• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski: "Just got a text from my lawyer about... LawBreakers. Stay tuned."

winjer

Gold Member
Dude was on top for a few years, then left Epic and became irrelevant.
Now he can't deal with that and is so angst against gamers for not making Lawbreakers a success.
So what is he trying to do now? Resurrect a game that no one cared about?

Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

ZehDon

Gold Member
"It confuses the hell out of me how people were rooting for the game to fail and when it did now there's a ton of support for it."

I've never seen, read, or heard anyone say anything about Lawbreakers. Not people "rooting for the game to fail", not expressing a "ton of support" - literally nothing about this game. Ever. If Cliffy thinks he made some kind of cult classic, with a hardcore fan base itching for its return, he's really misreading the room. Maybe he can "Morbius" the shit out of it and re-launch it so it can fail again.

Last edited:

Zheph

Could it be the fact that it was a cheap rip off with terrible visibility and branded "the dark souls of FPS arena" that made the game fail? Just wondering

I was in the lawbreakers beta/alpha early on. It felt like absolute shit for a good while. Then one of the later tests they had fixed everything. It felt amazing, was fun to play, somewhat balanced etc. I really thought it would be a success. But everyone was just going "waaah soooo generic" - in an age when there was like no fucking arena shooters.

It was shocking how poor the numbers were. I've played a lot of shooters and understand arena shooters etc. That was not a bad game. I guess the marketing was bad?

Last edited:

Three

He got a call from his lawyer and seems sarcastic there is a ton of support for it. probably means "a ton of people" are launching a lawsuit/petition for something they did or he's been subpoenaed for a case?

Last edited:

SCB3

I was in the lawbreakers beta/alpha early on. It felt like absolute shit for a good while. Then one of the later tests they had fixed everything. It felt amazing, was fun to play, somewhat balanced etc. I really thought it would be a success. But everyone was just going "waaah soooo generic" - in an age when there was like no fucking arena shooters.

It was shocking how poor the numbers were. I've played a lot of shooters and understand arena shooters etc. That was not a bad game. I guess the marketing was bad?
It came out at a similar time to Overwatch's peak success, it was completely overshadowed as it looked really simialr

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I never played it, but I thought it looked pretty good. I know people don't like Cliffy B, but it seemed (seems) weird how gamers have the energy to continue sneering and pouring scorn on things.

Goalus

Even though I will forever highly respect him for creating the GOAT game and universe, I cannot forget that Lawbreakers was not on Xbox.

That was a heinous stab in the back, and I don't think I am the only one who feels that way. In a sense, Lawbreakers' failure was an invocation of justice by the universe itself.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
He should've focused on a true SP game with good shooting mechanics like he did with Gears. Maybe it would've been successful

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

Bragr

Banned

I also liked it, and I also didn't understand the criticism against it.

People are still complaining about how it was similar to this and that, or how it ripped off this or that, but I can't really see those arguments. I thought the gravity part of it made it feel different.

Cliffy B did the game a huge disservice by how he was hyping it up, it made the game feel snobby in a way, that it was forced on you as a "fan-favorite shooter" because was making it. Before you even tried it you were supposed to like it.

And some of the jumping and flying around likely put a good chunk of the audience off, as frankly, the casual masses want straightforward stuff.

People are still complaining about how it was similar to this and that, or how it ripped off this or that, but I can't really see those arguments. I thought the gravity part of it made it feel different.

Cliffy B did the game a huge disservice by how he was hyping it up, it made the game feel snobby in a way, that it was forced on you as a "fan-favorite shooter" because was making it. Before you even tried it you were supposed to like it.

And some of the jumping and flying around likely put a good chunk of the audience off, as frankly, the casual masses want straightforward stuff.

Yeah. It was a well made shooter. I think the other issue was it came at a time where free to play was starting to pick up. If it launched F2P with better marketing it could have really done well imo.

Mr.ODST

Remember working with bosskeys on the first ever UK Lawbreakers event, the game was excellent in an esports setting and BossKeys were an awesome studio to work with and gave us a ton of prizes

The success of many games (especially shooters?) seems to be almost entirely luck based.
Killzone 2, Resistance 3, both Titanfalls, MAG, Hellgate London, Vanquish, Deus Ex (especially 3&4), later Unreal Tournaments, Quake Live&Champions, NOLF1&2, XIII
I guess most people would say those are at least competent works but they seem to not have impressed in sales, while other games I rate on the very same level were much more talked about.
Maybe some of them were considered sufficiently succesfull, some got successors but overall they were either too late or maybe even too early or some other unfortunate reason. I am actually surprised that now and then some games still manage to find success in genres that are highly saturated. And not only find a new small niche but actually shake things up on the top by adding or focusing or twisting just one tiny thing.

Patrick S.

Banned
I never played it myself, but I remember watching a Twitch stream of it and it looked really good. If it somehow comes back, I'll play it. CliffyB is a bit of a loudmouth, but I don't care about that. I'm playing the game, not the guy.

KXVXII9X

GIF by VH1

Yes, because you released your hero shooter in an overcrowded market hoping to chase the trends of that time. Now that that there are new trends people are willing to try older ones. Lawbreakers lacked any real personality and looked as generic as they came.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
It confuses the hell out of me how people were rooting for the game to fail and when it did now there's a ton of support for it.

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Last edited:

Holammer

I remember when CliffyB teased the game and a lot of my friends got interested, hoping for a tactical shooter in the Counterstrike/COD style.
Expectations were high, then they presented it as a futuristic arena shooter with gravity, movement mechanics, edgy design and gender neutral toilets.

200w.gif

Banned
people didn't root for it to fail, people pointed out WHY IT WOULD fail... and people were correct.

1: not releasing on Xbox, when your core audience up until that point was on Xbox.

2: releasing it as a paid game instead of free 2 play, when the landscape was already extremely competitive and your game is multiplayer only.

3: boring artstyle with forgettable characters in a hero shooter.

4: suboptimal controller options in a super fast shooter.

Hugare

Always seems like Cliffy B is stuck in 2008

Not only for not releasing anything worthwhile in ages, but his atitude, despite being a middle aged man today, is totally "2007-2010 edge" present in that era

Freeman76

Ge came across as a proper dick in the gears doc he made where he was banging about his 19 year old wife all the time

Top Bottom