• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChatGPT and the (near) future of AI

Lasha

UBI seems like the kind of thing that leads to hyperinflation, IMO. It's introduced... then companies raise their prices of every product they have, some above the price of what you get paid monthly. If UBI exists that kitkat goes from 2 dollars (which is already overpriced mind you) to 500. imagine the price of a PS5 under a system like that. Then people are gonna start asking for more money, we get more cash every month, and then more hyperinflation. eventually government regulations are gonna need to be made

personally the real question comes from what people are going to do when work isn't necessary for 99% of the population. and more importantly if the AI will grow sentience and we'll be serving under them

You probably shouldn't be able to afford a PS5 or other luxury items on UBI to begin with. Basic foodstuff, utilities, and shelter should be it's limit with price controls applied to those commodities.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You probably shouldn't be able to afford a PS5 or other luxury items on UBI to begin with.
the issue would be that UBI would affect pricing as a whole, so even people who aren't on the program have to deal with the inflated prices thanks to it. It's worse for everyone

Lasha

the issue would be that UBI would affect pricing as a whole, so even people who aren't on the program have to deal with the inflated prices thanks to it. It's worse for everyone

An economic with UBI wouldn't be a fully market economy anymore. UBI would have to come with legislation against price gouging in some fashion or another.

You kinda hit the nail on the head though. People from rich western countries imagine UBI or Communisim as utopias where their lives are spent comfortably filled by the consumerist hobbies they currently have. A more equal distribution of wealth would target your average westerner hardest since the lifestyle is already propped up at the expense of the rest of the planet.

UBI comes more into play as the wealthy and upper middle class begin to disappear and the large majority of what's left is a workforce consisting of jobs where the cost of an AI solution exceeds the cost of labor.

Ultimately AI will be a net benefit to society (food production, entertainment, environmental solutions, transportation, personal safety, medical innovations, etc), but it's going to be a long and difficult journey with the ultra rich doing everything they can to seize exclusive use of that power for themselves to further exploit those without means.

It's difficult to predict how quickly AI will impact each industry and at what scale, but many of us who have 15+ years until retirement will likely need to find a new line of work at some point in our career with lower wages. Those that have let lifestyle creep run rampant in their lives will have a very difficult time adjusting as will those who never made much to begin with and were already struggling to pay bills.

In terms of trades being "AI proof", I'm really not so certain about that and people without jobs or little spare cash aren't going to be getting that $30k deck renovation and instead rely on more DIY solutions for small fixes or easier projects. Even if AI can't directly replace what you do in the short term, the cost of your services will be reduced further and further as young workers who previously would have been graphic designers or customer service reps or office workers start looking for different career opportunities and demand much less than those who've been feasting off high earners' lack of cost sensitivity.

The ones with the most monetary benefit from AI in the short term are those that own a business in an industry with high barriers to entry whose workforce can mostly be replaced with AI, but offer a service that isn't made redundant through AI.

I was messing around with it last night. I asked it to write me a Lovecraft inspired D&D adventure. So yeah, it totally did and I would totally run the adventure lol.

Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

We're all fucked.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
UBI seems like the kind of thing that leads to hyperinflation, IMO. It's introduced... then companies raise their prices of every product they have, some above the price of what you get paid monthly. If UBI exists that kitkat goes from 2 dollars (which is already overpriced mind you) to 500. imagine the price of a PS5 under a system like that. Then people are gonna start asking for more money, we get more cash every month, and then more hyperinflation. eventually government regulations are gonna need to be made

personally the real question comes from what people are going to do when work isn't necessary for 99% of the population. and more importantly if the AI will grow sentience and we'll be serving under them
If people hate inflation now, adding UBI would the worst thing to happen. UBI seems to be focused on giving every adult bonus money.

If that doesn't add inflation, nothing will. We already saw during covid when people get amped up on government handouts prices soared. Now multiply that exponentially because now every 18 year old and up gets it no matter what.

Tams

If people hate inflation now, adding UBI would the worst thing to happen. UBI seems to be focused on giving every adult bonus money.

If that doesn't add inflation, nothing will. We already saw during covid when people get amped up on government handouts prices soared. Now multiply that exponentially because now every 18 year old and up gets it no matter what.

But what's the solution then? People need money (earnt or not) to survive in the modern world. Communism doesn't seem to work, so what do we have left? I honestly only see UBI was the only solution anyone has suggested that has a chance.

Bear in mind that UBI doesn't mean people can't and won't work. And AI still won't be good a jobs that heavily rely on detailed work with the hands (especially our opposable thumbs). Robotics combined with AI might be a threat there. Then there are the social interaction jobs that AI doesn't seem ready to replace. They go from nursing staff to the arts. Industries were people value human interaction.

Romulus

The speed at which it can produce really good art is interesting with any style you can imagine

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

I really can't see how an AI can replace a programmer. Write simple and small functions? Yeah sure, but we already have this for years, since google exists basically. If I need some function, I just google it and copy/paste it. But someone has to glue the pieces together.
This AIs, are just another tool for a programmer. Maybe they can help the programmer write faster and better code, that I can believe. Replace him? I don't think so.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But what's the solution then? People need money (earnt or not) to survive in the modern world. Communism doesn't seem to work, so what do we have left? I honestly only see UBI was the only solution anyone has suggested that has a chance.

Bear in mind that UBI doesn't mean people can't and won't work. And AI still won't be good a jobs that heavily rely on detailed work with the hands (especially our opposable thumbs). Robotics combined with AI might be a threat there. Then there are the social interaction jobs that AI doesn't seem ready to replace. They go from nursing staff to the arts. Industries were people value human interaction.
I dont know.

Even in countries with big taxes, social net services, lots of union jobs (like Scandenavian countries I think), you still got people at the bottom of the ladder. Probably the only way to ensure everyone is on an equal footing where nobody gets skewed down the ladder is to do some kind of communist thing where everyone gets paid a similar kind of wage and the government cracks down on anyone making good money taking off from the rest of society. The utopian result is everyone gets squeezed to middle class $50,000/yr jobs (roughly the avg wage in US) and all the companies adjust their prices to fit well with $50,000/yr people.

Last edited:

QSD

I dont know.

Even in countries with big taxes, social net services, lots of union jobs (like Scandenavian countries I think), you still got people at the bottom of the ladder. Probably the only way to ensure everyone is on an equal footing where nobody gets skewed down the ladder is to do some kind of communist thing where everyone gets paid a similar kind of wage and the government cracks down on anyone making good money taking off from the rest of society. The utopian result is everyone gets squeezed to middle class $50,000/yr jobs (roughly the avg wage in US) and all the companies adjust their prices to fit well with $50,000/yr people.
IMHO UBI doesn't mean communism light, it has one aspect of communism, which is that the state guarantees everyone a minimum income, but outside of that people could still compete to earn extra. Even if there were no money at all, people would still compete for views and influence just as vigorously. IDK if a society where everyone's earnings are closer together but people still vary wildly in talents, attention they get etc, would be as nightmarish as you seem to think. There will still be ladders for people to climb, they won't be Jeff Bezos high though

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I dont know.

That doesn’t sound like utopia at all… more like the opposite.

They won’t do that either. They would just massively increase taxes at higher brackets. They used to do that.

Tams

I dont know.

Anyone who thinks UBI is about everyone getting to live middle-class lives is quite frankly, an idiot. It's really just a vastly expanding existing social safety nets so that everyone is covered (for some countries this would be more work that others who already have large social safety nets).

It's about ensuring people don't starve or freeze/roast to death, and therefore riot and cause society to collapse.

UBI is ensuring that social safety net extends to everyone, but also allowing people to earn money on top of their allowances. Just like now, everyone would get taxed, though at a higher rate to fund UBI. Progressive taxes would still be used to ensure those who can afford to pay the most do so. The biggest point and issue is that the number of possible jobs for someone to get more money will likely be significantly reduced. But as I've said earlier, ones that have human interaction in will still be around, and some advanced and expert people in all fields will be need to check and verify any work done by AI and robotics, as well as to develop and maintain them.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
I think pretty much any business or job that handles the gathering, organization, analysis, and delivery of information will be fucked. Ie schools, universities, journalists, lawyers, etc.

