• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Climate Model Predicts West Antarctic Ice Sheet Could Melt Rapidly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicer

Banned
Read it earlier. We're fucked guys. Time to accept it. No one will bat an eye with these news, you'll still have politicians denying global warming even with their feet wet with ocean water.

I feel kind of hopeless for the world today.

I think many blame the baby boomers for the financial capabilities of millennials.

But it's only the coastlines, plenty of land left...

Maybe we have a climatologist on GAF that can answer this question for me:

Greenhouse gases getting trapped is the cause of the increase in temperatures. In the 80's we had a hole in the Ozone layer due to CFC usage and there was concern that it would lead to global cooling. We banned CFC's and the hole closed up. Could we hypothetically go back to using CFC's and the hole created in the Ozone layer would allow greenhouse gases to escape, reversing global warming?

Am i stupid for thinking about this?

I think the main concern about the ozone hole was everyone getting skin cancer by all the UV light flooding in. At least it was down in Australasia.

Pachinko

Read it earlier. We're fucked guys. Time to accept it. No one will bat an eye with these news, you'll still have politicians denying global warming even with their feet wet with ocean water.

This is already happening in certain areas of florida today ! Kind of horrible , by the time I die I imagine at least a couple cities in the southeastern US will be inundated by the time a kid born today dies, living on the coast will be little more than a memory.

NH Apache

Banned
Yeah, that sure worked well for New Orleans

speaking of which

welp, bye New Orleans. And Bay Area, And South Florida, And NYC, And Seattle.

That had nothing to do with our issue in New Orleans. 2 meter rise puts Nola under water, assuming instant flooding. We already have the infrastructure in place to survive it.

One off the reasons we are sinking at our current rate (an inch or so a year in places) is because we keep drying out the ground below us by pumping out this excess water. The city commissioned a study on how to live with water, and it's a cool thing.

Here's the link: http://livingwithwater.com/

People treat this like it's the end all, but delta cities have been living like this for centuries and are continuously getting better at it.

And yet many of us will drive alone to work/wherever in SUVs tomorrow.

If humans really cared, wouldn't we have restructured society in a way to seriously reduce waste emissions?

It feels like we keep whining but don't really care.

We had a thread here on GAF a few years ago. It was something like "would you rather travel 100 years into the past or 100 years into the future?" I pointed out 100 years into the future would be horrible due to climate change and among other things. People asked me if I came from the future.

Melon Husk

LBiRfQm.png

bye guys

almost made it
You will build a wall, and have the ocean pay for it!

That had nothing to do with our issue in New Orleans. 2 meter rise puts Nola under water, assuming instant flooding. We already have the infrastructure in place to survive it.

One off the reasons we are sinking at our current rate (an inch or so a year in places) is because we keep drying out the ground below us by pumping out this excess water. The city commissioned a study on how to live with water, and it's a cool thing.

Here's the link: http://livingwithwater.com/

People treat this like it's the end all, but delta cities have been living like this for centuries and are continuously getting better at it.

It was a relatively poor joke. Still, I know you have some the infrastructure to deal with gradual rising sea levels, but what happens when (not if) there's another major hurricane? Does this plan address that? And also, where will the state/city get the money? Federal grants? Because I don't see the state getting out of its financial predicament any time soon.

It's also kind of difficult to navigate that site. It's somewhat poorly designed.

Jonm1010

Banned
And yet many of us will drive alone to work/wherever in SUVs tomorrow.

If humans really cared, wouldn't we have restructured society in a way to seriously reduce waste emissions?

It feels like we keep whining but don't really care.

This is true but it really misses the mark of where to focus blame. Any one person is not going to do shit in terms of mitigating the damage by cleaning up their individual carbon footprint.

A problem like this is why we have governments, because a problem like this absolutely requires coordinated action on a national and international level to be effective. This is not a problem that can be left up to anything but the highest possible powers capable of pushing large scale change.

PowderedToast

i mean surely the powers that be can't be content with the looming collapse of modern civilization. i read an interesting article (can't source it right now) that equated climate change to a contemporary form of western colonialism and global power dynamics. that i wholeheartedly believe, but this isn't just going to affect less developed countries. you can't control CC. the rich can only profit and maintain power if money still means something, right? we have to start fighting this at some point.

i mean surely the powers that be can't be content with the looming collapse of modern civilization. i read an interesting article (can't source it right now) that equated climate change to a contemporary form of western colonialism and global power dynamics. that i wholeheartedly believe, but this isn't just going to affect less developed countries. you can't control CC. the rich can only profit and maintain power if money still means something, right? we have to start fighting this at some point.

