• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CEO of HOUSEMARQUE: we are truly thankful to our publishing partner Sony, who has given us an opportunity to work on something very risky.

Keihart

Because you're completely ignoring what i'm saying.

Second party was a special case for cases like Rare, who was only partially owned by nintendo, or for pokemon which is co owned by Nintendo and Game Freak

There was no nuance to Insomniac and PlayStation's releationship or the games, so second party is a redundent term
That doesn't make the term redundant. The conditions of a third party dev working in a first party game still holds. Whatever the origins of the term, it was never limited to that specific situation. It's not like it started to being used yersteday to describe games in this specific way.

If you think that the dev not being part of the first party studios it's irrelevant, then yes, it's redundant.
Err... Insomniac games were mostly 1st-party... the exceptions are the game their own like Sunset Overdrive, Fuse, etc that are 3rd-party games.

Insomniac was considered a 2nd-party studio for Sony.
yes.

Last edited:
If you think that the dev not being part of the first party studios it's irrelevant, then yes, it's redundant.

Basically this. It's irrelevent

Housemarque might do it as some insider thing because they're a predomintley a sony developer, but at the end of the day, they're still a third party developer, and the games they produce are first party

Last edited:

Keihart

Basically this. It's irrelevent
I don't know what means irrelevent (i kid), but i don't find it irrelevant. It's certainly information not contained in saying simply first party.
Either way, there is no reason to get everyone panties in a bunch every time someone writes second party, i think most people understand what the term is referring to.

Unless you are PS marketing team, then i would definitely see a problem with it.

Last edited:
I don't know what means irrelevent (i kid), but i don't find it irrelevant. It's certainly information not contained in saying simply first party.
Either way, there is no reason to get everyone panties in a bunch every time someone writes second party, it think most people understand what the term is referring to.

Unless you are PS marketing team, then i would definitely see a problem with it.

The argument doesn't even stem didn't even stem from second party developer. It stemmed from the games.

Second party developer is one thing which I can understand, but calling a game second party is not only redundant, it's wrong

Didn't want it to get so heated, but i'm petty, and hubbert or whatever his name was decided to be a wanker so yeah

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Excuse me if I'm missing something, but I don't see Nintendo differentiating between 1st or 3rd party here? It only seems like they are distinguishing what is licensed as a Nintendo product and what is not.
They have a separate section with third party games. The clear third party games have the asterisks in this section to differentiate them from 1st party games published by Nintendo.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190425_3e.pdf

In all of the games listed in that particular section, there are two that stand out. Bayonetta and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. I just wanted to highlight how similar they are to Marvel’s Spiderman. Marvel/Sega owns the IP, is licensed to Sony/Nintendo who thens publishes the game. Third party developer makes those games.

Last edited:
The argument doesn't even stem didn't even stem from second party developer. It stemmed from the games.

Second party developer is one thing which I can understand, but calling a game second party is not only redundant, it's wrong

Didn't want it to get so heated, but i'm petty, and hubbert or whatever his name was decided to be a wanker so yeah

100% agree with this.

Like if we were to go by the generally accepted definition of second party game (a game developed by an independent studio exclusively for the publisher) then games like Shadow of the Colossus remake are no longer first party games, even though the original is unquestionably first party. Like how dumb is that??

Last edited:

muteZX

Banned
Closing the Returnal topic. Next gen game mechanics, not those PS2 bullshits Housemarque. Avatar shooting things with idiotic AI in a totally static environment. Zero next gen AI, enemy movement patterns, level design, traversing, physics. Rich, comprehensive, inspiring gameplay that's not able to run on that PS2. Returnal is a recycled, tired, pathetic PS2 gameplay for a shocking 80 euros. Adoring and buying this trivial game at full price borders on personality disorder. Let the boys email me, I'll teach them how to do it.

Update: 1080p/"50fps" .. what a shame ..

Last edited:
Top Bottom