• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Fighting Collection Announced

The box art for this is so nice.
capcom-fighting-collection-artwork.jpg

I'm pretty sure Hyper is the same as the PS2 version.

The "Super Turbo" version of Vega (JP: Balrog; the Spanish claw guy) has a bug where the command for his wall jump is Down, Kick, Up which is backwards from the usual Down, Up, Kick. May sound miniscule to some but to those of us with the muscle memory, it's a deal breaker.

Oh well, I can play with every other character then 😂

Even though I can play all this games for free on Fightcade 2 (with probably a better netcode), I will purchase the physical edition just to support the initiative.

Last edited:

Pejo

These are just romsets with save states for training, but its what I want. No changes or bullshit, just the pure arcade versions. With online.

I can't wait. I miss playing Vampire Savior.
Did they not censor the Darkstalkers stuff after all? I remember a big hubbabaloo that they were going to tone down the gore and some of the moves.

Great news if true.

Checked out some of the games briefly. Great package overall.

It always reminds me how awesome the animation is in the Vampire games. That is to say, now that I have this on Steam, it's likely that my Saturn copy of Vampire Savior may see a lot less action.

radewagon

These are just romsets with save states for training, but its what I want. No changes or bullshit, just the pure arcade versions. With online.

I can't wait. I miss playing Vampire Savior.
While I get wanting arcade romsets because of the authenticity behind such a setup, I also am really disappointed with the choice to simply include romsets in many of these compilations. The 30th Street Fighter compilation and this new Fighting Collection are both held back a great deal by the decision to simply use romsets. In the Street Fighter set, we are missing the additions made in titles like Alpha 2 Gold and Alpha 3 Max. In this new set, we are missing out on the additions made to Darkstalkers in Chaos Tower. While romsets are nice to have, they also ensure that we are not getting the best version of some of these games. It's crazy that the best versions of Alpha 3 and Darkstalkers are on the PSP of all things. It's also crazy that we get 5 versions of Darkstalkers and not one of them has the full roster.

SkylineRKR

I still have an SLS Saturn pad. I actually prefer pad over stick, except for charge characters. It did work with PS4 I think, but the lack of specific buttons was always a pain. I'll use a HRAP Hayabusa Pro N now.

While I get wanting arcade romsets because of the authenticity behind such a setup, I also am really disappointed with the choice to simply include romsets in many of these compilations. The 30th Street Fighter compilation and this new Fighting Collection are both held back a great deal by the decision to simply use romsets. In the Street Fighter set, we are missing the additions made in titles like Alpha 2 Gold and Alpha 3 Max. In this new set, we are missing out on the additions made to Darkstalkers in Chaos Tower. While romsets are nice to have, they also ensure that we are not getting the best version of some of these games. It's crazy that the best versions of Alpha 3 and Darkstalkers are on the PSP of all things. It's also crazy that we get 5 versions of Darkstalkers and not one of them has the full roster.

I agree with a few things, mainly the Darkstalkers complaints. Multiple versions benefits no one since not all will be as active.

Previous builds of Vampire Savior, like the majestic Saturn port, are basically all 3 versions of VS in one. They let you pick Donovan, Pyron and Phobos in Vampire Savior, but you can also change the game to VS2 or VH2. Which changes the colors, music and other things.

With SF Collection I found it glaring that SFZ3 didn't feature the console roster. And for some reason Capcom didn't bother to put Upper on it (likely because it runs on Naomi).

Last edited:
As one of the biggest Capcom fans on this forum (maybe the biggest?), I agree with this.

They went through a phase of releasing compilations during the 6th gen, and I still own those because in many cases, they provided both the arcade ROM but also a console version as an unlockable.

For example, the Vampire collection on PS2 has a thing where you get the original arcade Vampire Savior by default, but its "alternate" unlockable version is the Saturn version, which (as you said) has the full roster. (For a while, when I was a teenager, I was a Donovan main, so I had come to expect him to show up in Vampire Savior, not knowing that he wasn't in the original arcade version of the game.)

The PS2/Xbox version of "Alpha Anthology" has all the mainline Alpha games (INCLUDING Alpha 2 Gold) and each game has an alternate unlockable. I have the Japanese version so:

- Street Fighter Zero 2's alternate game is Street Fighter Alpha 2 (the US version which actually has somewhat significant differences)
- Street Fighter Zero 3's alternate game is Street Fighter Zero 3 Dash, the arcade variant of the console versions which have all the console characters (Guile, DeeJay, etc )
- Street Fighter Zero's variant is "Hyper Street Fighter Zero" which operates exactly like Hyper Street Fighter II (select any character from the Zero series against any other character). They threw in a bunch of whacky, fun, half-finished stuff -- like a "Marvel-ism" which makes the characters behave like they do in the Marvel Vs series, a Street Fighter III-ism that gives the characters a parry ability, etc.

I don't see why they can't take this approach of having the "main" game being the arcade perfect one, and an alternate unlockable one, for these modern collections.

SkylineRKR

Yeah Upper is in the PS2 version and being a former Saturn nut that owned all Capcom fighters for it, I found it superior to the Saturn version + Upper was unlockable. It was the first port I thought this is better. DC was worse, PSX obviously too. PSP was handheld.

Saturn version had some shit going on with slowdown, load times, muffled announcer and bad transparencies. Basically, the absolute best Capcom to Saturn port is Vampire Savior which I rate higher than the Arcade version.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m playing this on Steam with a DualShock 4 and the dpad does nothing but the left analog stick controls movement. I don’t see an option to switch this to the dpad instead. Is this not possible?

edit: Figured it out, had to go into the Steam settings and enable PlayStation 4 controller support.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
This collection is so good! It’s so interesting to play through all of these Darkstalkers games back to back and see what the differences between them were. This is making me want a Darkstalkers 4.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ugh Cyberbots is hard… have any of you beaten it yet?

Edit: beat it finally

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
As one of the biggest Capcom fans on this forum (maybe the biggest?), I agree with this.

They went through a phase of releasing compilations during the 6th gen, and I still own those because in many cases, they provided both the arcade ROM but also a console version as an unlockable.

For example, the Vampire collection on PS2 has a thing where you get the original arcade Vampire Savior by default, but its "alternate" unlockable version is the Saturn version, which (as you said) has the full roster. (For a while, when I was a teenager, I was a Donovan main, so I had come to expect him to show up in Vampire Savior, not knowing that he wasn't in the original arcade version of the game.)

The PS2/Xbox version of "Alpha Anthology" has all the mainline Alpha games (INCLUDING Alpha 2 Gold) and each game has an alternate unlockable. I have the Japanese version so:

- Street Fighter Zero 2's alternate game is Street Fighter Alpha 2 (the US version which actually has somewhat significant differences)
- Street Fighter Zero 3's alternate game is Street Fighter Zero 3 Dash, the arcade variant of the console versions which have all the console characters (Guile, DeeJay, etc )
- Street Fighter Zero's variant is "Hyper Street Fighter Zero" which operates exactly like Hyper Street Fighter II (select any character from the Zero series against any other character). They threw in a bunch of whacky, fun, half-finished stuff -- like a "Marvel-ism" which makes the characters behave like they do in the Marvel Vs series, a Street Fighter III-ism that gives the characters a parry ability, etc.

I don't see why they can't take this approach of having the "main" game being the arcade perfect one, and an alternate unlockable one, for these modern collections.
I think that’s a giant flaw in the industry as a whole. Either they don’t have the source code, they aren’t doing any research, or they just don’t care enough to make that a priority with these releases. It makes a fan who played these games feel exactly like how some people described, like they are not giving them the best experience or version of these games and Capcom should want to give us the best version. I’ve got Alpha 3 MAX on my PSTV where I can use a DualShock 3 to play it. I would rather play that than the Alpha series in the newer Anniversary collection. For the most part, owning DarkStalkers 3 is enough for someone wanting a wholesome version of DarkStalkers. Cyberbots has been a PS1 Classic on PSN for years now.

I feel like Capcom has some odd direction at times. I grew up with Capcom games at the arcade and at home. I’ve also seen them make better decisions during the PS1/PS2/DC generations. I feel like they’re oblivious to this type of thinking and they have the North American Capcom branch marketing it regardless. Here’s classic Capcom, except let me show you the better version of this classic by pulling out a legacy console. They’re on a winning streak with their modern releases, but maybe they need to rethink the whole output of their legacy stuff.

I have yet to boot this up cause I’m waiting to go back home, but I’ve played these games already. I’m waiting to play this on a modern console. I wish diehard fans would work for these companies sometimes.

Last edited:

cireza

What the fuck snk vs capcom is on switch? 😱
It's the Neo Geo Pocket game. Absolutely brilliant. Must play. The collection is totally worth it.

There is also the Card Fighter game (separately). Great fun.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
This game is making me wonder - if Capcom did make a Darkstalkers 4 but purposely kept it 2D and with a similar art style to the originals, but with new characters, backgrounds, etc... and maybe even some anime cutscenes like Sonic Origins, do you think people would be willing to pay full price for it? Or is the age of 2D just permanently over?

radewagon

This game is making me wonder - if Capcom did make a Darkstalkers 4 but purposely kept it 2D and with a similar art style to the originals, but with new characters, backgrounds, etc... and maybe even some anime cutscenes like Sonic Origins, do you think people would be willing to pay full price for it? Or is the age of 2D just permanently over?
I'm assuming you mean 2D graphics and not 2D gameplay. With fighting games, even though most of them have 3D graphics, the action usually still takes place within 2D plane. So, if you just mean 2D gameplay, then no, of course it's not over. If you mean 2D graphics, however.... yeah, it's permanently over. Arc System Works killed it.

SkylineRKR

The issue I have with SFV, KOF XV and all that is that the atmosphere and attention of detail of CPS2 and 3 games is gone. I still play Hyper Fighting and Third Strike for a reason.

What you want isn't a Darkstalkers by Capcom, you don't want this to look like SFV. You'll want ArcSys to do it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It's the Neo Geo Pocket game. Absolutely brilliant. Must play. The collection is totally worth it.

There is also the Card Fighter game (separately). Great fun.
Oooh yeah got that day one sorry i was thinking about the neogeo mvs version / or ps2 sequel

Oooh yeah got that day one sorry i was thinking about the neogeo mvs version / or ps2 sequel
That game (the one you're thinking of, SvC Chaos: SNK vs Capcom) had so much potential.

But it has an absolutely atrocious art direction, bad music, and just generally horrible aesthetics. Gameplay is fine I guess, but even then not as good as KoF 98 or 2002.

A botched opportunity...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
That game (the one you're thinking of, SvC Chaos: SNK vs Capcom) had so much potential.

But it has an absolutely atrocious art direction, bad music, and just generally horrible aesthetics. Gameplay is fine I guess, but even then not as good as KoF 98 or 2002.

A botched opportunity...
I just loved to see capcom fighters in SNK style. Still mad about that tekken x streetfighter with SF looking like tekken chars getting canned

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member

A botched opportunity...
I may be the only one but I really enjoyed it. I hope we can get a re-release someday.

I may be the only one but I really enjoyed it. I hope we can get a re-release someday.
I owned the game before, and when I did play it I enjoyed it. But I guess I had a mental roadblock because my expectations were very high. At the time the game came out, I was a huge SNK fan and I liked their fighting game characters and lore more than Capcom's. (But of course I always preferred Capcom gameplay.) I also got excited that this was the first crossover game that had someone OTHER than Morrigan as the Darkstalkers representative.

Alas, it was not to be (for me)...

Top Bottom