• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

can anyone give me one good reason as to why console exclusive to PC ports are a bad thing?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
From setting up the emulator itself and all the steps.
not much more of a hassle than setting up a console.
download bios/necessary files, configure controls (which are usually autoconfigured out of the box, like in retroarch), maybe set the location of where your games are stored (optional, you can just drag and drop the files into the emulator window, and those usually come with a predetermined 'games' folder inside the emulator's zip archive anyways) and then play.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
not much more of a hassle than setting up a console.
download bios/necessary files, configure controls (which are usually autoconfigured out of the box, like in retroarch), maybe set the location of where your games are stored (optional, you can just drag and drop the files into the emulator window) and then play.
Now I've read all 😆

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
you can, for steam
but for games you downloaded/installed from the internet or another launcher, you're gonna have to use your keyboard and mouse. if you only care about playing the games on a TV, yeah it works... but consoles have a UI optimized for controller only use

I don't think better tv use by itself is a good reason to spring for PC over console (nor is it a good reason to claim that PC cannot work with a TV since it clearly can) but it is a factor.
There are solutions for games outside Steam my dude. For example, I used to use DS4Windows to link my PS4's Dualshock to my laptop when I wanted to play something outside from Steam and it worked great.

In the end it's a matter of having the will to investigate and troubleshoot your own problems. Not everyone is able or wants to do that, and that's a good reason for consoles to keep existing even if exclusive titles end up going away.

Last edited:

Neofire

No reason to buy consoles, less consoles sold, less games on consoles, in the end no console
Bingo, less games sold on said console translates into less systems sold=a failure.......if you don't have q trillion dollar machine backing you up.

Sega found this out with the Dreamcast, hence why they are 3rd party today.

Kvally

Banned
How does it make consoles worthless though? Xbox is having record console sales. Switch is having record sales. PS5 would probably have record sales if there was enough stock. And we have more consoles games coming to PC than ever. Games coming to PC won't impact the success of consoles.

Last edited:

NickFire

PC is obviously more complicated than a console, but its not the 90's anymore. PC's are as 'plug and play' as they have ever been, and most stuff is automated anyway.
For many of us, saying PC gaming is plug and play will garner the same reaction as a plumber saying "changing a toilet is not that hard." :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I am not taking shots at any PC players. I'm just recognizing that some gamers (PC especially) are far more tech savvy than others.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
no, sega went third party because the saturn sucked fuck, costed them too much money, and the dreamcast didn't prevent their inevitable bankruptcy. also sony becoming the new sega in the sense that they were 'cool' and 'mature' but also didn't make terible business decisions.
the saturn had quite a few hidden gems but they were hidden gems because the saturn was so fucking badly handled and made that they were inevitably doomed to obscurity

Last edited:

fermcr

Consoles will keep selling. Games will keep selling on consoles. Sony and Microsoft will make more money by releasing their games on PC.
Fanboys don't agree with PC releases... because it's all about Bragging rights.

How are fanboys going to make their exclusive console games lists, when they have less and less exclusives?

PC has always been the best way to game. Most casual gamers still would never go PC. Your consoles will always be safe. Well, until streaming takes over, lol. That's the real threat to future console sales.

Not for a very long time. I don't think you'll get a good experience streaming competitive multiplayer games. The two can co-exist though.

In fact I want to see more games do what Crackdown 3 did by using the cloud to offload complex physics. I think that's really interesting tech from Xbox and I hope they build on that.

Stuart360

For many of us, saying PC gaming is plug and play will garner the same reaction as a plumber saying "changing a toilet is not that hard." :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I am not taking shots at any PC players. I'm just recognizing that some gamers (PC especially) are far more tech savvy than others.
Well i mean thats fine but PC really isnt complicated at all these days. Its barely a couple of levels above consoles in terms of gaming. I honestly cant even remember the last problem i had on PC, and even when i do, a simple Google search has always had the solution.

DavidGzz

Not for a very long time. I don't think you'll get a good experience streaming competitive multiplayer games. The two can co-exist though.

In fact I want to see more games do what Crackdown 3 did by using the cloud to offload complex physics. I think that's really interesting tech from Xbox and I hope they build on that.

I agree. It will be a while but it will still be sooner than PC having any chance of killing console gaming. Consoles, even among hardcore gamers, is still really prevalent. Let alone casuals. They will always see PC gaming as in intimidating, costly, or taking up too much time to fuss with. Even if it seems simple to us.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
far reach here:
It might lead to just less exclusives since you don't have to be competitive platform anymore and best AAA exclusives are best for platform competition... and best games.

if it was gamepass it would be easier - devaluing of games

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Will always be a spot for consoles even when Sony goes PC day and date (ok if)

Price price and price to name a few reasons

Plus a lot of gamers want to come home from putting in a long day at work, grab that controller plop down on the couch press a single button and jump into a game

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It might lead to just less exclusives since you don't have to be competitive platform anymore and best AAA exclusives are best for platform competition... and best games.
you still have to be competitive in the console market. i'm talking about console to pc ports here not console to console.

PC and console are very different markets.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
you still have to be competitive in the console market. i'm talking about console to pc ports here not console to console.

PC and console are very different markets.
you would think so but look at xbox? They are not competitive anymore at all with exclusives and good games.
They just are competitive with gamepass and LOAD OF GAMES. not their games. And they still sell ok

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Come to think of it, I can't think of many exclusive titles that I would consider to be top of the crop. Bloodborne, Persona 5 and God of War's reboot come to mind, but aside from that, not much else for me. Oh and HL: Alyx too.

I think would be happy without exclusives. Some people seem to think that those games are the ones pushing the industry forward but for me it's exactly the opposite: they are products focused on selling, so they will have awesome graphics but at the same time most of them will go the safe route when it comes to gameplay design. 0 innovation and 0 risk, since those could hurt sales. An example of this could be Sony exclusives, since 90% of the time they have a bow, crafting mechanics, climbing of some sort and are story focused third-person adventures. It's a formula that works, but for me it feels stagnated already.

I'll be much happier with an industry which produced smaller games but more innovative. Gamepass or other services like it could be good for that, and some companies like Square seem to be into smaller games (while still making their cool AAA ones) too which is great from my point of view.

People making good points. The one thing that does bug me is seeing a used copy of a game in a store for $11.99…But then go on Steam and see the same game going for $30-$40. So I can see why a consumer might stick to console for cost savings. On the other hand I don’t have to pay for PSPlus or XboxLive just to play online.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
you would think so but look at xbox? They are not competitive anymore at all with exclusives and good games.
They just are competitive with gamepass and LOAD OF GAMES. not their games. And they still sell ok
they are competitive with gamepass. not PC sales, gamepass. PC didn't really affect their sales much, it didnt bolster them neither did it kill them.
now yes they certainly ARE less competitive, i came to that realization not too long ago, but thats mainly because gamepass gives them a form of passive revenue that makes exclusives nearly worthless to them.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
PlayStation players will tell you a million reasons why they choose consoles over PCs.
But the moment it concerns their games coming to PC, the sky is falling and everyone’s going to leave PlayStation for PC. Comfy couch is suddenly not comfy.
“It just works” no longer matters all of a sudden.

Have they been lying this whole time?

I'll be much happier with an industry which produced smaller games but more innovative. Gamepass or other services like it could be good for that, and some companies like Square seem to be into smaller games (while still making their cool AAA ones) too which is great from my point of view.
Gamepass gives even less incentive to produce risky games, as you cannot win big.
It's like startups in USSR they didn't exist...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
One actual reason is that it will be pretty much impossible to make a PS5 game that pushes the SSD to the limits, because the subset of gaming PCs that can even remotely match that throughput is far too small to justify a PC port. That will change, but it's the current situation.

TintoConCasera

Gamepass gives even less incentive to produce risky games, as you cannot win big.
It's like startups in USSR they didn't exist...
Maybe, but you also can't lose big, hence it's safer to take the risk.

And I don't know about not being able to win big, why? Maybe not lots of money, but if a new dev makes a title that's available for a lot of people for "free" then that dev will become famous and probably have a bigger budget or at least more attention from the public for his next projects, which is a real win imho.

I'm not an expert on the Gamepass matter tho, so bear with me if I'm saying something stupid here. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

GreatnessRD

These comments are insane. Just because a game being available on PC doesn't make the console worthless. Not everyone wants the experience of a PC and that's ok. One of the reasons that consoles are still around along with price. If you psychopaths weren't aware, Sony still can't keep a full stock of PS5s on shelves when they are available. PC over the covid era saw one of its biggest rises ever and people were still trying to knock down doors for a PS5. Console game isn't going anywhere and you clownboys need to relax. Christ, lol.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Bingo, less games sold on said console translates into less systems sold=a failure.......if you don't have q trillion dollar machine backing you up.

Yeah, Dreamcast games were selling 20-40 millions copies each, and suddenly it just died. Total mystery.

Just fn fanboys. I love having these. Since sony doesn't make a handheld anymore, having them on pc is so great! My steam deck can play all these games on the go. Whats not to love. And I can play then on ps5 for tv action or tv.
Usually the games will be discounted as there is no (nintendo tax) and I can grab them a year later for a few bucks during a steam sale.

As for Microsoft, glad they do it too. I don't own an xbox and never have. I can play the games not being released on ps5 on my pc or steam deck. Starfield will be mine.
I just hope they launch on steam and not the crapy ms store. And sony better not get a launcher either.
If they don't release on steam, no steam deck game for me and so no buy. They loose my money. They would be stupid to not launch future games on steam now.

Last edited:
i don’t think most people care…maybe when they first started talking about it there was some growing pains but most people i think would rather playstation exclusives do bigger lifetime numbers and continue to fund more games.

Doesn’t make sense to have big games launch on playstation and after a year just start to rot away on ps plus or greatest hits collections not generating more money. If the can sell an extra million copies at full priced on pc later its would be stupid not to.

I’d prefer that than what ubisoft is doing by adding MTX and lite gated progression systems into single player games.

Also, I’ve played on pc for years, im ok with the simplicity and ease of plug and play consoles as I assume most people are outside of thee game enthusiast circles

Last edited:
Never understood this mindset. Fanboyism?

I have a PS5 and a PC both hooked up to the same TV running through a 5.1 HTR and I love every minute of it. I usually use a controller when I PC so it's like having two consoles for me.

Sony also needs to diversify what with all the studio and publisher acquisitions. This is something they have to do so might as well embrace more folks enjoying your fav PS5 exclusive.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Never understood this mindset. Fanboyism?

I have a PS5 and a PC both hooked up to the same TV running through a 5.1 HTR and I love every minute of it. I usually use a controller when I PC so it's like having two consoles for me.

Sony also needs to diversify what with all the studio and publisher acquisitions. This is something they have to do so might as well embrace more folks enjoying your fav PS5 exclusive.
you playing pc games with a controller? Even shooter types like maybe resident evil 2 or village?
I am more comfortable playing with controller but I always end up playing with mouse and keyboard on pc anyway... aside form souls. This is controller always

Edgelord79

Gold Member
F
There isn't one. The more access to a game, the better. Ignore fanboys.

I say this as someone who only games on consoles.
Not good logic here.

Consoles serve as a low barrier of entry compared to PC. They serve a purpose that a PC can’t provide. Not a good comparison.

SSfox

More games to PC means less consoles sales, less game sales on their plateform (100% profit not just 70 like when they sell in PC), less people will sub to PS+, and less people will buy 3rd party games on PC.

Yes, for now PS5 sales are OK, but for now... cause they lied to people at the start, and still holding to releasing every games on PC, but if they start to release everything to PC with day and date/ or 1 year exclusive (1 year is nothing), when PS6 will be revealed, Sony would have lost credibility and the console won't have momentum cause people will know and remember the big lies from Sony at early PS5 so they won't believe Sony again.

I myself considering going full PC + Switch (or whatever next Nintendo console will be). Why should i support those morons that don't have a clear vision anymore? And that just randomly following what ther other guy does? Nonsens.

Microsoft are Microsoft, they were already lost so they had nothing to lose when they gone all out on PC, and their games weren't also selling too great anyways... That's a case of someone trying different stuffs cause it didn't worked for them, so it made sens for them, but wouldn't make sens for Sony and Nintendo (and that's why N don't do it)

Kokoloko85

Nintendo and Playstation have had plenty success with 1st party and 3rd party exclusives. Especially last gen.
It gives a unique selling point for the console

Most of the physical games mean nothing on consoles.
With day one patches etc. a lot of the physical discs are useless and are there for just having a license.

I own all of the current console (PS5 Disc, Xbox Series X, Switch and Gaming PC with RX 6900 XT) and mainly play on Xbox. It is a fact, if you have a lower installbase, small games will not be released on that said console. Bigger installbase can reach more people. With a small dev team, which one would you prefer? Look at games like Binding of Isaac for example. The devs simply didnt care about Xbox, got the DLC months later etc. Even something like Rocket League debuted on PS4 first and after a year or so Xbox got it too.
Exclusives and the eco system are one of the reason to choose a console or system over another one

1: the games itself are mostly cheaper on Pyc than on consoles, in the long term this could be in favour for PC gamers
2: depends on the consumer: want the best version? PC, want to play early or want a cheap entry into the ecosystem? Console

Of course they will "always" exist, but look at the current consoles. Currently we just have "custom" PC hardware with "custom" OS. The time where consoles were something special in hardware terms is long gone IMO

Steam alone is enough for Couch PC games.
Evem the third party launchers are moving back to Steam again.
Steam and PC MS Store can be used with controllers.
Even beeing able to play all of the old games

FU
/s
thanks for the info
You are aware you don’t need Internet to play a physical game right?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
More games to PC means less consoles sales, less game sales on their plateform (100% profit not just 70 like when they sell in PC), less people will sub to PS+, and less people will buy 3rd party games on PC.
except when the games aren't day and date and are released a couple months-2 years after their initial debut, then all of those are literally negated.. just so happens to be the strategy sony is trying here

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Explain to me how this is bad for consumers.

you playing pc games with a controller? Even shooter types like maybe resident evil 2 or village?
I am more comfortable playing with controller but I always end up playing with mouse and keyboard on pc anyway... aside form souls. This is controller always
I find kb/m not comfortable. so I look for pc games that are controller friendly. Or controller with a keyboard for some easy quick commands- Valheim works great this way for example. I'm more an rpg/sim/strategy with an occasional action game so been dealing with it fine.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I find kb/m not comfortable. so I look for pc games that are controller friendly. Or controller with a keyboard for some easy quick commands- Valheim works great this way for example. I'm more an rpg/sim/strategy with an occasional action game so been dealing with it fine.
You need to experiment with different mice shapes. I was using ergo shape for the longest time and then I found out that, for my 1-3-1 fingertip grip, I really prefer ambi mice. And of course cloth mousepad!
But generally, yeah. There is nothing as comfy as leaning back with the controller

Corndog

Banned
There have been a loud, obnoxious, minority of people on this board actually fucking going mad whenever they see a new Playstation to PC port.

What is the harm of allowing more people to experience the games that you love? Why the hell is Miles Morales or whatever going to PC a bad thing? How is the games being made for PC supposedly harmful to their visuals and quality? Gears 5, MS Flight Simulator, Forza Horizon 5, and many third party titles all look and play great despite being made with computers in mind. The games are still on Playstation, they will likely come to Playstation first, so what's the big problem here?

I actually don't fucking understand these people.

Reaction GIF by The Weather Channel
Nope.

Keihart

it's pretty obvious, doesn't mean you have to agree.
Either way, there is no way back, doesn't matter if we like it or not, PS is migrating to PC and so is xbox, the only question is when is NIntendo gonna do it or if they are gonna stay strong and take over the console space next gen.

who knows, maybe VR is gonna prolong the console cycle for PS, pretty sure those are not gonna get ported to PC soon.

Guilty_AI

Nope, it doesn't work like that. Any country or even corporation where you cannot win big has close to zero innovation. Not just "less innovation" - zero, no innovation.
I think you're missing the forest for the trees mate. You don't "win big" with a single product, its a process.

Think of the following:
-One new developer creates a new innovative game, but that game doesn't get a lot of attention because they lack the mindshare, marketing budget and the game itself is low budget.
-However, because that game is indeed good, they start building up a small fanbase, and gamepass here would help spreading the word about their game.
-Now that they managed to get some space on the market, they start making a sequel, or another game that builds up and expands on the originals ideas.
-That game will get more attention, potentially sell more, or if put on gamepass, MS would be willing to pay more for it since it'll get more players.
-And so it goes, with solid foundations and a proper inflow of cash they can now expand their studio and ideas even more, or work with new ones that can go on to eventually net them even more alongside their previous product, even if not on the first try.

Last edited:
Because we didnt have walled gardens on PC until Epic started their console style moneyhatting.
What do you call that shit store called the MS store. The one that you can't even install mods as the files are locked down for windows. Its windows but its not. Its like cancer section of your pc that you can't see. I hate it. After buying forza 7 and having so many issues with it, never again. It also prevents from playing on steam deck. I hate the epic store too, but at least i can attempt to get them running on deck.

Stuart360

What do you call that shit store called the MS store. The one that you can't even install mods as the files are locked down for windows. Its windows but its not. Its like cancer section of your pc that you can't see. I hate it. After buying forza 7 and having so many issues with it, never again. It also prevents from playing on steam deck. I hate the epic store too, but at least i can attempt to get them running on deck.
MS store isnt a walled garden though as its their games. Same with Uplay and Origin. If EA and Ubisoft want to put their OWN games on their store, thats fine.
Its different with Epic ias they are moneyhatting third party games.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
That seems like a you thing then. Because many gamers would rather play games with significantly better visuals. Not to mention that many games also play just as good or better with controllers.
Then again its a you problem if you prefer visuals over performance and gameplay.
Many, many PC gamers aren’t able to conveniently output their games to their living room TVs.
What is so difficulty in plugging a HDMI cable on the TV?

Top Bottom