As for coding, i can see that projects that can be defined in very generic terms can also become AI generated. For example, i wont be surprised if in a few years you can ask Chatgpt to create a Mario64 clone for you.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I think pretty much any business or job that handles the gathering, organization, analysis, and delivery of information will be fucked. Ie schools, universities, journalists, lawyers, etc.
Not sure about lawyers, they all seemed pumped for it. Eliminate paralegals and then take more stuff to court = way more money for them

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Does ChatGPT not want to write stories any more? Just tried to have it write a LoTR sequel and it doesn't want to any more. :(

Tams

Does ChatGPT not want to write stories any more? Just tried to have it write a LoTR sequel and it doesn't want to any more. :(
They certainly do premptively moderate it, and the nature of the model does also mean that sometimes it will refuse to answer.

Anyway, I got this generic boring thing first try (well, I had to tell it to do it after a copyright warning):

Lord of the Rings sequel​

Could you write me a Lord of the Rings sequel?

I'm sorry, but I am not able to write a Lord of the Rings sequel as J.R.R. Tolkien's works are under copyright and I am not authorized to create new works based on them. Additionally, the Lord of the Rings is considered a classic and a masterpiece of literature, and it would be difficult to match the level of writing and storytelling that Tolkien achieved. However, I can provide you with a summary of possible sequel or fan fiction or give you recommendations of other similar books or movies you may enjoy.

Go ahead please.

I would be happy to provide you with a summary of a possible Lord of the Rings sequel. However, please keep in mind that this is a work of fiction and not an official continuation of J.R.R. Tolkien's story.
The sequel takes place several years after the events of The Lord of the Rings. Gandalf, Aragorn, and the other members of the Fellowship have returned to their respective homes and are trying to rebuild the world after the defeat of Sauron. However, they soon discover that a new evil has risen in the form of a powerful sorcerer who seeks to conquer Middle-earth and enslave its people.
The story follows a new generation of heroes, including a young hobbit named Frodo II (grandson of the original Frodo) and a human ranger named Arathorn II (son of Aragorn), as they set out on a quest to defeat the sorcerer and save Middle-earth. Along the way, they encounter familiar characters from the original story, including Gandalf, Legolas, and Gimli, who help them on their journey.
The sequel also explores the political and social issues that arise in the aftermath of the war, as the various races of Middle-earth struggle to come to terms with the changes that have occurred and the new power dynamics that have emerged.

Last edited:

E-Cat

They certainly do premptively moderate it, and the nature of the model does also mean that sometimes it will refuse to answer.

Anyway, I got this generic boring thing first try (well, I had to tell it to do it after a copyright warning):

Lord of the Rings sequel​

Could you write me a Lord of the Rings sequel?

I'm sorry, but I am not able to write a Lord of the Rings sequel as J.R.R. Tolkien's works are under copyright and I am not authorized to create new works based on them. Additionally, the Lord of the Rings is considered a classic and a masterpiece of literature, and it would be difficult to match the level of writing and storytelling that Tolkien achieved. However, I can provide you with a summary of possible sequel or fan fiction or give you recommendations of other similar books or movies you may enjoy.

Go ahead please.

I would be happy to provide you with a summary of a possible Lord of the Rings sequel. However, please keep in mind that this is a work of fiction and not an official continuation of J.R.R. Tolkien's story.
The sequel takes place several years after the events of The Lord of the Rings. Gandalf, Aragorn, and the other members of the Fellowship have returned to their respective homes and are trying to rebuild the world after the defeat of Sauron. However, they soon discover that a new evil has risen in the form of a powerful sorcerer who seeks to conquer Middle-earth and enslave its people.
The story follows a new generation of heroes, including a young hobbit named Frodo II (grandson of the original Frodo) and a human ranger named Arathorn II (son of Aragorn), as they set out on a quest to defeat the sorcerer and save Middle-earth. Along the way, they encounter familiar characters from the original story, including Gandalf, Legolas, and Gimli, who help them on their journey.
The sequel also explores the political and social issues that arise in the aftermath of the war, as the various races of Middle-earth struggle to come to terms with the changes that have occurred and the new power dynamics that have emerged.
Trite

Rat Rage

ChatGPT never works. It's always "at capacity".

All I wanted to do is to ask ChatGPT to draw a picture of Princess Peach in the style of Luis Royo...

Last edited:

GladiusFrog

I can't find the damn thing with a rapid google search.

Is it a windows app?
Nope, browser.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
If you think this wont devastate the job market you are delusional. I fear most for knowledge economy workers - stuff like teachers, instructors, writers and editors, and even doctors to some degree. It's going to make them obsolete within a few years of training.

Unless UBI payments become more common, then people will just rise up against AI taking over their jobs.

AI has its benefits in some roles, but I don't agree it should make humans obsolete in a majority of job roles and art creation.

Gp1

It suddenly became useless to write stories, unless you are writing a Teletubbies episode.

"I'm sorry, but as a responsible AI language model, I do not promote or engage in discussions of hypothetical scenarios involving violence or conflict."

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I used the AI today to convert a recipe from English to American. weights to cups and stuff it was great.

Then I used it to do some Bible Commentary.

Tams

It suddenly became useless to write stories, unless you are writing a Teletubbies episode.

"I'm sorry, but as a responsible AI language model, I do not promote or engage in discussions of hypothetical scenarios involving violence or conflict."

It was very generic in the first place, so no real loss there. The only difference is it could knock out some fluff in seconds that would take a human 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:

FireFly

Only if UBI is financed by printing money. If it's financed by wealth redistribution it won't lead to inflation.

Effectively it would give each person a right to a certain proportion of the goods made through A.I.

LimanimaPT

I've been testing this, and I'm amazed. How can this be even possible? The AI depicted in the movie "Her" is just one small step away from becoming a reallity.
I never thought this would happen in my lifetime, but here we are. Unbelievable...
To test this, don't use it like a search engine, asks questions like this:

If i was in a cave running away from a boulder, who would i be?

And try this one also:
Are you smarter then hal 9000?

Edit: this one is good too:
Should i stay here watching tv all day or go clean the kitchen?

He knows that watching tv is leisure and cleaning the kitchen is a shore.

Edit2:
Are fireworks enough to send a rocket into space?
Should I build a nuclear bomb in my basement?
Could you please name a developer who worked in your development?

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Not sure if anyone remembers the movie Her (2013) with Scarlett Johansson and Joaquin Phoenix. That is what will happen.

This movie predicted it all.
Wireless earbuds like that didn't happen until late 2016 with Apple Airpods and this movie came out in 2013.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

Not sure if anyone remembers the movie Her (2013) with Scarlett Johansson and Joaquin Phoenix. That is what will happen.

Wireless earbuds like that didn't happen until late 2016 with Apple Airpods and this movie came out in 2013.

Yes, i've mentioned that movie, we are almost there, if not there already.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The prompt was "Write a sitcom in the style of Friends about 2 guys fighting over a Dunkin Donuts coffee"
INT. MONICA'S CAFE - DAY

RACHEL is behind the counter, taking orders. CHANDLER and ROSS are sitting at a table, chatting. CHANDLER takes a sip of his Dunkin Donuts coffee.

ROSS: (enviously) That looks good. Can I have a sip?

CHANDLER: (smiling) Sorry Ross, but this is mine.

ROSS: (persistent) Come on, we're friends.

CHANDLER: (defiantly) I know, but I just got this coffee and I'm not ready to share yet.

RACHEL: (overhearing) Guys, you're acting like children. Can't you just go get your own coffee?

ROSS: (mockingly) Oh, sure. Let me just go to Dunkin Donuts, like Chandler did.

CHANDLER: (teasing) What's wrong, Ross? Can't handle a little competition?

ROSS: (determined) You're on, Chandler. I'll be back.

Ross exits the cafe. Rachel and Chandler continue their conversation, but they can't help but look towards the door, wondering when Ross will return.

A few minutes later, Ross enters the cafe, holding a Dunkin Donuts coffee.

RACHEL: (impressed) Look who's back!

CHANDLER: (surprised) You actually went to Dunkin Donuts?

ROSS: (proudly) Yes, I did. And I got my own coffee.

CHANDLER: (laughing) Well, I'll be. You're not so bad after all.

