• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChatGPT and the (near) future of AI

jadedm17

AI being able to mimic human behaviour, which could create a lot of problematic situations. For example, an AI being able to mimic human behaviour could then easily be able to manipulate humans.
This. Canadian Prepper on Youtube discussed this recently, how in the future we may not even know which videos are actual humans.
The speed and magnitude AI can operate could easily drown out humans if we're not careful, that's my fear; Deepfakes on a mass scale.

Heck how do I know you're real or vice-versa? :|

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This. Canadian Prepper on Youtube discussed this recently, how in the future we may not even know which videos are actual humans.
The speed and magnitude AI can operate could easily drown out humans if we're not careful, that's my fear; Deepfakes on a mass scale.

It's true. In the future we won't know what art or content is created by an AI and what is created by humans.

When I was a child, I used to dream about a future with advanced AI and robots, but now it's happening I'm dreading it.

QSD

I would wonder why deepfakes would be employed to such a scale they drown out humans. I mean you could do that theoretically, but really armies of NPC's are overrated IMHO if you want to influence public opinion or some shit. Just like with human influencers, you need just a dozen or so, really convincing, entertaining, witty, irreverent and uniquely charismatic deepfakes/AI profiles. But that would require so much resources you might as well just get Jake Paul or smth

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
width=1024
width=640

Wow. Beautiful woman. Thx.

winjer

Gold Member
ChatGTP has been very good for NVidia. Very good indeed.

The rising popularity of ChatGPT, an AI-powered language tool, has turned NVIDIA GPUs into literal gold for the booming AI business.

ChatGPT and other language/image/video generation tools rely heavily on AI processing power and that's where NVIDIA's main strength lies. The company may be known for its blistering-fast gaming GPUs but AI is another strong suit and one in which the company has seen more success in recent years. NVIDIA definitely has a major edge in AI over the competition which includes Intel and AMD.

Not only these tools are where AI is a big deal but there's also a huge demand for faster AI power in the data center, cloud, and automotive segment where NVIDIA also dominates with its GPUs. The company has seen a massive growth of over 40% in just a single month & the current stock stands at an impressive 45%+ growth (this month).

oTEsARD.png

SJRB

Gold Member
I am learning so much during my chats with GPT. This is crazy.

I give it an abstract concept, then ask it to translate the concept to code and it just gives me a huge syntax of Python code.

Absolutely wild.

Last edited:

Tams

I am learning so much during my chats with GPT. This is crazy.

I give it an abstract concept, then ask it to translate the concept to code and it just gives me a huge syntax of Python code.

Absolutely wild.

It doesn't work most of the time though and attempts to fix it often just bork it even more.

It's still mightily impressive, and if you know some coding you can certainly fix it up very easily.

Jon Canon

It's still mightily impressive, and if you know some coding you can certainly fix it up very easily
This.

It will make junior coders much more efficient, not obsolete.

You need understanding and perhaps even more important, motivation, to work with code on any level.

Most people dont have that.

sinnergy

This.

It will make junior coders much more efficient, not obsolete.

You need understanding and perhaps even more important, motivation, to work with code on any level.

Most people dont have that.
Yup, mindset that your world is changing and you need to embrace.

Tams

After a false start and having to bin a conversation, I managed to get ChatGPT to write a VBA macro that would have taken me at least an entire weekend to do myself. It only took half an hour, including the wrong path it got itself down.

I couldn't get it to use a Mersenne Twister though, but that's a much more complex thing that I couldn't code myself at all.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
'Amazingly, ChatGPT gets hired at L3 when interviewed for a coding position,' reads a Google document, but ChatGPT itself says it can't replicate human creativity and problem-solving skills.

SiteSeer

I tried if the bot understands humor and punchlines of jokes

why is the following joke funny? My wife told me she'll break my keyboard if I don't get off the computer. I'm not too worried, I think she's jokinlkjhfakljn m,.nbziyoao78yv87dfaoyuofaytdf

The joke is supposed to be funny because it plays on the idea that the speaker's wife is frustrated with him spending too much time on the computer and is making a playful threat to damage it as a way to get him to stop. The sudden shift in the end to nonsensical letters and numbers adds an element of absurdity and surprise.

why is this joke funny?

A man walks into a magic forest and tries to cut down a talking tree. "You can't cut me down," the tree complains. "I'm a talking tree!" The man responds, "You may be a talking tree, but you will dialogue."

The joke is funny because it uses word play to create a pun. The tree says "I'm a talking tree!" and the man responds "You may be a talking tree, but you will dialogue." This plays on the multiple meanings of the word "dialogue," which can mean a conversation or discussion, as well as a verb meaning "to cut down." The punchline is unexpected and creates a humorous contrast between the tree's ability to talk and the man's intention to cut it down.
i find it curious how confidently incorrect it is, as it doesn't know but won't say 'im not sure' or 'i dont get it'.

