• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski: "Just got a text from my lawyer about... LawBreakers. Stay tuned."

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Yeah. It was a well made shooter. I think the other issue was it came at a time where free to play was starting to pick up. If it launched F2P with better marketing it could have really done well imo.
That's exactly why people were "rooting for it to fail". They simply wanted to play the game without having to buy it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
He's a bit cringe but I also do feel bad for the guy. He got rich based on his own talent and drive, started a company with that money, then it just completely fucked him.

I don't get much of a thrill out of watching him still wrestling with the situation online and talking about how it depressed him.

bender

What time is it?
He's a bit cringe but I also do feel bad for the guy. He got rich based on his own talent and drive, started a company with that money, then it just completely fucked him.

I don't get much of a thrill out of watching him still wrestling with the situation online and talking about how it depressed him.

Hopefully he still has money. Fame is weird and everyone handles it differently.

Run-M-Run

I don't understand why he just didn't do an unreal clone. I'm certain it'd have faired better than what they offered. I liked Lawbreakers from the little I played, but would have preferred projectile weapons for sure.

I kinda feel bad for Cliff. I watched a interview with him around last year sometime and thought he was pretty genuine. He also had a lot of interesting points because of how long he's been in the industry.

I also don't know who the hell is rooting for the actual game of Lawbreakers. I mean honestly, that game looked like shit and was a blatant Overwatch rip off. I personally feel the same way about Valorant and even Battlefield 2042 to a certain extent. Because Overwatch and Fortnite are so popular, so many devs use those games as the basis for their own gameplay and monetization formulas and more often than not it just comes off as contrived.

I think if anything people are more or less rooting for Cliff himself to come back and Lawbreakers is inadvertently part of that by proxy simply because it was his last game that he made.

I'd like to see him move on and try to make an actually unique game.

Last edited:
I remember when CliffyB teased the game and a lot of my friends got interested, hoping for a tactical shooter in the Counterstrike/COD style.
Expectations were high, then they presented it as a futuristic arena shooter with gravity, movement mechanics, edgy design and gender neutral toilets.

200w.gif
Hahahaha holy shit that's good stuff.

DosGamer

I met him years ago at a Gears of War event in Chapel Hill, NC. MTV was there and they had a nice ass party to promote it. Great times! I even got a autographed gears shirt with my gamer tag on the back.

Dude was at the peak at that point. Seemed nice and you could tell he loved what he did.
His wife was super hot too... and occasionally you would see him driving around town in his sports cars...
Then, it just seemed like leaving EPIC was the wrong thing to do. Im not a developer, but I remember hearing about fortnite when it was first announced and I knew then it was going to be a hit.

I kinda feel bad for Cliff. I watched a interview with him around last year sometime and thought he was pretty genuine. He also had a lot of interesting points because of how long he's been in the industry.

I also don't know who the hell is rooting for the actual game of Lawbreakers. I mean honestly, that game looked like shit and was a blatant Overwatch rip off.
LawBreakers to my knowledge was in development prior to Overwatch becoming public. When they added the different hero aspect is something I do not know, but I do know the entire team and CliffyB had a heart murmur when the Overwatch trailer dropped and they knew they had tough competition.

I'm personally rooting for LawBreakers to make a return I'm a fan of the gritty and violent style it was going for (I played UT99 as a kid), but I know that there's only a small group of fans numbering in the 100s who want it back. Doesn't help too that Cliffy has acted like a douchebag when it face-planted upon release and the drama with the Xbox fanboys didn't make things any easier.

Rykan

Left the company right before Fortnite became the biggest game in gaming history.

SkylineRKR

Its funny how Cliff and Jaffe both made "GoW", and both left the company before they hit it big, and both created their own IP elsewhere and they tanked. But Jaffe has an entertaining Youtube channel, and Cliff is always acting like a spoiled brat. In everything he posts you can feel he is annoyed by the fact he isn't relevant in gaming anymore.

But I read he has nothing to worry about, he is loaded and invests in many things.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Its funny how Cliff and Jaffe both made "GoW", and both left the company before they hit it big, and both created their own IP elsewhere and they tanked. But Jaffe has an entertaining Youtube channel, and Cliff is always acting like a spoiled brat. In everything he posts you can feel he is annoyed by the fact he isn't relevant in gaming anymore.

But I read he has nothing to worry about, he is loaded and invests in many things.
Lol what
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

SkylineRKR

In his defense he did push for cheaper games, and believed in free DLC. Epic always used to do this on PC in the past.

Real big. like Fortnite big and God of War which was a success, but not the juggernaut it is today.

Gears was a success, sure, but nothing on the level Epic is at now with their engine and game dominating the industry.

Yoboman

In his defense he did push for cheaper games, and believed in free DLC. Epic always used to do this on PC in the past.

Real big. like Fortnite big and God of War which was a success, but not the juggernaut it is today.

Gears was a success, sure, but nothing on the level Epic is at now with their engine and game dominating the industry.
Its all relative. Gears was the biggest success Epic ever had up to that point, and God of War was the biggest success Santa Monica (and arguably any Sony first party) had up to that point

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

There’s a lot of people who made billions from the video game industry. The creation of EA, Activision, and etc. are filled with very wealthy people. All those gaming CEO’s are rich. Make a big hit, sell it, and you’re also rich. There’s also people in the industry who got let go, had no idea what to do next, and had to survive. I like hearing about game designers starting off before they got big too. The ones where they had to invent the tech and come up with the idea. Knowing some person has a multi million dollar mansion and a million dollar yacht is just boring. Lol there’s plenty of rich people out there. Get on a boat in the Bahamas and you will see a lot of rich people. Who cares about their wealth?

