• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cherno - game dev reacts to Halo Infinite trailer

Leyasu

Banned
Don't be so generous; it looks worse than Halo 4 on X360. To call this an average X1 game is to give it way too much credit.

What I really don't understand is that if the engine is this bad (and its bad for even current gen, let's not even talk about next gen), why didn't they just throw in the towel and license Unreal - at some point if you're MS don't you have to assess and acknowledge that the current 343 team is simply incapable of designing the engine this game needs (at the very least in the time schedule required).

I don't honestly think that it is the engine. I think that they just spent so much time getting built, that they didn't have enough time to make the game.

343s project management should have seen where this was going and reacted accordingly in 2018 when there was still two years of dev time left..... Unless this is the biggest troll ever and they are going to unveil the real version next month. I personally think that I have more chance of an immensely valuable meteorite landing in my garden than that happening, so we turn once again to 343s project management.

Why did they not get support studios involved 2 yrs ago? Instead they have run down the clock and if they don't delay it, are going to put out a game that it less graphically than its predecessor

bohrdom

Banned
Don't be so generous; it looks worse than Halo 4 on X360. To call this an average X1 game is to give it way too much credit.

What I really don't understand is that if the engine is this bad (and its bad for even current gen, let's not even talk about next gen), why didn't they just throw in the towel and license Unreal - at some point if you're MS don't you have to assess and acknowledge that the current 343 team is simply incapable of designing the engine this game needs (at the very least in the time schedule required).

From what I've read they did try making this game in UE4 but decided to move to an inhouse engine since an open world game is hard to make in UE4.

BRZBlue

I don't care. He was in the industry for a full year. Thats it. And this video is nothing but a reaction. He glosses over everything at surface level. His UE5 video was much more professional than this crap. And then he uses those clickbait titles. gimme a break.

thereisnoneedcraig.gif

He has a lot more engine programming experience than almost anyone here, and is far more qualified to speak on it.

OutRun88

Is this persons opinion on the trailer supposed to change how I feel about the game?

I don’t understand the point of these.

bohrdom

Banned
DF are just enthusiasts in comparison, not professionals. Many around the forums have much more background about the matter than they do, yet people treat them like some kinda gods.

So what? Many professionals still watch their content because it's good. Take a look at Beyond3D.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So what? Many professionals still watch their content because it's good. Take a look at Beyond3D.

They're good, Alex is the worst but still can make something good, Richard is the best although he's biased to XBOX but tries to keep it professional as much as possible, John is neutral. But overall, they're not professionals, and their best bets can be done by many yet doesn't seem to be many are to concerned about 400-800% zooming.

Wizz-Art

Yea I saw that video...Halo shouldn't be the laughing stock of the industry, it deserves much better than this.

I just wanted to ask you, why do you have a bra as an avatar?

On topic; never ever heard of the guy but even then he's allowed to have an opinion like everyone else. But this is only an 'opinion' on a trailer that looks very current gen. I hear that the gameplay is more than fine. For an online shooter that's very important is it not?

tryDEATH

That thumbnail picture is one of the most pretentious pictures I have seen in a very long time. I am not sure if its a take on a Senior High School picture or of a 1900's Revolutionary philosopher that believes his own sh*t too much.

He clearly throws in some cynical jabs at the game unnecessarily, but again I am not very surprised by that. These new sort of "technical" and "neutral" YTers have clearly drawn the line for who their audience is and Xbox fans are certainly not it, when views are necessary they know who their target demography is. Not discounting everything he says but he leans into it, while pretending like this is what the shipped game will be.

Time for 343 to be renamed to 86.
They should be called 180. Halo 5 comes out and they do a 180 and throw away everything Halo 4 set up. Halo Infinite comes out and they do a 180 and throw away everything Halo 5 set up. Infinite 2 is gonna throw away everything this game is gonna set up.

bohrdom

Banned
They're good, Alex is the worst but still can make something good, Richard is the best although he's biased to XBOX but tries to keep it professional as much as possible, John is neutral. But overall, they're not professionals, and their best bets can be done by many yet doesn't seem to be many are to concerned about 400-800% zooming.

Alex is great. I think he really likes to dive into the technical details more than Richard and John. I'm not sure what you would have wanted him to do with his Halo video. It was both scathing and professional. Also, Richard bashed the Xbox showcase.

If you think Alex is biased, watch his Horizon Forbidden West analysis. He's really impressed.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Alex is great. I think he really likes to dive into the technical details more than Richard and John. I'm not sure what you would have wanted him to do with his Halo video. It was both scathing and professional. Also, Richard bashed the Xbox showcase.

If you think Alex is biased, watch his Horizon Forbidden West analysis. He's really impressed.

Watched it, but he was nitpicking a lot, yet not the same with a total disaster like Halo Infinite. Richard was trying his best by holding back his criticism, John was slightly open about it. They don't wanna lose the privilege they have with MS, but I think they should look at their subscription count as they should've passed that period of insecurity.

Romulus

Are there any halo fans even defending this at all at this point? I see hardly any, even the most hardcore I've known are just not impressed.

Psykodad

Banned

100% he was excited about the prospects of next-gen, when looking at HFW.
At that time, people were expecting Halo to blow everything out of the water.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I think this guy's strength and weakness as a youtuber source comes from not being overly involved in this stuff before just watching it and commenting on the fly.

While it removes bias because he legitimately doesn't personally give a shit about praising or shitting on console software, it also leads to a lot of situations where it'll look like he doesn't know what he's talking about. He might think the Flight Simulator footage is running on an Xbox, or that the 1-minute Halo trailer is what he should be commenting on instead of the 8-minute gameplay video.

