• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

can anyone give me one good reason as to why console exclusive to PC ports are a bad thing?

SLB1904

Banned
i'd say 15-17 million in 2 years is pretty good. doesn't have to hit 20 million within the first 2 years to sell well. especially considering the fact it's on record to beat the 360 which was their best selling console.
if exclusives coming to PC really made much of a difference, xbox would still be under 10 million sales by this point

Another example is nintendo, if you know where to look and have a capable PC you can emulate all of the switch's 1st party on a computer... yet the switch gravy train isn't stopping and it's fast on its way to dethrone the PS2 as the best selling game console
Lol
Are you really comparing thr hassle of emulation with pay and play?
Also no 15 to 17 mil almost 3 years isn't good at all.

Fredrik

Having access to exclusive games is in the DNA of the Playstation platform and the fanbase has mocked other platforms for several generation for not having enough exclusives or no true exclusives.
In short that’s the origin.
Some do like the feeling of knowing they’re playing the best possible version too, goes for Pro consoles as well. And now that means playing on a $4,000+ PC.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You only get the Best version on PC if you buy hardware that’s significantly more expensive than a console.
Wrong. Give me 1080p/60fps with minimum input lag and mouse+kb gunplay over 4fauksK 60fps with more input lag and potato dual sticks gunplay.
and it can often be inconvenient to hook up your PC to living room TVs.
That's a "you problem", not a PC problem.

SLB1904

Banned
Ask yourself this question

Why exclusives exists in the first place?
If you can answer that you got your answer

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Are you really comparing thr hassle of emulation with pay and play?
yes. Because emulation is pretty easy. get the emulator, get the game files, install, play
whether you can find those game files is the hard part
and... 15 mil in under 2 years is good??? this is 2022, the xbox came out in november 2020

Fbh

My one highly speculative and probably wrong argument that I nonetheless think could be valid is that it might reduce the variety of games made by console makers and their willingness to make more niche titles.
I've always wondered why Nintendo bothers funding games like Bayonetta which sell like crap compared to their core franchises. And my assumption has always been that it's an attempt to diversify their exclusives in order to bring a different audience to their platform. In a scenario where they go full third party they might no longer bother funding games like that and would instead focus entirely on games to maximize sales on PC/Steam Deck/other consoles.
Or remember when Microsoft funded games like Lost Odyssey in an attempt to appeal to Japan and fans of Japanese fans so they'd choose an Xbox over a Playstation? Would they still have funded a game like that if they were just trying to make something to sell many units on Pc/Ps3/Xbox?.

But again, that highly speculative and ever increasing game budgets as well as the profitability of GaaS are probably going to end pushing games in the same direction regardless of which platform they release on.
The rest is just angry console warrior seeing one of their main reasons to champion their console starting to disappear.

Ask yourself this question

Why exclusives exists in the first place?
If you can answer that you got your answer

It goes the other way around too.
"If Sony knows these reasons why do they still make PC ports".

And the answer is probably that they figured out that there's a massive number of PC players that just don't want a console and won't buy a console regardless of which exclusives you put on it. But they will buy your games if you make them available to them

MadPanda

Banned
Because our plastic box and more more importantly our life becomes meaningless. Isn't that enough?

That's what majority of people think I'd reckon. I don't care for it really as I gave up on pc gaming back in 2015 and I'm not planning to return.

I can guarantee you loads of people can. Just because the majority can't. A large chunk can. I'm not rich by any stretch of imagination. I got a good pc. Why would I spend more on console games if I can get cheaper a lot cheaper on PC? Give me a reason. Time will tell. Let's Sony do day and date then let's look at those console sales numbers

But a capable PC costs a lot more than a console. I'm not talking about the game sales.
Look at the price of an RTX 4090. That's just the GPU. My PC cost me 4 times the amount of a PS5 disc edition and that's minus my ultra wide, desk, chair and other shit.
Also some folks won't want to deal with an OS like Windows and all the headaches of driver updates etc. etc.

For some just throwing yourself on the couch and grabbing a controller is enough.

I only got my PC because stock for PS5 has been non existant in NZ since launch.
And I'm still getting one because I pumped thousands of dollars in games on my old PS4 (library is 100+ games)

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
yes. Because emulation is pretty easy. get the emulator, get the game files, install, play
whether you can find those game files is the hard part
and... 15 mil in under 2 years is good??? this is 2022, the xbox came out in november 2020
Lmfao
Why are you lying?
It was an hassle to get breath of the wild to run.
From setting up the emulator itself and all the steps.

Any way I'm out. Need to watch the game. This is pointless argument anyway. We aren't changing history here

feynoob

Banned
Release console exclusive on PC day and date there is no reason to get a console. Simple as that
That is plainly false.

Xbox games are on PC, yet I buy xbox consoles.

Whoever believes this needs to touch grass.

Not everyone likes to play on their PC all day. Plus couch play is still good way to play games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
on PC you can get a good TV experience too
you can, for steam
but for games you downloaded/installed from the internet or another launcher, you're gonna have to use your keyboard and mouse. if you only care about playing the games on a TV, yeah it works... but consoles have a UI optimized for controller only use

I don't think better tv use by itself is a good reason to spring for PC over console (nor is it a good reason to claim that PC cannot work with a TV since it clearly can) but it is a factor.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
How is not a bad thing. Start listing those pc AAA only games
to be a bit of a PCMR fanboy here, consoles becoming worthless/ceasing to exist would reduce the amount of brainless casuals that buy every new COD and fifa since those people likely don't have the brainpower to operate windows anyways. Seems like a good thing to me

SLB1904

Banned
That is plainly false.

Not everyone likes to play on their PC all day. Plus couch play is still good way to play games.
Yeah I guess my pc connected to my C2 is plainly false. My couch is a lie

to be a bit of a PCMR fanboy here, consoles becoming worthless/ceasing to exist would reduce the amount of brainless casuals that buy every new COD and fifa since those people likely don't have the brainpower to operate windows anyways. Seems like a good thing to me
That's a very reductive way to look at it. You lose those brain dead people. You lose investment.
Games are where they are today is because of the competition throughout the years. From Sega vs Nintendo fighting for players.

Dont forget about thst

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

It's been proven over and over that PC audience and console audience is not the same. Sony will retain their 100 + million console userbase while at the same time growing a fanbase on PC. Porting games to PC does not devalue your PS5 or the games coming to it. Get a fucking grip.

feynoob

Banned
How is not a bad thing. Start listing those pc AAA only games
Danny Devito Lol GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

Man said AAA pc games.

EA, take 2, Activision Blizzard, MS, Cdpr, and ubisoft. They are all major PC publishers, who make AAA PC games.

Man, you really need to get out forum world, and actually see the real world.

Topher

Gold Member
Makes there no reason to buy consoles and also a waste of time and resources which should be focused on making new games for their real consumer base.

So....what? Console gamers are going to be suddenly hypnotized into buying/building a $1000+ PC to play games on because the games now exist on PC?

Doesn't work that way. Console gamers will continue to play on consoles because they prefer them. God of War being on PC doesn't change that.

feynoob

Banned
Yeah I guess my pc connected to my C2 is plainly false. My couch is a lie
That is the expected response from you buddy.

Most people's pc isn't connected to TV. In fact, it's far away from the TV.

You only do couch, if you are lazy to play it on your monitor, which is the preferred way to play pc games.

Fredrik

That is plainly false.

This is me too. I have a 4090 PC and I have no plan to get rid of my Xbox Series X. And PS5 exclusives day 1 on PC wouldn’t be any different. And I play on Steam Deck too. And Switch. I guess I’m strange.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That's a very reductive way to look at it. You lose those brain dead people. You lose investment.
you gain more quality though. a gaming world where everyone who plays games are an enthusiast like you and me would have way better AAA games. gatekeeping exists for a reason, halo infinite, fallout 76, mass effect andromeda, battlefront 2 at launch... they're the result of a hobby and industry that isn't gatekept properly.
When you do gatekeep you get stuff like anime, which i'm sure you like

feynoob

Banned
So....what? Console gamers are going to be suddenly hypnotized into buying/building a $1000+ PC to play games on because the games now exist on PC?

Doesn't work that way. Console gamers will continue to play on consoles because they prefer them. God of War being on PC doesn't change that.
Look at my broke arse. I can't upgrade my PC, because money is very tight.

I am forced to play on old graphic card.

Unless you are loaded, you can't afford both pc and consoles at the same time.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Because people on internet forums dont have alot of other qualities outside of their choice of console, so they make it an inseperable part of their identities. If your a sony fan, and other people can play those games that were supposed to be just for you, because sony is a huge part of your identity, you feel less special. Feeling less special makes you lash out on internet forums. It helps that its anonymous so no one actually knows who the fucking cry baby is whining that others can touch their precious exclusives.

DavidGzz

No reason to buy consoles, less consoles sold, less games on consoles, in the end no console

PC has always been the best way to game. Most casual gamers still would never go PC. Your consoles will always be safe. Well, until streaming takes over, lol. That's the real threat to future console sales.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Wrong. Give me 1080p/60fps with minimum input lag and mouse+kb gunplay over 4fauksK 60fps with more input lag and potato dual sticks gunplay.

That seems like a you thing then. Because many gamers would rather play games with significantly better visuals. Not to mention that many games also play just as good or better with controllers.

That's a "you problem", not a PC problem.

That’s a comprehension problem for you. I’m clearly speaking about people and their circumstances vs ‘PC’ in general.
Many, many PC gamers aren’t able to conveniently output their games to their living room TVs.

I’m not sure why you’ve jumped into this discussion trying to model every PC gamer after yourself.

feynoob

Banned
you gain more quality though. a gaming world where everyone who plays games are an enthusiast like you and me would have way better AAA games. gatekeeping exists for a reason, halo infinite, fallout 76, mass effect andromeda, battlefront 2 at launch... they're the result of a hobby and industry that isn't gatekept properly.
When you do gatekeep you get stuff like anime, which i'm sure you like
Quality has nothing with those stuff.

Most of the time, Quality suffers due to bad management. For example, Cyberpunk 2077 suffered heavily, due to the management. Same thing for the games you listed.

Companies know people would pay for those games, no matter what. Saint rows, gta anniversary. They exploit that, in order to release unfinished games, then finish it later.

NickFire

From a business perspective I think it makes sense to release within eco-system first and on pc later on. But I see no benefit for anyone by permanently keeping exclusives off of pc. My library does not get better or worse when someone else can play the same games as me. And future games will not become better if a platform makes less money from a game than they could have.

feynoob

Banned
yes. That's why we gatekeep. To get rid of the people who would mindlessly buy those games regardless of if they were good or not.
Good luck with that.

Remember, you are fighting against idiots with big wallets. There is a reason why we use 🐳 term for those people.

Stuart360

There is no bad thing to it, in fact its a good thing for consumers as we get a choice where and how to play.

All the crying is simply console warring, manly due to Xbox getting trolled for years for putting their games on PC, and now Sony are doing it too.

At the end of the day, there will always be PC only gamers, console only gamers, and gamers that play on both.
PC's will still sell, consoles will still sell.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
From a business perspective I think it makes sense to release within eco-system first and on pc later on. But I see no benefit for anyone by permanently keeping exclusives off of pc. My library does not get better or worse when someone else can play the same games as me. And future games will not become better if a platform makes less money from a game than they could have.
It was a good thing 10 years ago. But now there is really no reason to not release it.

Every game is expensive to make now. And you are expecting to get that money back. And it's hard for 1 platform to support that. And if your game flops, you are losing alot of money. Profits aren't that much, since not every copy sells at $70 price. That means less revenue and less profit.

Games currently cost around 100m to 200m to make. Imagine how much it would cost in 5 to 10 years from now.