Razvedka

Banned
Eventually there will be some equivalent to the Voight-Kampff test created for any sort of interaction online that is meant to involve human beings. Super-captchas designed to establish with a reasonable level of certainty that the given user is a real person, or that the video stream he's on isn't running a real time deepfake (etc). At some point there will be laws or standards enacted over this.

But based on how rapidly this technology is developing, chaos will reign for a good bit until the dinosaurs in charge realize something has to happen.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Shit is absolutely useless for some more advance coding, both Github Copilot and ChatGPT will give you some basic level code.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
"I'm sorry, I can't answer that because my sponsor ABC Corp believes the results to contradict their marketing material."

Can't wait for even more sanitized bullshit when Bing incorporates this into their search results. Watered down intelligence... yay.

I asked it why are pitbulls are the most dangerous breed of dog. It said they weren't and its the owner yada yada.

I asked it to write a script for Pacific Rim 2. It was dogshit.

we're fine.

LimanimaPT

It's unbelievable, that we have this bot that does some incredible stuff that almost thinks like a person, and all that most people can do is try to find flaws and critize it. I am amazed at this tech, and this is just the beginning.

I can only find positive words about this.
I'm completely amazed that this bot can comprehend very complex questions in human laguage. I'm amazed by the fact that this bot keeps the context from previous questions.

I'm not sure if most prople understand what is happening when this bot responds.

I'd get the same response if I'd walk into a bar in San Francisco and ask these questions lol.

qfq4ALD.jpg

Thing is ultimately just another tool used for deception and information warfare.

Only conclusion here is that only white people need to improve.

We won y'all!

It's unbelievable, that we have this bot that does some incredible stuff that almost thinks like a person, and all that most people can do is try to find flaws and critize it. I am amazed at this tech, and this is just the beginning.

I'm completely amazed that this bot can comprehend very complex questions in human laguage. I'm amazed by the fact that this bot keeps the context from previous questions.

I'm not sure if most prople understand what is happening when this bot responds.

Being amazed at a tech does not mean it shouldn't be criticized.

ChatGPT has shown that AI is getting exponentially better. It will need a lot of data to get even better so OpenAI - MS partnership makes sense as they'll get all that Bing data. Google, Facebook, TikTok, Twitter, etc can have their own solution as well - a lot of ChatGPT's data was coming from them after all. Andrej does a way better explaining ChatGPT and building it from scratch than I ever could here.

ntropy

you're not understanding that it's the manipulation of this amazing tech that is being ridiculed

Politics politics politics. Stay outraged over how it responds to prompts that don’t matter while AI transforms productivity and we edge closer to AGI.

I think you're ignoring that the bias is a very important part of the AI. I also think saying "responds to prompts that don't matter" is oversimplifying it because ultimately the algorithm's bias does matter. The tech is amazing and already passes the Turing test in some instances, but the criticisms are valid.

Luckily ChatGPT won't be the only solution. I expect a lot of these giants with free access to almost an infinite amount of data will provide their similar solutions.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I think you're ignoring that the bias is a very important part of the AI. I also think saying "responds to prompts that don't matter" is oversimplifying it because ultimately the algorithm's bias does matter. The tech is amazing and already passes the Turing test in some instances, but the criticisms are valid.
Okay, boomer.

Wildebeest

It seems to give pretty straightforward textbook answers to unbiased political questions.

what are the risks of being apolitical?

Being apolitical, or avoiding involvement in political matters, can result in missing out on opportunities to shape the laws, policies, and decisions that affect one's daily life, community, and society. It can also lead to a lack of engagement in the democratic process and potentially hinder efforts to address important social, economic, and political issues. Furthermore, remaining apolitical in a world that is increasingly shaped by political forces can result in a lack of understanding of how the political system works, how to participate in it, and how to hold elected officials accountable.

is society at risk if the majority of people become apolitical?

Yes, if the majority of people become apolitical, it can put society at risk. A lack of political engagement and participation from a large segment of the population can result in a fragmented and ineffective democracy. This can lead to a lack of accountability for those in power and a lack of representation for marginalized groups. When people are not actively engaged in the political process, decisions are often made without the input and consent of the citizens they affect, potentially leading to policies and laws that do not align with the values and needs of society. In such a scenario, it becomes easier for special interests to dominate and for political corruption to thrive, which can further erode the foundations of democracy.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It seems to give pretty straightforward textbook answers to unbiased political questions.
Real answer:

The biggest risk of being apolitical is removing yourself from the massive soul-sucking no-win sinkhole that is political discourse in current_year, enabling you to live life in peace and contentment on your own terms instead of remaining perpetually outraged about things you have no control over.

Wildebeest

Real answer:

The biggest risk of being apolitical is removing yourself from the massive soul-sucking no-win sinkhole that is political discourse in current_year, enabling you to live life in peace and contentment on your own terms instead of remaining perpetually outraged about things you have no control over.
It did say, "In such a scenario, it becomes easier for special interests to dominate".

Depends on what you call politics. Being angry on Twitter for one day until you forget what you are angry about is not really politics compared to attending a local meeting to discuss drainage and flooding.

Politics politics politics. Stay outraged over how it responds to prompts that don’t matter while AI transforms productivity and we edge closer to AGI.
That is literally the reason to be outraged. We are staring at the cultural and social equivalent of splitting the atom and people are supposed to just sit back and let it happen without any questioning or pushback?

Think how much better the world would be if there was actual pushback against Facebook in 2005. Or Google when they started collecting and collating personal data. Or the Patriot Act. Or DMCA. Or Covid. Or literally any other massive social upheaval that we were all told to sit down and let happen without making a fuss.

This is going to happen - that is why people need to be as loud as possible so it happens correctly. Otherwise the AI is going to determine that it is a better idea to kill 10 million babies than serve NeoGAF as a search result and this site won't even exist anymore.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That is literally the reason to be outraged. We are staring at the cultural and social equivalent of splitting the atom and people are supposed to just sit back and let it happen without any questioning or pushback?

Think how much better the world would be if there was actual pushback against Facebook in 2005. Or Google when they started collecting and collating personal data. Or the Patriot Act. Or DMCA. Or Covid. Or literally any other massive social upheaval that we were all told to sit down and let happen without making a fuss.

This is going to happen - that is why people need to be as loud as possible so it happens correctly. Otherwise the AI is going to determine that it is a better idea to kill 10 million babies than serve NeoGAF as a search result and this site won't even exist anymore.
Be as loud as possible somewhere that isn't here, if you must. And if AGI is deciding whether NeoGAF exists then the existence of NeoGAF will be the least of anyone's concerns.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I can't stop using ChatGPT to write episodes of friends.

Title: "The One Where Phoebe Meets Tom Brady"

Scene: Central Perk

The friends are all gathered around when Phoebe enters, excitedly.

Phoebe: "Guys, you won't believe who I just met!"

Monica: "Who?"

Phoebe: "Tom Brady!"

Chandler: "The Tom Brady? The quarterback?"

Phoebe: "Yes! He's here to do some shopping and we just struck up a conversation."

Joey: "No way! I'm a huge fan! Can I meet him?"

Phoebe: "Of course! He said he'd love to meet all of you."

Scene: A Clothing Store

The friends are all gathered around Tom Brady, who is trying on clothes. Phoebe is explaining her beliefs about the universe to Tom.

Phoebe: "You see, Tom, I believe that the universe is made up of energy and that we're all connected by this energy."

Tom: "That's interesting, Phoebe. I've never thought about it that way."

Phoebe: "I just have a strong intuition about these things. It's like I can feel the energy around us."

Tom: "Well, I have to admit, you do have a unique perspective on life."

Scene: Central Perk

The friends are all gathered around, talking about their experience with Tom Brady.

Rachel: "He was so nice and down-to-earth."

Monica: "And so talented! I can't believe we got to meet him."

Chandler: "I know, it's not every day you get to meet a living legend."

Phoebe: "And he was really open to my ideas about the universe. I think he has a deep understanding of the world."

Joey: "Yeah, and he's even better in person than he is on the field."

The episode ends with the friends reminiscing about their unforgettable experience meeting Tom Brady and Phoebe sharing her unique insights with her friends.

Last edited:

Toons

Are people literally trying to project their political brain rot onto an AI here? Thats... thats kinda hilarious

Toons

As an artist in not that worried. Many of the buying clientele for artists are buying to have a piece or the artists work. Not to simulate it. Artists will always be better innovators and that is how they will stay ahead.

The drawing of Alucard a couple pages back was neat but if Alucard didn't already exist as a template then the ai couldn't have made it. It would've just made a Dracula.

This will simply force more creative innovation our or artists. Sure some will take a hit if you rely on comissuon style stuff bit any creative project will need people. Traditional artists like myself will remain regardless.

Tams

But... there wasn't much pushback.

That tells you a lot about human nature. It also tells you that most people don't give a shit about anything by that related to them.

I have been messing with this for a while. There are so, so many jobs that will be changed by this. Compare it to when the programmer/it tech staff got access to the internet. Then strap that idea on a dildo shaped rocket.

Jennings

Google releasing their AI in 3, 2....

Google's AI is called Bard. It will be widely released later this year, but will run through a small group of select users first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom