• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show the Actual Game! - Sakurai talks about trailers.

dottme

I want to understand the game. I’ve seen so many trailer where I don’t even understand what kind of game it’s going to be.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
These Sakurai videos have been astoundingly on-point in just about every topic they’ve ever covered. It’s probably the best generalized encyclopedia of proper game development that has ever been made. It still blows my mind how many AAA devs ignore so many aspects that seem obvious to people like Sakurai.

Highly recommend binging the entire series of vids.

Paltheos

An obvious point that allot of developers still miss (Sakurai doesn't really say anything new btw, but he's right, of course).

My theory has been allot of developers feel pressured to get something out there early to stay in the rat race but what they have at that point is usually too embarrassing (relatively) to show off so we get these weak-ass trailers that don't actually show gameplay. The Nintendo way really is the best way though - Total radio silence until you're near ready to release. I just get overloaded with information from everywhere otherwise and usually lose interest from early reveals. The practice seems counterproductive.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I love the Monolith Soft does it. They always announce the game when they ready to show something and in Xenoblade 3 not only it didn’t get delayed but instead the they push the release date forward.

bender

What time is it?
Sakurai…..for love all things good…PLEASE give me Kid Icarus Uprising sequel or at very least bring the first game to Switch…..or Switch 2

He has you on ignore since you talked shit about his favorite SSB fighter.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
He has you on ignore since you talked shit about his favorite SSB fighter.
man-asking-who-620s9o5pbvnj6lkf.webp

Codes 208

I mean, you can do both you know? Isn't that what he did with the smash trailers anyway?

yeah, The cgi trailer is just a hype generator followed with actual gameplay to show the character off, its actually pretty genius

I still think the best example was banjo and kazooie, start off with a mislead, then tye actual reveal, then show that sweet, sweet sizzle reel while the hype is still flowing

Last edited:
Top Bottom