SkylineRKR

There’s a lot of people who made billions from the video game industry. The creation of EA, Activision, and etc. are filled with very wealthy people. All those gaming CEO’s are rich. Make a big hit, sell it, and you’re also rich. There’s also people in the industry who got let go, had no idea what to do next, and had to survive. I like hearing about game designers starting off before they got big too. The ones where they had to invent the tech and come up with the idea. Knowing some person has a multi million dollar mansion and a million dollar yacht is just boring. Lol there’s plenty of rich people out there. Get on a boat in the Bahamas and you will see a lot of rich people. Who cares about their wealth?

People in this thread who wondered how he was doing after failing in the games industry apparently. I chimed in on that.

treemk

Banned
Lawbreakers was a good game, not going f2p in that climate was an uphill battle. Should have learned from how Apex launched, and paying big streamers to play it day 1 is critical these days. As soon as the "dead game" discussion starts, even people who were already interested become hesitant and its over.

Lawbreakers was a good game, not going f2p in that climate was an uphill battle. Should have learned from how Apex launched, and paying big streamers to play it day 1 is critical these days. As soon as the "dead game" discussion starts, even people who were already interested become hesitant and its over.
LawBreakers was originally called "Bluestreak" and was supposed to be free to play though the long development time meant they couldn't give it away. Besides, everything is all colourful and cheery nowadays man, LawBreakers was gritty and violent in terms of it's art style. CliffyB thought the gamers who made his fortune with Unreal Tournament were still aroun, but they either moved onto other games or a few gave him a shot.

Too much hate on CliffyB - I’ll always appreciate his creation of gears of war/popularization of 3rd person cover based shooters.

Gears of war, after all, was the first “next gen” game of 360 era and set the bar very high for graphics.

Never heard of lawbreakers but now I’m curious

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ll never understand why they didn’t go free to play model.

The game could do well in the current market with F2P and cross play. Why not ? I had a lot of fun with it.

I’ll never understand why they didn’t go free to play model.

The game could do well in the current market with F2P and cross play. Why not ? I had a lot of fun with it.
Will it though? People don't like the artstyle, and many will choose Overwatch instead. LawBreakers had a playerbase in the 100s.

Nydius

CliffyB thought the gamers who made his fortune with Unreal Tournament were still aroun, but they either moved onto other games or a few gave him a shot.
I'm one of those UT99 people. LawBreakers didn't appeal to me because it was trying to straddle the line between arena shooter and hero shooter. I gave it a chance but didn't like that characters had fixed loadouts and roles. If I wanted that, I would just stick to Overwatch. Had it been like UT where we had to learn power weapons spawns on each map, armor and health packs spawns, and so on, I probably would have liked it much more.

The game tried to do two separate things and didn't do either well enough to pull me away from other options.

I'm one of those UT99 people. LawBreakers didn't appeal to me because it was trying to straddle the line between arena shooter and hero shooter. I gave it a chance but didn't like that characters had fixed loadouts and roles. If I wanted that, I would just stick to Overwatch. Had it been like UT where we had to learn power weapons spawns on each map, armor and health packs spawns, and so on, I probably would have liked it much more.

The game tried to do two separate things and didn't do either well enough to pull me away from other options.
Personally I didn't mind the fixed loadouts as sometimes it allows for great familiarity for both player and opponent. I think it handled both aspects or arena and hero shooting rather well as the maps were great and the heroes diverse, though most people chose the wraith because he was overpowered. I want the game back as not many make that kind of game with such a visceral and raw artstyle. The steel, blood and aerial combat, but not to the point where's it sickening or gone too far, it straddled that line extremely well.

I remember playing cliffy bs first game, Dare 2 Dream, when I was like 7. Honestly, it was awesome, and I still wish I knew what happened after the shareware episode.

Hopefully the dude makes a comeback doing some low budget indy thing a la Dusk or whatever. He'd make a good boomer shooter.

I remember playing cliffy bs first game, Dare 2 Dream, when I was like 7. Honestly, it was awesome, and I still wish I knew what happened after the shareware episode.

Hopefully the dude makes a comeback doing some low budget indy thing a la Dusk or whatever. He'd make a good boomer shooter.

Both the Jazz Jackrabbit games were great, though UT and Gears were his peak, design/direction-wise.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'd actually be happy with another fast paced online game being successful.

I was a loyal Paladins player but the game never stopped being full of bugs, lag and horrible pairing, now I just play casually until Hi-Rez decides to finally kill it, one of the only games that keeps them somehow relevant and makes them money, that company must be ran by the dumbest crows in the town.

Tried overwatch and that game is... Slow and absurdly unbalanced, all of my friends and I just decided it doesn't exist anymore.

Fortnite is boring af... I hate LoL camera but at least I don't get bored.

Halo is the only current shooter I actually like a lot, but to much pairing against 3 or 4 members parties so I enjoy it but not for long.

I'm definitely looking for an online game to play with friends every now and then or that absorbs me to it's core and doesn't let me play anything else... Best of wishes to Cliffy B. And the game.

Top Bottom