• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Cross Remaster and FFIX Remake leaked on GeForce Now list

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
shocked r kelly GIF
If ya gonna post it, do it properly.
shocked-r-kelly.gif

clem84

Gold Member
If they really want to remake FFIX I could see them remaking all the 2D backgrounds and 3D models but keep the entire game more or less the same. It would still be a lot of work but it would be pretty straightforward.

This news is really surprising. They've published the game so many times, on so many platforms in the last few years. Do they really think there's a huge demand for an FFIX remake that would warrant this? I'm skeptical this will even happen.

Elios83

Day one if true, hopefully Square Enix has heard something about reconstructing low res backgrounds using neural networks. But I wouldn't bet on it.
Also they need to bundle both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.

Hugare

If its just a remaster like FF8 then outside of getting it on steam cheap, I really dont care. That game along with many other square games need to get the full FF7R treatment in my opinion.
Cross wasnt well received by the public even back then, so it wouldnt sell many copies like FF VII R.

And its huge. 3 parts minimum to tell the whole story.

I'm fine with an AI upscaled remaster

What if Square decides to throw in a lot more content, in addition to the obligatory visual upgrades?
For example, let's say if Square tosses in a remastered Radical Dreamers prologue, would that sweeten the deal?
There's no way that they would do something like this. Because it would require quite some effort.

Making new scenarios, backgrounds and etc.

th4tguy

What if Square decides to throw in a lot more content, in addition to the obligatory visual upgrades?
For example, let's say if Square tosses in a remastered Radical Dreamers prologue, would that sweeten the deal?
Not really. The thing that killed CC for me was the amount of characters to collect for the party and feeling like most only ever got a paragraph of story.
I really enjoy the party aspect and the character growth you get with that smaller group throughout the game. When you have that many characters they become no more interesting than equipment.

Mister Wolf

Xenogears deserves a remake. Where all the cut disc 2 content is actually added to the game instead of told like a story. Don't change anything else.

Honestly I would be content with new hi-res pixel art, updated textures, and new polygon models for the mechs and world.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Xenogears deserves a remake. Where all the cut disc 2 content is actually added to the game instead of told like a story. Don't change anything else.
As much as I want that to happen, it’d probably have to be split into 2 games at least.

that’s why the Xenogears disc 2 controversy didn’t bother me so much. As it is, it’s a ~55 hour game with ZERO filler. Their one fault was having so much story to tell that they couldn’t even cram it all into the game.

A Chrono Cross remaster on iOS at $30 or less is an insta-buy for me. It's one of those I always wanted to replay but never got around to do it.

Kimahri

Banned
Would sure be swell if they got the backdrops upressed, but knowing SE I doubt it. Other than that, typical SE bells and whistles would be all I need. 3x speed mostly. Live that frature in their remasters.

And I really hope FFIX is just a graphical overhaul. Same game, maybe some tiny tweaks here and there, but full 3d with locked camera angles. I'd be in heaven.

The last thing I want is another bloatef FFVII situation. Give me a finished game, and don't change the story.

Kev Kev

the remakes and remasters weve been getting are so bad, i dont really want any more of them. these creators try to change or interject too much. in the case of ffviir we wound up getting a sequel instead ffs

nah, im cool. no more please. i am now officially on the no more remakes/remasters train.

still cool with sequels tho. or better yet, prequels! especially origin stories

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Radical Dreamers is basically a gamebook. Doesn’t even really need a remaster, even if they would change the font.
I wouldn’t bet on new content.

Not really. The thing that killed CC for me was the amount of characters to collect for the party and feeling like most only ever got a paragraph of story.
I really enjoy the party aspect and the character growth you get with that smaller group throughout the game. When you have that many characters they become no more interesting than equipment.
There’s no need to recruit most of them. Those with the most obscure requirements are rarely worth the effort, too. I basically rock the same party every time I play CC, and that’s fine. Nobody uses Poshul or Mojo. (all you really need for late game is Serge, Glenn and Orlha to destroy literally everything).
I like that most characters are interchangeable with no impact on plot. You can use whomever you want and the story will progress the same. Most characters’ best moments are when you recruit them.

Remastering Chrono Cross without uprezzing the backgrounds would be futile. That game had some of the best art ever seen on the PS1. Fingers crossed.

Kev Kev

Not even sure if chrono cross was ever released in Europe so be a lot of people's first time, I know I never played it. Why not let a new generation experience these games and just pretend it doesn't exist.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against others enjoying it. But my experience with remakes has been pretty bad the last few years. And I’m usually one of those asking for them. Just not for me anymore but I hope Europe enjoys them

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Only if they change the battle system in Xenosaga 2.
There was a pretty credible rumor recently that Namco was considering a remaster but decided it wouldn’t be worth it.

doubt it’ll ever happen, but if they ever do a remake I hope they completely scrap and revamp the combat for the whole series. All 3 of them had pretty boring, slow battles (although yes 2 was the most egregious by far, maybe the worst turn-based battle system I’ve experienced)

Top Bottom