RaZoR No1

I play on consoles cause of physical games which weirdly aren’t supported on pc
Most of the physical games mean nothing on consoles.
With day one patches etc. a lot of the physical discs are useless and are there for just having a license.
Yes, yes, consoles are dead like PC gaming has always been. Get it out of your system and let's move on.
I own all of the current console (PS5 Disc, Xbox Series X, Switch and Gaming PC with RX 6900 XT) and mainly play on Xbox. It is a fact, if you have a lower installbase, small games will not be released on that said console. Bigger installbase can reach more people. With a small dev team, which one would you prefer? Look at games like Binding of Isaac for example. The devs simply didnt care about Xbox, got the DLC months later etc. Even something like Rocket League debuted on PS4 first and after a year or so Xbox got it too.
Exclusives and the eco system are one of the reason to choose a console or system over another one
You only get the Best version on PC if you buy hardware that’s significantly more expensive than a console.
Price will always favor the console space and price sensitive consumers will never stop being a thing.

Streaming from your PC has certain compromises for many people.

How does any of this matter to you as a consumer ?
1: the games itself are mostly cheaper on Pyc than on consoles, in the long term this could be in favour for PC gamers
2: depends on the consumer: want the best version? PC, want to play early or want a cheap entry into the ecosystem? Console
That's BS. There has never been a reason for consoles to even be a thing. Specialty home computers that do one thing? Why would the market want that?

Consoles will always exists, that's a dumb rationalization for console warring.
Of course they will "always" exist, but look at the current consoles. Currently we just have "custom" PC hardware with "custom" OS. The time where consoles were something special in hardware terms is long gone IMO
you can, for steam
but for games you downloaded/installed from the internet or another launcher, you're gonna have to use your keyboard and mouse. if you only care about playing the games on a TV, yeah it works... but consoles have a UI optimized for controller only use

I don't think better tv use by itself is a good reason to spring for PC over console (nor is it a good reason to claim that PC cannot work with a TV since it clearly can) but it is a factor.
Steam alone is enough for Couch PC games.
Evem the third party launchers are moving back to Steam again.
Steam and PC MS Store can be used with controllers.
Even beeing able to play all of the old games
I agree with you, but as a non-native speaker, I can't help but notice mistakes like these.
Fewer consoles sold, fewer games on consoles.
FU
/s
thanks for the info

Last edited:

NickFire

It was a good thing 10 years ago. But now there is really no reason to not release it.

Every game is expensive to make now. And you are expecting to get that money back. And it's hard for 1 platform to support that. And if your game flops, you are losing alot of money. Profits aren't that much, since not every copy sells at $70 price. That means less revenue and less profit.

Games currently cost around 100m to 200m to make. Imagine how much it would cost in 5 to 10 years from now.
I am not sure it actually was a good thing 10 years ago, but I otherwise agree with everything you wrote.

It might have been good 10 years ago. It also might have been a faulty premise 10 years ago. After all, at one point in time everyone thought the Earth was flat 10 years prior.

feynoob

Banned
I am not sure it actually was a good thing 10 years ago, but I otherwise agree with everything you wrote.

It might have been good 10 years ago. It also might have been a faulty premise 10 years ago. After all, at one point in time everyone thought the Earth was flat 10 years prior.
I think the games were cheaper to make during those times. So there was no profit issues.
Plus the labor cost was very cheap, compared to now.

Because people on internet forums dont have alot of other qualities outside of their choice of console, so they make it an inseperable part of their identities. If your a sony fan, and other people can play those games that were supposed to be just for you, because sony is a huge part of your identity, you feel less special. Feeling less special makes you lash out on internet forums. It helps that its anonymous so no one actually knows who the fucking cry baby is whining that others can touch their precious exclusives.
Thankfully the people who unironically refer to themselves as part of a master race solely because of the plastic box they own would never succumb to this behavior.

NickFire

I think the games were cheaper to make during those times. So there was no profit issues.
Plus the labor cost was very cheap, compared to now.
Those are good points. In that context it might have been a better move to protect the walled garden at all costs. Not 100% convinced, but I should not dismiss the value of building up a brand when the cost of protecting it was significantly cheaper.

Top Bottom