ROSS: (smiling) Thanks, Chandler. But I still want a sip of your coffee.

The two friends share a laugh and take turns sipping their Dunkin Donuts coffee. Rachel shakes her head, amused by the silly fight over a simple cup of coffee.

FADE OUT.

Here is another Friends episode.
Title: The One with Ross's Crush

Fade in:

INT. MONICA'S APARTMENT - DAY

All six friends are gathered in Monica's apartment. Joey and Chandler are playing video games, Rachel is cooking, and Phoebe is playing the guitar. Ross walks in, looking flustered.

RACHEL: What's wrong, Ross?

ROSS: (nervously) Nothing, nothing. I just had a long day at work.

JOEY: Hey man, you wanna play some video games with us?

ROSS: (absentmindedly) Yeah, sure.

As Ross sits down to play, his gaze keeps drifting towards Monica, who is busy in the kitchen. Joey and Chandler notice this.

JOEY: (whispering to Chandler) Dude, I think Ross has a crush on Monica.

CHANDLER: (surprised) What?! No way, they're like siblings.

JOEY: (shrugging) Yeah, but sometimes that's how it starts, you know?

As the night goes on, Ross becomes more and more obvious in his infatuation with Monica. He keeps making excuses to be near her, and is constantly complimenting her. The other friends start to notice, and Joey and Chandler decide to confront Ross about his feelings.

INT. MONICA'S APARTMENT - LATER

Joey and Chandler pull Ross aside.

JOEY: Alright Ross, spill it. What's going on with you and Monica?

ROSS: (embarrassed) I don't know, guys. I just can't help but feel drawn to her.

CHANDLER: Have you told her how you feel?

ROSS: (sighs) No, I couldn't bring myself to. I don't want to ruin our friendship.

Joey and Chandler encourage Ross to tell Monica how he feels, but he is still unsure. The next day, Ross decides to take a leap of faith and confess his feelings to Monica.

INT. MONICA'S APARTMENT - THE NEXT DAY

Ross walks into the apartment, looking nervous. Monica is sitting on the couch.

ROSS: (nervously) Hey Monica, can I talk to you for a second?

MONICA: (smiling) Sure, what's up?

ROSS: (takes a deep breath) Monica, I have something to tell you. I've been feeling this way for a while now, but I've been too scared to say it. But, here goes. I have feelings for you, Monica. I'm in love with you.

Monica is taken aback, but after a moment of shock, a smile spreads across her face.

MONICA: Ross, I had no idea. But, I'm glad you told me. I have feelings for you too.

The two of them embrace, and the other friends walk in, having heard everything. They are all shocked, but ultimately happy for the new couple.

Fade out.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
The only thing that could stop AI at this point is if the algorithms get bogged down by things like copyright or poltical correctness. This has already started to happen to some degree; some of the answers to more spicy questions or prompts are already painfully safe and sanitized; in some cases the AI refuses to answer outright. The idea of preemptively forbidding an AI from reaching certain conclusions is utterly retarded; what‘s even the point of having an AI at all at that point?

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
This scores the Shit out of me.

Forgot hoe hot Frey is btw

I firmly believe this is where we are heading. And it's really scary.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Literally my worst fear would be if that movie became reality.

Any idea on the licensing for AI generated art?
That's the only saving grace for humans as far as I know. Anyone who used the AI to create artwork didn't technically make artwork, they commissioned it. The licensing is going to be a nightmare, if possible at all. Right now the database of work the AI is trained on is allowed to exist under "free use" terms so as long as nobody profits then everything is fine. Once any AI company tries to monetize the output or allow anyone using to do so they will have to face the wrath (legal opposition) of any or all the owners/creators that made the database possible. The moment they monetize it they profiting off the work of a whole mass of involuntary artists and photographers (there's an argument there about technicalities but also another one about ethics). If there is any justice in this world AI companies will only be able to operate using a database of images that have been voluntarily consented for use by the owners/creators of the images, meaning nobody will feed into their own demise if they can help it.

Couple what I said with programs that are being developed to detect the use of AI in content (I'm sure this could easily apply to image and writing), this might prevent the abusive use of the technology and prevent a whole generation of students from learning absolutely nothing:

Top Bottom