His channel didn't really get any views until he started discussing next-gen console stuff, and then suddenly he could get views in the hundreds of thousands. I feel like he could have used that as an opportunity to put a little bit more effort into the videos at least in the form of figuring out what platform something was running on first or what he should be watching before hitting the record button.

He has his own engine, in case you're not aware.
His engine is “indie” tier at best, nowhere near the scope or magnitude of an AAA game like Halo. Not even remotely. I’ve made one too... Hardly need to be an “expert”.

Also, what games has he made or been part of? I see he worked at EA melbourne and the only notable title I saw was NFS, and none of them have been rated highly in recent years.

You seem to have full faith in this guys knowledge so help us out, what are his credentials besides being a “professional who worked at EA”?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
His engine is “indie” tier at best, nowhere near the scope or magnitude of an AAA game like Halo. Not even remotely. I’ve made one too... Hardly need to be an “expert”.

Also, what games has he made or been part of? I see he worked at EA melbourne and the only notable title I saw was NFS, and none of them have been rated highly in recent years.

You seem to have full faith in this guys knowledge so help us out, what are his credentials besides being a “professional who worked at EA”?

Maybe directly pointing things on screen instead of making empty talk? I think that counts a lot more, and he worked with Frostbite engine as well, so he's more credible than most channels you can refer to.

TJC

What are the credentials of the people who doubt his knowledge of development?.

JonnyMP3

Well unless you can name another Youtuber, with more than 1 year at any AAA studio, that has worked on any AAA title or at least on a AAA engine, which is more than 99% of anyone else on this or any other forum, giving their opinion in a reaction video then feel free to share their expertise.
So unless John Carmack is deciding to start up his own channel... Having a minor expert is better than having no expert.

So... Know any other Youtuber we should know about that fulfils any of that Criteria? He's worked a bit on Frostbite. Anyone you know worked on that or Unreal or Decima or any other big engine? Please enlighten!

OutRun88

Expressions: How do they work?
Humor me. Besides pointing out a few render issues when he clicks frame by frame, what is factually wrong with the game? It's a pretty shit ass saying that I've only heard you ever use.
It's factually wrong to claim that Halo Infinite is a next gen game. That do you?
The game is going to be on a next generation system. What you stated is factually inaccurate.

I feel like I'm arguing with children holy shit.

JonnyMP3

Humor me. Besides pointing out a few render issues when he clicks frame by frame, what is factually wrong with the game? It's a pretty shit ass saying that I've only heard you ever use.

The game is going to be on a next generation system. What you stated is factually inaccurate.

I feel like I'm arguing with children holy shit.
OK let's get this factually straight for the pedantic.
It's factually wrong to claim that it's a "NEXT GENERATION LOOKING" game because it does not look next generation. It is only next generation by default of playing on a next generation machine.
Playing your old BC compatible games on Next Generation hardware that can make it look 4k and 60fps does not make it a next generation game. Better?

Pedantry will get you like that. Maybe being less of a pedantic prick might help? ☺

Psykodad

Banned
Ffs, "wrong" is just an expression, a figure of speech.

No wonder you think he "tells you how to feel"..

I like Cherno’s content, but lets relax with putting him on some kind of developer-pedestal. A short stint at EA, on the less technical side by his own account, hardly makes him John Carmack or Tim Sweeney.

THE:MILKMAN

I personally watch most of the DF videos and many of the current crop of YouTubers game tech videos/news (e.g. RGT, MLiD, AdoredTV) and honestly I probably disagree with 50% of everything discussed most of the time and that's fine. In the case of Alex vs Halo Infinite the only problems/disagreement I had is the following:

And it certainly wasn't in any way scathing from Alex.

nikolino840

I try to explain better...

As i said the problem of youtubers is the situation of "zelig" by woody allen

I don't know how to describe in english...in italy we say "Riding the wave" like a surfist
Making an opinion in base of what the major youtubers and viewers think

So...we are looking for an opinion or someone who convalidate our opinions?

Example: a youtuber have my own opinion? Is a good youtuber

A youtuber don't have my own opinion? Ah that youtuber suck

JonnyMP3

I try to explain better...

As i said the problem of youtubers is the situation of "zelig" by woody allen

I don't know how to describe in english...in italy we say "Riding the wave" like a surfist
Making an opinion in base of what the major youtubers and viewers think

So...we are looking for an opinion or someone who convalidate our opinions?

Example: a youtuber have my own opinion? Is a good youtuber

A youtuber don't have my own opinion? Ah that youtuber suck
The term is 'Confirmation Bias'

bohrdom

Banned
I personally watch most of the DF videos and many of the current crop of YouTubers game tech videos/news (e.g. RGT, MLiD, AdoredTV) and honestly I probably disagree with 50% of everything discussed most of the time and that's fine. In the case of Alex vs Halo Infinite the only problems/disagreement I had is the following:

And it certainly wasn't in any way scathing from Alex.

I don't think he conveyed his thought well in the frame that you capped because between 16:30-17:30 he's questioning the material choices/art design of the game and even saying the older designs were better.

I think what he's trying to say in the frame you captured is: hey look at the difference of PBR materials vs non physically based materials found in older games like Reach. In general PBR is better and in direct lighting it looks amazing. He's trying to make a case for ray tracing / gi because you need multiple light bounces for PBR materials to work well. IMO he's right. PBR materials look great (eg LOU2). Also in that frame you capped it seems like he was focusing mainly on the weapons. He is right, they generally look better than the rest of the scene and the material looks good.

I said it was scathing because DF generally leans toward saying positive things in the videos they produce. This video is literally focusing on all the problems in the demo, the last 5 mins especially.

Top Bottom