Everyone who is currently in power will be dead before this starts to become a noticeable problem.

The time to do something about this was 40 years ago.

It's WAY too late now, we're down 10 runs going into the 9th. It's over, turn the lights off on your way out.

I just hope my sons generation gets through it.

Everyone who is currently in power will be dead before this starts to become a noticeable problem.

Baby boomers literally killed us all.

Worst generation in world history.

This is true but it really misses the mark of where to focus blame. Any one person is not going to do shit in terms of mitigating the damage by cleaning up their individual carbon footprint.

A problem like this is why we have governments, because a problem like this absolutely requires coordinated action on a national and international level to be effective. This is not a problem that can be left up to anything but the highest possible powers capable of pushing large scale change.

You mean the powers that fucked it up in the first place right?

Unfortunately, i'd estimate about 95% of ALL top politicians worldwide care about things like re-election, power, money etc. first before they'd tackle things like climate change. They'll gladly use these subject matters to get votes IF it suits them at that particular moment, but ACTUALLY doing something with it after coming into power? It's neither desirable NOR possible because a whole host of other systemic entities (congress, lobbies, multinational corporations etc.) are there to prevent true change in favor of ever growing profits.

The only slim chance we have is that somehow, someday someone figures out how to actually make VASTLY MORE profits on a mass scale using a model of renewable energy than the current system in place. By then, it may well be too late for a good part of humanity though...

Xe4

Banned
Maybe we have a climatologist on GAF that can answer this question for me:

Greenhouse gases getting trapped is the cause of the increase in temperatures. In the 80's we had a hole in the Ozone layer due to CFC usage and there was concern that it would lead to global cooling. We banned CFC's and the hole closed up. Could we hypothetically go back to using CFC's and the hole created in the Ozone layer would allow greenhouse gases to escape, reversing global warming?

Am i stupid for thinking about this?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Ozone isn't the number one greenhouse gas. Hell, it's not even the number two. Those are, by far, water vapor and CO2. Ozone comes in at #3 or #4, because while it is a potent greenhouse gas it is in very small concentrations.

On top of that any good getting rid of the ozone layer will have with regards go AGW (very little), will be outweighed by the insane rise in skin cancer deaths brought on by the loss of ozone blocking far UV light. Because the ozone loss now is mostly over the Arctic and Antarctica, due to the very cold contitons there, but to have any sort of effect on climate changd it would have to be more or less gone everywhere, which would be disastrous.

NH Apache

Banned
It was a relatively poor joke. Still, I know you have some the infrastructure to deal with gradual rising sea levels, but what happens when (not if) there's another major hurricane? Does this plan address that? And also, where will the state/city get the money? Federal grants? Because I don't see the state getting out of its financial predicament any time soon.

It's also kind of difficult to navigate that site. It's somewhat poorly designed.

We don't have some infrastructure, we've been building it for well over a hundred years. Your tone and intrepid lack of interest in actual discussion and data show that you just wanted to make a drive by.

In case you actually wanted to read up on all the questions you shitposted above, they are all in the site I gave you. I will link directly to the reports since you have an inability to work the internet:

http://livingwithwater.com/blog/urban_water_plan/reports/

Specifically, the urban water plan: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/c...qWLWSyygK6Q5VAnUMNy6n4IBHmdZM9Sq2uZottx8/file

Design: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vdd13nzdxgdqxv/GNO Urban Water Plan_Urban Design_23Oct2013.pdf

Implementation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3938pl4vhd9ywi/GNO Urban Water Plan_Implementation_03Oct2013.pdf

There are more reports in the first link, not that you'll read them.

dabig2

Baby boomers literally killed us all.

Worst generation in world history.

This is a fire that they didn't start, but they certainly helped stoke those flames after the 70s and ignored the blaze in pursuit of wealth. We'll see if the younger generations will be better at course correcting this shit after boomers have relinquished all of their power and authority. So give it another 15-20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom