• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we have a civil, non-fanboy debate about the console power difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zathalus

At this point the differences are so minor that it really doesn't matter. Early on each machine was getting some big wins against the other but developers are so used to each machine now that almost everything is insignificant.

One console dropping to 53 vs 54 fps ultimately does not matter.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Shit bros page 1 was like all gifs and page 2 is like the philosopher's armchair circle.

Why?

What is?

Why is?
Shit bruh I'm getting second hand enlightened and shit. Wizard

Skifi28

Shit bros page 1 was like all gifs and page 2 is like the philosopher's armchair circle.

Why?

What is?

Why is?
Shit bruh I'm getting second hand enlightened and shit. Wizard
ro4xhri.gif

Dream-Knife

Banned
In modern architectures you aren't going to see a huge change with 2tf.

2tf is like doing a slight overclock on a card.

The entire power thing for consoles is silly. Just play the games. If you obsess over this type of thing, you're on the wrong platform anyway.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Power differences don’t really make a difference. When tools and engines do not utilize said differences. Also third party developers do not really care to maximize any consoles strengths.

Shoot for most common denominators and try to match quality and release
Look at insomniac and Nintendo as the always maximize their games to take advantage of their games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Power differential is secondary to developer time and budgeting. That being said...

OIP._0YaHJ5E3PN8XzIvGalYQwHaFg

llLeonhart

The Xbox series X on paper is roughly 20% more powerful than the PS5 from that teraflop number. I know teraflops are not the be all to system power but in the case of these 2 machines it is. They both use the same chipset and almost the same architecture.
You’re wrong right here. They are designed completely different. The I/O difference in and of itself is insane.
Not to mention Series X has a huge anchor to it called Series S.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The only thing that really matters is whether a console has games that you want to play. Power differences are stupid to argue over because you don't really get to choose how that power is used. At most you get a single toggle between performance and quality, and that's it. The rest is just preference and, in extreme cases, tribalism. I have all three and I play Switch games more than PS5 and XSX most of the time. Power be damned, I just want to have fun.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This is by far the closest MS and Sony have been in regards to overal power, to the point where its far more about the devs working on the machines than it is about hardware holding things back. Truthfully they both built amazing machines that exceeded what I think alot of us expected from either of them this generation.

Last edited:
*Mods if this turns into your typical Pony Boy vs Xbot thread, please shut it down

I want to talk about results and why the numbers do not match up. I have a fair understanding of hardware but do not understand why the results are the way they are.

The Xbox series X on paper is roughly 20% more powerful than the PS5 from that teraflop number. I know teraflops are not the be all to system power but in the case of these 2 machines it is. They both use the same chipset and almost the same architecture. My main problem with this is we do not see these results in the games. In fact, one could easily argue that the best looking games are on the Playstation 5. Many 3rd party games also run better on the Playstation 5.

I am not a very smart man but do know that 12 is much greater than 10. We should see a pretty big upgrade on series X games vs ps5 games but we do not. My only line of thought is the Series S holding the X back. Microsoft has the most powerful machine but the results do not show that in many peoples eyes. What are your thoughts on this? These machines are simply underpowered to meet 4k/60 but a 20% difference could get them much closer to that mark. If the series S is gimping the X, it makes the power difference moot.
No the Series X is 20% more powerful at fp32 compute. Compute is only 1 aspect of the GPU and the GPU is only aspect of a console. The other thing to consider is that the PS5 is the target platform due to being the market leader so games will optimize for PS5 more so than Xbox. The last issue is that it's easier to ship a product on Xbox without rewriting too much of your work due to the similarities of Xbox and PC (for PS5 it's build a game from scratch for its API or go home), you can even ship DX11 games on Xbox with 0 thought put into optimization and the games will run fine enough but won't at all tap into the power of the X or even S.

Consider all of these factors next time you see the difference in performance between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X (the X is waaaaaay more powerful, much more so than the Series X is to the PS5 but you pretty much never saw it in games) in games.

iHaunter

Console power is irrelevant. XSX has higher flops but lower frequency. So the power itself is almost the same in terms of performance. At least in terms of processing graphical data.

The important things here are the SSD for PS5 is far faster and the Liquid Cooling system is overall better.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I think the main two differentiators are: the Xbox RAM configuration is awful and Sony has a much better studio set up.

There are other things which also contribute such as a wider GPU not translating as easily into extra performance, but I think the RAM and studio co-ordination make the most difference.

SHA

If the next Crysis or anything at this tier runs on rtx 5030 and an 8c cpu then your point is invalid, games don't look that different, that's the whole point of the new entry series of gpus.

DanielG165

The two consoles are arguably evenly matched and trade blows, despite the on paper power difference. Essentially, they nearly share the same performance, but are setup differently. The Series X has its advantages and disadvantages, and the PS5 is the same story. It’s like a powerful muscle car with a giant supercharger vs a sports car with less horsepower overall, but is much lighter (which is funny, since the SX is the smaller console, but I digress). Oh, and the muscle car has a trailer with a smart car towing hooked up to it.

On paper, the muscle car severely outperforms the less powerful sports car, but put them side by side, and they’re essentially even. Maybe the sports car gets the edge over the other one day, depending on the conditions and driver behind the wheel, whereas the muscle car edges out the former on a different day.

Ultimately, it’s gonna come down to the individual developer and the engine used to make either console potentially have an edge over the other, and even then it’s typically a negligible difference in fps or resolution that your average person isn’t going to notice. Otherwise, the Series X and PS5 are pretty darn even.

midnightAI

The
worst take lol.
On the topic - xbox is faster but thanks to some clever use of hardware, ps5 is faster.
Kinda, but the PS5 is faster, XBox Series X is wider (GPU)

Basically, unless you fully use most of the CU's in the SX then the PS5 is mostly faster. So it's not really clever use of hardware on the PS5 but lack of full utilisation of hardware for SX which is then in turn hampered by having to get the game run on Series S.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
According to Digital Foundry, both of them have GPUs that are close in performance, similar to the RX 6700. In a video where they were trying to find if Starfield would run at 60 FPS on the Xbox Series X, they mentioned this and used the RX 6700 as the graphics card for their test system.

link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom