• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cherno - game dev reacts to Halo Infinite trailer

Anki

Banned

You probably have seen his other videos, but if you haven't he used to be game engine developer for EA, now he has youtube channel where he has really good video tutorials about game engine making and occasionally has react videos. He is really cool guy and this video is the only one where he was underwhelmed.

JonnyMP3

He comes out spitting straight truth.
He says the problem is he's trying his best to find stuff that looks good but his brain just says it looks bad.
No FUD. No excuses. No theories as to why it looks bad but that it just does.
This is someone with actual professional expertise compared to Alex from DF.
I miss the days when we had proper experts like Durante.

nikolino840

He says the problem is he's trying his best to find stuff that looks good but his brain just says it looks bad.
Just becouse is also your opinion?
I say Alex say the truth so what?

JonnyMP3

Just becouse is also your opinion?
I say Alex say the truth so what?
No, not because of my opinion because the Cherno is a developer formerly of EA with actual development knowledge, which he is sharing with the rest of us. And Alex is a journalist with no development experience.
So if you were to say that Alex was saying the truth, you'd be choosing the guy that doesn't actually have any knowledge of game development to back it up.
Good luck with that choice!

But but DF sayd: "It is just the lightning".😉

nikolino840

No, not because of my opinion because the Cherno is a developer formerly of EA with actual development knowledge, which he is sharing with the rest of us. And Alex is a journalist with no development experience.
So if you were to say that Alex was saying the truth, you'd be choosing the guy that doesn't actually have any knowledge of game development to back it up.
Good luck with that choice!
You could pretend. Often those who make videos on YouTube pretend to please the masses, without being biased

Alx

But shouldn't we expect someone with professional expertise to be able to tell us why it looks bad ? That's where that expertise proves useful, compared to some regular guys like you and me who don't need anybody's input to say whether something looks good or bad.

Zoro7

Banned
But shouldn't we expect someone with professional expertise to be able to tell us why it looks bad ? That's where that expertise proves useful, compared to some regular guys like you and me who don't need anybody's input to say whether something looks good or bad.
You don’t need a professional to tell you why. I can tell you why. It’s incompetence.

JonnyMP3

Looking bad is simple. We're all expecting next generation graphics and we got souped up current gen graphics. That's why he says it looks current gen because it basically is. The bad comes from the expectation that Halo should be vastly graphically superior. But due to the current gen Xbox 1 constraints placed upon Halo, none of the what's shown is next gen, next level or next iteration of 3D graphical design. The shaders, particle effects and character maps being shown and used as assets and game mechanics are not next level top of the line techniques.
They are probably just the best they can do with the engine having to be coded for Xbox 1 too.

Alx

Looking bad is simple. We're all expecting next generation graphics and we got souped up current gen graphics. That's why he says it looks current gen because it basically is. The bad comes from the expectation that Halo should be vastly graphically superior. But due to the current gen Xbox 1 constraints placed upon Halo, none of the what's shown is next gen, next level or next iteration of 3D graphical design. The shaders, particle effects and character maps being shown and used as assets and game mechanics are not next level top of the line techniques.
They are probably just the best they can do with the engine having to be coded for Xbox 1 too.

That "probably" is precisely where some expertise would be appreciated to make it more clear. That's where a true technical explanation can be more thoughtful than just saying "the devs suck" or "the hardware sucks".
For what it's worth, I thought the DF video did bring some light (pun intended) to the shortcomings of the demo. And I don't think it was downplaying it as "just the lighting", as the lighting is actually the major contributor to any rendering.

Last edited:

Saaleh

Banned
He didn't watch the gameplay nor the 2018 in-engine trailers, yet he was like ''meh'' hahaha.

He said ''This looks like a current gen game, and that is being generous.''
Then he said: ''he don't know what went wrong, is it the engine, or the studio, or even seriesX.''

Any logical person would conclude from these 2 statements that every aspect of the halo demo is too average or bad, so the issue can't be in just the environment design aspect of the game or the lighitning aspect..etc. It is a an overall failure and that's why he questioned the studio/engine/seriesX.

So why would he bother point at every bit of that disaster ? It's not his job, he was looking for next gen aspects to explain them in that trailer and he couldn't. You want him to explain a last gen game and why it looks bad. Your expectations of him is not realistic.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

If you watched the video “souped up current gen” isn’t what he called it. Mediocre current gen is the phrase he used I believe, said he was being generous, compared it to Halo 3 at one point

zeorhymer

A lot of people are bad at explaining things. You have to keep asking "why is it bad" or "why doesn't it feel right." If they can't explain it, then it boils down to that they don't like it. I've asked so many people to give input on how application looks and feels and a lot of them couldn't give me anything useful. All they kept saying is that they don't like it. Unfortunately, I have to trash their inputs because I can't fix their feelings.

JonnyMP3

He didn't watch the gameplay nor the 2018 in-engine trailers, yet he was like ''meh'' hahaha.

He said ''This looks like a current gen game, and that is being generous.''
Then he said: ''he don't know what went wrong, is it the engine, or the studio, or even seriesX.''

Any logical person would conclude from these 2 statements that every aspect of the halo demo is too average or bad, so the issue can't be in just the environment design aspect of the game or the lighitning aspect..etc. It is a an overall failure and that's why he questioned the studio/engine/seriesX.

So why would he bother point at every bit of that disaster ? It's not his job, he was looking for next gen aspects to explain them in that trailer and he couldn't. You want him to explain a last gen game and why it looks bad. Your expectations of him is not realistic.
Wtf are you on about?
I didn't want him to explain anything.

Saaleh

Banned
Wtf are you on about?
I didn't want him to explain anything.

''I miss the days when we had proper experts like Durante.''
I thought you did, sorry, could be my fault XD.

My comment still apply to those above me as if alex is more accurate. >.<

Last edited:

dottme

Also, some are all about ray tracing improving everything and so on and so on. But he is going frame by frame trying to find if there is some re-tracing or not (we actually no there isn’t any).
But my point, if you have to go frame by frame to convince you there is ray trace at all, is ray tracing really something I’ll notice while playing?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well by what criterion can a person believe a more optimistic or pessimistic version of the gameplay? Becouse my personal opinion both DF and this guy are saying the truth
giphy.gif

JonnyMP3

''I miss the days when we had proper experts like Durante.''
I thought you did, sorry, could be my fault XD.

My comment still apply to those above me as if alex is more accurate. >.<
Nah, not for explaining stuff though that helps on the more difficult, technical stuff. But I meant I miss him and others like him as the resident Gaf technical experts of the forums to shut down those that want to spread incorrect information or help those that don't have such a good grasp on tech and just regurgitate marketing speech.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
The Cherno Is already eras Sony legions darling since he praised the ps5/unreal vid. Looks like he will get some love from here too.

He was not impressed by this at all.

Anyway, 343 have no excuses for this. Halo 5 looks better. I would love to know how long they spent on developing their engine as opposed to developing this? Microsoft needs to take an axe to their project management team

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

The Cherno Is already eras Sony legions darling since he praised the ps5/unreal vid. Looks like he will get some love from here too.

Anyway, 343 have no excuses for this. Halo 5 looks better. I would love to know how long they spent on developing their engine as opposed to developing this? Microsoft needs to take an axe to their project management team
Well the whole point is that he is actually a developer that has worked at EA. Not a journalist, random Youtuber hobbyist or indie developer. Someone that has worked at a AAA studio under a big publisher. If the Halo Infinite trailer was mind-bending and spectacular too, he'd get the same praise for talking about the technical aspects and what the Engine is doing.
Some of us actually LIKE technology.

JeloSWE

Guy has a game channel, all videos in 24fps..... that's just bad, games normally run at 30 or 60, so game footage will judder when you strip out every 2.5 or 5 frame.

Bar81

Don't be so generous; it looks worse than Halo 4 on X360. To call this an average X1 game is to give it way too much credit.

What I really don't understand is that if the engine is this bad (and its bad for even current gen, let's not even talk about next gen), why didn't they just throw in the towel and license Unreal - at some point if you're MS don't you have to assess and acknowledge that the current 343 team is simply incapable of designing the engine this game needs (at the very least in the time schedule required).

Top Bottom