very close to the chest. Not even talking about the differences or advantages of the new HD camera means something is coming...

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
49996480302_215e4b707a_k.jpg

Q: Talk me through the design of the PS5 and the look you showed off today.

Ryan: For us, tonight was important because we wanted to demonstrate that what we're doing with PS5 really represents a quantum leap over the current generation. And the intent was to have the games do that for us...

Q: What's the difference between the all-digital PS5 and the standard one? Obviously there's a disc, but are you focusing on more storage?

As you saw, there is a small difference in the form factor of the two consoles. I'm sure you also observed, the basic design aesthetic is consistent between them. So there is that and the fact that the digital edition does not have a disk drive. That is it. Other than that, they are identical products.

We're just acknowledging here that as time passes our community is becoming more digitally orientated. In the first quarter of this year, two thirds of new games purchased were digitally downloaded. People increasingly, as they are with their music and their video, they prefer digital and we want to recognize that.

On the camera, am I buying that separately? And what's going on with your PSVR virtual reality headset?

All that we have said to date, and we're not adding to it tonight, is that the current PlayStation VR is compatible with PS5. The camera that we demonstrated tonight will be available as a peripheral, it will not be in the box at launch.

This interview confirms that the digital version will be identical to the standard model with the exception of the Blu-Ray disc drive. That means no bigger storage for either model as some have speculated.
Jim Ryan....

I stop reading to this point.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well I only say that because we didn't actually see gameplay of Horizon. I'm sure it'll be amazing but I wanna see it in action first.

I bet it will look the same as the trailer. It did this gen when they introduced this way.

R&C looked pretty fire as well. One thing I noticed in the 4K versions that stand above this current gen. The impeccable IQ and jaggy free aliasing.

Last edited:

Agent X

Probably wouldn't have been answered anyway since they haven't said anything official in regards to it themselves. In other words, they'd prefer to open up about that themselves the to have it answered during an interview. Typical PR fashion.

You have a point, but I still think the interviewer should've asked anyway. It certainly wouldn't have hurt to try. If Mr. Ryan wanted to avoid answering this question now (for PR reasons), he could simply say that they'll reveal more information at a later time.

The problem with so many of these types of interviews in the video game industry is that they merely lob "softball" questions just to get enough material to fill up the page. I'd like to see some challenging, hard-hitting journalism every now and then. These sites had no qualms writing editorials complaining about the lack of backward compatibility on PS4, or their mismanagement of "PS2 classics for PS4", yet they repeatedly fail to pose these questions directly to industry executives (either Sony, or third-party publishers) whenever they are afforded that opportunity.

Top Bottom